Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Keith never on drums
Posted by: varilla ()
Date: May 27, 2011 23:27

Being a guitar player that speaks so much about drumming and drummers importance, isn´t it strange that he never ever even sat in the drum kit stoolto have a go? Not that i ever heard of it at least.
The only time i´m aware hes done it is with little Alex on his lap (photo in LIFE) but i would love to hear some of Keith with the snare and the bass drum

Re: Keith never on drums
Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: May 27, 2011 23:28

there is one pic from the 60s I believe where he is tinkering on charlies kit

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 27, 2011 23:47

vudicus

That sort of thing should be illegal

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: May 27, 2011 23:49

i've never seen him play a didgeridoo. hmm... conspiracy?

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: May 27, 2011 23:50

crumbling_mice
vudicus

That sort of thing should be illegal

Oh crumbling...such a dirty mind. I love it!

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: May 27, 2011 23:56

In "LIFE" you'll find a photo of Keith behind the drums together with his daughter.

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: May 28, 2011 00:47

Why have we never seen Mick Jagger playing the drums?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 28, 2011 01:01

varilla
Being a guitar player that speaks so much about drumming and drummers importance, isn´t it strange that he never ever even sat in the drum kit stoolto have a go? Not that i ever heard of it at least.

He has stated in interviews (sorry, don't know which ones) that he did try to play the drums, but just couldn't do it.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: May 28, 2011 01:25

mitchflorida

Also available in picture form, either "Undercover" or "Dirty Work" sessions, can't quite remember

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 28, 2011 01:31

This is a great question!! We all know Brian was multi-talented. Is there a compilation of instruments that each Stone performs??

Thanks

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: May 28, 2011 01:33

vudicus
mitchflorida

Also available in picture form, either "Undercover" or "Dirty Work" sessions, can't quite remember

Also on the Bang dvd( the one that came with the cd) there is footage of Mick playing drums.I think he did a lot of the drumming while Charlie was sick.I believe Charlie did the parts again when he was well eniugh to join Mick and Keith.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 8, 2011 09:20

Keith isn't like Macca that was UNABLE TO LET THINGS ALONE....

Date: November 8, 2011 09:33

vudicus
mitchflorida

Mick is playing the drums on Wanna Hold You on one of the Undercover Outtakes-versions. So the liner notes say anyway.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 8, 2011 09:40

Keef's onstage leg kicks indicate that he may be right-handed and left-footed. Even if he grew up playing soccer and learned to kick with both feet, working the kick drum with the off-foot in a normally configured kit in time may be problematic.

I'm right-handed and left-footed. I can't play a normally configured drum kit in synch because my right foot on the kick drum always lags behind whatever my hands are doing. In teenage bands, I used to sneak behind the drum kit and bash away during breaks. Now that I'm in my 50s, I don't bother anymore.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: November 8, 2011 09:47

mitchflorida

Yes, we have:

Plus he played drums on ABB although most of his parts were overdubbed by Charlie. Any pictures of this?

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 8, 2011 11:09

Keith plays drums on the first Wingless Angels album, he´s one of the drummers on that..So there you go.

Date: November 8, 2011 12:39

It's one of the things that I've admired about Keith, the Cool One: that he never would put himself in positions that went against that very image. That he was smart to stay in control. Like I don't think you would ever have gotten Keith on a dance floor.
There is the clip in a TV performance of an early "Sympathy" with Rocky where Keith shakes a tambourine, but is sitting down and obviously just using it as a prop.
I hate to listen to someone playing drums who is not a drummer. E.g "Sleep Tonight". I'd rather be hearing a session drummer. Well, besides Charlie.

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-08 12:45 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: magee mineko ()
Date: November 8, 2011 14:57

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 8, 2011 15:12

Keith wouldn't make a very good drummer !
He plays around with timing a too much.

It's a big part of his effectiveness & uniqueness as a guitar player...but wouldn't work for a drummer ;^)

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: November 8, 2011 16:37

I've read an interview from 73' or 74' that Keith speaks a bit about playing drums.

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: November 8, 2011 16:44

If I remember well, I think it was in the french magazine ROCK and FOLK in 1974, he said in this interview during his time in switzerland, he had now pratically a complete kit drum.???

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: November 8, 2011 17:07

Might be that one, he talked a bit about reggae and Jamaica too.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: November 8, 2011 17:16

Keith reportedly plays drums on the track 'Books Of Moses' on the Lee Scratch Perry album 'Revelations' (haven't heard it yet).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-08 17:17 by Britney.

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: November 8, 2011 17:21

i love it when someone picks up on an old post. I think this is quite an interesting thread although not too many people seem to take interest on it.

Keith on drums, very, very rare....

Posted by: deuce ()
Date: November 8, 2011 17:29

I don't see why it's so odd. I mean, the guy isn't a drummer. And just because there aren't a ton of pictures to show it doesn't mean he hasn't sat down at the drums over the years.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 8, 2011 18:48

I wanna see Charlie playing a guitar

Date: November 8, 2011 20:57

If you let me ad lib a bad joke..

The only way I would imagine Keith playing drums could be ..mnnnn....may be in the 1972 Tour....

Keith is angrily banging the bass drum searching for something hidden by Bobby Keys inside it . On is way to the airport. Some magic powders were dangerously put there by his sax friend...so...he became a drummer as a last resort..

grinning smiley

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: February 24, 2012 21:46

www.rsundercover.eu

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 24, 2012 22:46

mitchflorida

I read about Jagger playing drums on a drunken session with Dylan which I think was around Blood On The Tracks period. Read it in Rolling Stone at the time, so it must have been true!

In the recent thread about GHS sessions there is a pic of Mick Taylor on drums and also playing what appears to be a recorder (channeling Brian?).

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 24, 2012 22:56

Keith reportedly plays drums on the track 'Books Of Moses' on the Lee Scratch Perry album 'Revelations' (haven't heard it yet).

....no Keith plays guitar on Books Of Moses.......

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1677
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home