Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Has the Greatest Rock n Roll Band in the World Torch been passed by the Stones?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 9, 2015 18:01

After watching the two song performance by AC/DC at the Grammys Sunday, I had a moment to ponder. Did I just witness music history with the Greatest Rock n Roll Band in the World torch being passed from the Stones to AC/DC? Or do you all think maybe it was passed to someone else years before? Or, does it still belong to the Stones.

The Stones have suffered from no new "albums," stale setlists, weak guitar sound, too much choreography. Quite possibly just plain old age may have caught up with the Stones. That performance by a band that had not played live in four years was top shelf. If you look at it without any bias, it is hard to come to any other conclusion. Even more impressive, these guys are not young men either. Most are in their 60's. How much will their tickets be coveted by European fans this summer?

Chris Slade 68
Brian Johnson 67
Cliff Williams 65
Malcolm Young 62
Angus Young 59
Steve Young 58

Re: Has the Greatest Rock n Roll Band in the World Torch been passed by the Stones?
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 9, 2015 18:41

I always thought it was snatched by The Clash in 1979 when they brought out London Calling.

The Stones would never pass that torch to any other group.

Re: Has the Greatest Rock n Roll Band in the World Torch been passed by the Stones?
Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 9, 2015 18:46

I think Bill Wyman still has the torch!!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 9, 2015 18:48

No, I don't think the torch has ever been passed. And I'm a huge AC/DC fan, but they are not the next greatest Rock and roll band in the world. Maybe they were, but they aren't like the Stones where they have this legacy. They haven't made a good album since the early 80s, even though their newest is great. They were great for about 10 years. The Stones carried that for at least double that amount of time. AC/DC are just another great band from the 70s that are luckily still kicking around today. But they didn't take the torch as greatest rock and roll band, and I don't know if anyone has.

Honestly, the only ones close, and its only cause I remember them saying this about themselves, is U2. But I'm open to other suggests.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 9, 2015 18:54

Kids today don't seem to be into rock and roll. So I don't know if there will be any torch left to pass on in a decade or so. Maybe U2 will be the last rock and roll dinosaur out there. Or the Foo Fighters maybe?

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: February 9, 2015 19:10

Silver Dagger
I always thought it was snatched by The Clash in 1979 when they brought out London Calling.

by the Spiders from Mars in 1972 with Ziggy Stardust!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 9, 2015 19:23

<<Bill Wyman still has the torch!!>>

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: February 9, 2015 19:31

Silver Dagger

The Stones would never pass that torch to any other group.

+1

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 9, 2015 19:39

I think in today's day and age it's a pretty meaningless title, to be honest.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: February 9, 2015 19:46

I think Bruce took over at the end of the seventies. But he never recovered from the comeback the Stones made grinning smiley

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: February 9, 2015 19:51

71Tele
I think in today's day and age it's a pretty meaningless title, to be honest.

I agree and maybe hasn't meant that much since Tattoo You, give or take a few years.

In a way, "R 'n' R revival" was a bit of a fad. Mind you, I think it was a good fad and good to be faithful to the roots.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: February 9, 2015 20:25

I think the "stale Setlists" thing is genuinely over said. The fact is you go and see %95 of bands on tour and they play almost if not exactly the same show every night with the same setlist. There are not many exceptions to this rule. AC/DC are one of the most conservative bands around in playing the same setlist time and again. The Stones do still vary things from night to night in the first half of the show and it's only because they have so many songs that the more keen fans such as ourselves are inevitably disappointed on occasion. No, for me The Rolling Stones are still the greatest rock n roll band in the world if not a vital one as they once were.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: February 9, 2015 21:00

The Sicilian
After watching the two song performance by AC/DC at the Grammys Sunday, I had a moment to ponder. Did I just witness music history with the Greatest Rock n Roll Band in the World torch being passed from the Stones to AC/DC? Or do you all think maybe it was passed to someone else years before? Or, does it still belong to the Stones.

The Stones have suffered from no new "albums," stale setlists, weak guitar sound, too much choreography. Quite possibly just plain old age may have caught up with the Stones. That performance by a band that had not played live in four years was top shelf. If you look at it without any bias, it is hard to come to any other conclusion. Even more impressive, these guys are not young men either. Most are in their 60's. How much will their tickets be coveted by European fans this summer?

