Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: 1981
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 21, 2011 16:50

Redhotcarpet
Sleepy City
treaclefingers
Loved them for that tour, but the Jagger barking vocal was annoying...I especially thought they slaughtered Satisfaction.

I agree, but I thought the slurred & growly "singing" he used circa 1975 was even worse.

I think youre wrong, the 1975 voice was not always growly and it was more black. I like his 1975 voice, just listen to IFCRM or Wild Horses or SFTD. You gotta move. (no not you! the song was great, the way they sang it)

I had a problem with the double 'Honky Tonk' Women, as opposed to the singular.
More barking vs. singing!

Posted by: britstones ()
Date: April 21, 2011 17:41

I've gotta admit I've got a soft spot for the 81 tour. Its what I grew up with. Lets Spend The Night Together was all I had for a live visual experience of the Stones for years. My Hampton tape was the best video boot I had for years.The other boot vhs tapes I eventually aquired (Ladies & Gentlemen & Paris 76) were generations away from pristine, visually and soundwise. Bill Wyman's playing on almost any recording of that tour I've heard is nothing short of phenomonal.

Date: April 21, 2011 18:09

brianwalker
pgarof
Seen them on all tours since 71, When they played the MNews arena and Wembley arena in 2003 they were definatly NOT vegas, they were raw and at their best.

hot smiley

The Vegas stuff on this board is over the top.

I saw them in 1981 and they sucked. As far as I am concerned 81 was nothing but a blown opportunity. This was the Stones at their most famous, and most popular. The eyes of the world was on them like it never was before, they had no competition anymore, and they laid an egg. They played way to fast, the sound was way too thin, and they butchered their own songs. . I don't think there was one song from that tour that was played as good on stage then it was on record, except for JMI. Plus Jagger was unwatchable on that tour. After that although I loved their albums I thought they were nothing but hype as a live act.

Then I saw them in 1989 in Toronto, and they destroyed. It was the best concert I ever saw. The whole band was on fire from the opening note to the end of the concert. Night and day from 81. The crowd was going crazy from the first song, unlike 1981 when everyone was bored to death. Look at the videos of 1981/82. You can see the dissappointment in the crowd. The only Stones tour I have ever seen where the crowd bored and uninterested.

I saw them again in 1994 and while not as good as 1989 it was still 100 times better then 1981, and it was nothing like Vegas.

You can go on and on about how much you like that it was just the Stones on stage in 1981, but what was coming out of the speakers wasn't good at all. I went to the concert with many people and they all agreed with exactly what I am saying. The movie of the tour confirmed it also.

Wow, you must have catched a bad show in 81! ut to generalise, and say that 81 sucked is wrong, imo. Especially when we got the dvds and boots to prove it.

There is no butchering in Hampton, just as there were bad 89 shows as well.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 21, 2011 19:11

Of course the Still Life tour is flawed in many ways: the guitarwork is uneven (to put it mildly), Jagger barks (cocaine?, at least he's not nasal), the "Tattoo You" songs are weak live, the show speeds up to much in the latter third and so on. The sad thing when Jagger tried to fix these flaws prior to the 89' comeback is that the "soul" of the Rolling Stones music somewhat disappeared

Posted by: CrissCrossMind ()
Date: April 21, 2011 19:20

The Stones were at their best in the late 60's and 70's. I saw many LA area shows (at least 2 per tour) from 1969 to 1999. Like I said 1969 to 1978 were the best. 81 was all 80's pastels and Jane Fonda's work out tapes... Notice all the "Dark" songs were left off the set list in 1981? No Sympathy, Shelter, Rambler, Stray Cat, etc - all bubble gum and cotton candy....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-21 19:59 by CrissCrossMind.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 21, 2011 19:40

brianwalker
pgarof
Seen them on all tours since 71, When they played the MNews arena and Wembley arena in 2003 they were definatly NOT vegas, they were raw and at their best.

hot smiley

The Vegas stuff on this board is over the top.

I saw them in 1981 and they sucked. As far as I am concerned 81 was nothing but a blown opportunity. This was the Stones at their most famous, and most popular. The eyes of the world was on them like it never was before, they had no competition anymore, and they laid an egg. They played way to fast, the sound was way too thin, and they butchered their own songs. . I don't think there was one song from that tour that was played as good on stage then it was on record, except for JMI. Plus Jagger was unwatchable on that tour. After that although I loved their albums I thought they were nothing but hype as a live act.

Then I saw them in 1989 in Toronto, and they destroyed. It was the best concert I ever saw. The whole band was on fire from the opening note to the end of the concert. Night and day from 81. The crowd was going crazy from the first song, unlike 1981 when everyone was bored to death. Look at the videos of 1981/82. You can see the dissappointment in the crowd. The only Stones tour I have ever seen where the crowd bored and uninterested.

I saw them again in 1994 and while not as good as 1989 it was still 100 times better then 1981, and it was nothing like Vegas.

You can go on and on about how much you like that it was just the Stones on stage in 1981, but what was coming out of the speakers wasn't good at all. I went to the concert with many people and they all agreed with exactly what I am saying. The movie of the tour confirmed it also.

Great post. I couldn't agree more!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 21, 2011 19:42

81 was an embarrasment.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 21, 2011 19:51

the last great, honest stones rock'n'roll tour. never to be heard or seen again.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 21, 2011 19:56

StonesTod
the last great, honest stones rock'n'roll tour. never to be heard or seen again.

...untill 1982.

