Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: OT:Most Overrated Guitarists
Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: May 17, 2011 03:24

Elmo Lewis
Buddy Guy - Very fast, not much emotion

Elmo ducks for cover
Your insane! Last CD was fantastic.

Posted by: PhilipRBowl ()
Date: May 17, 2011 03:45

Single Malt
Eric Clapton. His solo works are quite boring. He was better when he was in the Bluesbreakers, Cream and Blind Faith. I admit that I haven't that much listened to his albums. There might be some hidden gems that main stream radio stations never play.

+1

Couldnt have said it better myself

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 17, 2011 03:47

mickscarey
Hendrix, easy one

Your nuts. He is one of the best if not the best in rock.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 17, 2011 03:59

I might put Keith Richards on this list but he has never been considered an elite guitarist. More of riff king.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: May 17, 2011 04:03

For the last ten + years,Keith Richards..

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Date: May 17, 2011 04:04

Dig the topic.

1. Eric Clapton - Long on technique and short on passion. Hasn't recorded anything close to exceptional since 1970. And even his supposed solo classics (461 Ocean Blvd, Slowhand, From The Cradle) are wildly overrated. Seems to be more interested in fashion than living up to his considerable talent. Plastic blues and soul. When was the last time you listened to an entire Clapton album? And enjoyed it?

2. The Edge - Good lord, he might be the single most boring guitar player in history. Has anyone ever relied more on effects and less on ability than this supposed guitar legend? Without the studio fairydust and the multitude of effects he's not left with much. U2....ugh.

3. Joe Satriani/Steve Vai - Might as well be the same person as far as I'm concerned. Mindless and soulless. For me, it's about what's not played as well as the notes played. Somebody never told these guys that. Not to mention the fact that they forgot music is also about composition, not just a flury of notes played as fast as possible. Musical masterbation.

4. Tom Morello

5. Kirk Hammet

TD75

Date: May 17, 2011 08:34

kirk hammett and jimmy page for sure

i don't think steve vai, joe satriani or tom morello are overrated. at the time they all did something that was pretty new and innovative plus joe satriani is a great teacher.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-17 08:35 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 17, 2011 08:39

1. Eric Clapton - Long on technique and short on passion. Hasn't recorded anything close to exceptional since 1970. And even his supposed solo classics (461 Ocean Blvd, Slowhand, From The Cradle) are wildly overrated. Seems to be more interested in fashion than living up to his considerable talent. Plastic blues and soul. When was the last time you listened to an entire Clapton album? And enjoyed it?

I went through my 25 Clapton-albums just a couple a weeks ago...and for the guitar-playing from EC: Pure solid!

2 1 2 0

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 17, 2011 12:40

Kirk Hammett?

Certainly not. He co-wrote Metallica's best songs (the Hetfield/Ulrich-only tunes are often far too one-dimensional imo) he's a virtuoso (but not in bad way à la Satriani) and lKH's nowadays the only reason you'd be temped to buy a ticket for a Met show : Ulrich's drumming sucks and Hetfield's voice is badly shot.

Date: May 17, 2011 13:20

dcba
Kirk Hammett?

Certainly not. He co-wrote Metallica's best songs (the Hetfield/Ulrich-only tunes are often far too one-dimensional imo) he's a virtuoso (but not in bad way à la Satriani) and lKH's nowadays the only reason you'd be temped to buy a ticket for a Met show : Ulrich's drumming sucks and Hetfield's voice is badly shot.

kirk is pretty bad. he over uses the wah wah pedal, on the first 2 albums he simply copied dave mustaines style, finally joe satriani was his guitar teacher

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: May 17, 2011 14:44

Jeff Beck
Richie Blackmore
The Edge
and the Stones riff player.............er................Blondie Chaplin grinning smiley

sc uk

Posted by: folke ()
Date: May 17, 2011 15:27

Ron Wood. What has he done for the Stones guitar wise? Name one interesting solo. I liked him in The Faces though.

Date: May 17, 2011 15:28

Are you really intressted in Guitar-solos being a Stones-fan?

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 17, 2011 15:32

Wood with the Stones, Slash, Santana.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-17 15:38 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: May 17, 2011 15:35

Overrated as a solo player, or how they contributed to a band's structure and success?

As solo players, neither Ronnie, Blondie, Keith nor Brian is very good. Angus Young does what he does well, but how technically good is he?

I'm not sure any are over-rated. None of the Stones were ever really 'guitar gods'. Taylor could have been, but that is not his style.

Overrated guys, to me, are just that. Spoken of with awe or reverence and put on a pedestal....when they are not all that great or inspiring...pretty pedestrian. I think Slash belongs there. Lindsey Buckingham gets lot of props, but I was never really sure why. Robbie Robertson is a great songwriter, but more of a player that works within his band. I'm never sure when I see U2 live how much is The Edge and how much is sample, so I would add him to the list.

