Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Ghostbusters 3 Or Reboot
Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: October 10, 2014 00:56

Ghostbusters was the first movie I ever saw, and I loved the second one. What people are to Star Wars, I am to Ghostbusters. I will go into this movie with an open mind, some people are screaming that Melissa McCarthy should be no where near this movie. Like I said, I will watch with an open mind. Thoughts?

[www.cinemablend.com]

Who ya gonna call? Well, we now have a much better idea.

After months (nay, years) of speculating, Ghostbusters 3 has been confirmed. THR reports that Bridesmaids and The Heat director Paul Feig has accepted the challenge of updating the Ghostbusters for a new generation, and he’s bringing The Heat screenwriter Katie Dippold along for the ride. Feig took the news one step further on Twitter, proclaiming that the new team indeed will be female-led, as many had speculated when his name was attached to the project.

The trade also adds one major twist, should it make its way into the final draft of the screenplay: THR says that this new Ghostbusters will "no longer be connected to the earlier movies but now launch a new series." Does this mean that the surviving Ghostbusters, Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray and Ernie Hudson are off the hook and no longer have to appear? Truthfully, I’m OK with that. That ship sailed. Just plug right in with a different franchise of paranormal investigators, and make it funny. We’re in.

Now, the casting speculation can heat up (no pun intended). In addition to writing The Heat, Katie Dippold cut her teeth on Parks and Recreation for NBC, so any combination of Aubrey Plaza, Amy Poehler or Rashida Jones will do. Hell, get me Retta in a proton pack.

Naturally, we are going to hear suggestions from Paul Feig’s film past, meaning Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig and Rose Byrne likely are going to hear their names attached to Ghostbusters 3 now that the movie is official. In fact, as you’ll recall, Bill Murray listed them, as well as Emma Stone and Linda Cardellini, when he was building the perfect female Ghostbusting team.

THR couldn’t confirm whether Ghostbusters 3 will be Paul Feig’s next project or not. If they are starting over from scratch with a screenplay, it might take some time. But it all sounds official. What do you think?

Re: OT - Ghostbusters 3 Or Reboot
Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: October 10, 2014 05:17

This is a really, really bad idea. Nobody is going to care if Bill Murray isn't involved. Think Caddyshack 2.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 10, 2014 17:05

The third film was made into a PS3 game back in 2008. It's in the canon too.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: October 10, 2014 17:45

The second one is embarrassing to begin with, they should have left it as one stand-alone movie and quit trying.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 10, 2014 18:24

THR says that this new Ghostbusters will "no longer be connected to the earlier movies but now launch a new series."

Then why call it Ghostbusters #3?

Although I don't have the connection to the original that JohnnyBGoode does, I can remember seeing it in the theater in my early teens. My first reaction/thought on #3 is: "why bother?". Why bother making it? Why bother going to it? The first one was a classic (IMO). The 2nd was a fun continuation with the existing charcters even if it wasn't that great a movie. Possibly the third one will be great and people will refer to it for years to come. Pretty sure I won't be one of those people.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: ThankGod ()
Date: October 10, 2014 22:06

mr_dja
THR says that this new Ghostbusters will "no longer be connected to the earlier movies but now launch a new series."

Then why call it Ghostbusters #3?

Although I don't have the connection to the original that JohnnyBGoode does, I can remember seeing it in the theater in my early teens. My first reaction/thought on #3 is: "why bother?". Why bother making it? Why bother going to it? The first one was a classic (IMO). The 2nd was a fun continuation with the existing charcters even if it wasn't that great a movie. Possibly the third one will be great and people will refer to it for years to come. Pretty sure I won't be one of those people.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Why even call it Ghostbusters at all? The truth is there would be zero interest if the name wasnt involved.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: January 28, 2015 23:07

It's official:

[www.rollingstone.com]

Just three months after it was announced that Bridesmaid director Paul Feig would reboot the Ghostbusters series with an all-female cast, the four actresses who will don the proton packs have been revealed: Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy and current Saturday Night Live stars Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones. Feig tweeted his Ghostbusters casting news Tuesday night along with the film's scheduled release date: July 22nd, 2016.

According to Deadline, the actresses are still in negotiations to take on the roles made famous by Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis and Ernie Hudson. However, Feig felt confident enough about them inking their deals that he tweeted they would star in the ghost-catching comedy, which will begin filming this summer, the Huffington Post writes. Feig and The Heat screenwriter Katie Dippold penned the reboot's script.

A Ghostbusters 3 film, the follow-up to the 1989 sequel, was trapped in pre-production for years as Murray, who starred as Peter Venkman in the original series, refused to sign on for the third movie. With the February 2014 passing of Ramis, who played Egon Spengler, any hope of reuniting the original Ghostbusters crew ended.

Murray was among the first to voice his support for an all-female cast, even recommending four actresses for the film: Wiig and McCarthy, who ended up getting the roles, as well as Emma Stone and Linda Cardellini. After learning that Wiig was Murray's pick to ghostbust, the actress said, "I will do whatever Bill Murray tells me to do." Feig also called Murray's picks "an awesome cast," and it seems as though he half-listened to the actor's suggestions.

Back when the new Ghostbusters film was announced, Feig made it clear that this was a reboot and not Ghostbusters 3. "I love the first one so much, I don't want to do anything to ruin the memory of that," Feig said. "So it just felt like, let's just restart it because then we can have new dynamics. I want the technology to be even cooler. I want it to be really scary, and I want it to happen in our world today that hasn't gone through it so it's like, oh my God what's going on?"

Both Wiig and McCarthy worked with Feig on Bridesmaids, and the director also recruited McCarthy for The Heat. Jones, who after making her debut last year has been one of the weekly highlights of this season's Saturday Night Live, recently appeared in Chris Rock's Top Five. For the Emmy-nominated McKinnon, Ghostbusters will mark the comedian's first major film role.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: January 29, 2015 00:25

F this movie and Feig. This is the worst idea for a movie I think I have ever heard.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 29, 2015 02:03

I thought the first one was based on a such a ridiculous premise/plot that it was stupid. It turned out ok based on the strength and popularity of the actors at that time but I can't imagine it holding out for a 3rd run. The thought of someone spending millions of dollars on this in 2015....rather absurd. peace

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 29, 2015 12:34

Ghost Busters 2 was my introduction to the world of cinema.

Both films are very good, I think. I'm not sure how a third instalment would fair, however.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: January 29, 2015 15:53

If you were a kid in the 60s then you were treated to all the 1940s and 1950s movies on TV. Anybody remember when your local TV stations ran late-night movies and perhaps a movie or two every week in prime time?

The Ghost and Mr. Chicken and The Ghost Breakers man!!! smiling smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 29, 2015 18:51

i hope they replace Kate Mckinnon with somebody else .i think Molly Shannon would be a better pick and also a SNL almunus !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-29 19:13 by TheGreek.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 29, 2015 19:06

It seems like the final nail in a long line of "reboots" and "remakes" from Hollywood. I say final because some of them have been warranted. I get the super hero reboots and while I think many of these remakes have been bad ideas, I've gotten where they're coming from in terms of updating them.

A movie like Ghostbusters though? Its hardly that old and its also an absolute classic. People revere this film. IMO it would kind of be like remaking Rocky Horror for the modern age. I just don't think it works. Its a film that works once and doesn't have much to remake or reboot. This is one of the few blatant repackaging of a film I've seen from this insane Hollywood system. There's literally nothing to add to this film or anything to update. Simple milking of the name.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1264
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home