Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Hampton 81 at Wolfgang vault
Posted by: djgab ()
Date: April 29, 2011 16:25

Hi

thank to the Wolfgang Vault, we can watch at the famous Hampton concert
with a great great quality

When the whip comes down !
http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/

Re: Hampton 81 at Wolfgang vault
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 29, 2011 17:11

Thanks for the link!
Backstage video is kind of cool...

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 29, 2011 17:25

Backstage clip is kinda weird..did my eyes decieve me or did I see sheep wandering about of the showers and then a female using a stand up urinal...!

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: April 29, 2011 22:14

crumbling_mice
Backstage clip is kinda weird..did my eyes decieve me or did I see sheep wandering about of the showers and then a female using a stand up urinal...!

Sure did. You don't think it could be staged?

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 29, 2011 22:33

At the end of the clip "Wainting on a friend" Keith gives Mick a kick in the ass. Mick doesn't seem amused. Meanwhile Ron is his corner drinking. Ron was really waisted during that show but he still was able to play although he was barely able to stand up. Great show.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 29, 2011 23:34

Mick is often percieved as the leader of the band. How can a leader accept that his guitarist is drunk on stage? What kind of leadership is that? He should have kicked that bum right out of the band. How could he accept this behaviour tour after tour?

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 30, 2011 00:35

Stoneage
Mick is often percieved as the leader of the band. How can a leader accept that his guitarist is drunk on stage? What kind of leadership is that? He should have kicked that bum right out of the band. How could he accept this behaviour tour after tour?

This is the Rolling Stones, such incapacity was the norm, Ronnie only ever played when he was pissed out of his head in the Faces and could still do remarkably well..I cant think of a tour when either ROn or Keith weren't heavily under the influence of something throughout the 70's, 80's and some of the 90's.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: April 30, 2011 00:36

No Going to a Go Go?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 30, 2011 01:02

Stoneage
Mick wanted to kick Ronnie out of the band due to his incapacity of playing and wanted to have Rory instead. Infact Mick initially didn't want to do the 1981 tour at all. Like he doesn't want anymore. The spirit between Mick and Keith already in 1981 was very low.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 30, 2011 01:09

One thing , hopefully overlooked: Start Me Up at Hampton maybe one of the best versions!!

Date: April 30, 2011 01:47

mtaylor
Mick wanted to kick Ronnie out of the band due to his incapacity of playing and wanted to have Rory instead. Infact Mick initially didn't want to do the 1981 tour at all. Like he doesn't want anymore. The spirit between Mick and Keith already in 1981 was very low.

Mick is blamed for splitting up the band. But if you look at it closer you can really understand why. Imagine having to deal with two addicts on stage every tour.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: April 30, 2011 02:09

Under My Thumb from LSTNT absolutely buries the Hampton version. Dunno why Hampton is generally preferred to LSTNT, it's rough as balls.

Date: April 30, 2011 02:18

WorriedAboutYou
Under My Thumb from LSTNT absolutely buries the Hampton version. Dunno why Hampton is generally preferred to LSTNT, it's rough as balls.

Do not agree with you. The Hampton version is sloppy in the beginning but evolves very well with Perkins' great bassplaying in the end. I only have a VHS of the LSTNT and the sound is very weak on it. Always prefered Hampton to LSTNT.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: April 30, 2011 02:33

Good old Freddy Sessler is all over the video,wonder what is he carrying in his shoulder bag?winking smiley

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 30, 2011 02:34

"The Hampton version is sloppy in the beginning but evolves very well"

Yes it happened quite often in 81. A rough beginning then then the band finds itself and the rest of the song rocks!

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: April 30, 2011 02:36

mtaylor
Stoneage

But remember...Mick still did a lot of coke, so who was he to judge?

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: April 30, 2011 02:47

Mickijaggeroo
But remember...Mick still did a lot of coke, so who was he to judge?

Sure, but you could always count on Mick, Bill and Charlie: they always (well,almost always) delivered on stage and seldom made fool of themselves. That's the difference I think.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 30, 2011 12:47

rollmops
Ron was really waisted during that show but he still was able to play although he was barely able to stand up.

I think I am watching a different show then. On my version of Hampton Wood is absolutely on top of his game, and not drunk or anything like that. No one is, for that matter.

Mathijs

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 30, 2011 13:40

Bill is really great

Date: April 30, 2011 13:50

Mathijs
I think I am watching a different show then. On my version of Hampton Wood is absolutely on top of his game, and not drunk or anything like that. No one is, for that matter.

You are quite right, Mathijs. Ronnie does a fine job even though he isn't exactly sober. Keith throws away a couple of bum solos though, in Beast of Burden and JMImagination I think. Hampton is a good show but needs some heavy editing (some songs goes on far too long).

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: April 30, 2011 17:28

The beauty of Hampton, in my opinion, is that it isn't edited. The lengthy jams almost always kick absolute ass with the band gaining ferocity throughout the songs. (See Imagination, Let Me Go, Beast of Burden, Waiting on a Friend, Let it Bleed, YCAGWYW, Miss You.) I can't think of a better document of a tour than the complete Hampton show. The sound quality, video quality and lack of editing actually show the band as it was in 1981; not as they wished to be perceived for commercial reasons.

Date: April 30, 2011 17:54

Normally I would agree with you, Vermontoffender. But the parts when Keith goes out in the audience and plays some pretty horrendous "solos" are a bit too much for me. He isn't even synched with the band on stage during those parts. Ernie Watts really saves the songs on those parts with his steady sax-playing. Otherwise it's a great concert.

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: May 1, 2011 12:21

Hampton '81 is my favourite Stones gig ever. Also, my favourite Beast Of Burden, Under My Thumb, Let's Spend The Night Together and Let It Bleed. I have no complaints about this gig what so ever. Someone needs to liberate the tape from Wolfgangs Vault so we can all upgrade our Jointrip versions!!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 1, 2011 13:39

Is there a CD only version available, I've only found copies with the video.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: May 1, 2011 17:45

On which song does Keith go out into the audience and solo?

Date: May 1, 2011 18:40

Just my imagination is one. Perhaps there are more, I can't remember the whole concert.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 1, 2011 22:13

Stoneage
Normally I would agree with you, Vermontoffender. But the parts when Keith goes out in the audience and plays some pretty horrendous "solos" are a bit too much for me. He isn't even synched with the band on stage during those parts. Ernie Watts really saves the songs on those parts with his steady sax-playing. Otherwise it's a great concert.

Apart from YCAGWYW, Keith doesn't leave the main stage.

Mathijs

Date: May 1, 2011 22:29

I stand corrected. "You can't always get..." is the one. He plays a couple of, in my opinion, bad solos more in that concert but they are, as you point out, on the main stage. Can't complain about Ronnies' effort though (even though he is clearly intoxicated...).

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: May 2, 2011 05:02

What's the deal with Bill in that clip?
I saw him walking around a few times and even playing on the opposite side of the stage from his normal spot on Keith's side.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: May 2, 2011 05:22

The Hampton '81 versions of Imagination, Beast of Burden, Waiting on a Friend, Let It Bleed, and Miss You are the Stones at the absolute top of their game, playing songs that fit their sound and mindset at that time. That goes for the music and the performances.

Under My Thumb, Let Me Go, and Honky Tonk Women are good, too, but to me not quite at the same level as those others.

That said, I actually prefer either much earlier or later versions of JJF, Satisfaction, and YCAGWYW.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2059
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home