Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 63
Re: Super Heavy with Mick Jagger
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 11, 2011 16:57

Jagger's new Stone smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 11, 2011 20:10

The full album has been leaked in the web, if you know how to search it on google...

Listening now, I really like Never Gonna Change, best song IMO.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 11, 2011 21:06

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-11 21:42 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 11, 2011 21:15

proudmary

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Worth remembering that this piece was put together a couple of months ago and that any dismissive talk about future Stones plans should be taken with a grain of salt.

It also features an example of Jagger's appalling memory - he claims to 'clearly' recall the Stones first gig at the Marquee, and proceeds to talk in detail about Nicky Hopkins' performance on the piano as well as insisting that Ricky Fenson was on bass and Carlo Little on drums.

Bad enough that he left out his old school pal Dick Taylor, but Ian Stewart ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-11 21:17 by Gazza.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: September 11, 2011 23:11

georgelicks, do you feel like providing your own review of what you heard?

Date: September 11, 2011 23:21

Strange album, too many different styles, I liked "Never Gonna Change", "I Can’t Take It No More" and "Unbelievable".

You can judge by yourself:
[exystence.net]

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: September 11, 2011 23:23

georgelicks
The full album has been leaked in the web, if you know how to search it on google...

Listening now, I really like Never Gonna Change, best song IMO.

thanks for the heads-up..I pre-ordered it on iTunes but it's nice having it even earlier smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-11 23:25 by Lorenz.

Posted by: VOODOOSEBI ()
Date: September 12, 2011 01:13

georgelicks
Strange album, too many different styles, I liked "Never Gonna Change", "I Can’t Take It No More" and "Unbelievable".

[exystence.net]

what a birthday present for me!

i absolutely love it!!!!!

I've ordered the cd immediatly!

Much better vocals by Mick then i expected !!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-12 01:49 by VOODOOSEBI.

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: September 12, 2011 01:54

georgelicks

[exystence.net]

Thanks a lot!!! enjoying it right nowthumbs upsmileys with beerthumbs up

Date: September 12, 2011 02:05

I think my favorite is "I Don't Mind" which nicely recalls "As Tears Go By" without being too derivative. There are some tracks I really enjoy here. I look forward to getting the Deluxe Edition CD in a couple weeks.

That said, I don't believe Dave Stewart for one second about Nokia being a cover story. If it was a cover story, the name SuperHeavy and the involvement of Mick, Dave, Joss, and Damian Marley were part of the cover story. Doesn't seem to be much of a point in a cover story that only hid A. R. Rahman's involvement. There was also a story in 2009 about Mick, Joss, and Dave doing a Hendryx cover with Jeff Beck on lead guitar for a various artists album benefiting the United Nations. Somehow none of this sounds like a cover story to me, more like a face-saving way of saying the project wouldn't die despite Nokia changing their mind. Incidentally, Stewart holds or held a position for creating content for Nokia.

Posted by: SoulPlunderer ()
Date: September 12, 2011 02:33

So I searched into google "SuperHeavy leaked" and I got this:

[answers.yahoo.com]

FFS! lol

I'm not sure whether to download the leak or to just wait til next week. I'm gonna buy the CD either way of course.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: September 12, 2011 02:50

proudmary
bustedtrousers
otonneau
BTW I love Miracle Worker, beats ABB by a mile if you ask me, and also Plundering my soul. I can't take it no more is rubbish but a lot of the snippets I find very promising. I'm surprised there is not more enthusiasm here!

And I love the pink suit, Jagger is too funny, that old crazy gargoyle. The others are fine and dandy, but the whole thing would lack spice without Jag. His dance on the shop's doorstep is TOO COOL!

There is quite a bit of enthusiasm here. This thread is 24 pages, and there's as much praise for Super Heavy as there is against it. My impression is more like it than not. By more, maybe you feel everyone here should love it, just because a Stone is involved?

I find it to be pretty typical, run-of-the-mill product. There's nothing really wrong with that, the single is catchy and it does have it's merits. But it doesn't really move me in any way, and there are several others here who seem to feel something along the same lines.

Based on what I've read in this thread and others, I think it's something like a 60/40 split, give or take a little either way, with 60 in favor of it, so far. But, we haven't heard everything, and while I think the album will do well enough, I don't think it will be any kind of blockbuster. Or game-changer, like a few here seem to believe.

It's product. The whole thing was originally meant to be a marketing campaign for Nokia to begin with.

busted, it seems like the reply to your post
"As Dave Stewart says, ‘It was all totally secret and we kept it that way for a hell of a long time, which is amazing given the people concerned. This was a journey that could only really develop if it was given space without the rest of the world putting their expectations on it.
'It was essential we kept it secret. We had a codename for recording studios – DD Jam – and when a few people got to hear about Joss and Mick being in a session together it was put out that it was a Nokia campaign".

