Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mick and Keith - writing together?
Posted by: bigbitch ()
Date: March 28, 2015 22:38

Seriously when do you think was the last time Mick and Keith actually had a real go at crafting a Rolling Stones album with the two principals of the Band writing together...I know that during Bigger Bang there was certainly some collaboration when Keith stayed at Mick's and Charlie was still dealing with his cancer....but when was the last time they gave a flying @#$%& about putting out something that was collaborative in the traditional sense of the way the Band used to do it....

I get it...they certainly got sick of one another...and there seems to be a detente that works for touring....I was actually point to Keith who is the one who has not delivered for years.....yawn inducing ballads of meandering sketches of slowly paced songs with nothing to say...yet you would hope that for at least 2 months they would try to write as a team and make a statement at this late part of the game...

Maybe it is just too much to ask of them to even try anymore.....they were and are bigger than life....the expectations and large measure of delivered greatness for the first 25- 30 years ran its course I suppose and there is nothing in the tank I suspect.....

I saw them in a great show in Chicago in 2013 and I might add it may have been the most airtime Mick Taylor received from that point onward...it was a great night...it evoked all of the right things....but I kept asking myself even now why don't they try "Plundered My Soul"....if not for us for themselves....

I used once to say there were about 3songs they could NEVER NOT play in concert....HTW, BS, JJF....and for good reason......but after the last 15 years if I never heard any of them again live - particularly JJF which sux out loud anymore.....I would not be worse for the experience.

It's not bitching so much as wondering....it's too bad....I guess we want our heroes to go out like Ted Williams I am reminded of John famous article on Ted Williams last at bat in the major leagues....

"Like a feather caught in a vortex, Williams ran around the square of bases at the center of our beseeching screaming. He ran as he always ran out home runs—hurriedly, unsmiling, head down, as if our praise were a storm of rain to get out of. He didn't tip his cap. Though we thumped, wept, and chanted "We want Ted" for minutes after he hid in the dugout, he did not come back. Our noise for some seconds passed beyond excitement into a kind of immense open anguish, a wailing, a cry to be saved. But immortality is nontransferable. The papers said that the other players, and even the umpires on the field, begged him to come out and acknowledge us in some way, but he never had and did not now. Gods do not answer letters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-29 19:20 by bv.

Re: Seriously when do you think was the last time Mick and Keith actually had a real go
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: March 28, 2015 23:07

Re M & K trying, the sacred fires have burned out, IMHO, regarding meaningful and memorable new Stones songs. They aren't the first and certainly not the last team of songwriters this has happened to and will happen to. The Rolling Stones, band wise, are a corporate juggernaut and the bottom line is what matters. The Stones and their shows are product. So, if you can keep spinning the same product, with a new additive here or there to bring in the consumers, and still make money, why would you really change it? Terrible to say this, I know, but it's what they are to me and probably many others these days.

Interesting that Ted Williams was used here to make a point. Here's a couple of links that note what happened to Mister Williams after his death. Far as I know, his parts still remain somewhere here in Arizona frozen for eternity. Interesting to think of the same happening to Mick and Keith one day. And, supposedly, the late Walt Disney is resting in a tube somewhere awaiting reanimation.

[sports.espn.go.com]

[www.cbsnews.com]

Re: Seriously when do you think was the last time Mick and Keith actually had a real go
Posted by: bam ()
Date: March 28, 2015 23:15

I do wish they would play Plundered My Soul. At least once.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 28, 2015 23:24

Probably and unfortunately not in a very long time.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 28, 2015 23:25

Who knows what's ahappenin' behind closed doors ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: March 28, 2015 23:58

Rockman
Who knows what's ahappenin' behind closed doors ....

