Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Which Stones Concert Video?
Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: February 18, 2015 19:46

Hey Stones-fans! smiling bouncing smiley

I want to buy some new video-stuff of the stones. Hope you can recommend something to me. No concerts at the moment, so I'm looking for something to watch at evening. It doesn't matter if DVD or download.

I'm looking for something from the 'modern stones-era' (90s till now). I already own the Hyde Park DVD which I really love - they play tight and the overall sound is great - but I am tired of it 'cause I watched it too often winking smiley
I also own Shine A Light which is great too, mainly because of the setlist, but I don't like the playing of Keith and Ronnie very much on that.
I've seen live at the Max but I don't like that 80s Drum-sound.

So which would you recommend me to buy?
Is Four Flicks worth the 65€?
I watched some Yt videos of the Licks tour but don't really like Mick's singing.
What about the B2B/No Security Tour?

I'm sure you can recommend something winking smiley

StonedRambler

Re: Which Stones Concert Video?
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 18, 2015 22:57

There are some really fine shows that haven't yet been released officially,
but I gather you're looking only for official stuff?
Four Flicks is good, and frequently on sale. Go for it!

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: February 18, 2015 23:00

Bridges To Babylon Tour DVD from St Louis 1997 is one hell of a show. They are all on fire. Four Flicks is a must too.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 18, 2015 23:18

Four Flicks. Everything you can want is there. They're playing brilliantly. Even the stadium gig is a joy to watch. It's worth it just for this incredible performance if nothing else.

Date: February 19, 2015 00:15

with sssoul
There are some really fine shows that haven't yet been released officially,
but I gather you're looking only for official stuff?
Four Flicks is good, and frequently on sale. Go for it!
No, it don't has to be official stuff, but the quality should be enjoyable.

I will keep my eyes open if four flicks is on sale somewhere.
The playing seems very good. What about the sound quality/mix? In some YouTube videos it's okay but a bit squashy compared to Sweet Summer Sun or Shine A Light.
Anyway the Olympia Theatre Gig seems to be very interesting. I took a look at the setlist here at IORR. GREAT!

flairville
Bridges To Babylon Tour DVD from St Louis 1997 is one hell of a show. They are all on fire. Four Flicks is a must too.
Amazing! I watched some Videos of that concert. Very very tight and energetic. Too pity that the No Security Tour wasn't filmed professional but B2B was also great.
But where can I buy this in good quality? There are some very good Videos on their yt channel but I don't find something official?

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: February 19, 2015 00:34

Right now there are a couple of official BtB dvd's on Ebay at a reasonable price. Even someone sells the Four flicks box and the BtB dvd together for only 13 euro.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 19, 2015 02:04

FOUR FLICKS is outstanding. Don't bother with THE BIGGEST BANG. The BRIDGES 1997 one is really good too.

Date: February 19, 2015 02:46

GasLightStreet
FOUR FLICKS is outstanding. Don't bother with THE BIGGEST BANG. The BRIDGES 1997 one is really good too.

So long as you skip the Dave Matthews duet... grinning smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 19, 2015 02:53

How glaring is it that no one has even mentioned 'Shine A Light'.

I bought it and watched it once. I may actually take another crack at it.

Date: February 19, 2015 04:55

treaclefingers

He lists that and Hyde Park 2013 as two he owns from this period and lists his complaints, so I'm assuming he's seen them.

I would recommend Four Flicks, however. Maybe even Toronto 2005 if we get a proper DVD release soon...maybe as a bonus in the 15th deluxe edition of ABB in a few years... winking smiley

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: February 19, 2015 05:20

Four Flicks. All three shows are great. Club show is really good with a wonderful
Set list. I was at the stadium show - Twickenham and that is good too.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: February 19, 2015 08:45

StonedRambler
Hey Stones-fans! smiling bouncing smiley

I want to buy some new video-stuff of the stones. Hope you can recommend something to me. No concerts at the moment, so I'm looking for something to watch at evening. It doesn't matter if DVD or download.

I'm looking for something from the 'modern stones-era' (90s till now). I already own the Hyde Park DVD which I really love - they play tight and the overall sound is great - but I am tired of it 'cause I watched it too often winking smiley
I also own Shine A Light which is great too, mainly because of the setlist, but I don't like the playing of Keith and Ronnie very much on that.
I've seen live at the Max but I don't like that 80s Drum-sound.

So which would you recommend me to buy?
Is Four Flicks worth the 65€?
I watched some Yt videos of the Licks tour but don't really like Mick's singing.
What about the B2B/No Security Tour?

I'm sure you can recommend something winking smiley

StonedRambler

Four Flicks is mediocre at best. Only buy it if you can get it cheap. It's definitely not worth €65.

Date: February 19, 2015 09:25

StonedRambler

There's a lot of really fine-quality unofficial stuff from the years you want:
~ The Stripped DvD is semi-official - it was broadcast but never released. It's not 100% concert, but it's beautiful!
~ Voodoo Tokyo is great.
~ From the Bridges Tour, the 1997 Double Door warm-up club gig is pretty exciting.
~ Also from Bridges, the Soldier Field opening night show is quite funny. :E
~ The 1999 Shepherd's Bush show was shot from the audience and the video quality is rough in spots, but it's a fantastic show.
~ Saitama 2006 is one of my favourites, and it's a beautifully pro-shot show.

The official Bridges DvD doesn't appeal to me much - too much filming Mick's butt
because they can't work out which guitarist is playing. But if you enjoy Mick's butt it's okay.

