Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Leicester 1976: Clapton joins the Stones on stage
Posted by: Britney ()
Date: June 6, 2011 15:58

Stumbled upon a piece of the puzzle regarding the Leicester 1976 shows. A Dutch newspaper article about the first Leicester (may 14th) show mentions Clapton getting on stage to join the band for Key To The Highway. Which would indicate the available recording is probably the may 15th show.

[/URL

Re: Leicester 1976: Clapton joins the Stones on stage
Posted by: marko ()
Date: June 6, 2011 16:06

Interesting!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 6, 2011 16:06

Thanks......allthough I don't understand a word of it

I'm also surprised to see people mentioning the date of the Leicester show of which Clapton joined to be happening on May 15th.

I have always had this Clapton-occation listed as May 14th - while I had the "Leicester show which is existing" marked as May 15th.

Date: June 6, 2011 19:10

Erik_Snow
Thanks......allthough I don't understand a word of it

I'm also surprised to see people mentioning the date of the Leicester show of which Clapton joined to be happening on May 15th.

I have always had this Clapton-occation listed as May 14th - while I had the "Leicester show which is existing" marked as May 15th.

Well it has been a subject of some debate amongst Stones and Clapton fans. Nico Zentgraf lists Clapton's appearance with the Stones as May 15th. This article confirms it took place on the 14th.

According to the reporter the crowd went crazy while Jagger and Clapton performed a touching rendition of Key To The Highway.

Can someone dig up the tape of that magic moment?

Posted by: martinw ()
Date: June 7, 2011 10:36

I was at the Leicester show on the 14th, which was a Friday, and one of the best concerts I'd ever been to (at the time). So I was a bit peeved to read in the NME the following week that Clapton had got up and played on the following night (Saturday 15th).

So, the available tape is of the 14th, Clapton played on the 15th, and, as far as I know, there is no tape circulating of this. Perhaps one reason is that for some reason security was very tight, everyone was searched, bags searched, etc and all cameras, tape recorders etc. were confiscated. You got a ticket and had to pick them up after the concert...

Date: June 7, 2011 11:37

martinw
I was at the Leicester show on the 14th, which was a Friday, and one of the best concerts I'd ever been to (at the time). So I was a bit peeved to read in the NME the following week that Clapton had got up and played on the following night (Saturday 15th).

So, the available tape is of the 14th, Clapton played on the 15th, and, as far as I know, there is no tape circulating of this. Perhaps one reason is that for some reason security was very tight, everyone was searched, bags searched, etc and all cameras, tape recorders etc. were confiscated. You got a ticket and had to pick them up after the concert...

Thanks martinw. So we have contradicting eyewitness reports... Maybe the Dutch reporter mistakingly claims he went to see the first show? Anybody have a scan of the NME report mentioned?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 7, 2011 11:44

I were probably at 50 concerts 1976, but do I even remember the exact year for nearly 40 year old concerts? What I remember for sure is that I visited Bowie's on his Station to Station tour that year...grinning smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 7, 2011 12:00

Interesting parts of this interview are about Bill Wyman's second solo album (Stone alone)
and Mick's "long awaited" solo record.

Bill is modestly calling his solo efforts just a hobby. He claims he just wanted to do
something useful with all the songs he wrote over the years and that would not fit in the
Stones-context. He says he would not even want The Stones to use his songs, because he
thinks Mick and Keith are much better song writers.

Mick on the other hand claims he did not record a solo album, because he uses his best
songs for the Stones. There is no material left for a solo album. He did not want to do
something like Bowies "Pin Ups" album with less creative songs.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: June 7, 2011 17:43

EC tours.de list the appearance as the 15th, it says he played the following songs with the stones:

Key to the highway
Brown sugar
Jumpin' Jack flash
Street fighting man (Encore)

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: June 7, 2011 18:28

760515B 15th May: Leicester, England, Granby Hall, incl.
(Honky Tonk Women/Star Star/Midnight Rambler/It’s Only Rock’n Roll/Brown Sugar/Jumping Jack Flash)
Note: With special guest Eric Clapton (gtr) on Jumping Jack Flash and Street Fighting Man and on guitar and lead vocals on Key To The Highway.
The listed songs (and probably more) were filmed by Thames TV for the upcoming 'Stones On The Road'-special (see 760500C).

[www.nzentgraf.de]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-07 18:29 by 1962.

Date: June 7, 2011 18:40

(Honky Tonk Women/Star Star/Midnight Rambler/It’s Only Rock’n Roll/Brown Sugar/Jumping Jack Flash)
Note: With special guest Eric Clapton (gtr) on Jumping Jack Flash and Street Fighting Man and on guitar and lead vocals on Key To The Highway.
The listed songs (and probably more) were filmed by Thames TV for the upcoming 'Stones On The Road'-special (see 760500C).

[www.nzentgraf.de]

mr_c_ox
EC tours.de list the appearance as the 15th, it says he played the following songs with the stones:

Key to the highway
Brown sugar
Jumpin' Jack flash

Well these "listings" doesn't MEAN anything, every source just copies another source, and even Zentgraf has been wrong several times.