Exactly. If they announce the upcoming shows together on NYC radio this Monday morning it would be the first time in a while that the two of them appeared together and not separately for an interview or appearance. Usually it seems to be full band or when its Mick and Keith, its separate. If you go back to that Ronnie and Charlie pic earlier this year it seems they're all spending a lot of time in the NYC area. It could all mean nothing but if they are recording and (gasp) things are going well rather than break the momentum and travel to say the West Coast, where the tour will likely commence, stay near where you're working in NYC and announce the shows from there. It's all conjecture at this point but time will tell. Either way by all accounts the Glimmers working (and personal) relationship seems almost byzantine in its complexity.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 29, 2015 00:02

I think a better question is, When was the last time the Rolling Stones' concert audience was collectively young enough to applaud and cheer enthusiastically when Mick announced to them "We're gonna play a new song for you now"?

Answer: Hampton 1981

Date: March 29, 2015 00:17

stonehearted
I think a better question is, When was the last time the Rolling Stones' concert audience was collectively young enough to applaud and cheer enthusiastically when Mick announced to them "We're gonna play a new song for you now"?

Answer: Hampton 1981

Some deep truth there, and on a lot of levels. By '89 the game had changed.

Date: March 29, 2015 00:23

I remember an excited young crowd cheering wildly for RJ, ONNYA and TPIE, even though they had toured ABB for the good part of two years.

Maybe I dreamt it?...

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: March 29, 2015 01:53

bam
I do wish they would play Plundered My Soul. At least once.

The vocals on that song are throat-ripping. He could give it his all in the studio for a few takes, maybe over the course of a few sessions. But live....I suppose he could do it if there weren't two hours of other songs to do.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 29, 2015 01:58

DandelionPowderman
I remember an excited young crowd cheering wildly for RJ, ONNYA and TPIE, even though they had toured ABB for the good part of two years.

Maybe I dreamt it?...

Must be it, or by "crowd" you mean 20 people.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 29, 2015 17:13

I cheered loudly when they announced "Learning The Game" in 2006...I was told to simmer down

Date: March 29, 2015 17:58

Munichhilton
I cheered loudly when they announced "Learning The Game" in 2006...I was told to simmer down

Right? Some people think concerts are like golf matches, politely clap between songs, sit down and keep your mouth shut. Sure, there are artists and shows that is appropriate for, but bands like the Stones feed on the audience energy. That's how and when a show becomes special. A quiet crowd=lackluster show because there's no push/pull or give/take between the band and audience. I was at a Who show a few years ago and was told to sit down, nobody was standing, and it was the friggin' Who! Unless for physical reasons, or during a slower number, why would one not stand up for a Who show. Same goes for the Stones.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 29, 2015 18:44

the ER sessions were the last time they believed they could do some work together. Maybe. Mic has worked with others for so long. He has never really been tied to Keith.

Date: March 29, 2015 19:03

71Tele
DandelionPowderman

Maybe I dreamt it?...

Seriously, people were cheering more for the new songs in 2007.

It might have something to do with not being crazy about hearing Miss You for the umpteenth time, but...

Re: Mick and Keith - writing together?
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 29, 2015 19:42

"Voodoo Residue" shows them working pretty closely together in 1993 with both bouncing pretty early ideas around. Not much of lasting interest came out of these sessions...hence the fact that they didn't really bother after that, apparently coming to sessions with more finished songs ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 29, 2015 19:55

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

Maybe I dreamt it?...

It might have something to do with not being crazy about hearing Miss You for the umpteenth time, but...

OK. Maybe I dreamed something different. Believe me I would just love it if the Stones put out some material on par with their best work, or even close. I just don't believe in pretending that anything (to my ears) they have done since around 1984 qualifies.

Posted by: glimmerkkp ()
Date: March 29, 2015 21:39

------------------------------

[glimmerkkp.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: March 29, 2015 22:23

You gotta love how the title was edited in such a subtle manner.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 29, 2015 23:03

Chacal

It's a better question, I thought the orig. title was referring to when they last fought.

I've heard that the Bigger Bang sessions were structured to do exactly that, give Mick and Keith time and room to truly collaborate. The fact that the results were mediocre just tells me that it isn't ever going to be like the golden years.