Posted by: CrissCrossMind ()
Date: April 21, 2011 19:58

StonesTod
I don't know, Jagger in a stupid American Football outfit... let's say 1978 was the last great one....

Date: April 21, 2011 20:08

CrissCrossMind
StonesTod
I don't know, Jagger in a stupid American Football outfit... let's say 1978 was the last great one....

costumes notwithstanding....and jagger looked pretty stupid in '78, too...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 21, 2011 20:14

Orlando 1981 was my first Stones show - wish I was back there right now!

Date: April 21, 2011 20:16

Erik_Snow
StonesTod

...untill 1982.

you folks in europe feel so left out all the time, don't you?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 21, 2011 20:30

StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod

...untill 1982.

All of us europeans are stuck here only because grandparents couldn't afford the boat-ticket in previous centuries. And now it's too late - we'd be completely lost over there with those skyscrapers....hamburgers.....hawaiian shirts....and self driven wagons - isn't 'car' the term you use...?

Date: April 21, 2011 20:33

Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod

...untill 1982.

All of us europeans are stuck here only because grandparents couldn't afford the boat-ticket in previous centuries. And now it's too late - we'd be completely lost over there with those skyscrapers....hamburgers.....hawaiian shirts....and self driven wagons - isn't 'car' the term you use...?

car is so 20th century. wheels is the more modern term.

yeah, i feel for you. but at least your grandparents didn't get in dutch with the law and get shipped to aussie-land or something horrendous like that.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 21, 2011 21:25

King George sent my ancestors over here (Georgia, USA) to get 'em out of English prisons! We've always been deadbeats! LOL

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 21, 2011 22:44

show some video proof of the crowd being bored in 81-82, every stadium show was packed to the rafters with 90k plus in many cities, they couldnt do that now if their lives depended on it

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 21, 2011 23:15

I like the 81 version of the band but I don't agree with the original post in this thread, all those other eras are part of "the stones" too.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 21, 2011 23:18

'81 was fantastic. Sure, the first couple of shows where terrible (how dare people stand totally unrehearsed in front of 90K people is beyond me), and some shows indeed where completely coked up. And, we know about most shows because we have terrible sounding mono soundboards of them -and this spoils a lot of fun. These boards sound terrible, thin and trebly. Listen to the same show but now audience recording and you will hear a fantastic show. Sure, Jagger's dress is weird (even though in retrospect he looked weirder in '72, with that Elvis jumpsuit), but show me one good looking band from '81.

Still, to date, '81 Stones is my definition of the Stones. Beast of Burden from the Let's Spend movie still is my benchmark of what R&R should be, and Hampton remains the best ever gig the Stones have ever given. With funny clothes and all.

Mathijs

Posted by: brianwalker ()
Date: April 21, 2011 23:45

melillo
show some video proof of the crowd being bored in 81-82, every stadium show was packed to the rafters with 90k plus in many cities, they couldnt do that now if their lives depended on it

The tickets were bought before the concerts.

Here are a few, one from 1982 also. The music didn't cut it in these tours.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 22, 2011 00:03

I disagree the crowd looks pretty entertained IMO, and i understand the tix are bought in advance but my point about the attendance was that they dont pack stadiums like that anymore

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: April 22, 2011 00:36

melillo
I disagree the crowd looks pretty entertained IMO, and i understand the tix are bought in advance but my point about the attendance was that they dont pack stadiums like that anymore

then you should have been in Lausanne 2007. Way too many people in a small stadium. And not even one wave-breaker (is that the correct word?)

Posted by: dj ()
Date: April 22, 2011 00:45

Great post. I'm inclined to agree.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: April 22, 2011 01:04

89-90 Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle was the last great tour...Keith could still play...since then it's become less hit and more miss.

Posted by: donteverstop ()
Date: April 22, 2011 01:06

81-82 was Charlie & Bill at their best.

Can't forget about Stu either.

Fantastic tour.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: April 22, 2011 01:19

Funny, I was thinkin' about the Waiting On A Friend video too a couple of days ago - and how it made me believe that everything was alright in Stonesland at the time ... however, I only learned about the tensions between Mick and Keith a couple of years later ... how they could barely work togther anymore ... and had to dig up outtakes from recent years to complete an album called Tattoo You ... their last classic longplayer ... and how clever Tattoo You managed to hide the fact that creatively, the Stones as a band hit the bottom at the time. Then again, there's no business like show business - never trust a music video!

Posted by: brianwalker ()
Date: April 22, 2011 01:22

melillo

Are you serious? Except for the ones reacting when jagger gets right in front of them ( visual ) they are acting like they are waiting for a meeting to start. Here is another one.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: April 22, 2011 01:32

Maybe they are looking on in amazement at how Keith is spot on with his licks...killer stuff that is soon to be history at that point.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: April 22, 2011 01:38

I saw the Stones for the first time in 1982, two shows, sound should have been better, but it was good enough. Moore from Rotterdam :

81/82, best Stones ever!!

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Virgin Priest ()
Date: April 22, 2011 17:52

Thank you all, interesting posts!

But I didn´t want to restart the discussion about Is-the-Vegas-Era-good-or-bad.

Is saw six concerts since 1990, most of them were great. Esp. Düsseldorf 1998 was a hell of a concert!!

My message in my original post was: the 1981-Stones are the most fascinating (to me), because they make a very timeless appearance.

Don't need a whore
I don't need no booze
Don't need a virgin priest
But I need someone I can cry to
I need someone to protect
Making love and breaking hearts
It is a game for youth
But I'm not waiting on a lady
I'm just waiting on a friend

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1843
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home