Read more: [www.dailymail.co.uk]

Wow, that's interesting. I don't totally believe that though, it could just be more P.R. spin. I do admit I'm only going by what I read here, but if I remember correctly a couple of the people who said it were some of the more reliable posters here, which is why I took it so seriously. If I'm wrong though, I'm wrong, and have no problem admitting it.

Regardless, I still have the same feelings and outlook. I think the record will do well, but nothing amazing, at least not here in the U.S. And by amazing, I mean sales. It may very well go platinum, and possibly hit #1 for a week or two. But I don't think it's going to be a huge, multi-platinum seller, with multiple hit singles.

My guess is the whole thing will be forgotten within a few months of it's release, and we won't hear from them again. At least not this line-up. I say Jagger will be one and done.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: September 12, 2011 05:25

I really think Jagger's vocal on I DON'T MIND is killer during the chorus with Joss.

Date: September 12, 2011 05:39

bustedtrousers
Regardless, I still have the same feelings and outlook. I think the record will do well, but nothing amazing, at least not here in the U.S. And by amazing, I mean sales. It may very well go platinum, and possibly hit #1 for a week or two. But I don't think it's going to be a huge, multi-platinum seller, with multiple hit singles.

My guess is the whole thing will be forgotten within a few months of it's release, and we won't hear from them again. At least not this line-up. I say Jagger will be one and done.

The album won't hit the #1 (at least in UK or US), too much high profile albums around, actually a Top 10 debut is a tough one, the album has no hit single on the radio or Itunes, no shows, no TV appearances, no tour and all the promotion is a couple of interviews here and there, nothing else.
A top 10 debut would be a surprise IMO.
Platinum? Impossible
Gold? Very unlikely, if it sell 300k would be a success.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-12 05:44 by georgelicks.

Posted by: nocomment ()
Date: September 12, 2011 05:58

This freaking record is mind-blowing, and we ain't even ganjafied yet,
although we soon will be. A more considered review will follow in about
24, but in the meantime, we'll go with our previously leaked 14-word review:

Posted by: voodoodrew ()
Date: September 12, 2011 06:26

I'm always very enthusiastic on initial listens of any Stones-related project . . . this is no exception. It sounds great to me. Can't wait to get it in better quality.

Date: September 12, 2011 06:51

voodoodrew
Can't wait to get it in better quality.

Agreed. So much music going on, layers mmmmmmmmmm, we luvs layers...

Date: September 12, 2011 06:54

we got one of our big wishes. Mick flat-out raps on two songs, head to
head with Damian (the best in the business) and holds his own.

Date: September 12, 2011 06:58

Oh, is that what he was doing? I thought he just took an overdose of uppers and was spazzing.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 12, 2011 08:15

wow...thanks for the download!

I'm still have my vinyl and CD Deluxe edition being shipped in a week, but this is a lovely early treat.

Great energy.

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: September 12, 2011 11:06

Love it!

I'm no fanatic: I don't care much for anything stones related since VL, save a few songs... and a fair share of Goddess. I thought SH would be good fun, which is already quite something. Well it's no game changer but it's more than good fun!

I think the mix of voices works extremely well. Everybody does a great job and they complement each other well: I don't think i'd listen to a full album of Marley as I don't care for raggamuffin, but as punctual conterpoint to actual singing he is excellent. Joss Stone is OK but she lacks something as a self-standing soul singer in my view; but here her voice blends perfectly and her touch is always welcome. Rahman is excellent and perhaps does too little. As for Jagger... I love almost everything he does on the album, and it must have to do with the context, because it's been a while since I've enjoyed his singing so much. One thing that helps is that there are actual melodies here, whereas there were not many interesting ones on, say, ABB and Goddess.

To get it over with, there is one totally horrible track: I can't take it no more. Dear lord what a poor riff and ugly fat sound, with Jagger-by-the-numbers barking and incredibly dum lyrics. Otherwise, my impressions are:

Excellent groovy fast tracks:
Superheavy, Unbelievable, Warring people, the super cool Common Ground - and Miracle worker, a simple song which grows on the listener as he gets into the impeccable arrangements and interweaving of the voices.

The ballads work much better than I expected and I even hear some emotion (not deep deep stuff but gently moving) in Never gonna change, Rock me gently, I don't mind. And - surprise! Jagger challenges himself and sings in ways I've not heard before on One day, one night and Never gonna change. It works extremely well. Jagger is still into singing: this is no reheated trick. I don't minde the old man sticking to what he does best, but it's even better to hear him fooling around.

