Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 63
Re: Super Heavy with Mick Jagger
Posted by: zeus ()
Date: August 12, 2011 15:46

SoulPlunderer
zeus
I think Mick wore pink to stand out from all these talented musicians, ego trip I believe, usual Mick.

Rather than the fact that he was wearing it because he was playing a role in the video. He's supposed to be a weird occultist/miracle worker/surgeon of love, so you'd expect him to dress a bit, erm, differently shall we say.

Possibly but then again it was given to him. Don't get me wrong I love Mick and the boys but I am a bit upset with Mick prioritizing his capricious needs and Keith knocking his door...still he dressed up too eccentric...

Posted by: VOODOOSEBI ()
Date: August 12, 2011 15:47

F U C K !!! IT´S locked in germany due to copyright issuesthumbs downthumbs downthumbs down

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 12, 2011 15:53

zeus
I think Mick wore pink to stand out from all these talented musicians, ego trip I believe, usual Mick.

there's no ego trip. He's also centered on the stage (and any press photos previously released). There's no ambiguity who he is or what he represents in this band.

Posted by: SoulPlunderer ()
Date: August 12, 2011 16:06

VOODOOSEBI
F U C K !!! IT´S locked in germany due to copyright issuesthumbs downthumbs downthumbs down

The SuperHeavy Facebook page says that they'll put up a link for German fans later today

Posted by: VOODOOSEBI ()
Date: August 12, 2011 16:09

SoulPlunderer
VOODOOSEBI

The SuperHeavy Facebook page says that they'll put up a link for German fans later today

thanks, can´t wait to see smileys with beer

Date: August 12, 2011 16:09

Thanks for sharing the video. It's really more Joss Stone and the Marley kid's song than anyone else's. Mick's vocal cameo is fairly pointless. I'll be hoping for a couple of Jagger-dominated tracks to make this worth owning. At least seeing the video (as opposed to a single photo) makes it clear this isn't aping the "Waiting on a Friend" video.

Posted by: SoulPlunderer ()
Date: August 12, 2011 16:11

zeus
SoulPlunderer
zeus

Rather than the fact that he was wearing it because he was playing a role in the video. He's supposed to be a weird occultist/miracle worker/surgeon of love, so you'd expect him to dress a bit, erm, differently shall we say.

Possibly but then again it was given to him. Don't get me wrong I love Mick and the boys but I am a bit upset with Mick prioritizing his capricious needs and Keith knocking his door...still he dressed up too eccentric...

What do you mean about prioritizing his needs? SuperHeavy has been in the pipeline for a while now so it's not as if he's reacting against Keith in some way. Also, where is this idea that Keith has been knocking at his door coming from? Even if it is true, Mick owes Keith absolutely nothing.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 12, 2011 16:12

The more I hear it, the more I like it.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: August 12, 2011 16:17

Dr. Trik

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: August 12, 2011 16:25

Rolling Hansie
The more I hear it, the more I like it.

Well, the more i hear it, the more i hate it. Absolutely dreadful. But to each his own...

Posted by: zeus ()
Date: August 12, 2011 16:26

Ok guys just thinking out loud. Keith mention something getting back to work with Mick on the documentary I watched on YouTube.

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: August 12, 2011 16:37

Tonight the Dutch premiere when the clip will be shown in RTL Boulevard!smiling bouncing smiley

[www.paulinestroosnijder.com]

Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: August 12, 2011 17:10

In anyway, it's good to see Mick back in the ring. thumbs up
But the last last scene in de video, when the superheavy's sittin' on the stairs in front of a house, that reminds me strong on the 'Waitin' on a friend' video.

Keep on rollin'
Gangster

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 12, 2011 17:36

I quite enjoyed the video. smileys with beer

Posted by: kater-v ()
Date: August 12, 2011 18:29

I like the video and the song, it`s hilarious, and I like Mick`s singing and playing his excentric role very much. The reminiscence of Waiting On A Friend video was made on purpose, it`s clear, interesting what it means - is he still waiting or doesn`t want to wait too long...

