Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Nice Interview with Bernard from The Buffalo News
Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: July 11, 2015 03:19

Re: Nice Interview with Bernard from The Buffalo News
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 11, 2015 03:29

And a nice companion piece attached: 10 Things to Know If You're Going To the Rolling Stomes Show

[buffalo.com]

Inclunding number 4:

Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts are expected to strut on stage at around 9:15 p.m., with the show starting at 8 p.m. and ending at around 11 p.m.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: July 11, 2015 07:38

Bernard has some cojones to talk about Daryl's effect on the band this way:

"A: Man, you nailed it. All of a sudden, there was a lot more roll in that rock ’n’ roll. (laughs) He’s an unbelievable musician, and yeah, he definitely gave the band a new lease on life. It just got funkier and better, while still sounding like the Stones."

Soon there will be pages of Bernard haters to rival those who despise Chuck. "Funkier and better" ouch.

T@3

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 11, 2015 08:33

I'm generally okay with Darryl's bass playing, but there is a moment of his bass work on NO SECURITY's You Got Me Rocking I can't stand, and his jazzy solo during the Stray Cat Blues on the FOUR FLICKS Paris DVD makes me wanna puke. It sounds like the bass in the SEINFELD theme song for Christ's sake. Awful. No complaints like that about Bill ever.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 11, 2015 08:37

My god I don't know what the Stones would have done the last 26 years without Bernard Fowler. Some people say he could be replaced tomorrow by one of a thousand funkier and better backup singers and no one would notice. Him and Darryl combined have taken the Stones in such daring directions. And what an ear for music. The Stones are better now than they've ever been, huh? With Darryl's noodling, Chuck's tinkling, and Bernard's distinctive 'Whoo Whoos' during Sympathy, the Stones have crested anew. Ask Dylan.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 11, 2015 09:13

"A: Man, you nailed it. All of a sudden, there was a lot more roll in that rock ’n’ roll. (laughs) He’s an unbelievable musician, and yeah, he definitely gave the band a new lease on life.
It just got funkier and better, while still sounding like the Stones."

- What a load of crap. Would he dare saying that to Bill? He's a lucky bastard though, Bernard. Travel the world in first class doing a little backup singing twice a week. And probably making big bucks at the same time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-11 12:18 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: July 11, 2015 10:42

Title5Take1
I'm generally okay with Darryl's bass playing, but there is a moment of his bass work on NO SECURITY's You Got Me Rocking I can't stand, and his jazzy solo during the Stray Cat Blues on the FOUR FLICKS Paris DVD makes me wanna puke. It sounds like the bass in the SEINFELD theme song for Christ's sake. Awful. No complaints like that about Bill ever.

He adds nothing musically and they showcase him, but only let Bill do 2 songs.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 11, 2015 12:36

Brstonesfan
Title5Take1

bill quit the band? daryl did not?

Date: July 11, 2015 18:21

Turner68
Brstonesfan
Title5Take1

bill quit the band? daryl did not?

And how does that matter when assessing the current state of the band's sound?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 11, 2015 18:43

Nothing personal against Mr. Fowler, I've just been listening for quite a while and still haven't quite figured out what "special" he brings to the table. Like the rest of the hired hands he seems to enthusiastically tow the party line...these guys never fail to mention how great Mick is.

His comment on the band being better with Darryl joining and giving them a new lease on life destroys his credibility as far as I'm concerned but I'm guessing he's better friends with Darryl than he ever was with Bill. The companion piece sort of makes up for it by mentioning Bill will be joining them onstage tonight. Wouldn't we all be surprised and delighted if it were true?!

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: July 11, 2015 19:36

Naturalust
Nothing personal against Mr. Fowler, I've just been listening for quite a while and still haven't quite figured out what "special" he brings to the table. Like the rest of the hired hands he seems to enthusiastically tow the party line...these guys never fail to mention how great Mick is.

His comment on the band being better with Darryl joining and giving them a new lease on life destroys his credibility as far as I'm concerned but I'm guessing he's better friends with Darryl than he ever was with Bill. The companion piece sort of makes up for it by mentioning Bill will be joining them onstage tonight. Wouldn't we all be surprised and delighted if it were true?!

smileys with beer

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 11, 2015 20:09

SomeTorontoGirl
And a nice companion piece attached: 10 Things to Know If You're Going To the Rolling Stomes Show

[buffalo.com]

Inclunding number 4:

Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts are expected to strut on stage at around 9:15 p.m., with the show starting at 8 p.m. and ending at around 11 p.m.

