Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Rotterdam Sessions 1975
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 11, 2015 14:17

Thank you Crazy C63312!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-12 14:50 by Redhotcarpet.

Re: Rotterdam Sessions 1975
Date: January 12, 2015 10:17

Interesting to hear how bad of a fit Jeff Beck was for the Stones. Thanks for posting! smileys with beer

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 12, 2015 12:26

Jeff Beck is a great guitarist but he's all about flash - as one of his album titles boldly screams! He's also a born leader and would never have blended in with Keith, or Mick for that matter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-13 11:04 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 12, 2015 13:11

Silver Dagger
Jeff Beck is a great guitarist but he's all about flash - as one of his album title boldly screams! He's also a born leader and would never have blended in with Keith, or Mick for that matter.

and beside that he is a too good guitarist for the Stones – too unique style, too jazzy, too individualistic (as a guitar player) and far too into improvising

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: January 12, 2015 14:29

DandelionPowderman
Interesting to hear how bad of a fit Jeff Beck was for the Stones. Thanks for posting! smileys with beer

Yep, surprisingly with Jeff it it sounded a bit "stalemate" to me, as if they din't want to make music together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-12 14:34 by LuxuryStones.

Date: January 12, 2015 15:08

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

Yep, surprisingly with Jeff it it sounded a bit "stalemate" to me, as if they din't want to make music together.

Sometimes, great musicians just can't make the magic together smiling smiley

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: January 12, 2015 15:32

Are these tapes new in bootleg world?
They sound like 10th generation cassette dubs.
What is the story?

Date: January 12, 2015 15:48

Blueranger
Are these tapes new in bootleg world?
They sound like 10th generation cassette dubs.
What is the story?

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: January 12, 2015 16:04

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

His guestappearance in the first O2 show London 2012 hurted my ears. Way too loud in the beginning and I liked Ronnie and Keith solo's more.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 12, 2015 21:10

Silver Dagger
Jeff Beck is a great guitarist but he's all about flash - as one of his album title boldly screams! He's also a born leader and would never have blended in with Keith, or Mick for that matter.

He has outgrown the flash years ago,imo. He is a unique soloist who uses lots of subtle moves to get his point across. He's like a lead singer on the guitar, working melodies and with amazing tone variations.

The best technician on guitar there has ever been, and he just keeps getting better! Yes he can be flashy when he wants but he is so much more than that. If you've ever heard him play songs like "People Get Ready" solo, it just hits you what a master he is.

No doubt a terrible fit for the Stones. He sorta outgrew their simple approach to music years ago and of course would never have lasted with Keith calling the shots and with the crazy party atmosphere that Ronnie and Keith embraced so well in the mid-70's.

peace

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 12, 2015 21:16

RipThisBone
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

His guestappearance in the first O2 show London 2012 hurted my ears. Way too loud in the beginning and I liked Ronnie and Keith solo's more.

My friend Thomas put it this way: When he saw Jeff Beck coming on stage and
starting to noodle, he said: "Like an overexcited dog that´s pissing in every
corner". EXACTLY!

Date: January 12, 2015 21:44

Naturalust
Silver Dagger

He has outgrown the flash years ago,imo. He is a unique soloist who uses lots of subtle moves to get his point across. He's like a lead singer on the guitar, working melodies and with amazing tone variations.

The best technician on guitar there has ever been, and he just keeps getting better! Yes he can be flashy when he wants but he is so much more than that. If you've ever heard him play songs like "People Get Ready" solo, it just hits you what a master he is.

No doubt a terrible fit for the Stones. He sorta outgrew their simple approach to music years ago and of course would never have lasted with Keith calling the shots and with the crazy party atmosphere that Ronnie and Keith embraced so well in the mid-70's.

peace

The best technician on guitar there has ever been.. I don't know. For the rest
you just nailed it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-12 21:47 by LuxuryStones.

Date: January 12, 2015 21:46

TooTough
RipThisBone
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

My friend Thomas put it this way: When he saw Jeff Beck coming on stage and
starting to noodle, he said: "Like an overexcited dog that´s pissing in every
corner". EXACTLY!

thumbs up smileys with beer

Back on topic: Are there recordings of songs with other guitarists on this Rotterdam Sessions 1975 tape besides Jeff Beck?
Martin Elliot in his book wrote Jeff Beck was on Heat Wave, Freeway Jam, English Rose, Shame Shame Shame and Man Eating Woman. These are all on the two (TDK 90 minutes) which I bought in Amsterdam in the early 80's of the last century.
Have not listened to them in ages and can't see myself listening to the YouTube version lasting 2 hours and 22 minutes.
Are there people on here for who this is a new discovery?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-12 22:01 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 12, 2015 21:54

LuxuryStones
Naturalust
Silver Dagger

peace

you just nailed it.

