Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

A GREAT book on the Rolling Stones
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 15, 2015 08:44

I'm aiming this post especially at newcomers to IORR and those who likely weren't born in the Sixties.

Stanley Booth has a new updated edition of THE TRUE ADVENTURES OF THE ROLLING
STONES in bookstores across America and, of course, available on Amazon. He is a marvelous writer who has known the Stones for years and went on the
entire 1969 American tour culminating in the horrors of Altamont.

The book gives major insights from the early Sixties on and makes you feel like you're there too. It is funny, sometimes horrifying and loaded with fascinating anecdotes. The reader sees and hears Mick, Keith, Charlie, Bill and Brian Jones up close and personal on and off stage.

If you're a Keith fan, you're bound to to enjoy every detail. Much better than LIFE in my humble opinion.

Keith and Stanley remain great friends, and Mick's an admirer of the book "because it's accurate..."

And if you've always wanted to know more about Ian Stewart, you'll get to know the "real Stu" in TRUE ADVENTURES...The Stones never had a more loyal friend.

There are so few really accurate books about those years that this one stands out for me as a picky reader.

Re: A GREAT book on the Rolling Stones
Posted by: tauk ()
Date: June 15, 2015 08:47

To Stonesrule: Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: June 15, 2015 08:54

I second that! This book and Bill's Stone Alone together give you a great in depth look at those 60's years. Is there anything telling us what was "updated" with this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-15 08:55 by tumblingdice.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 15, 2015 09:01

What is updated in this version? Any new writing/stories? Or is it just a new edition with a new forward or postscript? Thanks.

peace

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 15, 2015 09:43

Woot! I loved the original edition of this book, will be checking out this new one. smiling smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 15, 2015 10:44

stonesrule
I'm aiming this post especially at newcomers to IORR and those who likely weren't born in the Sixties.
Stanley Booth has a new updated edition of THE TRUE ADVENTURES OF THE ROLLING
STONES in bookstores across America
and, of course, available on Amazon. He is a marvelous writer who has known the Stones for years
and went on the entire 1969 American tour culminating in the horrors of Altamont.
The book gives major insights from the early Sixties on and makes you feel like you're there too.
It is funny, sometimes horrifying and loaded with fascinating anecdotes. The reader sees and hears Mick, Keith, Charlie, Bill and Brian Jones up close and personal on and off stage.
If you're a Keith fan, you're bound to to enjoy every detail. Much better than LIFE in my humble opinion.
Keith and Stanley remain great friends, and Mick's an admirer of the book "because it's accurate..."
And if you've always wanted to know more about Ian Stewart, you'll get to know the "real Stu" in TRUE ADVENTURES.

Yes, Stanley Booth absolutely gets it, plus which he writes just like ringing a bell.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 15, 2015 11:00

No question the Booth book is one of the best on the Stones, from the days when rock journalism was not an oxymoron.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: June 15, 2015 13:07

As I said in the other books thread - one of my favourites too.
I always liked the beginning with the Stones lost on their way in the car and all the little snakes sleeping . . Nice stuff . .
Barbara Charone's Keith book had a lot of stories and infos as well. But I think the writing of Booth is much better.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 15, 2015 16:55

his book 'Keith' is also a fun read..

kinda light compared to his other work though..

I'll be reading the updated release of 'True Adventures...'

Stanley Booth is the best writer on the Stones

hope you're reading this, Mr. Booth

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 15, 2015 17:12

I love this book too, Stanley Booth is a beautiful writer. It's my favorite, next to LIFE. I know some people here have complained about it, but I like the vignettes he puts into the book about his own life. Does anyone know if this new version has anything new? smiling smiley

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 15, 2015 17:47

From what I could see at Amazon, the only new addition to this anniversary edition is a forward by Greil Marcus.

[www.amazon.com]

Here's a short but decent interview with Booth:

[www.gq-magazine.co.uk]

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: June 16, 2015 13:37

It's ok...but Stanley makes himself an equal player in the story instead of an observer, chronicler and biographer. I cringed reading about his love life.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: June 16, 2015 18:45

Great that there's a new edition, I'll have to check it out again.

I enjoyed Booth's book. Talks a lot about Brian, which is a plus. Love the approach of alternating chapters of band history and tour chronology...all leading to the depressing finale of Altamont, etc.

I feel it captures the 1969 tour nicely (seen from Booth's unique perspective, one of the best imo). Overall a decent history. The quotes from certain individuals and excerpts/passages from unique writings at the beginning of each chapter give it a literary and/or philosophical context.

I too cringed at Booth injecting his personal stuff in there, could've kept it out. Still, for newcomers or people who want to get a slice of the 'sixties' Booth's book is a good start.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-16 18:46 by nightskyman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1893
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home