Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Karl Denson is a Great Saxophonist, But…..
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: June 4, 2015 21:34

I just did some research on Karl Denson, who most recently played with the Stones in Columbus, Ohio on May 30, 2015. This man has played with Lenny Kravitz's band, Switchfoot, and his own band, the Karl Benson Band. He is well-known in the jazz circuit and has played at many jazz festivals.

Karl Denson is a great saxophonist, but I think his jazzy style of play does not fit in well with the raunchy, rock and roll feel of Rolling Stones music. I was in Columbus that day and was disappointed with the sax solo in the middle of Brown Sugar. No one will ever fill the shoes of Bobby Keys, of course, but I was thinking that there might be a musician out there who could play a better Stones sounding sax than he. I wonder if Bobby recommended him for the job, just before his untimely death, or perhaps one of the Stones such as Charlie.

Anyone out there have any suggestions for a different saxophone player than Denson, should he decide to stop touring with the Stones?

Listen to this and make comments:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-05 17:43 by bv.

Re: Karl Denton is a Great Saxophonist, But…..
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 4, 2015 21:38

flilflam
I wonder if Bobby recommended him for the job, just before his untimely death, or perhaps one of the Stones such as Charlie.

He was recommended to Jagger by Lenny Kravitz during a lunch they had together.

I agree no one can truly replace Bobby Keys but having a Bobby clone doesn't excite me much either and I think Karl is doing a fine job. Perhaps he will gel more with Stones music as he plays with them a bit longer.

peace

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 4, 2015 21:49

I say listen to last night's version. I haven't heard it but Jagger comments that Karl nailed it. If someone has it would love to listen. Otherwise I'll wait until Buffalo…..

Posted by: HomerSimpson ()
Date: June 4, 2015 21:50

I recently read an interview with Bob Weir about how they chose Vince Welnick to replace Brent Midland after he died. Essentially he said they didn't have time or energy to audition tons of players. They auditioned a small handful and picked Vince cause he was good enough & could sing. I would not be surprised if a similar thing happened when the Stones needed a sax player on short notice. Karl was recommended by Jaggers friend Kravitz. I'm sure he passed a quick audition & got the job cause they didn't want to bother with a full on search for a replacement.

Posted by: MidnightPeanut ()
Date: June 4, 2015 21:54

One of my few complaints about the Stones since they convened the Vegas act is how static things seem to have become. I find it inspiring that a guy like Karl is hired on and raises the stakes, so to speak, at least in his own little area.

Also, didn't Stu recommend Chuck? Look how well that turned out...

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: June 4, 2015 21:55

I very much liked Karl Denson's sax solo on Brown Sugar, I would also like to hear him play the solo on Live With Me.
I know the Bobby Keys sax solo on ''Brown Sugar'' note by note so well that I think it's refreshing to hear Denson modify it and he also varies the way he play from night to night. While the great Bobby Keys was alive and played with the Stones I sometimes suspected that he found it somewhat boring to always play the exact same solo. There's not really anything to complain about this about this time, even though I love all the complaining.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-04 22:07 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: June 4, 2015 21:58

Karl Denton is in a very difficult position - Bobby Keys owned the sax solos for the Stones forever. Nobody can fill his shoes and Bobby will be much missed as long as they tour - I think it's why Keith put Before They Make Me Run into the setlist (Another goodbye to another good friend...).

I'm much more concerned about who allowed that ridiculous Scott Joplin-style ragtime piano mess by Chuck Leavell in Columbus for Honky Tonk Women. That was an embarrassment. I threw up in my mouth a bit for that one!

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: June 4, 2015 22:04

Only been at Columbus so far, but I thought he did a great job. He got a pretty good cheer, in my section.

Date: June 4, 2015 22:10

Karl had played the entire SF live with his band. The Stones okayed him after seeing dvds of that. He didn't have to audition.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 4, 2015 22:18

He doesn't sound that bad. He fits better than that alleged replacement for Wyman.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 4, 2015 22:21

MidnightPeanut
One of my few complaints about the Stones since they convened the Vegas act is how static things seem to have become. I find it inspiring that a guy like Karl is hired on and raises the stakes, so to speak, at least in his own little area.

Chuck did have some good boogie woogie cred at the time Stu recommended him. Something has gone wrong along the way and yes, he way over tinkles. The Stones must be incredibly lazy. They never take stock of their players and search for someone better, or different. They probably think 'If it ain't broke....", but it is broke. They could sweep away everybody but the actual Stones, and replace them with something new as far as I'm concerned.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 4, 2015 22:24

yes that showed the Stones that Karl Denson cared about Bobby Keys and about the music.

read any of the recent interviews with Denson.. what is clear is that he is a major Bobby Keys fan. its sad reading some of what Denson has said, when he states that for all his admiration, he never got to meet Bobby Keys..

Karl Denson is stepping in admirably, it seems, and the Stones like him.

his jazz background in addition to his knowledge of their music, is the right combination.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 4, 2015 22:26

I think he is awesome, one of the best surprises so far of the tour. I hope they don't change him and they make him a regular going forward.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: June 4, 2015 22:28

Karl Denton is a Great Saxophonist, But.....

Karl Denson is EVEN BETTER!

