Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Mick Taylor in Kansas City MO
Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: December 26, 2013 19:45

Hey folks,

can someone tell me about the reasons they did that?

How did it happen ?

I always read that Mick T. was playing a large part of the show, but especially this tour had such a long setlist and (opposite of what we had 2012/13 yet)
lot of it completely new material.

So anybody knows more about this? Did they rehearse before?

I´m looking forward to your answers!! Merry Xmas everybody!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-27 10:23 by bv.

Re: Mick Taylor in Hampton ´81
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 26, 2013 19:48

You mean Bobby? If Taylor was at Hampton, it was the Hampton Inn down the street...

Posted by: tklawson ()
Date: December 26, 2013 19:49

I think you mean Kansas City.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: December 26, 2013 21:18

Mick T plays in Kansas City for a substantial portion of the show -- I have a boot entitled "Mick Taylor We Love You and We'll Always Do" (sic).

You really can't hear him at all on the boot, but he was there for a good portion of the show.

I recall Mick J at one points refers to the "guitar onslaught." I'm sure there are threads around here that someone can find.

T@3

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 26, 2013 21:37

TeaAtThree
Mick T plays in Kansas City for a substantial portion of the show -- I have a boot entitled "Mick Taylor We Love You and We'll Always Do" (sic).

You really can't hear him at all on the boot, but he was there for a good portion of the show.

I recall Mick J at one points refers to the "guitar onslaught." I'm sure there are threads around here that someone can find.

T@3
never mind the bootleg. get a hold of the soundboard and that is where the magic of mick taylor is wow wow wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: December 26, 2013 21:49

TheGreek
TeaAtThree

T@3
never mind the bootleg. get a hold of the soundboard and that is where the magic of mick taylor is wow wow wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, and according to Ronnie, Keith was so pissed off with Taylor, he had to be restrained. Most likely one of Ronnie's bullshit stories, but who knows? I still say that it is Keith that wants to limit Mick T's involvement in the current setup, and not Jagger as everyone assumes.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: December 26, 2013 22:11

strat72
I still say that it is Keith that wants to limit Mick T's involvement in the current setup, and not Jagger as everyone assumes.

What makes you think that? smiling smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 27, 2013 00:44

Taylor was on tour with The Alvin Lee Band at the time, and they happened to have a night off.

They'd played KC two nights before the Stones gig (12th December) although it seems they were in Little Rock, Arkansas the day before (13th). Their gig on the 15th was in Granite City, Illinois. (nzentgraf.de)

Date: December 27, 2013 01:20

TeaAtThree

T@3

It's not true that you can't hear him. He is very dominant on Black Limo, Imagination, Beast Of Burden, TD and others.

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: December 27, 2013 01:26

THANK YOU FOLKS!!!! HERE´S THE SOUNDBOARD VERSION

I LIKE IT A LOT!!!!!

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: December 27, 2013 02:16

I probably have not spent enough time on this recording. My patience lapses while I try to shift out what Taylor is playing. But the BoB performance interests me. It is from 48:46 to 55:40. It gets interesting around 51 - 52:00. Can the expert ears here tell who plays the solos around 51:00? Thereafter Taylor starts a rhythm ditty that stops Jagger in his tracks. His stage awareness is amazing. He starts to say something, hears Taylor's little variation on the theme and says go ahead. In the next minute or so the song gets funky while the guitars play around Taylor's little variations. It's the high point of interest for me in this show.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 27, 2013 07:57

Thanks for the board mix..RawIguanaCologne. This is the most enjoyable listen I've had in a while. Guitars running the show, guitars left, right and center.
Never too courteous, loud and reaching to re-invent genius at every turn. That's what the great Rolling Stone, Mick Taylor brings to the stage.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-27 08:27 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 27, 2013 08:28

LuxuryStones
strat72
I still say that it is Keith that wants to limit Mick T's involvement in the current setup, and not Jagger as everyone assumes.

I can only assume he thinks the reason is because it will really outshine Keith and we can't have that. I still think its gotta be Jagger, as Keith just seems like he loves it when Taylor is up there. A good amount of people already know how great Taylor is, and its not like new fans are really gonna be blown away enough that they'll say Keith sucks.

Also, if the soundboard features a lot of Taylor, or if there is a version that is very Taylor dominant, is there a download link for people. I'd love to hear the show if there's one that really highlights Taylor.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: December 27, 2013 09:22

RollingFreak
LuxuryStones
strat72

I can only assume he thinks the reason is because it will really outshine Keith and we can't have that. I still think its gotta be Jagger, as Keith just seems like he loves it when Taylor is up there. A good amount of people already know how great Taylor is, and its not like new fans are really gonna be blown away enough that they'll say Keith sucks.

Also, if the soundboard features a lot of Taylor, or if there is a version that is very Taylor dominant, is there a download link for people. I'd love to hear the show if there's one that really highlights Taylor.

No, I do not think Keith would be in anyway jealous, why should he be? Taylor is a completely different type of player. Taylor is loved by most Stones fans, but we all know that he was the cherry on the cake. Keith is the riffmaster, he is the iconic player, not Mick T, as much as I love him.

