Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Rolling Stones Song Choices
Posted by: RS ()
Date: June 2, 2015 06:28

What songs should be in the concerts? Or just suggestions, I know there has been some complaining about setlists. I think they should play Wild Horses, Ruby Tuesday, or Get Off My Cloud!

-RS

Re: Rolling Stones Song Choices
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 2, 2015 06:35

I would like to see them do an all-reggae / funk show

Hey Negrita
Cherry oh baby
Luxury
Etc

Date: June 2, 2015 06:37

Turner68
I would like to see them do an all-reggae / funk show

Hey Negrita
Cherry oh baby
Luxury
Etc

That would be cool, I'd look to see Jagger on that stage! smiling smiley

-RS

Date: June 2, 2015 06:46

Another few would be Paint it Black, Jumping Jack Flash, Bi**, Brown Sugar, Gimme Shelter, Start Me Up, and Honky Tonk Women!

-RS

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 2, 2015 06:57

There are so many threads and discussions on this topic you should probably do some searching and browsing on this site if you want more information. I assure the topic has been well discussed.

But to simplify years of discussion for you since you're new here:

It seems that most folks are just tired of hearing concerts with 2/3 of the same songs for the last couple of decades or more. They have a huge catalog to draw from and most complaints are that they don't draw from it more and stick to pretty much the same "warhorses". They might be the very songs you want to hear but lots of people on here have been to dozens of shows and/or have expectations of a more adventurous and creative approach to the setlists.

I'm curious what your 11 year old perspective is on the Stones vs. other "new" acts is. Do you like or listen to pop, rap or hip hop? Since the Stones are probably at least as old as your graqndparents, do you consider them an "oldies" band? What drew you to them in the first place?

Anyway welcome to the site and I look forward to your relatively innocent and fresh perspective.

peace

Date: June 2, 2015 07:08

Naturalust
There are so many threads and discussions on this topic you should probably do some searching and browsing on this site if you want more information. I assure the topic has been well discussed.

But to simplify years of discussion for you since you're new here:

It seems that most folks are just tired of hearing concerts with 2/3 of the same songs for the last couple of decades or more. They have a huge catalog to draw from and most complaints are that they don't draw from it more and stick to pretty much the same "warhorses". They might be the very songs you want to hear but lots of people on here have been to dozens of shows and/or have expectations of a more adventurous and creative approach to the setlists.

I'm curious what your 11 year old perspective is on the Stones vs. other "new" acts is. Do you like or listen to pop, rap or hip hop? Since the Stones are probably at least as old as your graqndparents, do you consider them an "oldies" band? What drew you to them in the first place?

Anyway welcome to the site and I look forward to your relatively innocent and fresh perspective.

peace

Thanks very much to making me more clear of how other people think of that. I kinda got introduced to the Rolling Stones from my dad... Ever since the concert got out we have been listening to Rolling Stones ALOT! I don't consider them "oldies" actually, well mostly since Mick still has his moves and his voice. They don't seem really old to me I guess. I listen to pop but lately I have been drawn to rock stations including The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Eagles, etc. It's odd now thinking about my perspective, I guess I'm transferring from new to older music. I still listen to the newer music at my house sometimes but now it's mostly Rolling Stones!!!!!

-RS

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: June 2, 2015 07:13

Honestly I loved the setlist they did. I understand that there are people here who have seen them dozens of times and I guess are tired of just the greatest hits. But I can't imagine any Stones show ever being boring! I just loved seeing them. However, some songs that I think would be really cool live are
-Luxury
-You Don't Have to Mean It
-How Can I Stop
-Silver Train
-Rock And a Hard Place
-Can't Be Seen
-The Last Time
-Under My Thumb
-Connection
-Little T&A
-Ruby Tuesday
-Sparks Will Fly
Just to name a few

Date: June 2, 2015 07:15

I agree with you 100% stones2000! I love the setlist they did!

-RS

Date: June 2, 2015 07:21

RS

Thanks very much to making me more clear of how other people think of that. I kinda got introduced to the Rolling Stones from my dad... Ever since the concert got out we have been listening to Rolling Stones ALOT! I don't consider them "oldies" actually, well mostly since Mick still has his moves and his voice. They don't seem really old to me I guess. I listen to pop but lately I have been drawn to rock stations including The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Eagles, etc. It's odd now thinking about my perspective, I guess I'm transferring from new to older music. I still listen to the newer music at my house sometimes but now it's mostly Rolling Stones!!!!!

-RS

My pleasure RS and thank you for replying to my inquiries. You seem wise beyond your years and obviously have a good ear for music. smiling smiley

A lot of us are a bit disappointed in the direction popular music has taken and believe the rock we grew up with is more musical, more creative and the best the world has to offer (so far). I guess every generation might feel that way about the music they grew up with, but some of us would like to believe that there was something extra special about rock music. Your attraction to it helps to affirm that belief, thanks for that!

peace

Date: June 2, 2015 07:26

Thank you that's very nice of you to say! Rock does have a special place in music. I honestly never quite thought this hard about it but I think Rock beats Pop by quite a distance!

-RS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-02 16:37 by RS.

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: June 2, 2015 07:30

RS

-RS

Thanks! Yeah, I mean the Stones are the Stones. Doesn't matter what they play

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: June 2, 2015 07:39

love the band as much as I love meatloaf, but not every night for the past 50 years.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: June 2, 2015 08:40

Coming Down Again
Time Waits For No one/Winter(with MT coming back for the last concerts of the tour)
Dance pt 1
That's How Strong My Love Is
Neighbours

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: June 2, 2015 15:16

They could easily do songs like Lady Jane, Silver train, or Play with fire (which was very moving in 1989, according to the recordings). Even Heart of Stone would work in a stadium, I'm sure.