Siclician, I think you can relax.
AC/DC have never been the Greatest Rock'n Roll Band on Earth.

AC/DC were always the Greatest Rock/Heavy Metal Band on Earth.
Iron Maiden, later Metallica etc. are younger brothers of them.
They all don´t roll.
They rock.

Rock´n Roll is still in the hands of a few.
Stones as the Masters.
The Who as still remaining colleagues.
The Black Crows as younger brothers.

The ability for Rock´n Roll is - like just a few are aware of - a seldom gift given to bands.
You need that special drummer who can create that Off Beat.
That sloppiness.
That rolling drive.
If you have him, you can Rock and Roll.
If his name is CHARLIE WATTS you can conquer the World for over 50 years!

Chris Slade 68
Brian Johnson 67
Cliff Williams 65
Malcolm Young 62
Angus Young 59
Steve Young 58

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: February 9, 2015 21:01

The Sicilian

Chris Slade 68
Brian Johnson 67
Cliff Williams 65
Malcolm Young 62
Angus Young 59
Steve Young 58

Siclician, I think you can relax.
AC/DC have never been the Greatest Rock'n Roll Band on Earth.

AC/DC were always the Greatest Rock/Heavy Metal Band on Earth.
Iron Maiden, later Metallica etc. are younger brothers of them.
They all don´t roll.
They rock.

Rock´n Roll is still in the hands of a few.
Stones as the Masters.
The Who as still remaining colleagues.
The Black Crows as younger brothers.

The ability for Rock´n Roll is - like just a few are aware of - a seldom gift given to bands.
You need that special drummer who can create that Off Beat.
That sloppiness.
That rolling drive.
If you have him, you can Rock and Roll.
If his name is CHARLIE WATTS you can conquer the World for over 50 years!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 9, 2015 21:05

The torch was quenched by the music biz during the 80's. A pretty good attempt to relight it was made by bands like Soundgarden, Nirvana and STP but of course they are broken up. Longevity and legacy have made the Stones just about the only band remotely capable of carrying the title and I'm glad to give it to them.

The real issue is that rock and roll is just not as relevant to the majority of music listeners, these days. It's more of a niche market capitalizing on baby boomers nostalgia and over priced concerts. More like a candle than a torch. I'd love to think that there will be another great resurgence of the genre but everything has become so diluted and almalgamated it's bound to look and sound different. peace

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: February 9, 2015 21:07

No.

Posted by: jaggerman ()
Date: February 9, 2015 21:12

Naturalust
The torch was quenched by the music biz during the 80's. A pretty good attempt to relight it was made by bands like Soundgarden, Nirvana and STP but of course they are broken up. Longevity and legacy have made the Stones just about the only band remotely capable of carrying the title and I'm glad to give it to them.

The real issue is that rock and roll is just not as relevant to the majority of music listeners, these days. It's more of a niche market capitalizing on baby boomers nostalgia and over priced concerts. More like a candle than a torch. I'd love to think that there will be another great resurgence of the genre but everything has become so diluted and almalgamated it's bound to look and sound different. peace

Could not agree more
Sad but true

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-09 21:12 by jaggerman.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: February 9, 2015 21:41

The torch is ready to be passed. But no one there to take it.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: February 9, 2015 21:56

I read a comment somewhere on this forum recently, I think...something like...'AC/DC is a great band for about 5 songs...then they are boring.'
I couldn't agree more. You can't say that about the Stones....

Date: February 9, 2015 22:09

But then you'd say the Rolling Stones' musical repertoire is much diverse than AC/DC or even say, Aerosmith. Aerosmith has billed themselves as "America's greatest R'n'R band", but basically, a lot of this is just billing someone as this or that. These bands are rock, I'm not sure if it "rock and roll", maybe the distinction isn't that important.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: February 9, 2015 22:28

I'd say the current Guns N Roses are certainly Rock N Roll.

Date: February 9, 2015 22:46

BroomWagon
But then you'd say the Rolling Stones' musical repertoire is much diverse than AC/DC or even say, Aerosmith. Aerosmith has billed themselves as "America's greatest R'n'R band", but basically, a lot of this is just billing someone as this or that. These bands are rock, I'm not sure if it "rock and roll", maybe the distinction isn't that important.