Date: June 4, 2015 22:34

HomerSimpson
I recently read an interview with Bob Weir about how they chose Vince Welnick to replace Brent Midland after he died. Essentially he said they didn't have time or energy to audition tons of players. They auditioned a small handful and picked Vince cause he was good enough & could sing. I would not be surprised if a similar thing happened when the Stones needed a sax player on short notice. Karl was recommended by Jaggers friend Kravitz. I'm sure he passed a quick audition & got the job cause they didn't want to bother with a full on search for a replacement.

I mean this in the politest way: "Are you kidding me?"

Date: June 4, 2015 22:35

Kurt
Karl Denton is a Great Saxophonist, But.....

Karl Denson is EVEN BETTER!

lol … eye rolling smileyeye rolling smileyeye rolling smiley

Date: June 4, 2015 22:36

24FPS
MidnightPeanut

Chuck did have some good boogie woogie cred at the time Stu recommended him. Something has gone wrong along the way and yes, he way over tinkles. The Stones must be incredibly lazy. They never take stock of their players and search for someone better, or different. They probably think 'If it ain't broke....", but it is broke. They could sweep away everybody but the actual Stones, and replace them with something new as far as I'm concerned.

i agree. i feel that Chuck is a complete disaster.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: June 4, 2015 22:45

Turner68

How is he a disaster? I love his playing on Angie, Jumping Jack Flash and You Can't Always Get.. to name a few.
I've never liked his solo on Honky Tonk Women, it feels a bit too Vegas, but otherwise I think he does a great job on most tunes.

Date: June 4, 2015 22:49

TheBlockbuster
Turner68

How is he a disaster? I love his playing on Angie, Jumping Jack Flash and You Can't Always Get.. to name a few.
I've never liked his solo on Honky Tonk Women, it feels a bit too Vegas, but otherwise I think he does a great job on most tunes.

you nailed the heart of it with your comment about HTW. Chuck's solos are very pedestrian, Vegas yes, but not even on the main strip of Vegas, more like the seedy outskirts of vegas.

if they cut his solos and "fills" i would be fine.

in addition to HTW i think he is ruining SFTD on this tour. a back line musician castrating 2 out of 20 songs in a show is what i would call a disaster.

Karl is awesome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-04 22:54 by Turner68.

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: June 4, 2015 22:53

We all miss Bobby Keyes -- and there's no replacing him.
He was one of a kind.

(a shot I took at the Paris 2014 show)

But as others have said -- trying to sound exactly like Bobby won't work.
Doing your best to evoke the spirit and energy of his work in your solos is the best tribute you can give him and in the end all that you can do,

And while we all feel the void, other than his family -- Keith probably misses him the most. And he seems OK with Karl's work on Brown Sugar.

Keith's reaction to Karl Denson's Brown Sugar solo -- San Diego 2015.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-05 01:58 by GS1978.

Date: June 4, 2015 22:55

great post and pictures!

Date: June 4, 2015 22:57

Turner68
TheBlockbuster
Turner68

you nailed the heart of it with your comment about HTW. Chuck's solos are very pedestrian, Vegas yes, but not even on the main strip of Vegas, more like the seedy outskirts of vegas.

if they cut his solos and "fills" i would be fine.

in addition to HTW i think he is ruining SFTD on this tour. a back line musician castrating 2 out of 20 songs in a show is what i would call a disaster.

Karl is awesome.

Chuck's hammond and Rhodes playing is still great. It is the mid-range piano tinkling that doesn't work so well, imo.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: June 4, 2015 23:00

Karl is a very good sax player. He brings something new so it's less predictable and people will learn to appreciate that. Bobby was great in many ways and even a legend and it's good we have those great songs to listen to and all the live recordings. At the same time we all know life goes on for the RS too...time waits for no one.
Cheer what Bobby did and cheer even more how Karl is taking his place with his own original signature that brings something new. We should support him for every note he plays with the RS...

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 4, 2015 23:01

Karl is great and doing a great job. Bottom line. I'm sure if Bobby replace Karl people would be having a fit.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 4, 2015 23:03

I wish they used Arno Hecht from the Uptown Horns, he has some history with the band. Not that impressed with Carl but he isn't bad. There are many big name horn guys who could thrill the pants off a crowd. We are learning the band is not interested sidemen who stand out.

Date: June 4, 2015 23:07

even ones that used to be in the band..

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 4, 2015 23:10

Especially.

Date: June 4, 2015 23:11

GS1978
We all miss Bobby Keyes -- and there's no replacing him.
He was one of a kind.

(a shot I took at the Paris 2014 show)

But as others have said -- trying to sound exactly like Bobby won't work.
Doing your best to evoke the spirit and energy of his work in your solos is the best tribute you can give him and in the end all that you can do,

And while we all feel the void, other than his daughter -- Keith probably misses him the most. And he seems OK with Karl's work on Brown Sugar.

Keith's reaction to Karl Denson's Brown Sugar solo -- San Diego 2015.

Bobby has three sons as well..

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 4, 2015 23:19

Every great musician has their own style.

Bobby and Karl.

Ronnie, Keith, Brian and Mick Taylor.

Charlie and Keith Moon.

Darryl and John Entwistle.

Mick and any other frontman....................but Mick is miles ahead of the rest.

I could go on and on, but I think Karl fits in so well with the Stones, and obviously a well respected sax player.

He gets my vote. smileys with beer

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 4, 2015 23:26

Was Kenny G not available?

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1413
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home