Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: Sacred Cows: artists you're supposed to like, but don't.
Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: April 20, 2011 08:23

1) Hippie Dancing?? A further expression of your stereotyping attitude

2) Keith....he was killed in a car accident...another example of your ignorance!

3) Yes I do

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-20 08:23 by No Expectations.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 20, 2011 08:25

Geeeeeeeeeeez here's hoping Mr Chops don't read some of this Dead stuff
or else he'll be playin' pocket-billiards with himself for a friggin' month!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: April 20, 2011 08:32

Rockman

Is that good or bad???

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 20, 2011 08:36

Mr Chops just have to be Louis Armstrong...grinning smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 20, 2011 08:44

Is that good or bad???

....... Good for Chops I guess BUT bad for his dry-cleaner ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 20, 2011 08:49

Ha ha you called it 'Pocket-billiards' in English..In Sweden it's 'Pocket-Table-Tennis'...God forbid a months tacklin with that game...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 20, 2011 09:01

No Expectations
1) Hippie Dancing?? A further expression of your stereotyping attitude

2) Keith....he was killed in a car accident...another example of your ignorance!

3) Yes I do

It is not stereotyping to say you just don't think something is very good. Nor does one need to be ignorant. For example, I was making fun of the fact that the Dead had six different keyboardists. Seems like a rather high-risk job...And that person was hippie-dancing on the stage. It is an observation. I find their music uninteresting and the Jerry-worship and mythologizing hypocritical and silly. Sorry, you obviously are offended, but this is about "sacred cows" and the Dead certainly are that to many people, and you've proven the idea wonderfully with your responses to me. One must be "ignorant" or "stereotyping" to criticize them I suppose.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-20 09:46 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 20, 2011 14:43

Palace Revolution 2000
I feel like I am supposed to like Jerry Nolan; a hipness thing. But I have to admit (and I hate it) that I think he is a lousy drummer. Even scarier is that he replaced Billy Murcia, and was considered lightyears better than him; how bad was Billy Murcia then?
But no one probably cares about that story.

Two people I really don't like are Rory Gallagher and Johnny Winter. And I have tried.

To a certain generation of music fans in Ireland, Rory Gallagher has something of a godlike status. I seem to be one of the few atheists.

Dont get me wrong. His qualities as a musician go without saying - he was brilliant. Great performer too, by all accounts. And a wonderful human being. He pretty much kept the live music scene in Northern Ireland alive single handedly in the 70s when few acts would set foot in the place. For that reason alone, there should be statues erected to him.

I just dont think he made good records.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 20, 2011 15:01

Rockman

give us a glimmer! who is this dude?

Date: April 20, 2011 15:38

Gazza
Palace Revolution 2000
I feel like I am supposed to like Jerry Nolan; a hipness thing. But I have to admit (and I hate it) that I think he is a lousy drummer. Even scarier is that he replaced Billy Murcia, and was considered lightyears better than him; how bad was Billy Murcia then?

Two people I really don't like are Rory Gallagher and Johnny Winter. And I have tried.

To a certain generation of music fans in Ireland, Rory Gallagher has something of a godlike status. I seem to be one of the few atheists.

Dont get me wrong. His qualities as a musician go without saying - he was brilliant. Great performer too, by all accounts. And a wonderful human being. He pretty much kept the live music scene in Northern Ireland alive single handedly in the 70s when few acts would set foot in the place. For that reason alone, there should be statues erected to him.

hmmm...sounds like the typical commentary from a brit about an irishman....

Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: April 20, 2011 15:48

Gazza
Palace Revolution 2000

I think I know what you mean. I have fond memories of seeing him 'live' in Belfast and London, but there are quite a few problems with his discography. The albums with electric piano sound a bit... how do I put this... crap. All his albums are too long (52, 54 minutes), if you've heard one you've heard them all, and the bassist and drummer were average at best.

One of the strangest revelations after his death was finding out that Bob Dylan owned a copy of every record Rory ever made. He obviously hears something I don't.

Posted by: Turdontherun ()
Date: April 20, 2011 15:58

Palace Revolution 2000
You can hear Billy Murcia play the drums on some of the demos -- for example Lipstick Killers: The Mercer Street Sessions -- the Dolls recorded before their first album. And yes: he might not be the greatest drummer ever OR at times even adequate. It is, well, the opposite of "virtuous" (or "tight", for that matter).

Date: April 20, 2011 16:51

Thricenay
Gazza
Palace Revolution 2000

I think I know what you mean. I have fond memories of seeing him 'live' in Belfast and London, but there are quite a few problems with his discography. The albums with electric piano sound a bit... how do I put this... crap. All his albums are too long (52, 54 minutes), if you've heard one you've heard them all, and the bassist and drummer were average at best.

One of the strangest revelations after his death was finding out that Bob Dylan owned a copy of every record Rory ever made. He obviously hears something I don't.

bob and i hear it - it's only for a very select breed.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 20, 2011 16:52

The Taylor and Wood era Rolling Stones.

Generally speaking the musical naivety and experimentation that I love about the Jones era was replaced with too much rock and fancy guitar solos which was then replaced with poor songs and shallow showmanship.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 20, 2011 17:00

sweetcharmedlife

After 40 years of listening to all sorts of music - unbelievably even to a friend of mine last night - that is the first time I've heard the Grateful Dead and as they made the girl @ 2.52 dance like that I have to say I like it.....................and even the guy @ 3.05 had a sort of contagious bliss about him.........Not quite Ian Dury & the Blockheads for a sublime groove but pretty decent swing-a-long............

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-20 17:32 by EddieByword.