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: August 12, 2011 18:30

VOODOOSEBI

Germans with youtube-GEMA-problems can watch the videoclip here:
[www.bild.de]

Posted by: winter ()
Date: August 12, 2011 19:36

Over-exertion does not equal better performance, IMHO. Think about how most of the RS's post-1983 Mick ballads have been rendered unlistenable by MJ's relentless need to over-sing and over-enunciate, as if he thinks more physical effort in the singing department will make the song more sincere and shows he really means it. I find that here too. Mick comes into a song where everyone is operating at riddim-chill volume and he just drops in needlessly over the top, over-singing, over-moving, over-dressing. It's not going to stop me from being interested in checking out the SH album, but here it doesn't cut it for the vibe of the song. I was really hoping this would be an opportunity for him to step outside of the cartoon character he feels he has to be, but instead (at least on this tune) he has made it into even more of a caricature. After his forays into character acting (Elysian fields) and his awesome job on the Exile bonus tracks, his performance on this track is a letdown. C'mon, Mick! It's how much feeling you put into the music, not how much forced effort and spectacle.

The steps scenario at the end is definitely meant to remind us of the Tattoo You era; namely, the last time Mick wore a garishly pink-toned outfit that ruined a good song's video for SMU.

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: August 12, 2011 23:19

Rip This

video is OK, the song is catchy. But I doubt it will be bigger on the radio than "Moves Like Jagger" which is played every hour on top 40 radio...

yeah--it won't do better than Moves Like Jagger, that's for sure. the song is alright, but sort of dumb lyrics about fixing you with my "laser of love", and tacky stuff like that. I like Marley's and Stone's parts the best. Too many hands in THAT pie.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 13, 2011 00:53

Anyone who is digging Superheavy should check on Damian "Jnr. Gong" Marley's brilliant Welcome To Jamrock! album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-13 01:01 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: August 13, 2011 01:08

SUPERHEAVY, ‘MIRACLE WORKER’ – VIDEO REVIEW
by: Billy Dukes

The video for rock supergroup SuperHeavy’s ‘Miracle Worker’ holds true to the eclectic if not electric nature of the song, the band’s debut single. ‘Miracle Worker’ is a love story vaguely acted out within a five-minute span. Each member shares screen time judiciously, with Joss Stone and reggae star Damien Marley playing the lead roles.

The footage begins on the edgy side of downtown Kingston, Jamaica (it’s not clear if the band actually filmed in Jamaica, however). Piercings, tattoo parlors, facial acupuncture, skulls and a threatening hum work to set a sinister scene. There’s no evidence of criminal activity, in fact the setting is surprisingly clean for a metropolis. We see Mick Jagger first — his weathered eyes dart through shuttered blinds. A stage is being set up outside.

From there it’s a visual explosion, although not one loud enough to overwhelm the song’s slow reggae groove. A.R. Rahman and Dave Stewart play periphery roles until called upon later in the clip. It’s Stone and Marley who are the focus early, playfully batting lyrics back and forth at each other from across the street. Unfortunately their chemistry is about as tasty as beef gravy on a banana. At best one won’t realize they’re supposed to be a couple. Heck, we’re not even sure of it!

Jagger’s entrance is brilliant. He comes from nowhere in a flamingo pink suit, bucking and jiving like only the Rolling Stones‘ frontman knows how. The singer plays a witch doctor in ‘Miracle Worker,’ and looks quite at home surrounded by melted candles, dusty skulls and potions. Anytime he’s on screen one’s eyes can’t help but focus on his moves, ignoring the colorful culture on both sides of him.

The action leads to the five members of SuperHeavy taking the stage and finishing the song to a block full of frantic fans. Each member gives their best effort to pull the action together. Much like the music they promise, SuperHeavy has found a way to blend cultures without anyone losing his or her individual identity.

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

New music: SuperHeavy – Miracle Worker
Michael Cragg
Can this supergroup featuring Mick Jagger and Joss Stone buck the trend and be more than the sum of its parts?

