Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: If you do love Goddess in the doorway, thank's to write just a word here ...
Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: April 18, 2011 14:31

For my Money 'God Gave Me Everything' is an absolute 100% killer track. Play it load and rock out every time I play it.

most of the songs on the album I would be honestly embarrassed to play in front of a lot of my mates when we're partying, but that one goes down an absolute storm with my mates, bearing in mind that most of em are long haired, festival going rockers and bikers. That one tune really gets the room going.

Might not be sedate enough for many on here, but i love it and so do my chinas, but the same can be said for You Got Me rocking, and i know that about as popular here as a turd in a swimming pool. But hey, if it works with a bunch of near neanderthals then it's gotta be tapping into our base primal urges right.

Right now i gotta urge to do some rockin!!

\m/

'Blue's' good too, and just to make me even more unpopular and discredit my taste even more, I even rate 'Joy' highly with boner!

Re: If you do love Goddess in the doorway, thank's to write just a word here ...
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 18, 2011 15:04

I've always fancied it. Don't Call Me up is great, but Everyone Getting High is my favorite. Never understood the abuse it takes, but then I've never thought that Talk is Cheap is superior to Mean Offender either......

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: April 18, 2011 15:40

VoodooLounge13
I've always fancied it. Don't Call Me up is great, but Everyone Getting High is my favorite. Never understood the abuse it takes, but then I've never thought that Talk is Cheap is superior to Mean Offender either......

I'd agree about Main Offender being better than Talk is Cheap.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: April 18, 2011 16:17

A very underrated album. Up there with Wandering Spirit in my book. I agree with Monkeytonkman about God Gave Me Everything, it makes your blood pulse like a gorilla on heat. I really like Joy too & Gun & also the hypnotic vibe of Godess.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 18, 2011 17:20

"blue" is the one saving grace for an otherwise disgraceful album...and "blue" isn't even on it...

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: April 18, 2011 19:16

Main Offender gets my vote too!!thumbs up

Keep on rockin'

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: April 18, 2011 21:45

I know that everything is subjective and in the end it's all about personal taste but I don't GET how anyone can't like at least a FEW Tracks on this cd! MAIN OFFENDER and TALK IS CHEAP are really favored over GODDESS!?? I just don't get that.

Date: April 18, 2011 21:55

mickschix
I know that everything is subjective and in the end it's all about personal taste but I don't GET how anyone can't like at least a FEW Tracks on this cd! MAIN OFFENDER and TALK IS CHEAP are really favored over GODDESS!?? I just don't get that.

you love mick

Date: April 18, 2011 22:01

Well that's a fact ! So the real truth here is Keith lovers can't like a Mick solo cd and vice versa? If I honestly liked Keith's solo cds I would say so. I know I do lay it on a bit heavy when comparing Keith to Mick but I do it to get reactions more than anything, and it usually works. I think that Keith's solo work is very Stones-like except the vocals are bad and the lyrics not so good. Mick's solo cds are perhaps too unlike the Stones music to appeal to some Stones fans.

Date: April 18, 2011 23:27

mickschix
Well that's a fact ! So the real truth here is Keith lovers can't like a Mick solo cd and vice versa? If I honestly liked Keith's solo cds I would say so. I know I do lay it on a bit heavy when comparing Keith to Mick but I do it to get reactions more than anything, and it usually works. I think that Keith's solo work is very Stones-like except the vocals are bad and the lyrics not so good. Mick's solo cds are perhaps too unlike the Stones music to appeal to some Stones fans.

what about us blondie-lovers?

Date: April 19, 2011 01:54

Ruby Friday
No problem with that..I love the album, not my favoritt, but still a decent good one, Micks second best solo album,
but the picture on the cover ? I think Mick looks very young again ! The man can't be over his 30 ties !

Haha...yes I remember seeing the album for the first time, and the covershot is very flattering; to say the least.

So nobody will remark on the chorus-es of
Dont Call Me Up
Dont Tear me Up
Already over Me ?

I would even add "Blinded by Rainbows" in there. You can even forget about the chords; it doesn't matter. It is the very same pattern, rhythm.

Posted by: Handova ()
Date: April 19, 2011 11:39

Never really bothered sitting down and taking a listen to the album. I have nothing against it, but I'm pretty comfortable skiping that one, don't know why.