Posted by: folke ()
Date: May 17, 2011 15:43

I don't know what makes a guitar player overrated. I like solos in the style of the studio versions of "Sympathy for the devil" and "Gimme shelter" for example. They are simple and easy to copy, but that's not the point. They are just brilliant.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: May 17, 2011 15:49

Slash - I love GN'R and VR, but I think Slash is very overrated. Izzy was the backbone of GN'R.

Clapton - I respect his work. It just does't do anything for me.

EVH - Same as Clapton.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 17, 2011 16:05

There is a thin line between naming an overrated player and a player one just don't gets/digs. I have that for instance with Pete Townshend and Jeff Beck, never liked their playing. But they have influenced so many, that even though I don't care much about them I wouldn't consider them to be overrated.

The Edge is technically not that great, but he found a way to incorporate his playing style with technology, making him *very* recognizable and effective (no pun), and nobody comes even close to him. To me as a guitarist that is very impressive, even though it is not necessarily my style.

And I am really drawing a blank now on naming a guitarist that can be considered overrated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-17 16:07 by Koen.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: May 17, 2011 16:23

black n blue
Elmo Lewis

Elmo ducks for cover

At least he´s one of the most over-aged guitarists...

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 17, 2011 17:09

Carlos Santana

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 17, 2011 18:10

Koen
And I am really drawing a blank now on naming a guitarist that can be considered overrated.

you are just realizing that, as i've suggested, everyone is rated with precision and care. no need to make any adjustments.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: May 17, 2011 19:26

Slash is popular sure, but was he really ever highly rated as a guitarist? He's adequate but, as someone else here aptly described, pedestrian.

For those of you who said The Edge: try to he'p me understand. We all know that he's not a Yngwie Malmsteen-type player who dazzles with his technique. He's an emotional musician, he's going to hit you in the heart, preferably with a minimum number of notes and avoiding the major third like the plague. When you listen to the solos in "Even Better than the Real Thing" "New Year's Day" "Until the End of the World" (please listen to that last one, from Achtung, Baby), don't you hear what he's trying to do? I think he plays beautifully, always has.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 17, 2011 20:27

buffalo7478

As solo players, neither Ronnie, Blondie, Keith nor Brian is very good. (quote)

Is there some weird idea here among some people that solos on slide guitar are not solos? Or are somehow not as valuable or technically on the level of 'real' solos? Brian's electric slide solo on 'I Wanna Be Your Man' was groundbreaking. I've never heard a more expressive player on slide. I guess Duane Allman should have thrown away his coricidin bottle. And Ron Wood's slide playing on 'Rough Justice' was pretty damn good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-17 20:28 by 24FPS.

Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: May 17, 2011 20:51

Claire_M
Slash is popular sure, but was he really ever highly rated as a guitarist? He's adequate but, as someone else here aptly described, pedestrian.

For those of you who said The Edge: try to he'p me understand. We all know that he's not a Yngwie Malmsteen-type player who dazzles with his technique. He's an emotional musician, he's going to hit you in the heart, preferably with a minimum number of notes and avoiding the major third like the plague. When you listen to the solos in "Even Better than the Real Thing" "New Year's Day" "Until the End of the World" (please listen to that last one, from Achtung, Baby), don't you hear what he's trying to do? I think he plays beautifully, always has.

He was by Pete Townshend, who called him "a quantum genius" in the music press after hearing (I think) Paradise City.

Posted by: krkhamster ()
Date: May 17, 2011 21:13

Eric Clapton
Zakk Wylde
Ace Frehley
Pete Townshend
Gary Moore
Yngwie Malmsteen

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 17, 2011 21:37

Svartmer
black n blue
Elmo Lewis

Elmo ducks for cover

At least he´s one of the most over-aged guitarists...

Last CD was fantastically fast, with little emotion. Sorry I left out his middle name (according to Mick on "Shine A Light"). drinking smiley

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 17, 2011 21:39

I've never understood why Rolling Stone puts Kurt Cobain on their Guitar-God lists all the time!

I can see how offing oneself makes for sexy marketing, etc, but what has it to do with guir=tar technique? Nothing to me...

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 17, 2011 21:44

jamesfdouglas
but what has it to do with guir=tar technique?

Technique is only a small part of the qualities of a good musician.

Date: May 17, 2011 21:52

This thread is obviously more about tired and boring guitarists then overrated ones...Thanks God No One has picked up Johnny Ramone yet...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 17, 2011 21:52

The Sicilian
mickscarey
Hendrix, easy one

Your nuts. He is one of the best if not the best in rock.

Agreed. Hendrix died cause God wanted guitar lessons.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1807
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home