Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: STEVEN TYLER (Aerosmith) - NBC Dateline interview with Matt Lauer (Sunday, May 1st)
Posted by: MagicYear73 ()
Date: May 4, 2011 12:26

Yes, I saw the Stones in '07 and overall it was a disappointment. I'm not talking about the guitarsound, but about how they play. Keith was barely able to hold his guitar, let alone play it. Mick's just shouting something very nasal and Ronnie just doesn't play very well within the Stones. Which is strange, because in his solowork, or with the Faces, he proves that he is a very skillfull and creative guitarist. And than he rocks. Why doesn't he do that with the Stones?
Anyway, I still get goosebumps when I hear Keith riffing away on a kool Charlie-beat, but to me it's obvious that the groovemachine isn't well oiled anymore. Apart from autopilot warhorses they cannot perform any songs without wrecking it. And the groove that you talk about, I can't find it anymore. I wanna hear Shattered like they play it in '81, a never ending train rolling by, THE Rolling Stones. And back then, a whole concert was like that. Last time I felt something like that was with Out of Control in '98. But that was just one song.
With Aerosmith, or Status Quo, or ZZ-Top, they still play like thirty-odd years ago. They use their instruments to the utmost, they jam, they kick ass, so the agefactor isn't relevant, as they are the same age as the Stones.
When you go to an Aerosmithconcert you get two hours of very intense playing. Apart from the obligatory ballads, which aren't so bad at all, you get a band who jams to Fleetwood Mac in its heyday, and a lot of other bluesrelated stuff. Yes, they are a corporation, but they still love their music and you can hear that. Same goes for other bands from the 60s and 70s. With the Stones, I don't hear it anymore. And they play very bad. Why?

Re: OT: STEVEN TYLER (Aerosmith) - NBC Dateline interview with Matt Lauer (Sunday, May 1st)
Date: May 4, 2011 12:56

MagicYear73
Yes, I saw the Stones in '07 and overall it was a disappointment. I'm not talking about the guitarsound, but about how they play. Keith was barely able to hold his guitar, let alone play it. Mick's just shouting something very nasal and Ronnie just doesn't play very well within the Stones. Which is strange, because in his solowork, or with the Faces, he proves that he is a very skillfull and creative guitarist. And than he rocks. Why doesn't he do that with the Stones?
Anyway, I still get goosebumps when I hear Keith riffing away on a kool Charlie-beat, but to me it's obvious that the groovemachine isn't well oiled anymore. Apart from autopilot warhorses they cannot perform any songs without wrecking it. And the groove that you talk about, I can't find it anymore. I wanna hear Shattered like they play it in '81, a never ending train rolling by, THE Rolling Stones. And back then, a whole concert was like that. Last time I felt something like that was with Out of Control in '98. But that was just one song.
With Aerosmith, or Status Quo, or ZZ-Top, they still play like thirty-odd years ago. They use their instruments to the utmost, they jam, they kick ass, so the agefactor isn't relevant, as they are the same age as the Stones.
When you go to an Aerosmithconcert you get two hours of very intense playing. Apart from the obligatory ballads, which aren't so bad at all, you get a band who jams to Fleetwood Mac in its heyday, and a lot of other bluesrelated stuff. Yes, they are a corporation, but they still love their music and you can hear that. Same goes for other bands from the 60s and 70s. With the Stones, I don't hear it anymore. And they play very bad. Why?

Bollocks. I saw some of the best renditions ever of Monkey Man, Bitch and GOOMC in Oslo in 2007. In Bergen they did a fantastic All Down The Line, a great LSTNT and even a suprisingly good Streets Of Love. Not exactly autopilot warhorses.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 5, 2011 17:19

Matt Lauer does his homework, knows a lot about rock, and is very good at his job. Just because he truly enjoys the folks he interviews, does not detract from his techniques. I thought he did a great interview with Tyler. Nothing really to complain about at all. It was also apparent that Tyler enjoyed speaking with Matt so that positive energy makes the interview process enjoyable for everyone.

Posted by: brianwalker ()
Date: May 5, 2011 17:45

CrissCrossMind
It's on Channel 4 - NBC East Coast Right Now. Really very good. Will put the clips up tomorrow. (a lot of Mick Jagger content in part one)

UPDATE - Here's the clips from Yesterday

This is the only thing decent Tyler ever did. Always hated the jerk. Can't stand it when a 20 year old contrives being an out of control wild man. ( Keith Moon ) Really really really hate it when a 60 year old does it. pathetic. Grow up Ahole.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-05 18:39 by brianwalker.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: May 5, 2011 18:04

CrissCrossMind
E. Simple Minded Sales people at WALMART saying,"HAVE A NICE DAY"

Just what the f*ck are you talking about? "Simple minded sales people"? I guess you must be such a complex, brilliant person.
Aerosmith is done since at least the early 90's...doing power ballads written by other people. The American Idol thing was embarrasing, and J. Perry might still be able to play and stuff...but he was always kind of a poseur.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: May 5, 2011 18:16

stones78
CrissCrossMind

Just what the f*ck are you talking about? "Simple minded sales people"? I guess you must be such a complex, brilliant person.
CrissCrossMind sounds like an elitist. he does have two homes, after all.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 5, 2011 19:21

ineedadrink
stones78
CrissCrossMind

That is his idea of what America is all about, apparently. I suppose since he travels regularly between the US and Europe--it gives him the right to make up outlandish images of what the US is about. If anything, he doesn't give much leeway when his views are tested. The best example of this was originally found in the "Coachella Festival...stupid as it gets" thread...before he edited out most of his outrageous comments--which is typical after he posts something and gets a backlash from the board. The beer banning at the royal wedding was also up there.

He must feel somewhat above the rest of us since he believes every thread he posts is so important that everyone and their mother must respond to it. The "hey look at me!" bit is old.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-05 19:29 by Justin.

Posted by: CrissCrossMind ()
Date: May 6, 2011 03:34

Justin
ineedadrink
stones78
CrissCrossMind

That is his idea of what America is all about, apparently. I suppose since he travels regularly between the US and Europe--it gives him the right to make up outlandish images of what the US is about. If anything, he doesn't give much leeway when his views are tested. The best example of this was originally found in the "Coachella Festival...stupid as it gets" thread...before he edited out most of his outrageous comments--which is typical after he posts something and gets a backlash from the board. The beer banning at the royal wedding was also up there.

He must feel somewhat above the rest of us since he believes every thread he posts is so important that everyone and their mother must respond to it. The "hey look at me!" bit is old.

YO, JUSTIN, JUSTIN, HEY DUDE, LOOK AT ME !!! NO NO, DOWN HERE.... HERE I AM - I'M SWIMMING IN THE TOILET !!! SEE ME?!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1831
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home