Too much water under the bridge, too many years growing apart musically and otherwise. Mick and Keith are such different people these days the authenticity of any collaboration is bound to be effected. Such an intimate process, maybe the trust is somewhat diluted, but mainly I think they've already milked their souls for the truly great stuff and they are just less interested in searching the corners for the scraps that are left, and spending the time necessary to truly develop them like they used to.

I think of the old stories of Keith literally spending hours playing the same riff until he had the right groove, no way he approaches a song like that these days. And Micks lyrical content used to be naturally dangerous and relevant in an autobiographical sort of way. Sir Jagger seems a bit too posh, respectable and business-like to be able to pull off lyrics like Brown Sugar and Gimme Shelter, et al. these days. What's he going to write deeply about with any kind of authenticity these days? Hotels with crummy room service? Mansions with noisy neighbors? Politics? Although I am holding out for for a sad and heartfelt tune about the late, lovely L'Wren, but it will be telling if he let's Keith have any part of it.

peace

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 30, 2015 04:52

Mick's not too posh to hang out on a balcony in pajamas with the ballerina, at least
until the photo is printed world-wide. Just sayin'...Some of us feel he can pull off the
lyrics quite well. :-D The voice is still there to do it, that's for sure, imo, anyway.

You looking forward to a show or two this time around, NL?

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-30 04:54 by angee.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 30, 2015 05:29

Keith has just made a very brief participation at the iHeartRadio Music Awards, broadcasted by the NBC TV. Not sure if he's writing something, though. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 30, 2015 06:31

For what turned out to be UNDERCOVER.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 30, 2015 07:43

angee
Mick's not too posh to hang out on a balcony in pajamas with the ballerina, at least
until the photo is printed world-wide. Just sayin'...Some of us feel he can pull off the
lyrics quite well. :-D The voice is still there to do it, that's for sure, imo, anyway.

You looking forward to a show or two this time around, NL?

Hey girl, they were probably $500 silk pajamas! With a silk chair inside and silk sheets in a disheveled state around the bed. May I remind you of some of my favorite lyrics:

"When You're sittin' there, in your silk upholstered chair
Talkin' to some rich folks that you know
I hope you won't see me, and my ragged company
Cause you know I could never be alone......."

The days of Mick writing lyrics like that are long gone. Surprised he can still sing 'em with authority..yeah he can, but surely he's just remembering.smoking smiley

Hell yeah I'm looking forward to a show or two! I have a bad feeling it may be our last chance and SF is one of my ATF records so I'm pretty excited. Factors like timing, special guests and varied set lists will determine my commitment to multiple shows. I usually skip the feeding frenzy for early tickets and make decisions closer to the day of the show, there are always good seats available if you don't mind spending the $ and since I don't know what I'm doing next week, planning two months ahead is a big deal...

How about you angee? Got to be excited about that Ohio date! Looks like it's a sure thing.

peace

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 30, 2015 09:16

glimmerkkp

------------------------------

Sure but that is PR for their comeback. Mick had to do something with Keith because he had to pretend they were the best of friends again.

Date: March 30, 2015 10:29

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

Maybe I dreamt it?...

OK. Maybe I dreamed something different. Believe me I would just love it if the Stones put out some material on par with their best work, or even close. I just don't believe in pretending that anything (to my ears) they have done since around 1984 qualifies.

Does it have to be "on par" with anything, as long as it's good?

I know what you're saying, of course, and I don't necessarily disagree - merely sharing an observation from that show.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 30, 2015 16:38

Naturalust
Chacal

It's a better question, I thought the orig. title was referring to when they last fought.

I've heard that the Bigger Bang sessions were structured to do exactly that, give Mick and Keith time and room to truly collaborate. The fact that the results were mediocre just tells me that it isn't ever going to be like the golden years.