Not saying that it IS May 14th at all, it could be 14th or 15th for all I know - it's just that a lot of setlist-lists and tour-lists has been incorrect for decades, untill some person comes up with a newsreport, recording or ticket-stub which proves that it's all wrong. People seems to take Zentgraf's site as some kind of bible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-07 18:44 by Erik_Snow.

Date: June 7, 2011 19:00

Erik_Snow

Well these "listings" doesn't MEAN anything, every source just copies another source, and even Zentgraf has been wrong several times.

Not saying that it IS May 14th at all, it could be 14th or 15th for all I know - it's just that a lot of setlist-lists and tour-lists has been incorrect for decades, untill some person comes up with a newsreport, recording or ticket-stub which proves that it's all wrong. People seems to take Zentgraf's site as some kind of bible.

Zentgrafs site is an impressive body of work and a valuable source but in some cases it's nothing more than the best educated guess. I think Nico will be the last to claim that all the info in his database is correct and I know he appreciates additional info and corrections. It's a neverending work in progress.

Date: June 7, 2011 19:06

Britney
Erik_Snow

Zentgrafs site is an impressive body of work and a valuable source but in some cases it's nothing more than the best educated guess. I think Nico will be the last to claim that all the info in his database is correct and I know he appreciates additional info and corrections. It's a neverending work in progress.

Oh but you know that THAT is what I mean - I just don't bother to state the obvious, but now you have - thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-07 19:07 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: June 7, 2011 19:56

mr_c_ox

Key to the highway
Brown sugar
Jumpin' Jack flash

I have found this site to list very accurate info on EC's appearances even in cases of shows that were in relative obscurity.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: June 7, 2011 20:05

Did this show "filmed by Thames TV" ever air anywhere?

[www.nzentgraf.de]

Date: June 7, 2011 20:17

1cdog
Did this show "filmed by Thames TV" ever air anywhere?

Yes, you can watch it here [www.iorr.org]

Date: June 8, 2011 12:01

Erik_Snow
Britney
Erik_Snow

Oh but you know that THAT is what I mean - I just don't bother to state the obvious, but now you have - thanks

I know you know I know what you meant Erik. Just paying some kudos to Nico for his hard work for those who don't know what we mean. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-08 12:02 by Britney.

Date: June 8, 2011 12:04

1cdog
mr_c_ox

Key to the highway
Brown sugar
Jumpin' Jack flash

I have found this site to list very accurate info on EC's appearances even in cases of shows that were in relative obscurity.

Talking about accuracy; The Dutch article suggests Clapton only joined the band on stage for Key To The Highway.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 8, 2011 12:57

Britney
Talking about accuracy; The Dutch article suggests Clapton only joined the band on stage for Key To The Highway.

Yes, I noticed that too, and he states it was the encore. The article also mentioned that one of the sections of the stands was evacuated because it sounded as if it would collapse and there were several injured in the audience that had to be carried out..

Posted by: adrian1958 ()
Date: June 8, 2011 14:39

I was at both Leicester shows on the 14th & 15th May and I can confirm 100% that Clapton played on the 15th. He joined the Stones mid-set for Key to the Highway and came back for the last 3 numbers.
These were 2 wild shows in a real barn of a place. I think the Thames TV footage 'Stones on the Road' bears this out.

Date: June 8, 2011 14:47

adrian1958
I was at both Leicester shows on the 14th & 15th May and I can confirm 100% that Clapton played on the 15th. He joined the Stones mid-set for Key to the Highway and came back for the last 3 numbers.
These were 2 wild shows in a real barn of a place. I think the Thames TV footage 'Stones on the Road' bears this out.

Thanks - now there's 2 eye witnesses here who says it was on the 15th of May... - that's good enough for me!

<<He joined the Stones mid-set for Key to the Highway and came back for the last 3 numbers.>>

WAre you saying that Key To The Highway was played in the middle of the set? First time I've heard about that - always read about it being an encore; which surprised the audience

Date: June 8, 2011 16:36

Erik_Snow
adrian1958

Thanks - now there's 2 eye witnesses here who says it was on the 15th of May... - that's good enough for me!

<<He joined the Stones mid-set for Key to the Highway and came back for the last 3 numbers.>>

WAre you saying that Key To The Highway was played in the middle of the set? First time I've heard about that - always read about it being an encore; which surprised the audience

The author of this Clapton fansite also puts it in the middle of the set:

[www.angelfire.com]

Posted by: adrian1958 ()
Date: June 8, 2011 17:02

Key to the Highway was played mid-set for sure. My brother who was also there confirms this fact. He stood in the back line next to Charlie's drums.

Date: June 9, 2011 17:05

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: June 18, 2018 23:38

I realise this is a zombie thread but I was there and I can confirm it was the Saturday concert so the 15th May 1976
I remember Key To The Highway and yes he strummed along to the encores too.
42 years later and still a great gig. Long live Leicester Granby Halls

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1867
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home