Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Recommend me three stoner albums
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 24, 2012 10:45

Ladies & Gentlemen we Are Floating In Space - Spiritualised

Dark Side of The Moon - Pink Floyd

Satanic Majesties - Stones

Posted by: rpc2uk ()
Date: May 24, 2012 10:54

Twelve Dreams Of Dr Sardonicus - Spirit
Solid Air - John Martin
LC - The Durutti Column

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 24, 2012 10:54

One I think has been missed, but I've always found to be extremely engaging when under the influence of THC is Steve Miller's 'Fly Like an Eagle' a record which was largely recorded with huge amounts of cocaine but really does the trick if you listen stoned. Try it, you won't be disappointed!

Date: May 24, 2012 11:18

Are you thinking of the musical style, Stoner Rock, perhaps?

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: May 24, 2012 12:15

Get a few of the Trojan box sets.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: May 24, 2012 12:18

Sticky Fingers (Sway and Moonlight Mile "work" perfectly)!

Date: May 24, 2012 12:35

What are you getting high on?

Posted by: kingkirby ()
Date: May 24, 2012 12:39

Silver Dagger
The Pretty Things - SF Sorrow. Psychedelic beyond belief. It'll take you out to where the buses don't run. But be careful, things could get a little freaky on the way. Made the journey many times but always got home OK. cool smiley

Another vote for this! If it gets too freaky, fire up their follow-up album, Parachute, which is equally brilliant. A sadly neglected band...

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: May 24, 2012 12:46

Black Uhuru by Black Uhuru..Track 1, Shine Eye Gal features KR i believe. Best Reggae album ever.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 24, 2012 14:36

The first 7 Moody Blues albums

Date: May 24, 2012 15:28

You've all hopelessly failed the Higher Stoner Studies course by failing to mention the most monstrously heavy stoner album of all time - brown noise, white noise, and all the colours of the rainbow in between. I am, of course, talking about Hawkwind's Space Ritual - the best live rock n roll album ever released, and the best stoner experience bar none - take it from Lemmy - 'take a couple of acid tabs, heat up some hot oil, put on Space Ritual and you'll get an idea of what it was like....'

Hawkwind doc explains all -

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 24, 2012 15:31

Date: May 24, 2012 15:44

1-the druids of the stonehenge-the druids of the stonhengesmoking smiley
2-Peter Ivers- Terminal lovesmoking smiley
3-The velvet underground-banana coversmoking smiley
Puff it up and enjoy

Bonus puff:
4-David Peel and the lower eastside-have a marijuanasmoking smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 24, 2012 16:39

That should do it :

(look at the face of the singer at 0:35...) grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-24 16:41 by dcba.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 24, 2012 16:50

The Pod, Pure Guava and The Mollusk by Ween

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: May 24, 2012 16:56

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 24, 2012 17:03

As has been said, can't go wrong with dub reggae (King Tubby, Niney The Observer, Augustus Pablo et al.) for pure chill factor. Same of course for golden age roots reggae (1969-1985).

For more 1990s stoner rock:

Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley
Monster Magnet - Spine of God
Black Crowes- Amorica

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 24, 2012 17:30

andrewt
As has been said, can't go wrong with dub reggae (King Tubby, Niney The Observer, Augustus Pablo et al.) for pure chill factor. Same of course for golden age roots reggae (1969-1985).

Hi Andrew, I always thought the golden age of reggae ended in the early 80s with the first few Black Uhuru albums. Love to be recommended some that harken back to that great 70s roots sound. For me reggae died when dancehall came in.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: May 24, 2012 17:58

Great early stoner rock albums:

Black Sabbath - Master of Reality (1971)

Captain Beyond - Captain Beyond (1972)

Leaf Hound - Growers of Mushroom (1971)

Blue Cheer - Vincebus Eruptum (1968)

Sir Lord Baltimore - Kingdom Come (1970)

Budgie - Budgie (1971)

Date: May 24, 2012 18:00

Silver Dagger
andrewt

Hi Andrew, I always thought the golden age of reggae ended in the early 80s with the first few Black Uhuru albums. Love to be recommended some that harken back to that great 70s roots sound. For me reggae died when dancehall came in.

