Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Before They Make Run promo 45: Fake vs. the real deal
Posted by: R ()
Date: May 24, 2011 15:38

I tried to search for other threads on this subject but turned up none. Forgive me if this subject is redundant....

I read awhile back that counterfeit copies of the rare "Before They Make Me Run" were relatively commonplace. I finally got around to checking the two copies I own and sure enough, it would appear one is phony. They are different in the following ways:

1. The front sleeve photo of Keith on the real one is more detailed, especially in the lowlight areas of his face. On the fake those areas are posterized to a single shade of dark black/brown. Also, the moire pattern (the tiny dots created by a four color printing process) on the original are visible while they are not on the phony, suggesting the fake cover is derived from a digital scan of the original. To the counterfeiters credit the type on the back cover is sharp and pristine which is difficult when you're taking a picture of a printed item. That there are no photos on the back interfering with the type apparently helped.

2. Both versions have the same serial number etched into the trail out band between the end of song's grooves and the label, but they are in two distinctly different hands. Moreover, the trailout band on the fake is noticeably wider, nearly 3/4" as opposed to 1/2" on the legit version. Finally, the way the light hits the grooves of the two versions is distinctly different. The real version appears to have smoother grooves that reflect light uniformly while the fake appears to reflect in almost a sporadic, grated pattern.

3. Sonically the real one sounds crisper and more detailed with "headroom" between the instruments while the apparent fake makes the same signal sound and feel flatter.

4. A miniscule difference in the label on my copies; the (identical to the original) info on my copies is offset to the right a tiny bit on the fake while perfectly centered on the real one. This bit of 'evidence' might be a reach as perfect symmetry on a 45 label is rare anyway.

These are my observations. I'd be interested in what others might have to say on the subject.

Re: Before They Make Run promo 45: Fake vs. the real deal
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: May 24, 2011 15:56

Very Interesting!

Can you take, and post pics? It would be cool to visually contrast the two.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 24, 2011 19:52

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 24, 2011 20:04

UrbanSteel
If you can't see Keith's pupil you got your self a fake.

Great advice there from Urban Steel there, easy to check ones copy to know where it stands. Luckily my copy is the real thing. Great version of BTMMR, btw.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 24, 2011 21:41

I agree. I think its the better mix of the two.
Maybe it will be a part of SG deluxe...they should mix a few more songs on there like this one and the Beast Of Burden 8-track mix.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1648
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home