Date: April 19, 2011 11:44

Palace Revolution 2000
Ruby Friday
No problem with that..I love the album, not my favoritt, but still a decent good one, Micks second best solo album,
but the picture on the cover ? I think Mick looks very young again ! The man can't be over his 30 ties !

Haha...yes I remember seeing the album for the first time, and the covershot is very flattering; to say the least.

So nobody will remark on the chorus-es of
Dont Call Me Up
Dont Tear me Up
Already over Me ?

I would even add "Blinded by Rainbows" in there. You can even forget about the chords; it doesn't matter. It is the very same pattern, rhythm.

Actually, no. Not the same chords, not even the same pattern. Already Over Me has the same chord pattern as Torn And Frayed, though - but the resemblance stops there, imo.

Don't Tear Me Up has a funky/rocking twist to it, while the other two are more ballad-like.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 19, 2011 15:40

mickschix

Well, no, I like the solo albums of both Keith and Mick, but I do agree that Keith's are much more in the Stones vein than Mick's - similar I guess to the battle they fight each time they try and record a Stones record: Keith wants rock, Mick always wants to go with seems to be trending....

I love Wandering Spirit and Goddess comes in second, and I do love me some Primitive Cool! She's the Boss, for me, is the only Mick album that I generally skip. As for Keith's few albums, Main Offender blows away Talk Is Cheap, IMO, and when comparing the best of the solo output, I think Main Offender outdoes Wandering Spirit, but that's just my taste. That's all that I was trying to say really. To me, Main Offender is the warm up for Voodoo Lounge, and I absolutely LOVE it. There is probably no solo album that gets played as much as that one. In fact, speaking of Blondie, his Between Us album probably ranks second in terms of # of plays at my house - I absolutely LOVE that album as well. A really phenomenal album, start to finish!!

Date: April 19, 2011 15:45

VoodooLounge13
mickschix

Well, no, I like the solo albums of both Keith and Mick, but I do agree that Keith's are much more in the Stones vein than Mick's - similar I guess to the battle they fight each time they try and record a Stones record: Keith wants rock, Mick always wants to go with seems to be trending....

I love Wandering Spirit and Goddess comes in second, and I do love me some Primitive Cool! She's the Boss, for me, is the only Mick album that I generally skip. As for Keith's few albums, Main Offender blows away Talk Is Cheap, IMO, and when comparing the best of the solo output, I think Main Offender outdoes Wandering Spirit, but that's just my taste. That's all that I was trying to say really. To me, Main Offender is the warm up for Voodoo Lounge, and I absolutely LOVE it. There is probably no solo album that gets played as much as that one. In fact, speaking of Blondie, his Between Us album probably ranks second in terms of # of plays at my house - I absolutely LOVE that album as well. A really phenomenal album, start to finish!!

Between Us is spinning here right now. It's a great, great album. Can't follow you on Main Offender being better than Talk Is Cheap, though. MO is too uneven, imo. However, the best songs on MO are probably of a higher level than that of TIC.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 19, 2011 16:10

DandelionPowderman
Can't follow you on Main Offender being better than Talk Is Cheap, though. MO is too uneven, imo. However, the best songs on MO are probably of a higher level than that of TIC.

Completely agree with you on that.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 19, 2011 16:30

The main issue I have with Mick's solo works is how they sound. Goddess is no exception.

Keith's work shows a huge attention to details. The layers of guitars, the dynamics, the arrangements, the room, the amps etc. When he can't do something himself, he hires musicians who care, whith a history that gives a sense of purpose to the addition, and let them do their thing. The results - soundwise - are always nothing less than stunning.

Mick's focus must be somewhere else. The big names that appear in the credits remain big names in the credits. Their contribution is nothing more than what any session man could do. She's the Boss has a stellar lineup, but it sounds just like 1,000 other works of the time. It lacks guts. There was a boot of a rehearsal between Jagger, Beck, Whimbish and can't remember who else, the one with Gangster Moll. Unpolished, each musician had his own set up, the set up they crafted, that represent what they love in music. The result was PERSONALITY. All whased away from the final Primitive Cool ...