Well there was some overlap, I'd say some early dancehall is roots-dancehall, until the late 80's when ragga and digital took over. For 70's albums off the top of my head, Max Romeo's "War Ina Babylon", The Gladiators "Proverbial REggae", Burning Spear's "Hail H.I.M", I-Roys "presenting I-Roy", Joe Higgs "Life Of Contradiction", Dennis Brown's "Just Dennis, Freddie McGregor's "Bobby Bobylon". But 70s reggae was mainly a 45rpm singles medium so compilations from Studios such as Studio One & Joe Gibbs and labels like Trojan, Randy's, Island etc. are really good. If you want to go deep check out the youtube channel [www.youtube.com] for vintage Lee Perry productions.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 24, 2012 18:55

andrewt
Silver Dagger
andrewt

Well there was some overlap, I'd say some early dancehall is roots-dancehall, until the late 80's when ragga and digital took over. For 70's albums off the top of my head, Max Romeo's "War Ina Babylon", The Gladiators "Proverbial REggae", Burning Spear's "Hail H.I.M", I-Roys "presenting I-Roy", Joe Higgs "Life Of Contradiction", Dennis Brown's "Just Dennis, Freddie McGregor's "Bobby Bobylon". But 70s reggae was mainly a 45rpm singles medium so compilations from Studios such as Studio One & Joe Gibbs and labels like Trojan, Randy's, Island etc. are really good. If you want to go deep check out the youtube channel [www.youtube.com] for vintage Lee Perry productions.

Great stuff. I have about 100 reggae albums including the Max Romeo, Burning Spear, Gladiators that you mentioned but not the others. So will check them out. On that tip I like The Twinkle Brothers, Wailing Souls, Bunny Wailer, African Dub (especially Chapter 3), Johnny Clarke and others.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 24, 2012 19:03

1. Dark Side of the Moon - Pink FLoyd
2. Blues for Allah - Gratefl Dead
3. Eat a Peach - The Allman Brothers Band

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: varv ()
Date: May 24, 2012 19:06

Black Mass-Lucifer-will be reissued on cd next month on Amazon!
Zero Time-Tonto's Expanding Headband
No Pussyfooting-Fripp and Eno

I have to add one bonus track by Godley and Creme called I Pity Inanimate Objects.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: May 24, 2012 19:10

DiscoVolante
Primal Scream - Screamadelica

It's the best album ever made. You would love it if you love the Stones, and you would love it even more if you love to get high.

YES - especially this riff right here - it's my ringtone and i LOVE IT!
[snd.sc]

I have to say I tend to listen to Give Up But Don't Give Out more than Screamadelica.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Date: May 24, 2012 19:38

Silver Dagger
andrewt
Silver Dagger
andrewt

Great stuff. I have about 100 reggae albums including the Max Romeo, Burning Spear, Gladiators that you mentioned but not the others. So will check them out. On that tip I like The Twinkle Brothers, Wailing Souls, Bunny Wailer, African Dub (especially Chapter 3), Johnny Clarke and others.

Twinle Brothers - new to me - very nice. Some top tunes there.

Date: May 24, 2012 19:40

dcba
That should do it :

(look at the face of the singer at 0:35...) grinning smiley

You got it, dcba.

Reggae, Beatles and Stones have nothing to do with Stoner-albums smiling smiley

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: May 24, 2012 19:58

Todd Rundgren - A Wizard A True Star
Genesis - Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Pink Floyd - Meddle

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 24, 2012 20:13

Anything by Dead Meadow. Be careful where you end up treading though!

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: May 24, 2012 21:03

custom55
Todd Rundgren - A Wizard A True Star

Second Recc for this one: Excellent. Todd Rundgren - Todd ain't too bad neither.

Re: Recommend me Three Stones albums
Date: May 24, 2012 22:41

In my humble opinion I would suggest Made in the shade....

Then follow the other advices.

Good luck

(I do not know wether you know the world you are going to discover....)

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1548
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home