I just think that Keith prefers the sound that he makes with Ronnie. Ronnie is a much more sympathetic player when he plays with the Stones. He weaves with Keith, in fact at times in the past I have found it hard to hear what Ronnie is playing at all! If you listen to Taylor, his sound is up front, loud and prominant. He is more of a lead player (Although I happen to think he is also a great, and imaginative rhythm player) and Keith just prefers Ronnie. I love Ronnie, but Keith is way wrong.

If they really worked at it, I think the three of them could come up with something special, I don't think it will happen though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-27 09:30 by strat72.

Date: December 27, 2013 09:47

<If they really worked at it, I think the three of them could come up with something special, I don't think it will happen though.>

They did come up with something special on CYHMK and MR.

They would have to work on it a lot, to make a longer part of the show work like this. That's what I think won't happen.

Date: December 27, 2013 09:50

RawIguanaCologne
THANK YOU FOLKS!!!! HERE´S THE SOUNDBOARD VERSION

I LIKE IT A LOT!!!!!

Isn't this the same VG Audience boot we already have? I better check when I get home.

It's a good show anyway thumbs up

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 27, 2013 11:40

strat72
TheGreek
TeaAtThree

T@3

Yeah, and according to Ronnie, Keith was so pissed off with Taylor, he had to be restrained. Most likely one of Ronnie's bullshit stories, but who knows? I still say that it is Keith that wants to limit Mick T's involvement in the current setup, and not Jagger as everyone assumes.

Bill Wyman, Ian MacLagan and Wood all have told the same story -Taylor was way too loud on stage, overpowering just about everything. During the show you can hear Taylor's amp feedbacking several times, and Jagger does seem anoyed by it at times.

Mathijs

Re: Mick Taylor in Kansas City MO
Date: December 27, 2013 11:48

It feedbacks a lot during Black Limo, among others.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: December 27, 2013 12:38

In those days I stayed at the motel in Kansas. Of course, Alvin Lee and Taylor didn't stay there, though.smiling smiley
I found out a letter paper of the motel that had been inserted between the 1981 tour program.
I was writing a set list and pay per view schedule on the back of this paper.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: December 27, 2013 12:59

Remembering it was mostly Keith playing ALL the guitars in 1969, and most 1970 on the Albums, right? I like Mick Taylor too, BUT four years? ......

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: December 27, 2013 18:23

I was there - fun show- but not as focused or intense due to the weaving of three guitars - taylor did feedback - and did NOT have his signature sustaining tone - I think it was a very loud but mostly clean Boogie he was blowing thru. Taylor did play with Alvin Lee at the Uptown theatre in KC a couple of nights before

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: December 27, 2013 18:33

I think Taylor and Keith worked together the best during the 69 tour..
After that Taylor took more of the lead role...

I love the 69 tour..haha.

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: December 27, 2013 18:42

I was there as was Dr.Pete! Cold night great show! I followed the band back to the Westin Crown Center hotel!

Posted by: OutOfTime ()
Date: December 27, 2013 20:25

ohcarol
I was there as was Dr.Pete! Cold night great show! I followed the band back to the Westin Crown Center hotel!
Wow! Great ohcarol!! Do you remember how long Mick Taylor was on stage? I listened some of the soundboard recording today and heard a MT solo on Black Limousine. Also there is a picture of Keith, MT and MJagger (jumping wide legged in front of MT) with all the balloons on the floor indicating MT was on Satisfaction (the last song of the show also in 1981)
This show is the missing link between The Mick Taylor Years (69-74) and the 50 and Counting Tour !!!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 27, 2013 20:28

pmk251
In the next minute or so the song gets funky while the guitars play around Taylor's little variations. It's the high point of interest for me in this show.

I agree . Its not his usual style, yet it still sounds like Taylor. Its interesting and cool.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-27 20:29 by ryanpow.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 27, 2013 20:56

pmk251
I probably have not spent enough time on this recording. My patience lapses while I try to shift out what Taylor is playing. But the BoB performance interests me. It is from 48:46 to 55:40. It gets interesting around 51 - 52:00. Can the expert ears here tell who plays the solos around 51:00? Thereafter Taylor starts a rhythm ditty that stops Jagger in his tracks. His stage awareness is amazing. He starts to say something, hears Taylor's little variation on the theme and says go ahead. In the next minute or so the song gets funky while the guitars play around Taylor's little variations. It's the high point of interest for me in this show.

Sounds like Taylor to my ears. Too fluent for Ronnie and certainly for Keith.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 27, 2013 21:14

There's a whole lotta weaving going on there.

The jittery drumming style that overtook Charlie is in full jittery un-flow by this time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-27 21:25 by His Majesty.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: December 27, 2013 22:54

kleermaker
pmk251

Sounds like Taylor to my ears. Too fluent for Ronnie and certainly for Keith.

Sounds like Taylor to me too. I ask because I am surprised that 1) he was allowed to get that solo in; and 2) that it fits so nicely on a song he has never played before. Remarkable.

I have a daydream question that I ponder: Would there have been a Some Girls album with Taylor? From this performance of BoB I would say yes. Just different and interesting.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 27, 2013 23:07

Everything would be different had he not left.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: December 27, 2013 23:43

Yes. They would have disbanded without Ronnie.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1938
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home