Goddess is even worse, because it is mostly a computer job. Computers are great for electronic music, but they are shit in a rock and roll context. I mean, just compare Jagger's tone on Stop Breaking Down, Sway, Fingerprint File, even the recent ABB ... with the awful plastic sounds of God Gave Me ...

C

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 19, 2011 16:38

Yeah Keiths solo-albums is for guitar-freaks..I love them being one...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: April 19, 2011 17:00

I've skipped to the end of this thread - but I like the album and especially Brand New Set of Rules and God Gave Me Everything. More to the point I like that Mick's not happy unless he's doing something, and same can be said of Ronnie and Charlie

Date: April 19, 2011 17:37

liddas
The main issue I have with Mick's solo works is how they sound. Goddess is no exception.

Keith's work shows a huge attention to details. The layers of guitars, the dynamics, the arrangements, the room, the amps etc. When he can't do something himself, he hires musicians who care, whith a history that gives a sense of purpose to the addition, and let them do their thing. The results - soundwise - are always nothing less than stunning.

Mick's focus must be somewhere else. The big names that appear in the credits remain big names in the credits. Their contribution is nothing more than what any session man could do. She's the Boss has a stellar lineup, but it sounds just like 1,000 other works of the time. It lacks guts. There was a boot of a rehearsal between Jagger, Beck, Whimbish and can't remember who else, the one with Gangster Moll. Unpolished, each musician had his own set up, the set up they crafted, that represent what they love in music. The result was PERSONALITY. All whased away from the final Primitive Cool ...

Goddess is even worse, because it is mostly a computer job. Computers are great for electronic music, but they are shit in a rock and roll context. I mean, just compare Jagger's tone on Stop Breaking Down, Sway, Fingerprint File, even the recent ABB ... with the awful plastic sounds of God Gave Me ...

C

The problems with some of Jagger's solo work are well understood. There are also quite a few stellar moments but the dislike for Jagger is so intense on this board and so well chronicled by a handful of frequent posters that at this point, it is not even worth reasonably debating what is good and what is bad with respect to Jagger's solo work. For the most part there are brilliant moments, some truly execrable ones and some mediocrity.

In terms of Keith's solo work, there is nothing that suggests any attention to detail. Au contraire, they sound like the work of a complete amateur. He released two albums worth of outtakes - between the 2 albums there are a handful of unfinished gems. There are no stellar moments though some excellent half baked ideas still in the oven; the output reveals that he has no ability to create or develop a song. Then there is his god awful singing (if that's what it's called). His albums clarify that for Keith, playing guitar has been a hobby since 73. He simply has not worked on his skills or attempted to develop or extend either his playing or his song writing and composing skills.

Jagger's solo albums point to all the things Jagger is capable of and can do well. They also point to what Jagger should not do. His solo albums provide an adequate summary of who Jagger is - a frustrating "works-in progress" despite ~ 50 years in the music industry; some one who vacillates from brilliance to appalling. Even in his assessment of Jagger, Keith, in his typical half-assed fashion, got it only partially right with respect to Jagger - Jagger lost that feeling that was so appealing but not completely - there are still hints of it everywhere.

Keith's albums point to his insufficient ability and all the things that he is incapable of doing and cannot do - create and develop complete songs that go beyond a recycled riff. Lyrically, he continues to wallow in adolescent trappings. He efforts show no commitment or dedication to completion. Jagger in his assessment of Keith, got it fully right. Richards does things by halves. Keith's albums also amply demonstrate who Richards is - a half baked rhythm guitarist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-19 17:57 by wanderingspirit66.

Date: April 19, 2011 17:47

wanderingspirit66
liddas

C

The problems with some of Jagger's solo work are well understood. There are also quite a few stellar moments but the dislike for Jagger is so intense on this board and so well chronicled by a handful of frequent posters that at this point, it is not even worth reasonably debating what is good and what is bad with respect to Jagger's solo work. For the most part there are brilliant moments, some truly execrable ones and some mediocrity.

In terms of Keith's solo work, there is nothing that suggests any attention to detail. Au contraire, they sound like the work of a complete amateur. He released two albums worth of outtakes - between the 2 albums there are a handful of unfinished gems. There are no stellar moments though some excellent half baked ideas still in the oven; the output reveals that he has no ability to create or develop a song. Then there is his god awful singing (if that's what it's called). His albums clarify that for Keith, playing guitar has been a hobby since 73. He simply has not worked on his skills or attempted to develop or extend either his playing or his song writing and composing skills.