Too much water under the bridge, too many years growing apart musically and otherwise. Mick and Keith are such different people these days the authenticity of any collaboration is bound to be effected. Such an intimate process, maybe the trust is somewhat diluted, but mainly I think they've already milked their souls for the truly great stuff and they are just less interested in searching the corners for the scraps that are left, and spending the time necessary to truly develop them like they used to.

I think of the old stories of Keith literally spending hours playing the same riff until he had the right groove, no way he approaches a song like that these days. And Micks lyrical content used to be naturally dangerous and relevant in an autobiographical sort of way. Sir Jagger seems a bit too posh, respectable and business-like to be able to pull off lyrics like Brown Sugar and Gimme Shelter, et al. these days. What's he going to write deeply about with any kind of authenticity these days? Hotels with crummy room service? Mansions with noisy neighbors? Politics? Although I am holding out for for a sad and heartfelt tune about the late, lovely L'Wren, but it will be telling if he let's Keith have any part of it.

peace

To some extent I agree with the last paragraph. However, if true, it is an indicement on the Glimmers talents as songwriters. There are plenty of their millionaire contempories around still able to write, create and produce some good material. Both of them have had plenty of experiences, good and bad, personal and proffesional, to use and develop into new material.
When the history books are written the last 20 or so years will be written off as the nostalga years, a far cry from Dylan's productivity over the same period, for example.
Is that how they want their epitaph to be?

Date: March 30, 2015 17:43

Bridges to Babylon had a few good new tunes.

Mike

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 30, 2015 19:57

<<I was at a Who show a few years ago and was told to sit down>>

Same thing happened to me at a Who show in 2006 (TD Garden in Boston).

However, at the same venue for a Who show in 2012 there was no one telling you to sit down and most of the crowd were on their feet throughout, same with the Stones at the same venue in 2013, so maybe these corporate venues have relaxed their more restrictive policies since then.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 25, 2015 12:39

bigbitch
Seriously when do you think was the last time Mick and Keith actually had a real go at crafting a Rolling Stones album with the two principals of the Band writing together...I know that during Bigger Bang there was certainly some collaboration when Keith stayed at Mick's and Charlie was still dealing with his cancer....but when was the last time they gave a flying @#$%& about putting out something that was collaborative in the traditional sense of the way the Band used to do it....

I get it...they certainly got sick of one another...and there seems to be a detente that works for touring....I was actually point to Keith who is the one who has not delivered for years.....yawn inducing ballads of meandering sketches of slowly paced songs with nothing to say...yet you would hope that for at least 2 months they would try to write as a team and make a statement at this late part of the game...

Maybe it is just too much to ask of them to even try anymore.....they were and are bigger than life....the expectations and large measure of delivered greatness for the first 25- 30 years ran its course I suppose and there is nothing in the tank I suspect.....

I saw them in a great show in Chicago in 2013 and I might add it may have been the most airtime Mick Taylor received from that point onward...it was a great night...it evoked all of the right things....but I kept asking myself even now why don't they try "Plundered My Soul"....if not for us for themselves....

I used once to say there were about 3songs they could NEVER NOT play in concert....HTW, BS, JJF....and for good reason......but after the last 15 years if I never heard any of them again live - particularly JJF which sux out loud anymore.....I would not be worse for the experience.

It's not bitching so much as wondering....it's too bad....I guess we want our heroes to go out like Ted Williams I am reminded of John famous article on Ted Williams last at bat in the major leagues....

"Like a feather caught in a vortex, Williams ran around the square of bases at the center of our beseeching screaming. He ran as he always ran out home runs—hurriedly, unsmiling, head down, as if our praise were a storm of rain to get out of. He didn't tip his cap. Though we thumped, wept, and chanted "We want Ted" for minutes after he hid in the dugout, he did not come back. Our noise for some seconds passed beyond excitement into a kind of immense open anguish, a wailing, a cry to be saved. But immortality is nontransferable. The papers said that the other players, and even the umpires on the field, begged him to come out and acknowledge us in some way, but he never had and did not now. Gods do not answer letters.

my guess is sometime while they were making some girls.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1314
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home