From Cream to Monsters of Folk to the Abba All-stars (cruelly, they split after just one performance), the history of supergroups is littered with dream collaborations (Jay-Z and Kanye West's pairing), oddly unnecessary bass guitar workouts and, usually, a trail of bruised egos. Never one to miss the chance to flex his own ego, Mick Jagger announced the formation of SuperHeavy in May this year, featuring Joss Stone, Dave Stewart, Damian Marley and producer/composer AR Rahman. Apparently, the initial recording sessions resulted in songs that were more than an hour long, all recorded under the banner of writing songs that "had a meaning". From the 35 hours of music recorded, the album, also called SuperHeavy, selects 12 tracks (none of them an hour long), with the future single Satyameva Jayate featuring Jagger singing in Sanskrit.

Still, let's not get ahead of ourselves. First up is the video for Miracle Worker, a reggae number with a hint of No Doubt. Stone sings with Marley before a fantastically awkward Jagger emerges to drawl a litany of medical metaphors, including "no need for anaesthetics, I'm gonna check your chart". In the video the group go about their day – Stone selling flowers, Marley playing records, Rahman sitting in a car, Stewart getting a tattoo (for some reason, he's billed as the band's rebel) and Jagger fidgeting awkwardly in a bright pink suit. Like the song, it's a mess but there's something oddly compelling about it.

[www.guardian.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-13 01:20 by proudmary.

Date: August 13, 2011 05:14

I'm sure someone's already thought of this, but it just occurred to me that this band has one representative for each decade of life, from the 20's thru the 60's.

Mick - 60's
Dave Stewart - 50's
Rahman - 40's
Marley - 30's
Joss Stone - 20's

I'm sure it wasn't planned, but interesting, sort of. World music AND intergenerational music!

Date: August 13, 2011 11:37

treaclefingers
this band has one representative for each decade

Haven't noticed that before. Nice catch.

-------------------

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 13, 2011 11:47

I may going to the record store today and
ask for the intergenerational music section....... that is a nice catch treacle

Posted by: django ()
Date: August 13, 2011 13:39

I like the track but I don't like Mick's singing. Unfortunately my english is not good enough to explain exactly what I mean. For me he sings too much. He tries to put a maximum of emotion in every single line of the song. Way too much! Less would be more. I had the same impression with Laugh, I Nearly Died from ABB. Over the top. He destroys a good song with his singing.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: August 13, 2011 15:14

Miracle Worker is 'record of the week' on the UK's Radio 2!

Record of the Week
Hear this track every day this week with Ken Bruce and Alex Lester

SuperHeavy - Miracle Worker
From the forthcoming album SuperHeavy
A&M
Single release: 12th September 2011

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Date: August 13, 2011 17:29

django
I like the track but I don't like Mick's singing. Unfortunately my english is not good enough to explain exactly what I mean. For me he sings too much. He tries to put a maximum of emotion in every single line of the song. Way too much! Less would be more. I had the same impression with Laugh, I Nearly Died from ABB. Over the top. He destroys a good song with his singing.

I know exactly what you mean, as he overly enunciates every syllable.

With that said, I think it works perfectly in this tune, and works as an excellent counterbalance to the more relaxed vocals of the other singers, and helps to build the tension to the chorus. I think his vocal take on this is fantastic, and 'makes this song' something other than a simple reggae number.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: August 13, 2011 17:48

I hadn't listen to the song or watch the video until today. With the comments here as well as the photo (Mick in pink suit), I really didn't feel like it before.

I was prepared for a good laugh - but it actually is quite a good catchy song, and the pink suit, in the context of the video, fits ok. Mick's singing is not natural, but it hasn't been for years. Better than the Exile bonus in my opinion, where the older Mick was trying to sound dirty like the younger Mick.

Date: August 13, 2011 18:06

gwen
I hadn't listen to the song or watch the video until today. With the comments here as well as the photo (Mick in pink suit), I really didn't feel like it before.

That is such a shame. I see messages like this more often. Please don't let anyone's comment keep you from watching or listening. You will always be the best judge for yourself to find out what you like or don't like.

-------------------

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: August 13, 2011 18:54

You can listen to the 2nd Superheavy single over here:
[www.muziekfeeds.net]

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: August 13, 2011 23:28

django
I agree. Over-enunciation.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 63

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2178
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home