Well how about the best technician n a Stratocaster? His right hand work is incredible, his finger picking and tremolo work unique and masterful.

peace

Date: January 12, 2015 23:05

Naturalust
LuxuryStones
Naturalust
Silver Dagger

peace

you just nailed it.

Well how about the best technician n a Stratocaster? His right hand work is incredible, his finger picking and tremolo work unique and masterful.

peace

Jeff Beck is Jeff Beck, the combination of the things you mentioned make him unique, and don't forget his left hand. It's just how you want to define technic? I don't hear him play along on let's say Friday night in san francisco from a technical or harmonical point of view, or Chet Atkins finger picking on Jerrys Breakdown. But I absolutely love his playing, still one of the most ground breaking players around, even at his age.

Date: January 12, 2015 23:25

LuxuryStones
Naturalust
LuxuryStones
Naturalust
Silver Dagger

peace

you just nailed it.

peace

Jeff Beck is Jeff Beck, the combination of the things you mentioned make him unique, and don't forget his left hand. It's just how you want to define technic? I don't hear him play along on let's say Friday night in san francisco from a technical or harmonical point of view, or Chet Atkins finger picking on Jerrys Breakdown. But I absolutely love his playing, still one of the most ground breaking players around, even at his age.

Jeff Beck is Jeff Beck. Leave it at that, but does he wear a wig at his age you think?

Date: January 12, 2015 23:34

RipThisBone
LuxuryStones
Naturalust
LuxuryStones
Naturalust
Silver Dagger

peace

you just nailed it.

peace

Jeff Beck is Jeff Beck. Leave it at that, but does he wear a wig at his age you think?

Saw him last year, no I don't think so. And he didn't clown around.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: January 13, 2015 01:15

Jeff Beck is a technically brilliant and incredibly boring guitarist. A friend of mine fell asleep taping one of his shows back in 99!

Date: January 13, 2015 01:41

flacnvinyl
Jeff Beck is a technically brilliant and incredibly boring guitarist. A friend of mine fell asleep taping one of his shows back in 99!

Your friend must be deaf then, cause Jeff Beck plays really loud.winking smiley

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 13, 2015 01:48

Jeff Beck in one of the greatest. Rod Stewart in his auto bio gives a quite suiting description of the man: obviously he could never have fitted in the stones and lived a happy life.

While I can understand why many Stones' fans don't like his playing, I just can't understand how can anyone say that his playing is too "sophisticated" or "technical" for the Stones. It's just different that's all. If it's so easy to play what keith and Ronnie play, why can't anyone else do it?

C

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 13, 2015 02:23

The thing is, it's not easy at all to play what Keith and Ronnie play.

Date: January 13, 2015 08:25

Koen

True. I have never heard anyone who play like them smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 13, 2015 08:49

DandelionPowderman
Koen

But everyone can play like Jeff Beck...>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Date: January 13, 2015 09:02

Seriously, that possible 'Beck joining the Stones' is one of oddest deals in history of rock. Was it ever serious? Was Beck serious? Broke at the time? What were the Stones thinking... good dope around?

In 1975 flashy guitarists were still a big deal, but just to think of that Taylor was seemingly artistically bored with the Stones, and his ambition is probably chicken shit compared to Beck's... what would have been SOME GIRLS like with Beck...? Jagger entering the sessions with his guitar and strumming damn loud with his primitive technique, and shouting "look boys, let's play some punk! FASTER FASTER FASTER!!". I mean, Richards was struggling with Mick at the time - what would have been Beck like?>grinning smiley<

Anyway, Beck and Jagger were doing alright at Obama's blues party. At the time I thought it was freshing to see Jagger with a competent guitarist, since I have lost my hope for Richards/Wood axis. Much to my surprise, Keith and especially Ronnie have proved me wrong...thumbs up

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-13 09:05 by Doxa.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 13, 2015 10:17

Doxa
Seriously, that possible 'Beck joining the Stones' is one of oddest deals in history of rock. Was it ever serious? Was Beck serious? Broke at the time? What were the Stones thinking... good dope around?