What about Mick Taylor???

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: July 11, 2015 20:10

Stoneage
"A: Man, you nailed it. All of a sudden, there was a lot more roll in that rock ’n’ roll. (laughs) He’s an unbelievable musician, and yeah, he definitely gave the band a new lease on life.

- What a load of crap. Would he dare saying that to Bill? He's a lucky bastard though, Bernard. Travel the world in first class doing a little backup singing twice a week. And probably making big bucks at the same time.

+ 1.

Sad comment.
Flattering and flattering.
Journalist praises Darryl
Bernard praises journalist for prasing Darryl ('Man, you nailed it').
I guess Bernard is more at ease with Darryl because he is a session guy as well.
Total lack of respect for Bill
To be fair, the Stones themselves have accustomed us to this corporate BS: "new is better".
Last time was about playing better without MT (2015) while they said the opposite when MT was on board.
I miss Bill, even Darryl does a flawless and quite annoying job.

Date: July 11, 2015 20:22

The Joker
Stoneage

+ 1.

Sad comment.
I guess Bernard is more at ease with Darryl because he is a session guy as well.
To be fair, the Stones themselves have accustomed us to this corporate BS: "new is better".
Last time was about playing better without MT (2015) while they said the opposite when MT was on board.

I think what annoys me the most is Darryl practically refuses to play the bass parts the way they are on the record. That's okay if he was injecting some new emotional gravitas to a song, but he doesn't. I think he's being dismissive of what the Stones created, and doesn't respect their fans. Which, again, is fine if he was adding something. If this allegedly great jazz bass player would deign to give us what he's being paid to do, and lower himself to our level, that would be nice. Instead he takes a big steaming Stanley Clarke all over what is supposed to be rock and roll.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: July 11, 2015 20:43

24FPS
The Joker
Stoneage

+ 1.

Sad comment.

I think what annoys me the most is Darryl practically refuses to play the bass parts the way they are on the record. That's okay if he was injecting some new emotional gravitas to a song, but he doesn't. I think he's being dismissive of what the Stones created, and doesn't respect their fans. Which, again, is fine if he was adding something. If this allegedly great jazz bass player would deign to give us what he's being paid to do, and lower himself to our level, that would be nice. Instead he takes a big steaming Stanley Clarke all over what is supposed to be rock and roll.

Well, about this, I would venture in some conspirary theory

The older the Stones and their audience get, the more massive the shows get, the more they need security. Hence, the need of more session persons (Chuck, Bernard, Darryl, Lisa) to secure the show, offer a flawless sound that balance with the own Stones discrepancies (KR, and RW sometimes).

BTW, this reference of "more roll" in the rock and roll has been used over and over, it was a favorite Keith line.

However, true, DJ could try BW lines.. He said he does it on big hits, like Satisfaction.. But styles differ a lot. Fingers for DJ, thumb (or pick) for BW.
Look what said BW about DJ playing on Miss You. Was not too happy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-11 20:53 by The Joker.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 11, 2015 21:28

The Joker
24FPS
The Joker
Stoneage

+ 1.

Sad comment.

Well, about this, I would venture in some conspirary theory

The older the Stones and their audience get, the more massive the shows get, the more they need security. Hence, the need of more session persons (Chuck, Bernard, Darryl, Lisa) to secure the show, offer a flawless sound that balance with the own Stones discrepancies (KR, and RW sometimes).

BTW, this reference of "more roll" in the rock and roll has been used over and over, it was a favorite Keith line.

However, true, DJ could try BW lines.. He said he does it on big hits, like Satisfaction.. But styles differ a lot. Fingers for DJ, thumb (or pick) for BW.
Look what said BW about DJ playing on Miss You. Was not too happy

I think if he were just copying Bill's parts many would be criticizing him for lack of originality. I actually have a bit of respect for him for doing that, however I don't particularly like what he has done with the Stones.

I find myself wondering who could have brought their own style to the Stones and made the music better and realize that the Stones are perfectly happy with someone who isn't particularly standing out, gets along with everyone, makes Charlie happy and can play competently. It's the Mick, Keith Ronnie and Charlie show first and foremost.

No sure Bill should give a hoot what Darryl plays on Miss You. Bills parts are immortalized on the record, his vested interest in the live performance is tenuous at best and I would think if Darryl was blowing him away and playing better he would be more concerned about his being marginalized. He should be delighted actually. smoking smiley

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 12, 2015 02:41

kleermaker
What about Mick Taylor???

Not invited, if YouTube is to be believed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1802
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home