Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Emotional Rescue Revisited...
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 20, 2011 03:06

As I have been slowly taking my time replacing my Stones vinyl album collection to CD (preferring to replace what I consider to be the essential stuff first Like Aftermath, Beggars through Exile, Some Girls),believe it or not- I finally got around to replacing my Emotional Rescue album to CD. I haven't really listened to this album in its entirety for many years, and I really dug it and appreciated it much more this time around! Besides Emotional Rescue, are there Stones albums that you have re-visited (that you may have put away for awhile) that you enjoyed listening to the second time around?

Re: Emotional Rescue Revisited...
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 20, 2011 03:50

Emotional Rescue is probably one of my most listened to albums..a great album.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 20, 2011 05:34

hmmm...I went the other way, replacing my CD's with original vinyls.

Lots of great, even still sealed albums that come up for a song on Ebay.

Oh, and Emotional Rescue is great...not their best album by a country mile, but it's the one that got me in to the stones.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 20, 2011 06:36

I like it, like it, yes I do. Next to last listenable Stones album.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 20, 2011 06:48

The album that made me a fan when I was nine years old and still a sentimental favorite.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 20, 2011 07:02

STELLAR album. Also one of the BEST SOUNDING Stones albums. Perfect sound mix. She's So Cold is one of my all time favorites for sound, melody, everything.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: May 20, 2011 07:15

Emotional Rescue was the first album that made me feel embarrassed to be a Rolling Stones fan. It was a stinking turd then, and smells no better today. The rockers are warmed over Some Girls. Very little of the rest measures up. The title track and Indian Girl stand out as being among the most cringe-worthy things they ever did.

It's no wonder Jagger didn't want to do much to promote it after its release beyond saying essentially, "it's out. Buy it." The worthy material on this album could have fit on a 12" single of Dance, i.e., both parts of Dance. You can have the rest of it.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 20, 2011 08:14

A great, unheralded classic -- at least as good as SG imo.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 20, 2011 08:34

It’s OK, but now I have transferred the few tracks I like onto my i-Pod, I honestly wouldn’t like to guess when it’ll next be in the CD player.

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: May 20, 2011 12:09

Sorry folks,I have to agree with AB.Shite with a capital S.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: May 20, 2011 12:20

It even makes Dirty Work sound great.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 20, 2011 12:27

The last classic Rolling Stones album with "Tattoo You" of course. I think the first twenty years are far better (till "Still Life) then after. The 80's 90's 00's Stones is also great but not that classic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-20 12:30 by 1962.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 20, 2011 13:11

It's got its moments but it's basically the sound of a band cornered (by punk and new wave) and desperately trying to forge a new identity in order to appeal to a younger audience. This is the point where they stopped being leaders but tried to hang on to the coat tails of a new music scene that effectively they inspired in the first place.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: May 20, 2011 13:16

Silver Dagger
It's got its moments but it's basically the sound of a band cornered (by punk and new wave) and desperately trying to forge a new identity in order to appeal to a younger audience. This is the point where they stopped being leaders but tried to hang on to the coat tails of a new music scene that effectively they inspired in the first place.

I'm not totally convinced that they were leaders from Goats Head Soup onwards to be honest...

Date: May 20, 2011 13:38

Dance, Down In The Hole and She's So Cold are some of the best tracks the Stones ever recorded.

The rest of the album is uneven, imo, although I like Summer Romance, Where The Boys Go, ER and All About You.

Indian Girl is still laughable, with Jagger's pantomime pt. 2 (after Faraway Eyes) and the mexican horns imo. Let Me Go is too slow and lacks a guitar track. Send It To Me is very well played, but a bit corny.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 20, 2011 13:40

Don't need to revisit it. Always loved it. Remembber the first keepers were Let me Go and send it to me!

Let's face it, the rolling stones are what they are thanks to the great singles of the Brian Jones era, to Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile, to Angie and Miss You.

If they had never recorded ER (or IORR, or Black and Blue), they would still be what they are.

But I wuold be missing some great great albums to party with!

C

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: May 20, 2011 15:08

ab
It was a stinking turd then, and smells no better today. The rockers are warmed over Some Girls. Very little of the rest measures up. The title track and Indian Girl stand out as being among the most cringe-worthy things they ever did.

Although I kinda like the title track for its camp value, I agree with the rest of your post wholeheartedly. ER always seemed to me like a "let's clean-out the leftover bin and get an album out while the market is hot" strategy.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: May 20, 2011 16:18

Definitely the Stones' most overrated album.

Date: May 20, 2011 16:20

ab
Emotional Rescue was the first album that made me feel embarrassed to be a Rolling Stones fan. It was a stinking turd then, and smells no better today. The rockers are warmed over Some Girls. Very little of the rest measures up. The title track and Indian Girl stand out as being among the most cringe-worthy things they ever did.