Some tracks suffer from poor choruses: Satyameva, World Keeps turning, energy, but even these have good spots that redeem them. Rahman is excellent on the opening of Satyameva, Marley outstanding on Energy.

Very very cool album!

Date: September 12, 2011 11:38

Thanks for the download. A very nice surprise. I really like it.
Now that I've heard it, I'm sure gonna buy it.

-------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-12 11:46 by Rolling Hansie.

Date: September 12, 2011 13:02

So far my favourite is "Common Ground". Just can't sit still when this song is on.

BTW the riff in "I Can't Take It No More" really reminds me of "Gun" from "Goddess In The Doorway".
You can actually sing the lines to it:

Why don't just get a gun and shoot it
Why don't you just get a gun
Why don't you just get a gun
And shoot it through this heart of mine
Through this heart of mine

-------------------

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: September 12, 2011 13:13

Thats a great album worth having pulled out rather than dogshit in the doorway. Super Heavy delivers !!!!! Well done Mick and co

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 12, 2011 17:04

otonneau
Love it!

I'm no fanatic: I don't care much for anything stones related since VL, save a few songs... and a fair share of Goddess. I thought SH would be good fun, which is already quite something. Well it's no game changer but it's more than good fun!

I think the mix of voices works extremely well. Everybody does a great job and they complement each other well: I don't think i'd listen to a full album of Marley as I don't care for raggamuffin, but as punctual conterpoint to actual singing he is excellent. Joss Stone is OK but she lacks something as a self-standing soul singer in my view; but here her voice blends perfectly and her touch is always welcome. Rahman is excellent and perhaps does too little. As for Jagger... I love almost everything he does on the album, and it must have to do with the context, because it's been a while since I've enjoyed his singing so much. One thing that helps is that there are actual melodies here, whereas there were not many interesting ones on, say, ABB and Goddess.

To get it over with, there is one totally horrible track: I can't take it no more. Dear lord what a poor riff and ugly fat sound, with Jagger-by-the-numbers barking and incredibly dum lyrics. Otherwise, my impressions are:

Excellent groovy fast tracks:
Superheavy, Unbelievable, Warring people, the super cool Common Ground - and Miracle worker, a simple song which grows on the listener as he gets into the impeccable arrangements and interweaving of the voices.

The ballads work much better than I expected and I even hear some emotion (not deep deep stuff but gently moving) in Never gonna change, Rock me gently, I don't mind. And - surprise! Jagger challenges himself and sings in ways I've not heard before on One day, one night and Never gonna change. It works extremely well. Jagger is still into singing: this is no reheated trick. I don't minde the old man sticking to what he does best, but it's even better to hear him fooling around.

Some tracks suffer from poor choruses: Satyameva, World Keeps turning, energy, but even these have good spots that redeem them. Rahman is excellent on the opening of Satyameva, Marley outstanding on Energy.

Very very cool album!

Wow...we were born brothers from separate parents...my sentiments exactly, even with respect to I Can't Take It. I like Joss in that, she's great but not much else.

I had such high hopes for that tune too...but oh well, let's not detract from the other songs.

This is an excellent album! smileys with beer

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: September 12, 2011 17:23

treaclefingers

This is an excellent album! smileys with beer

smileys with beer

Date: September 12, 2011 19:02

We feel in a tough spot. We think if we rave about it as much
as we're feeling about it, it couldn't help but to turn off
some people. So we'll probably just post some random impressions
occasionally. Our first is that Stones fans are uniquely
qualified to HEAR this stew of music as they've trained
themselves for years to hear all the little twists and buried
things that distinguish the Stones recordings. So don't miss out.
Upon fifth listening for us, right now, this work is still opening
up further.

So our only advice is, when you first obtain this work in high
quality and listen to it on decent speakers, try as best as
possible to forget the surface of the songs and all the personalities
and just trip out on the depth of the music.

Key to it, often buried under the other instruments, are the twin
rhythm guitars of Dave and Mick, weaving away. If nothing else, just
listen to Miracle Worker a few more times concentrating on the
guitars, and see if that doesn't give you a bit of a buzz, taking you
below the pretty surface to the even prettier heart.

There are similar kinds of buried treasure on every single track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-12 19:04 by nocomment.

Date: September 12, 2011 19:07

"Miracle Worker" is among my least favorite on the disc. There are far better tracks, though they are not better commercial choices.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 12, 2011 19:13

More from Daily Mail: [www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: phd ()
Date: September 12, 2011 20:20

All this Super Heavy thing is ridiculous. To the level of "Life" : crap. What a drag it is getting old. Hopefully, Charlie will bring pieces altogether. Schoolboys in the schoolyard....

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 63

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1451
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home