Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The lengthiest delay ever for the Stones to appear on stage
Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: June 4, 2015 12:23

I darkly remember having read on this board about an incident round a gig somewhere in New England in the seventies where even a governor had to intervene to get the Stones flown in, who finally appeared on stage about half a day late.

Anybody knows about it?

Re: The lengthiest delay ever for the Stones to appear on stage
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: June 4, 2015 12:25

1972 Boston bust. More on this story here: [www.iorr.org]

Many 1969 shows were delayed too, especially one of the Oakland shows that started around 2AM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-04 12:27 by franzk.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 4, 2015 12:27

Well, the bust was in Rhode Island. The show they were (not quite half a day) late for was Boston.

Date: June 4, 2015 12:35

Thank you.

Guess now, I must have read it in Robert Greenfield's book STP, where he dramatically described the atmosphere of the steaming waiting crowd.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 4, 2015 12:46

it's not at all clear that this was the lengthliest delay, and it was nowhere near half a day.

they took the stage at 12:45AM
stevie wonder had taken the stage at his scheduled time of 8PM.
figure the stones were supposed to take the stage at 9:30PM, that's a mere 3 hours late. (someone on here probably knows when they were supposed to take the stage.)

i believe they have been later than 3 hours many times in their touring career, up to and including on the 1981 tour. i don't think they started playing on time until the Vegas era began with Steel Wheels.

great pictures of the boston 1972 show here:
[www.bostonglobe.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-04 12:46 by Turner68.

Date: June 4, 2015 13:03

Turner68
it's not at all clear that this was the lengthliest delay, and it was nowhere near half a day.

they took the stage at 12:45AM
stevie wonder had taken the stage at his scheduled time of 8PM.
figure the stones were supposed to take the stage at 9:30PM, that's a mere 3 hours late. (someone on here probably knows when they were supposed to take the stage.)

i believe they have been later than 3 hours many times in their touring career, up to and including on the 1981 tour. i don't think they started playing on time until the Vegas era began with Steel Wheels.

great pictures of the boston 1972 show here:
[www.bostonglobe.com]

Then the question is still open. Three hours doesn't really sound that late. Must be Greenfield's dramatic description gave me the impression the waiting lastet that long.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 4, 2015 13:15

The lengthiest delay ever for the Stones to appear on stage ....... that was from July 25, 1982 to August 12, 1989 winking smiley

Date: June 4, 2015 13:30

Pardon my poor English, Irix. smiling smiley

Seven years. That's of course a long waiting time. It was even eight years if your location was restricted to one continent only. In Germany that was from 1982 to 1990. And I still remember that long period very well. And to the previous tour it was also eight years, wasn't it, in Europe from 1976 to 1982.

But what I mean is the period of time betweeen announced show begin and actual appearance on stage.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 4, 2015 13:45

dead.flowers

But what I mean is the period of time betweeen announced show begin and actual appearance on stage.

I know - the Tour-break was meant semi-seriously, more a fun .... smiling smiley

RS Concert Tour chronology: [en.wikipedia.org] .

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 4, 2015 13:46

The lengthiest delay ever for the Stones to appear was at Knebworth in August 76. Problems with 10cc's poxy synths which kept going out of tune due to the day's scorching temperature which then dropped rapidly at night delayed the start to their set by 2 hours.

And legend has it that the Stones were kept waiting by Keith who was waiting on Spanish Tony to bring da stuff. The Stones made it on stage at 10pm, five hours past their scheduled stage time by which time most people had resigned themselved to missing the las train which was leaving at midnight.

I slept blissfully under a tree on route to Stevenage Stn that night. It was some gig - the longest they had ever played.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-04 14:53 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 4, 2015 13:49

...Altamont (too), maybe?
I dunno how many hours, though.
They waited until it was dark, didn't they?

