Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Video: Review of Dirty Work
Posted by: glimmerkkp ()
Date: December 4, 2014 21:35

---------------------------------

[glimmerkkp.blogspot.com]

Re: Video: Review of Dirty Work
Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: December 4, 2014 22:02

I quite enjoyed that. Without really learning anything new..

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: December 5, 2014 16:06

I stopped watching at about 3 minutes as I am not impressed with anyone who dismisses Goats Head Soup, IORR, Black and Blue, Emotional Rescue, Tattoo You AND Undercover as sub-par albums. Maybe you don't like one or two of those, but really... this dude is a little goofy to suggest every one of those LPs was a disappointment (personally, I love every one of them). I agree (though there are many who don't) that DW was a major disappointment of an album, but those others? They are all among the gems, in my opinion.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 5, 2014 16:21

Tate
I stopped watching at about 3 minutes as I am not impressed with anyone who dismisses Goats Head Soup, IORR, Black and Blue, Emotional Rescue, Tattoo You AND Undercover as sub-par albums. Maybe you don't like one or two of those, but really... this dude is a little goofy to suggest every one of those LPs was a disappointment (personally, I love every one of them). I agree (though there are many who don't) that DW was a major disappointment of an album, but those others? They are all among the gems, in my opinion.

And neither THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES was any "flop". This guy's account goes a bit too straightforwadly according to 'official' music history in what was good and what was not, even over-emphasizing some things.

- Doxa

Posted by: diamondisminer ()
Date: December 6, 2014 17:09

harlem shuffle is one of my favorite song of stones!

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 7, 2014 07:54

Does anybody actually listen to all of Dirty Work in one listen anymore? There's a few good cuts on the album, but, ehhh. I'll take Goat's Head Soup or Tattoo You over Dirty Work anytime. The second side of Tattoo You (Worried About You through Waiting On A Friend) IMO is the best album side the Stones put together in the past 30 or s0 years.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: December 7, 2014 10:52

Anyone calling a masterpiece like Tattoo You sub-par doesn't know their stuff imo. It's sited as one of the great albums in rock so where the notion that it's not up top scratch comes from is beyond me.

The remaining albums they speak of as "sub par" are at worst only sub par perhaps by Stones standards. Any group or artist on Earth would have nabbed those albums as their own given the chance.

DW aside from a couple of tracks is predominantly garbage to me. Love OH and HS and HIWY is ok but the rest...

Date: December 7, 2014 11:34

I thought he was good. As much as I love ER, GHS, B&B, TY etc etc these are in the big big picture second tier albums; as much as we here don't like to accept that.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 7, 2014 14:41

Tattoo You, Goat Head Soup, and Emotional Rescue are not second tier albums.

Narrative is interesting & entertaining, however, classifications should have been removed from presentation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-07 14:42 by Chris Fountain.

Date: December 7, 2014 15:04

Maybe 'second tier'isnt the best expression, but there's the Big 5, and then there's the next level. in comparison, yes that would be second tier. I know that "Black & Blue" and IORR albums had a huge impact on my personal life; my memories. But I know that their impact on rock &pop culture didnt come close to "Let it Bleed" and "Exile".

Not forgetting that 'second tier' in Stones catalog is lightyears above most other acts 'top tier'.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 7, 2014 15:17

I would pine that Black & Blue has several substandard songs such as Hey Negrita, Melody, Fool to Cry, which compromises album integrity.

However, all is well with IORR. Luxury is the album driver.

Furthermore, you have to appreciate Jagger barking at the end of this gem. It's almost like a Clash approach on Corp America. Contrarily,this song makes you want to take the side of being wealthy.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-07 16:09 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 7, 2014 18:53

dmay
Does anybody actually listen to all of Dirty Work in one listen anymore? There's a few good cuts on the album, but, ehhh. I'll take Goat's Head Soup or Tattoo You over Dirty Work anytime. The second side of Tattoo You (Worried About You through Waiting On A Friend) IMO is the best album side the Stones put together in the past 30 or s0 years.

No one with a brain...

Date: December 7, 2014 19:00

Why does the song "Melody" get slammed so much? Yeah, it's the Stones getting a bit goofy, but at the same time, it's a great riff on and homage to jazz/blues music and still holds up music wise. The walking bass line and keyboard work in it is really good. It's like a forerunner, bass wise, of what's to come down the road in the bass line of "Miss You". Looking back on the track list for the B&B album, there's only one other tune on the album beside "Melody" I consider still worth listening to: "Memory Motel". Otherwise, IMO, the album's pretty much a dud.

Date: December 7, 2014 19:02

dmay
Why does the song "Melody" get slammed so much? Yeah, it's the Stones getting a bit goofy, but at the same time, it's a great riff on and homage to jazz/blues music and still holds up music wise. The walking bass line and keyboard work in it is really good. It's like a forerunner, bass wise, of what's to come down the road in the bass line of "Miss You". Looking back on the track list for the B&B album, there's only one other tune on the album beside "Melody" I consider still worth listening to: "Memory Motel". Otherwise, IMO, the album's pretty much a dud.

Because it doesn't fit on a greatest hits comp or EOMS like that drivel I Just Wanna See His Face.

I think it's awesome, as I do BLACK AND BLUE.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 7, 2014 22:27

GasLightStreet
dmay

No one with a brain...

True: I have no brain and I regularly listen and enjoy the whole album.

C

Date: December 7, 2014 22:46

liddas
GasLightStreet
dmay

No one with a brain...

True: I have no brain and I regularly listen and enjoy the whole album.

C

Ouch. That must hurt a lot.

Date: December 7, 2014 23:09

For you, liddas:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 8, 2014 16:33

wrong thread!

C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-08 16:41 by liddas.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: December 10, 2014 10:03

I love "Melody" and really like Black and Blue - especially its production. Dunno why ppl so down on "Melody". It's hip and groovy.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 10, 2014 10:31

The reviewer is deaf, though I admit that emotional rescue is not my favorite record by the Stones by a long shot. Tried too hard to be... Hard.

Date: December 10, 2014 16:32

Palace Revolution 2000
Maybe 'second tier'isnt the best expression, but there's the Big 5, and then there's the next level. in comparison, yes that would be second tier. I know that "Black & Blue" and IORR albums had a huge impact on my personal life; my memories. But I know that their impact on rock &pop culture didnt come close to "Let it Bleed" and "Exile".

Not forgetting that 'second tier' in Stones catalog is lightyears above most other acts 'top tier'.

Which one is the 5th "big one", SG or Aftermath? winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2135
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home