Jagger's solo albums point to all the things Jagger is capable of and can do well. They also point to what Jagger should not do. His solo albums provide an adequate summary of who Jagger is - a frustrating "works-in progress" despite ~ 50 years in the music industry; some one who vacillates from brilliance to appalling. Even in his assessment of Jagger, Keith, in his typical half-assed fashion, got it only partially right with respect to Jagger - Jagger lost that feeling that was so appealing but not completely - there are still hints of it everywhere.

Keith's albums point to his insufficient ability and all the things that he is incapable of doing and cannot do - create and develop complete songs that go beyond a recycled riff. He efforts show no commitment or dedication to completion. Jagger in his assessment of Keith, got it fully right. Richards does things by halves. Keith's albums also amply demonstrate who Richards is - a half baked rhythm guitarist.

you know something? i think we oughta introduce this jagger guy to this richards dude and i'm wondering if between them they could use their respective strengths to produce something truly magical. maybe toss in a throw-back jazz-oriented drummer and a decent lead guitarist and a lyrical bass player?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-19 17:49 by StonesTod.

Date: April 19, 2011 18:01

StonesTod
wanderingspirit66
liddas

C

Keith's albums point to his insufficient ability and all the things that he is incapable of doing and cannot do - create and develop complete songs that go beyond a recycled riff. He efforts show no commitment or dedication to completion. Jagger in his assessment of Keith, got it fully right. Richards does things by halves. Keith's albums also amply demonstrate who Richards is - a half baked rhythm guitarist.

you know something? i think we oughta introduce this jagger guy to this richards dude and i'm wondering if between them they could use their respective strengths to produce something truly magical. maybe toss in a throw-back jazz-oriented drummer and a decent lead guitarist and a lyrical bass player?

Certainly agree on this

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: April 19, 2011 18:40

Goddess is a great solo album of Mick's

The ones he did in the 80ies are awful, but Goddess and Wandering Spirit are pretty good IMO.
They sometimes sound like a Stones album shouldn't sound but it works good as a solo effort.

I would be curious to hear some of these songs performed and rearranged by the Stones, i.e. with Keith's active contribution but this will never happen !

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 19, 2011 19:26

wanderingspirit66

Thank god its Mick who gets bashed here!

C

Date: April 20, 2011 00:53

I agree, Doc; I'd love to hear the Stones performing some of Goddess and Wandering Spirit, and yes, I'd love to hear Mick doing the vocals on a few of Keith's best solo tunes! How awesome that would be!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 20, 2011 00:56

YEAH .......Mick hammering out You Don't Move Me would be a friggin' laugh .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: April 20, 2011 03:18

I have the CD but I cannot remember the last time I listened to it....probably the week I purchased it.

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: April 20, 2011 11:11

I love Don't Call Me Up and Too Far Gone. The rest are ok, but I actually like She's the boss, Primitive Cool and Wandering spirit better.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: April 20, 2011 12:26

Of course it doesn't match Wandering sprit, but it's his second best. I listen to it regularly - the first seven tracks that is. These seven tracks are rather magnificent - and marks an interesting difference to Stones-output. I think Goddess is a brave experiment - and yes much underrated.

Date: April 20, 2011 13:14

wanderingspirit66
liddas

C

Keith's albums point to his insufficient ability and all the things that he is incapable of doing and cannot do - create and develop complete songs that go beyond a recycled riff. Lyrically, he continues to wallow in adolescent trappings. He efforts show no commitment or dedication to completion. Jagger in his assessment of Keith, got it fully right. Richards does things by halves. Keith's albums also amply demonstrate who Richards is - a half baked rhythm guitarist.

Make No Mistake
Hate It When You Leave
You Don't Move Me
Wicked As It Seems
Struggle
How I Wish
Take It So Hard
I Could Have Stood You Up
Eileen
Words Of Wonder

It would be very interesting if you could explain to me a) why the songs mentioned above are half baked b) why they sound like coming from a complete amateur and c) if this was all a joke...

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2040
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home