Date: June 2, 2015 16:17

stones2000
RS

-RS

Thanks! Yeah, I mean the Stones are the Stones. Doesn't matter what they play

Yeah. They are the Stones...

-RS

Date: June 2, 2015 16:19

saltoftheearth
They could easily do songs like Lady Jane, Silver train, or Play with fire (which was very moving in 1989, according to the recordings). Even Heart of Stone would work in a stadium, I'm sure.

I hope they do at least one of them saltoftheearth!

-RS

Date: June 2, 2015 16:43

Midnight Toker
love the band as much as I love meatloaf, but not every night for the past 50 years.

Why is that?

-RS

Date: June 2, 2015 17:14

Naturalust
RS

-RS

My pleasure RS and thank you for replying to my inquiries. You seem wise beyond your years and obviously have a good ear for music. smiling smiley

A lot of us are a bit disappointed in the direction popular music has taken and believe the rock we grew up with is more musical, more creative and the best the world has to offer (so far). I guess every generation might feel that way about the music they grew up with, but some of us would like to believe that there was something extra special about rock music. Your attraction to it helps to affirm that belief, thanks for that!

peace

What concerts are you going to?

-RS

Date: June 2, 2015 17:42

RS
Naturalust
RS

-RS

peace

-RS

San Diego was it on this tour for me RS. Was happy to see them for the opener and I'll be following along here and sharing others experiences for the other shows. Be sure to give us a report after yours. cool smiley

peace

Date: June 2, 2015 17:44

Naturalust
RS
Naturalust
RS

-RS

peace

-RS

San Diego was it on this tour for me RS. Was happy to see them for the opener and I'll be following along here and sharing others experiences for the other shows. Be sure to give us a report after yours. cool smiley

peace

Will do!

-RS

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: June 2, 2015 18:42

Hardcore fans are always more interested in the deep cuts over the big hits. That's why I am such a big Bob Dylan fan. I saw him 18 times in 1989 and I heard him play 80 different songs including some pretty obscure stuff. Nowadays it's hard to get into going to multiple Bob shows because he has abandoned the always changing setlist. The Stones have done some interesting stuff with setlists over the years. The Licks tour for example. In some markets, three venues, three different setlists with the small hall show with the deepest cuts. Nowadays you are going to a Stones show thinking that there are only three slots in the show where you might get something different. I've been pretty lucky with the Stones. I've seen them 15 times - a pretty low number for some people on this board - but I've heard them do over 100 different songs and some pretty deep cuts like "Down The Road Apiece", "Tops", "One Hit To The Body", "Terrifying", "Hot Stuff", "No Expectations", "Moonlight Mile", "Some Girls" and a few others.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 2, 2015 18:46

They should have 3 slots dedicated to rotating rare or fan favorite songs. And I don't mean crap like Dead Flowers that they play often. I mean real songs that they know are great that they never play. Spread them out throughout the set and they'd go over fine.

The setlist is 20 songs long:
-3 rotating rarities
-2 Keith songs
-at least 5 (including Brown Sugar) songs from Sticky Fingers
-10 warhorses

That set would go over fine. They don't have the balls to do it so they just do 17 warhorses, 2 Keith songs, then one song they play all the time but throw off as a "gift" to fans (be it Paint It Black or any number of songs).

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 2, 2015 18:47

i got the blues

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 2, 2015 18:49

YO GOT TO MOV

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 2, 2015 18:52

OH LAWD YO GOT TO MOV

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: June 2, 2015 19:28

Was just discussing yesterday how fortunate I've been to catch some rare treats live. In 35 shows in US and Candada starting in 1972, have heard the following....

Luxury
Tops
Mona - how many times has this been performed in the modern era?
Down the Road Apiece
Mr Pitiful
I Got the Blues
Sway premiere
Soul Survivor (heard loud and clear at a soundcheck)
Heart of Stone
Hang on Sloopy
Hot Stuff - how many times has this been played live in the USA??
Sad, Sad, Sad - only performance of the Licks tour? Tower 2002
Waiting on a Friend - only performance of the Licks tour? United Center 2003

Not bad for only 35 shows.

Posted by: eyesoftheworld ()
Date: June 2, 2015 19:57

As long as they are here, I am happy.

That being said, I DO* LOVE*** Beggars Banquet stuff but I really can't complain because their whole catalogue is a classic.

I edited this. I am a lousy typer today smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-02 20:40 by eyesoftheworld.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 2, 2015 20:05

It's interesting to see a young person's perspective. All us veterans who have seen them dozens of times over the decades would love shows with just a few warhorses and mostly obscure cuts, recent stuff like Love is Strong Anybody Seen, Flip the Switch, etc. but these young fans WANT to hear Sympathy SMU, HTW Miss You and would feel gypped without them.

To the OP -- your question is an eternal one. Like nature vs. nurture. Who really knows?

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 2, 2015 21:06

Yesterday's Papers

Date: June 2, 2015 21:57

eyesoftheworld
As long as they are here, I am happy.

That being said, I DO* LOVE*** Beggars Banquet stuff but I really can't complain because their whole catalogue is a classic.

I edited this. I am a lousy typer today smiling smiley

I feel the same way, I would like a few songs for them to play that I enjoy but as long as they come and put a good show on I'm fine.

-RS

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1842
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home