Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Jim Dickinson entertaining & insightful backstories to Muscle Shoals [video]
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: July 3, 2015 03:22

hi all - I posted these links in a slimly read thread yesterday about Gimme Shelter.

Checked to see whether this interview had ever been posted before, and didn't see evidence of that, going back to 2009 when it was produced.

It's some great backstories to the Muscle Shoals recording sessions (as well as, more broadly, insights into songwriting, intra-band dynamics, and where the Stones "were at" in the days after the 1969 proper--i.e., between the Palm Beach Festival and Altamont (December 2, 3, 4, 1969).

Each part is 12-14 minutes, so at close to 1/2 an hour is a time commitment. But if you can make the space and time to ease into Dickinson's slow mellow storytelling vibe you won't regret it!

Part 1

Part 2

- swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-03 03:23 by swiss.

Re: Jim Dickinson entertaining & insightful backstories to Muscle Shoals [video]
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 3, 2015 03:26

Hey Swiss...

The Links aren't coming up for me... a few bugs still from the recent upgrade, I'm assuming. Others may be able to see.. but nothing for me..

Re: Jim Dickinson entertaining & insightful backstories to Muscle Shoals [video]
Date: July 3, 2015 04:01

MisterDDDD
Hey Swiss...

The Links aren't coming up for me... a few bugs still from the recent upgrade, I'm assuming. Others may be able to see.. but nothing for me..

Thanks so much, MisterDDDD!

I think this is the workaround for that li'l issue. Hope it works for you!

-swiss

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 3, 2015 04:44

Awesome! Thanks!

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 3, 2015 05:30

Great interviews

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 3, 2015 05:35

Cool swiss, thanks!

I enjoyed that, especially the second clip. Heard these stories many times including both Keith and Stanley Booth's books but it's great to hear it from the horses mouth with a bit more detail.

Obviously the Stones changed this guys life. Love the way he pronounces The Rolling Stones with the accent on the Rolling.

When he talks about the bag man Tony passed out by the tack piano I assume he's talking about Spanish Tony? Can't remember from his book if he was at these sessions or not.

Also kind of confirms the whole Mick and Keith doing all the writing that has been discussed to death here the last few days. "Taylor hadn't said a word in 3 days"

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 3, 2015 06:05

He actually specifically says it isn't Spanish tony but rather someone else

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: July 3, 2015 06:47

It's Tony Funches.

Date: July 3, 2015 06:51

shawnriffhard1
It's Tony Funches.

Thanks. I notice he is trying to fund a book about his adventures.

[www.gofundme.com]

Posted by: mrpaulincanada ()
Date: July 3, 2015 07:03

Tony Fuches

The Stones Security man...

Date: July 3, 2015 08:22

Naturalust
shawnriffhard1
It's Tony Funches.

Thanks. I notice he is trying to fund a book about his adventures.

[www.gofundme.com]

He has amazing stories. He is a man of integrity, insight, and intellectual strength. The first time we spoke I found myself asking "Did anyone have any idea how brilliant you are?" I think he answered (I have it "on tape" ), "I wasn't being paid to be brilliant."

However, I'm finding, most people who have gotten anywhere near the Stones are pretty bright, and pretty special. They Stones, after all, are an elite; they're connoisseurs.

Incidentally, Tony wasn't "the bag man," and he wasn't from Detroit. He and his people are from LA and East Bay (up here). Tony visited someone very dear to me on his birthday, a day when he didn't have as much company as would have been ideal. They crossed paths many years ago, up here in the Bay Area, but they had never formally met. It meant a lot to my beloved to connect with Tony. I'll always appreciate his joining us that day. Tony is kind and funny as hell, thoughtful, provocative, political, and passionate. From what I understand his books is coming well - it'll be a great read and give us plentiful new insights.

- swiss

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-03 08:23 by swiss.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: July 3, 2015 15:13

I remember reading somewhere that Jim never got paid for those sessions.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 3, 2015 16:19

What a GREAT intervieW, thank you!