Then I do recall Mick introducing themselves as just that in 1969 "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out"

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 9, 2015 22:46

The "torch" as it were is something you pass to the next in line--which means middle age passing it to the next generation's up and coming youth, like the Who describe in a song from 1982.

It's Your Turn
(John Entwistle)

Up here on the ledge
I'm getting pushed to the edge
People line up behind me to step into my shoes,
Up here in the precipice
I'm getting close to my nemesis
People fighting each other to jump into my blues

There's a young kid inside me somewhere
He stays up all night, a vampire that never dies,
With the blood and the moon in his eyes
I hear his voice when I'm comin' down,
Sleep is for fools, whe never see the sunrise,
Who never get to live twice.

I was a face in a magazine,
When you were still playin' with your plasticine,
Now you're doggin' my tail, ridin' the slipstream,
You can take the fans and the enemies
The little girls who squeeze and tease
Then pass on their social disease,
Go get your penicillin.

I know you young and dumb,
I know where you're comin' from.
Don't know where you're goin' to,
But I bin there same as you,
You're running out of ideas,
And new hats to try on.
I know you middle age
Same song, different page,
I know what you're goin' through
Made the same mistakes as you,
All you want is some hope
And a shoulder to cry on.

There's a stranger inside me somewhere
That shadow behind me, don't even look like me.
An echoed apology.
He's a wolf in sheep disguise,
I wake up in places I don't even recognize,
Pretender in paradise.

It's your turn, step up and take it
If you've got the guts to hang on
You can make.
C'mon, c'mon, come on,
Ooooh take it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-09 22:48 by stonehearted.

Date: February 9, 2015 23:10

geordiestone
I'd say the current Guns N Roses are certainly Rock N Roll.

Agreed, they have it. Again, the definition is very open. ZZ Top, they still play.

I really like AC/DC but they have just to me, always been in the Led Zeppelin mode of things.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: February 9, 2015 23:23

It was passed a long time ago! People call the Stones The Greatest Rock & Roll Band In The World as an honorarium, like calling Muhammad Ali The Greatest because he once was...smiling smileyRock music would be in sad shape if a bunch of elderly men were the best the genre has to offer!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 9, 2015 23:41

You can't loose what you ones was I guess....
Elvis Presley King of Rock and Roll
Madonna The queen of Pop
Michael Jackson's "King of Pop"
Aretha Franklin "Queen of Soul"
The Rolling Stones "The greatest.............
Etc.

Here is the complete list............................

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: February 9, 2015 23:46

Any band that sings "Highway to Hell" doesn't get to carry a torch, the greatest R&R band torch or any other torch.

I always thought, if the torch were to be passed, it might to go Willy DeVille. But I'm weird that way, and besides, Willy DeVille is dead, lying horizontally in his grave, which means he can't carry a torch.

Date: February 9, 2015 23:48

Mr.D
Rock music would be in sad shape if a bunch of elderly men were the best the genre has to offer!

Old men who laid it down when they were young. But there is a lot of truth to that statement.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 9, 2015 23:52

The Sicilian
After watching the two song performance by AC/DC at the Grammys Sunday, I had a moment to ponder. Did I just witness music history with the Greatest Rock n Roll Band in the World torch being passed from the Stones to AC/DC?

I had the opposite thought : I said to myself "man, Angus is not even 60 but he's almost completely washed out. He's struggling and suffering. This band is on crutches".

Otoh Keef and Mick gave some great shows when they were 60 (in 2003).

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 10, 2015 00:16

It's such a weird question. What is rock, like 60 years old? It would have been like asking what is The Greatest Big Band Orchestra in 1998. It's over. There's nothing truly vital out there, a few fossils that can supply some surprising fire power, like Jeff Beck and ZZ Top, a few nostalgia acts like the Stones, and a very occasional modern group like Jack White creating something relatively new.

Kids, just put down the electric guitars, back away from them. Nobody cares. Go pick up your own instruments, create new ones, whatever, but you need a new music. You will never surpass Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, the Stones & Beatles. It ain't gonna happen. They took rock and roll to its furthest boundaries. You won't. It's over.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1542
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home