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 4, 2015 13:55

Silver Dagger
The lengthies delay eve for the Stones to appear was at Knebworth in August 76. Problems with 10cc's poxy synths which kept going out of tune due to the day's scorching temperature which then dropped rapidly at night delayed the start to their set by 2 hours.

And legend has it that the Stones were kept waiting by Keith who was waiting for Spanish Tony who bringing da stuff for his man. The Stones made it on stage at way past 10pm by which time most people had resigned themselved to missing the las train which was leaving at midnight.

I slept blissfully under a tree on route to Stevenage Stn that night. It was some gig - the longest they had ever played.

Yeah, I was thinking that they really topped it off by playing for so long. Maybe Tony's stuff was good. But was Sanchez hanging with the Stones by that time?

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: June 4, 2015 13:57

They were also late in West Palm Beach in 1969!

The batteries of the tape recorder were quite gone by the time the Stones hit the stage!

Posted by: MJ78 ()
Date: June 4, 2015 14:01

HaHAHAHA.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 4, 2015 14:10

dead.flowers

Seven years. That's of course a long waiting time. It was even eight years if your location was restricted to one continent only. In Germany that was from 1982 to 1990. And I still remember that long period very well. And to the previous tour it was also eight years, wasn't it, in Europe from 1976 to 1982.

1976 to 1982 = 6 years...smiling smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 4, 2015 14:27

RoughJusticeOnYa
...Altamont (too), maybe?
I dunno how many hours, though.
They waited until it was dark, didn't they?

That was the original plan, though. The gap between bands was caused by the Grateful Dead backing out,
not by the Stones being late.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 4, 2015 14:54

LieB
Silver Dagger
The lengthies delay eve for the Stones to appear was at Knebworth in August 76. Problems with 10cc's poxy synths which kept going out of tune due to the day's scorching temperature which then dropped rapidly at night delayed the start to their set by 2 hours.

And legend has it that the Stones were kept waiting by Keith who was waiting for Spanish Tony who bringing da stuff for his man. The Stones made it on stage at way past 10pm by which time most people had resigned themselved to missing the las train which was leaving at midnight.

Yeah, I was thinking that they really topped it off by playing for so long. Maybe Tony's stuff was good. But was Sanchez hanging with the Stones by that time?

Think he linked up again with Keith on the 76 UK tour.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 4, 2015 15:30

Silver Dagger
Think he linked up again with Keith on the 76 UK tour.

Yup, I googled it and he apparently wrote about it in his book:
(excerpt published at [www.dailymail.co.uk])

I was too absorbed in my own misery to see much of Keith and at some point I dropped off his payroll.

He still called me occasionally, asking me to get drugs for him, and usually I would co-operate. But then the turning point came.

The Stones were playing a huge outdoor concert somewhere - I don't even remember where - and Keith and Mick asked me to bring cocaine to their dressing room.

There was a mix-up over security passes and in a wrangle with a security man, I suddenly realised I didn't want this life any more. I turned on my heel, walked away and the next day booked myself into rehab.

I next heard from them several years later when Keith found out I was starting work on a book about my time with the Stones.

I got a message saying he didn't want it published and asking me to meet him in his hotel room in New York, where we were both staying.

After we had chatted about old times, he slipped his hand under a cushion, pulled out a small gun and pointed it at my head. My stomach churned as I gently pushed it away.

'Don't muck about Keith,' I said. 'I'm not mucking about,' he snapped. Then he chuckled and invited me to share a bottle of whisky with him.

The next day, he phoned me and asked me to go on tour with the Stones. I was tempted but I knew that to go back on the road was to go back on heroin.

I refused and, to this day, I have not heard a word from any of the Rolling Stones.

Extracted from Up And Down With The Rolling Stones by Tony Sanchez, published by John Blake at £6.99 @ Tony Sanchez 2010.

Date: June 4, 2015 15:45

EddieByword
dead.flowers

1976 to 1982 = 6 years...smiling smiley

Now it's out. I'm not only bad at English but also lousy at maths.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2007
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home