Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT..Telecaster Pick-Ups
Posted by: curtisdavis ()
Date: May 3, 2011 17:11

I bought a 78 Tele earlier this year..it sounds good but the pickups sound very thin.I have been a Strat Man since 94..I have a 72 Strat with EMGs..I put in and get all kinds of sounds with that thing..plus a 2010 American Standard with a rosewood neck..my 72 Strat is Maple Neck as well as the 78 Tele....my question to get that beefy Keith tone..plus that Zeppelin 1st album tone what IYHO pick-ups should I try??

Coming Down Again

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-03 17:46 by curtisdavis.

Re: Telecaster Pick-Ups
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: May 3, 2011 17:27

I have a SD lil '59 in the bridge of my Tele. IMO, it does the raunchy Stones stuff great.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 3, 2011 17:28

The best neck pickup I ever put in a Tele was a Lindy Fralin Blues Special.

It was sweet.

Date: May 3, 2011 17:33

How is the buzz and feedback on them respective Pick-ups?..I have heard of both...also..should I replace both Pick-Ups..kinda at a toss up with this guitar.

Coming Down Again

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 3, 2011 17:35

What amp do you use?

Date: May 3, 2011 17:42

Fender Blues Deluxe.

Coming Down Again

Re: OT..Telecaster Pick-Ups
Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: May 3, 2011 20:39

Fralin's

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 3, 2011 20:45

SD antiquity on my tele. Very happy!

C

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: May 3, 2011 21:58

Bare Knuckles for boutique and Iron Gear for cheap but excellent.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: May 4, 2011 00:23

Why don't you try a 4 way switch on your tele. It allows you to run both pick ups in series. Makes your guitar sound 'hubuckerish' - similar sound to an SG. The switch will only cost about $20

Date: May 4, 2011 06:25

I have been researching all day..thanks for all the suggestions..so many choices...I do like the fourway switch idea plus new pick ups...I do want a humbucker for the neck..not sure which one yet.Trying to get it done tomorrow cause I have a gig Friday Night..and want to play it on the Stones and Kinks songs in the set.

Coming Down Again

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 4, 2011 07:17

They is fine jus' the way they is. Tele is all about the thin. Embrace it.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: May 4, 2011 11:26

71Tele
They is fine jus' the way they is. Tele is all about the thin. Embrace it.

+1 Kept the stock pickups on mine. Sounds like a tele. Got other guitars to do the beefy stuff.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 4, 2011 11:37

curtisdavis
I bought a 78 Tele earlier this year..it sounds good but the pickups sound very thin.I have been a Strat Man since 94..I have a 72 Strat with EMGs..I put in and get all kinds of sounds with that thing..plus a 2010 American Standard with a rosewood neck..my 72 Strat is Maple Neck as well as the 78 Tele....my question to get that beefy Keith tone..plus that Zeppelin 1st album tone what IYHO pick-ups should I try??

Sell the '78 Tele. First, if you take out the original pickups you devalue the guitar with 1/3 to 1/2. Second, most late 70's Tele's and Strats just don't have a very good sound -many sound thin, trebly and not very powerful. This is mainly due to wood, paint and general build quality. The pickups of late 70's Fender guitars do not differ that much from early and mid 70 pickups. Changing pickups will make a difference, but it will not get you where you want to go.

Sell the '78 for $1500 to $1800, and buy a '52 Vintage Reissue for $1200, which will sound great without the need to alter anything. If you really want the best, get a CS '52 Nocaster -a Nocaster with '52 appointments and 9" scale.

Mathijs

Date: May 4, 2011 13:24

@Mathjis..sounds good..question,what if I get the Nocaster Pick-ups installed?..would that make a major difference?Of course I would keep the stock Pups in case I wanted to sell.At the guys who say keep it original..I hear u but just as I said it is too thin for my tastes..I like it to a point..but I want more power and versatility out of the guitar..I love the way it plays.but not too happy with the sound..want to play it as much as my Strats..but we will see...Thanks for all the Replies...u guys r better than these guys at Guitar Center here in Virginia Beach,Virginia.

Coming Down Again

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 4, 2011 14:59

Mathijs
buy a '52 Vintage Reissue for $1200

Highly recommended, and you may as well upgrade your amp to something decent, such as a Deluxe Reverb Reissue and you'll be set for life.

Date: May 4, 2011 15:40

I love my Blues Deluxe..I have a nice pedal board that allows me to get some cool tones out of my strats..especially the one with the Dave Gilmour Emgs...but I have played threw a Deluxe Reverb Reissue..very nice...looking to get one but not at this moment..I am in Tele crisis..lol....Thanks everyone.

Coming Down Again

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 4, 2011 18:01

Mathijs
curtisdavis

Sell the '78 Tele. First, if you take out the original pickups you devalue the guitar with 1/3 to 1/2. Second, most late 70's Tele's and Strats just don't have a very good sound -many sound thin, trebly and not very powerful. This is mainly due to wood, paint and general build quality. The pickups of late 70's Fender guitars do not differ that much from early and mid 70 pickups. Changing pickups will make a difference, but it will not get you where you want to go.

Sell the '78 for $1500 to $1800, and buy a '52 Vintage Reissue for $1200, which will sound great without the need to alter anything. If you really want the best, get a CS '52 Nocaster -a Nocaster with '52 appointments and 9" scale.

Mathijs

Good advice. Late 70s Fender instruments leave something to be desired. I bought a '78 Mustang Bass and just could never get along with it, so I sold it and bought a '67 Vox. The difference between a '71 Telecaster and a '78 or '79 is dramatic, especially the necks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1867
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home