In 1975 flashy guitarists were still a big deal, but just to think of that Taylor was seemingly artistically bored with the Stones, and his ambition is probably chicken shit compared to Beck's... what would have been SOME GIRLS like with Beck...? Jagger entering the sessions with his guitar and strumming damn loud with his primitive technique, and shouting "look boys, let's play some punk! FASTER FASTER FASTER!!". I mean, Richards was struggling with Mick at the time - what would have been Beck like?>grinning smiley<

Anyway, Beck and Jagger were doing alright at Obama's blues party. At the time I thought it was freshing to see Jagger with a competent guitarist, since I have lost my hope for Richards/Wood axis. Much to my surprise, Keith and especially Ronnie have proved me wrong...thumbs up

- Doxa

When I read JB's full account of those Rotterdam sessions - there are lots of interviews around confirming that indeed the Stones (the band) had decided to give him Taylor's shirt - my first reaction was exactly the same as yours.

On second thought, Jagger ended up doing two solo albums with JB, so it could very well be that already at the time his "ideal" rock sound was something diffrent than the down-to-earth exile sound.

I don't think that JB would have been bored to play with the stones. But limited, yes, absolutely yes. He has a very strong personality

And above all I don't think that JB's decision had anything to do with the Stones alleged (in)competence as musicians. All real musicians - including JB - highly regard the stones as true competent musicians.

C

Date: January 13, 2015 11:00

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Koen

But everyone can play like Jeff Beck...>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

No, but there are actually far more technically advanced players out there than that of "to the bone"-players like Keith smiling smiley

There are probably many reasons for that, but one of them is that people are too much in a hurry to master everything that they forget to develop their own sound along the way.

Keith knew what he wanted, and stuck to that - for better or worse.

I can't even think of any famous guitarist who sound like him. The closest would perhaps be Lou Reed or Roger McGuinn. But both of them lack the phrasing and touch Keith has and are even more primitive players.

Date: January 13, 2015 11:09

Doxa

... what would have been SOME GIRLS like with Beck...? Jagger entering the sessions with his guitar and strumming damn loud with his primitive technique, and shouting "look boys, let's play some punk! FASTER FASTER FASTER!!".>grinning smiley<

thumbs up

- Doxa

Haha. Love that image. >grinning smiley<

Date: January 13, 2015 11:21

Silver Dagger
Doxa

... what would have been SOME GIRLS like with Beck...? Jagger entering the sessions with his guitar and strumming damn loud with his primitive technique, and shouting "look boys, let's play some punk! FASTER FASTER FASTER!!".>grinning smiley<

thumbs up

- Doxa

Yeah, but you do get the real thing while listening to the Rotterdam tapes. The Stones are playing an uber-primitive blues, whilst Beck is using volume pedals, the whammy bar and the guitar knobs like there was no tomorrow to sound special.
It's priceless! grinning smiley

Date: January 13, 2015 11:24

Yeah, liddas, good points. The thing is that one is tempted to interpret the past by terms what happened later, that is, when thinking Beck 'suiting' to the Stones the idea we have of Ronnie era Stones, weaving, SOME GIRLS, etc. is easily used as a criterion. But in 1975 the future was uncertain - like always - and there were different options to take. Actually, Beck was not that far choice from Taylor. In some ways, even logical. It could have very well been that Jagger was used to work with Taylor, that is, to have a flashy lead guitarist in the band, helping him in singing by giving clues, etc. The band was still going through a transition period, with no clear direction after the hangover of their 'golden era'. There was no idea of 'back to basics' approach yet (which kind of gave the Stones direction and point again); the band still was 'black and blue' - a template Beck wouldn't have been not familiar with. I think Beck could have very well suited to the Tour of The Americas - probably even better fitted to Taylor's shoes than Woody.

My biggest concern would have been if the limited role he had been given would have be enough for him in the long run. But then again, I'm not sure if the guys back then were really thinking in terms of 'this is my duty of life for good'. Knowing Beck's history and strong personality, pretty hard to think him as hired gun for ages (and that's what Ronnie was for years). Most probably he wouldn't even accepted the deal Ronnie made for 1975 tour - wasn't that the reason a decade later for not doing Mick's solo tour?

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-13 11:29 by Doxa.

Date: January 13, 2015 11:25

DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger
Doxa

thumbs up

- Doxa

Yeah, but you do get the real thing while listening to the Rotterdam tapes. The Stones are playing an uber-primitive blues, whilst Beck is using volume pedals, the whammy bar and the guitar knobs like there was no tomorrow to sound special.
It's priceless! grinning smiley

Yep - a marriage made in hell. grinning smiley

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1827
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home