If December 1989 fits into your wishlist timeframe, the Fox version of the Steel Wheels PPV is quite worthwhile.
The 3D effects on three numbers are funny, but the mix is better than the original PPV (the guitars! the guitars!)
and Keith has carnal knowledge of the music right there on stage. Beautiful!

Date: February 19, 2015 10:47

Atlantic City! It sounds WAY better than At The Max. Bridges To Babylon (St. Louis) is great, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-19 10:48 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: February 19, 2015 11:22

Thank you all for your suggestions!
Seems as if I have to get Four Flicks on Ebay. (Thank you GJV for that tip, didn't thought about that)
Then I got even 3 Concerts to watch smileys with beer, the most interesting is for me that Club/Theatre Gig.

Father Ted:
Four Flicks is mediocre at best. Only buy it if you can get it cheap. It's definitely not worth €65.

Why it's just mediocre for you? I would not pay 65€ but the others here swarm about it

with sssoul:
There's a lot of really fine-quality unofficial stuff from the years you want:
~ The Stripped DvD is semi-official - it was broadcast but never released. It's not 100% concert, but it's beautiful!
~ Voodoo Tokyo is great.
~ From the Bridges Tour, the 1997 Double Door warm-up club gig is pretty exciting.
~ Also from Bridges, the Soldier Field opening night show is quite funny. :E
~ The 1999 Shepherd's Bush show was shot from the audience and the video quality is rough in spots, but it's a fantastic show.
~ Saitama 2006 is one of my favourites, and it's a beautifully pro-shot show.

Interesting. Thanks a lot! I watched a lot on youtube but the quality of most videos didn't Appeal to me. Not sure if they are just uploaded in that quality or not better available.
On Shepherd's Bush their playing is really superb. Unfortunately just an audience recording, otherwise I would by it right now winking smiley
I already watched the Saitama 2006 show on YT. Don't really like the playing of keef and Ronnie. Not tight enough and a bit too rough IMHO.

Date: February 19, 2015 11:32

Here are some clips from different great DVDs:

Atlantic City 1989: - Broadcast

St. Louis 1997: - Official (is this track on the dvd, btw?)

Saitama 2006: - Broadcast

Tokyo 1990: - Broadcast

Barcelona 1990: - Broadcast

Miami 1994: - Official

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: February 19, 2015 12:35

Four Flicks - I especially enjoy the arena and theatre shows with great setlists.

From The Vault - L.A Forum - Live In 1975 - Brilliant show with lots of energy,
great delivery and thankfully Mick's not running around like a crazy madman like nowadys. It doesn't get much better than this imo.

From The Vault – Hampton Coliseum – Live In 1981 - This one is a must!!! Some might say the play too fast, but I love it.

Bridges to Babylon - I just adore Keith's posing on Wanna Hold You. Awesome!!!

Some Girls : Live in Texas ´78 - I never get tired of this spectacular show.

Posted by: FB ()
Date: February 19, 2015 12:40

Saitama from 2006 is one hell of a show. Amazing show and Great setlist toosmiling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 19, 2015 17:23

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
treaclefingers

He lists that and Hyde Park 2013 as two he owns from this period and lists his complaints, so I'm assuming he's seen them.

I would recommend Four Flicks, however. Maybe even Toronto 2005 if we get a proper DVD release soon...maybe as a bonus in the 15th deluxe edition of ABB in a few years... winking smiley

Damn you for noticing I didn't thoroughly read the post!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 19, 2015 18:25

StonedRambler

Then have also a look into the Stones Vault, especially for Glastonbury from 29-Jun-2013 (ZR-DVD-RST-13-06 or MfG-73). The source file for Glastonbury can be found here.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-19 18:45 by Irix.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 19, 2015 19:33

Hyde park 2013, the best one ever is ladies and gentelman .LA 75 also deserves mention

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 19, 2015 22:11

I used to play the Heck out of Four Flicks. I sure enjoyed it. I wonder if I watched it now if it would hold up.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 19, 2015 22:16

DandelionPowderman
H

St. Louis 1997: - Official (is this track on the dvd, btw?)

This excellent track is not on the DVD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-19 22:17 by ryanpow.

Date: February 19, 2015 22:17

TheGreek
Hyde park 2013, the best one ever is ladies and gentelman .LA 75 also deserves mention

You're right - except that he said he already owns Hyde Park, and is looking for something from 1990 or later.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 19, 2015 22:45

StonedRambler

I'm looking for something from the 'modern stones-era' (90s till now).

Bremen (Germany) 2-Sept-1998 would be another possibility then. It was a TV-broadcast throughout Europe. As a Pro-Shot it is available as Bootleg (e.g. in the StonesVault).

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: February 19, 2015 23:05

Agree with Bridges To Babylon DVD. Great show! Also if tou would like the more raw and unpolished Stones, The Some Girls live '78 is a treat!

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: February 20, 2015 00:29

@StonedRambler - In my opinion there is only one Rolling Stones film to recommend.

The Rolling Stones - Live In Texas

In my opinion, it is the single greatest Rolling Stones document in existence. Sound, setlist, performance, visuals, everything. This film NAILS it. All other Rolling Stones films are obliterated in 90 minutes.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: February 20, 2015 00:44

Official: Texas 78 (see above)
Unofficial: Atlantic City 89 (Keith's solos haven't been the same since, simply on fire).hot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-20 01:55 by shadooby.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: February 20, 2015 00:52

If you want a recent show Glastonbury is fantastic. One of the best performances of the recent tours. IMHO this is an official release quality bootleg.

[www.collectorsmusicreviews.com]

Date: February 20, 2015 01:53

treaclefingers
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
treaclefingers

Damn you for noticing I didn't thoroughly read the post!

Don't mention it, buddy! smiling smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1713
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home