C

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 3, 2015 16:26

Thank you for sharing these videos, swiss! thumbs up

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 3, 2015 16:29

Got it now, swiss and thanks for the help! And the links.. Great interview.

Date: July 4, 2015 07:14

What happened to swiss!? I guess she has been banned?? One of the most thoughtful and thought provoking posters on this board. I must have missed something here.

I hope this is just a mistake because we need more posters like her on this board not less, imo.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 4, 2015 08:58

That is a great interview. Although I don't believe "Skydog slaver' is in the finished version or any bootlegged version. I enjoyed Jim's memories of the sessions. Definitely worth watching.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 4, 2015 09:23

Naturalust
What happened to swiss!? I guess she has been banned?? One of the most thoughtful and thought provoking posters on this board. I must have missed something here.

I hope this is just a mistake because we need more posters like her on this board not less, imo.

I noticed she was banned. I hope she can be here again soon. confused smiley

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: July 4, 2015 11:48

Naturalust

confused smiley Yes what happened?
People like swiss are an important factor in the success of this board. She was delivering a level of quality lot's of people will never reach.
We all enjoy posts from someone who's looking to find more insights into various aspects of the RS - about MJ's flirting or about song credits and anything in between: that's the core business of IORR.
Especially someone from our top 5 regarding the desire to search for and publish about facts should not only be respected by fellow posters.

Getting her banned is not at all a valuable contribution because it's not on par with the values I think this community should have: striving for that level of quality with serious posters like her.
It think it's a mistake and she should be asked to continue posting.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 4, 2015 11:55

Dreamer
Naturalust

People like swiss are an important factor in the success of this board. She was delivering a level of quality lot's of people will never reach.
We all enjoy posts from someone who's looking to find more insights into various aspects of the RS - about MJ's flirting or about song credits and anything in between: that's the core business of IORR.
Especially someone from our top 5 regarding the desire to search for and publish about facts should not only be respected by fellow posters.

Getting her banned is not at all a valuable contribution because it's not on par with the values I think this community should have: striving for that level of quality with serious posters like her.

She started an off topic thread on ice cream which was subsequently deleted by bv.
She then started another thread asking why it had been deleted and then later changed the subject name back to one about ice cream. I guess that bv thought she was pushing her luck and banned her.
It's very sad that she has been banned but perhaps she should have taken the hint.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-04 15:03 by Deltics.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 4, 2015 12:07

Deltics
She started an off topic thread on ice cream which was subsequently deleted by bv.
She then started another thread asking why it had been deleted and then later changed the subject name back to ice cream. I guess that bv thought she was pushing her luck and banned her.
It's very sad that she has been banned but perhaps she should have taken the hint.

I find all of that surprising in several sorry-making ways at once.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: July 4, 2015 12:16

Deltics
Dreamer
Naturalust

She then started another thread asking why it had been deleted and then later changed the subject name back to ice cream. I guess that bv thought she was pushing her luck and banned her.

Thank you for the information Deltics!
Ok ice cream...but perhaps he should have taken the hint..?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 4, 2015 14:03

Rocky Dijon
That is a great interview. Although I don't believe "Skydog slaver' is in the finished version or any bootlegged version.
I enjoyed Jim's memories of the sessions. Definitely worth watching.

Definitely worth watching and very enjoyable, although some of it is at odds with what other sources say about the sessions.
Something missing from the thread (besides the OP, which is hopefully only temporary!) are the Muscle Shoals bits from the film:

You Gotta Move & Wild Horses: [www.youtube.com]

Brown Sugar excerpt: [www.youtube.com]

Date: July 4, 2015 14:27

Dreamer
Deltics
Dreamer
Naturalust

Thank you for the information Deltics!
Ok ice cream...but perhaps he should have taken the hint..?

Yes thanks. Is ice cream and food a taboo subject here?

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 4, 2015 14:31

Lactose intolerance.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2166
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home