Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Copying audio cd's for the car
Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: May 17, 2011 09:02

I would like to have a copy of my audio cd's so I don't have to keep moving them between the house and the car. I have a 2004 Saab 9.5. I have copied the cd with Windows 7 software, as an audio cd but they do not play on the car cd player. I am using Verbatim cd-r disks. WITHOUT DEBATING THE LEGITIMACY OF COPYING CD's (that I already own), could I please have some advice as to how to burn the cd's so they will play on my car cd player? What format should be used? What speed? Anything else?

Re: OT: Copying audio cd's for the car
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 17, 2011 10:55

First I would check the manual of your car stereo. It is quite possible that it doesn't play CDR's.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: May 17, 2011 13:19

You want to create an audio CD. Quite possibly windows has created a data cd that you can't play in your car stereo.
Maybe this helps.
[kb.iu.edu]
Otherwise google some more.
Or pay money for a tool like Nero burning software.

Date: May 17, 2011 13:33

I've got Nero Kwik Media. I am using 80 min 700 MB CD-R's. But do not know which speed or settings to use. I think to slow it down, and use FLAC but am not sure.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: May 17, 2011 13:38

Check what format can read your car Cd player. If it's from 2004 I think it can read only CD format (ie not mp3 or FLAC). So when you copy your be sure to check Windows keep it in WAV. Burning speed has no incidence as far I can tell.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: May 17, 2011 14:19

This has happened to me ,as a previous post stated,make sure you are burning a audio" cd NOT a "data".For me the data will play in home not in car...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 17, 2011 15:30

detroitken
This has happened to me ,as a previous post stated,make sure you are burning a audio" cd NOT a "data".For me the data will play in home not in car...

Yep, the same happened to me. Got to make a 'audio'-burning on some Car-stereos...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: melvin ()
Date: May 17, 2011 15:58

Simple solution is to buy an ipod, upload music to itunes, then download music to youripod and skip all the CD

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 17, 2011 16:16

melvin
Simple solution is to buy an ipod, upload music to itunes, then download music to youripod and skip all the CD

I resisted doing this for years, but glad I did (although I went with a ZUNE rather than iPod).

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 17, 2011 16:19

One other thing to consider.

CDRs can be a bit flaky, some better than others, and it may just come down to certain brands playing in your car's CD player and others not. MAM-A (Mitsui) seems to make the highest quality product.

Some car players are nothing more than cheap PC disc readers, and we all know how tempermental some of those are.

The other thing I found out in my own experience with my car's CD player, it'll play most of the 74 minute CDRs, but the 80 minute ones it's much more pickier on.

Good luck.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 17, 2011 16:22

.........put wheels under ya ipod....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 17, 2011 16:23

Get a Mac.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 17, 2011 16:59

Amsterdamned
Get a Mac.

Didn't know MAC made cars?!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 17, 2011 18:01

treaclefingers
Amsterdamned
Get a Mac.

Yup
The Apple Fritter.
Gets 200 MPG and is very consistent, but only goes 5 MPH and the worst thing about it....NO WINDOWS!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 17, 2011 19:55

Try a different brand of blank CDs.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 17, 2011 20:26

treaclefingers
Amsterdamned
Get a Mac.

If you can afford a Saab 9.5. 2004 you can afford a Mac imo.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 18, 2011 06:41

Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Amsterdamned
Get a Mac.

Yup
The Apple Fritter.
Gets 200 MPG and is very consistent, but only goes 5 MPH and the worst thing about it....NO WINDOWS!

NICE!

Date: May 18, 2011 09:41

Amsterdamned
treaclefingers
Amsterdamned
Get a Mac.

If you can afford a Saab 9.5. 2004 you can afford a Mac imo.

This seems like an odd comment - I don't consider my car to be anything luxurious! I live in France, where the distances are large and there is a need for a safe car. Although it has very low km, it is still 7 years old. I do love it though. I have never felt I could justify the cost of a MAC, because my computer use is just recreational.

I am certainly burning audio cd's, not data. These are my choices: FLAC, Nero AAC, or MP3 on Nero.

I have also found another free program which is supposed to be the Rolls Royce for cd extraction, EAC - Exact Audio Copy. [www.exactaudiocopy.de] However, this program looks like it's beyond my present ability. It's for extracting only, not burning.

More input welcome.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 18, 2011 11:35

I know I will get laughed at for this, but I rip/burn new audio CDs with Windows Media Player and have never had any problems playing them on anything.

Date: May 18, 2011 11:35

Bliss
These are my choices: FLAC, Nero AAC, or MP3 on Nero.

None of these 3 formats are regular audio CD's. That's probably the reason they don't play on your car's CD player. As kowalski posted, regular audio CD is WAV.

-------------------

Date: May 18, 2011 11:37

Green Lady
I know I will get laughed at for this, but I rip/burn new audio CDs with Windows Media Player and have never had any problems playing them on anything.

I will certainly not laugh at you for this. It is a very simple and easy solution if you don't need any "extra's"

-------------------

Date: May 18, 2011 11:55

Yes, Hans I know, and I have just made the same choice as Green Lady. They are saying cars will not even be equipped with CD players after 2016.

Date: May 18, 2011 14:36

Success! I used the WMP on the WAV setting, and after much reading in audio forums, I was led to do the burn on the slowest possible setting. The results seem indistinguishable from the original audio cd.

Thanks for all help.

Posted by: neylon79 ()
Date: May 18, 2011 18:10

It seems your problem then was the using of flac, mp3, AAC and not WAV. I would suggest that you can burn it on the fastest speed with no issues. It will save you some time and there will be no difference in quality.

Matt

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 18, 2011 19:36

Bliss
Success! I used the WMP on the WAV setting, and after much reading in audio forums, I was led to do the burn on the slowest possible setting. The results seem indistinguishable from the original audio cd.

Thanks for all help.
in other words.... what Rolling Hansie said....so...
Rolling Hansie WINS.... AGAIN!!!!!! HUP HUP HANSIE!!!!

Date: May 18, 2011 21:58

Bliss
Success!

Alright smileys with beer Cheers

-------------------

Date: May 18, 2011 22:00

Max'sKansasCity
in other words.... what Rolling Hansie said

LOL Max smileys with beer Cheers to you too. But the suggestions came from several others

-------------------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1822
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home