Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

A great Sympathy for the Devil from 1975
Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: May 20, 2011 01:07

I love this version from Los Angeles, July 13, 1975 - can't stop playing it, it's a wonderful rhythm orgy, so I uploaded it on Youtube:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-20 02:19 by Ringo.

Re: A great Sympathy for the Devil from 1975
Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 20, 2011 01:24

Yeah, I always liked that version too!
Especially the intro/ first part . .

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: May 20, 2011 02:52

thanks for posting. Some cool pix I havent seen before

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: May 20, 2011 12:03

great version !

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: May 20, 2011 12:11

the synthetized 'wiiizz' sound at the end is unique

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 20, 2011 14:01

This doesn't sound all that different from the Love You Live version recorded the following year. It certainly sounds nothing like 1969. All the power and menace has been stripped away. Here it just sounds like a bunch of people having a party.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 20, 2011 14:05

the first quick solos must be from Ronnie...and then Keith takes over...

This is a very nice version...

2 1 2 0

Date: May 20, 2011 14:17

Great version for sure.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: May 20, 2011 15:33

Yes, for sure. Another great version is the NY from that year with two basses, actually (but not available in the best quality)

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 20, 2011 16:26

tatters
This doesn't sound all that different from the Love You Live version recorded the following year. It certainly sounds nothing like 1969. All the power and menace has been stripped away. Here it just sounds like a bunch of people having a party.

The LYL version is from LA July 9 1975, four days before this version so that's why they are alike.

Mathijs

Date: May 20, 2011 16:39

Mathijs
tatters

The LYL version is from LA July 9 1975, four days before this version so that's why they are alike.

Mathijs

Really? I thought LYL was recorded in Paris in 1976. That's what it says on the LP cover at any rate ....

Date: May 20, 2011 16:42

tatters
Mathijs
tatters

Mathijs

Really? I thought LYL was recorded in Paris in 1976. That's what it says on the LP cover at any rate ....

Some songs are from 1975, even though the LP cover says otherwise:

SFTD (LA 75)
Fingerprint File (Toronto)
IORR (?)

Just from the top of my head.

Date: May 20, 2011 16:44

DandelionPowderman
tatters
Mathijs
tatters

Mathijs

SFTD (LA 75)
IORR (?)

Just looked it up on wiki. It gives the date and city for every track. Never knew some of it was from '75. Learn something new every day, I guess ....

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 20, 2011 17:51

what makes the 75 version the best version ever on my book, is mainly Ollie Browns contribution. everybody is loose as hell, yet the backbone is solid and grooves like a bitch. Unsurpassed.

C

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 20, 2011 18:02

DandelionPowderman
tatters
Mathijs
tatters

Mathijs

SFTD (LA 75)
IORR (?)

The reason they didn't mention it on the LP cover, is that they weren't allowed to release live recordings of songs from the DECCA catalogue, before 1976.
In other words; "Sympathy For The Devil" on LYL should have resulted in a law-suit, if correct details were mentioned on the artwork.

On the "original tracklisting" of the album, there were some more 1975 performances which were planned to be included.....from San Francisco 1975.

Sympathy For The Devil was really hot in 1975......impossible to compare it with the 1969 live versions though - it's a different song. But to me; SFTD as performed in late November 1969 are the absolute best versions

Date: May 20, 2011 18:39

Awesome! Thanks for posting this. Fantastic pics Ringo.

At 8:25, Keith looks super fired up to be talking to Bianca. Wow, put a caption on that one!

TD75

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 20, 2011 19:59

Ringo
I love this version from Los Angeles, July 13, 1975 - can't stop playing it, it's a wonderful rhythm orgy, so I uploaded it on Youtube:

Many thanks for posting it .
Is it just me or does it sound a bit "messy " ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: May 20, 2011 20:00

SwayStones
Ringo

Many thanks for posting it .
Is it just me or does it sound a bit "messy " ?

It just you.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 20, 2011 20:05

Erik_Snow
It just you.

It is just you or It's just you cool smiley

Date: May 20, 2011 20:22

SwayStones
Erik_Snow
It just you.
It are just you or It are just you cool smiley

Big point! If I were in kindergarden, I'd blush. Keyboard failure over here. Of course I know about the "is"-thingy. Point is that is that's the "free style" that makes this SFTD exceptional; and that "messiness" is not messy at all - just a great, loose version. The 2 drummers are the main reason somebody might find it "messy", I'd think

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-21 10:33 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: May 20, 2011 22:11

Erik_Snow
But to me; SFTD as performed in late November 1969 are the absolute best versions
thumbs up

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 20, 2011 23:27

<Is it just me or does it sound a bit "messy ">

Imo this is no band, but 5 musicians desperately trying to keep up the stamina.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-20 23:30 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: May 20, 2011 23:37

TropicalDisease75
Awesome! Thanks for posting this. Fantastic pics Ringo.

At 8:25, Keith looks super fired up to be talking to Bianca. Wow, put a caption on that one!

TD75

Thanks, TropicalDisease75! Keith's actually talking to the German model and actress Uschi Obermaier. From Wikipedia:

"Rainer Langhans mentions in his autobiography that he and Obermaier (...) in late March 1970 (...) wished to organize a "Bavarian (South-German) Woodstock", and wanted Jimi Hendrix and the Rolling Stones as leading acts".

"Obermaier went on the Rolling Stones' 1975 tour and is said to have had affairs with both Keith Richards and Mick Jagger",

"Today, she lives in Topanga Canyon near Los Angeles, working as a jewellery designer."

Here are some pics of her with Mick and Keith.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 21, 2011 00:31

This is the best version. Better than the studioversion, even better than the very well played Altamont version. I love this one. It is on my live top five.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1923
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home