It's no wonder Jagger didn't want to do much to promote it after its release beyond saying essentially, "it's out. Buy it." The worthy material on this album could have fit on a 12" single of Dance, i.e., both parts of Dance. You can have the rest of it.

Would be interesting to know why you don´t appreciate Down In The Hole.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 20, 2011 17:37

I'd have to say that this album is clearly when the Stones took a turn for the worse in regards to lyrics, as far as I'm concerned.

Musically it is still solid - however I always compare the rock tunes to those on Some Girls, which hurts my likng of Emotional Rescue a lot -- Respectable, Lies, Whip Comes Down, Shattered, Before They Make Me Run are all far superior to tracks like Summer Rommance, Let Me Go, She's So Cold, Where The Boys Go. And if you call them both disco tracks, Miss You is also far superior to Emotional Rescue as well.

The one thing I like about it is I think this is Charlie at his best ever!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 20, 2011 17:43

I never liked the Emotional Rescue album.

Mick's vocal on the title track is plain silly.

The "rock" songs sounded like the guitar parts didn't have a lot of thought put into them. Charlie plays a four to the floor and it's a guitar chord thrash throughout.. it was like they kept doing the same song.

It felt like they thought they could just put anything out.

Maybe it was the Stones just trying to "be with it" because a lot of music was shallow around that time.

Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: May 20, 2011 17:44

LeonidP
I'd have to say that this album is clearly when the Stones took a turn for the worse in regards to lyrics, as far as I'm concerned.

Musically it is still solid - however I always compare the rock tunes to those on Some Girls, which hurts my likng of Emotional Rescue a lot -- Respectable, Lies, Whip Comes Down, Shattered, Before They Make Me Run are all far superior to tracks like Summer Rommance, Let Me Go, She's So Cold, Where The Boys Go. And if you call them both disco tracks, Miss You is also far superior to Emotional Rescue as well.

The one thing I like about it is I think this is Charlie at his best ever!

I'm afraid I think it's the beginning of Charlie's decline.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 20, 2011 17:47

Forgetting, great cover, and great poster!

C

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 20, 2011 23:46

Jagger was into disco at the time. The titletrack was true to the period (the end of the disco-era) and was a minor hit (#3 on Billboard Hot 100). "The album gave the Rolling Stones their first UK #1 album since 1973's Goats Head Soup and spent seven weeks atop the US charts", according to Wikipedia. The rest of the album didn't hold up very well: not in 1980 and certainly not now. Tattoo You, which came out the following year was the album that was gonna save their careers for a very long time... .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-20 23:48 by Stoneage.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 21, 2011 00:29

Stoneage
Jagger was into disco at the time. The titletrack was true to the period (the end of the disco-era) and was a minor hit (#3 on Billboard Hot 100). "The album gave the Rolling Stones their first UK #1 album since 1973's Goats Head Soup and spent seven weeks atop the US charts", according to Wikipedia. The rest of the album didn't hold up very well: not in 1980 and certainly not now. Tattoo You, which came out the following year was the album that was gonna save their careers for a very long time... .

I don't think #3 on Billboard spells a minor hit. What did JJF do on billboard, it wasn't number 1? You may not like the song, but #3 position is not minor.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 21, 2011 00:40

Agree, TF. But I don't know for how many weeks it stayed on that position. The titletrack was the only hit on that album though, and the only song with some contemporary feel to it (back in 1980).

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: May 21, 2011 00:53

songs like down in the hole and all about you are @#$%& amazing!
the album has a great mixture of styles. i love it and i listen to it alot more than tattoo you.
it's in my top ten for shure. but tell me one thing: WHY do you buy cds when you have it on vinyl????

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 21, 2011 01:14

Rocky Dijon
The album that made me a fan when I was nine years old

I was 9 too and for me it was the thermographic vid that scared me and started my love story with the band. Strange huh?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 21, 2011 01:30

I think the band got a whole new, younger group of fans around the time of Some Girls. And it seems the younger one like the album ER, and even like Undercover. I think older fans tend to see it as a bit flat. ER and She's So Cold are primo, but the others lack the magic long time fans were used to. Personally I like Indian Girl. I think it has a Tex Mex feel. There's some slinky slide work And the lyrics are the first to explore the dirty wars going on in South America, that would be further expanded on Undercover. It addes some depth to essentially a throwaway summer album.

Rule number one,
that you learn when you're young...........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-21 01:47 by 24FPS.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: May 21, 2011 01:43

I've liked this album since it was released. Lots of good songs in it. And nevertheless Indian Girl is the weakest it is still quite mellow song to end the first side. Down In The Hole is great and She's So Cold too. Great album especially when you listen to it in a car.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1474
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home