Date: April 20, 2011 17:02

His Majesty
poor songs and shallow showmanship.

that probably explains why the band never really took after after the jones era.

Date: April 20, 2011 17:07

71Tele
It is an observation. I find their music uninteresting and the Jerry-worship and mythologizing hypocritical and silly.

kind of an odd thing to read. by extension, then, it would be hypocritical and silly to worship, say, Mick Taylor (or the Stones in general) if one found his/their music uninteresting. right?

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: April 20, 2011 17:22

I'm with Palace about Johnny Winter. I enjoy his slide playing but geez...he has one of the worst, affected voice ever.

Date: April 20, 2011 17:27

StonesTod
71Tele
It is an observation. I find their music uninteresting and the Jerry-worship and mythologizing hypocritical and silly.

kind of an odd thing to read. by extension, then, it would be hypocritical and silly to worship, say, Mick Taylor (or the Stones in general) if one found his/their music uninteresting. right?

1. I don't "worship" anyone whose music I enjoy.
2. The Deadhead phenomenon is a unique one, and I was commenting on that in particular.

The main point of all of this is that Garcia was a much darker and more complex person than the soulful, joyful hippie-God that his followers made of him. It Takes nothing away from his music or his talent. I just don't believe in worshiping entertainers or artists, yes, even the ones I really love like Lennon, Dylan and Richards. Any criticism of Deadhead culture seems to be met with hysteria. This thread is about sacred cows, and the Dead and Garcia are among the most sacred.

Date: April 20, 2011 17:37

71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele

2. The Deadhead phenomenon is a unique one, and I was commenting on that in particular.

The main point of all of this is that Garcia was a much darker and more complex person than the soulful, joyful hippie-God that his followers made of him. It Takes nothing away from his music or his talent. I just don't believe in worshiping entertainers or artists, yes, even the ones I really love like Lennon, Dylan and Richards. Any criticism of Deadhead culture seems to be met with hysteria. This thread is about sacred cows, and the Dead and Garcia are among the most sacred.

i'm a big dead fan and i know many others - but i would not describe any of them as worshippers, no more so than i would describe fans of the stones as worshippers. i think you are taking this a bit far. being a fan is not tantamount to being a worshipper...it denigrates an entire community to suggest otherwise.

Date: April 20, 2011 17:38

KeefintheNight82
I'm with Palace about Johnny Winter. I enjoy his slide playing but geez...he has one of the worst, affected voice ever.

wow. never heard that before. i think many would consider johnnny among the best blues singers in the biz. i certainly do.

Date: April 20, 2011 17:44

StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele

i'm a big dead fan and i know many others - but i would not describe any of them as worshippers, no more so than i would describe fans of the stones as worshippers. i think you are taking this a bit far. being a fan is not tantamount to being a worshipper...it denigrates an entire community to suggest otherwise.

I respectfully disagree. Again, unlike anything with the Stones, there was a Deadhead "community". I know people in it. There was a hell of a lot of Jerry-worship in it, whether anyone thinks that is good or bad. It is not denigrating anyone to merely point it out. There are fans, and there people who are fans to the degree that it becomes their life, and they cannot tolerate any criticism whatsoever. Yes, other artists have those type of fans, but the Deadhead thing was a unique culture and even lifestyle to many, many people. To deny this is just to deny reality, in my opinion.

What would Ben & Jerry's call an ice cream named after Keith Richards?

Date: April 20, 2011 17:46

well, then i deny (your) reality....

Date: April 20, 2011 17:51

StonesTod

So, you're saying there was no such thing as the Deadhead phenomenon? And that it didn't have ethos and characteristics particular to a community that went beyond being merely fans of a group? That would be odd, as the people who described themselves as Deadheads, and who followed the band, etc. were always happy to point out how unique their community was. That is the reality I was talking about.

Date: April 20, 2011 17:54

71Tele
StonesTod

So, you're saying there was no such thing as the Deadhead phenomenon? And that it didn't have ethos and characteristics particular to a community that went beyond being merely fans of a group? That would be odd, as the people who described themselves as Deadheads, and who followed the band, etc. were always happy to point out how unique their community was. That is the reality I was talking about.

of course there was a community. a pretty large one...much of it still exists. i deny that there is/was any particular deification of jerry as a central component of that community and phenomenon. that's where you lose me. most of the "deadheads" that I know have a pretty level head concerning jerry. wonderful guitarist, occasionally effective singer and songwriter....

Date: April 20, 2011 18:00

StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod

of course there was a community. a pretty large one...much of it still exists. i deny that there is/was any particular deification of jerry as a central component of that community and phenomenon. that's where you lose me. most of the "deadheads" that I know have a pretty level head concerning jerry. wonderful guitarist, occasionally effective singer and songwriter....

OK, I do see your point (really). But many of the accounts written about Garcia do discuss the difference between the image his fans have of him and the actual man (especially in his later years). And these were written by people who were fans or had great respect for his talent.

Date: April 20, 2011 18:03

71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod

OK, I do see your point (really). But many of the accounts written about Garcia do discuss the difference between the image his fans have of him and the actual man (especially in his later years). And these were written by people who were fans or had great respect for his talent.

i just think it's a relative fringe of the community that was connected to the band beyond the music, much like the stones or many other acts out there...dylan comes to immediate mind.

Posted by: neylon79 ()
Date: April 20, 2011 18:04

I have to agree with the comment about over-worship of Jerry. Especially in his later days when his voice was shot and everything was played at 75% of the song's real tempo, it just dragged and wasn't inspiring at all.

My first post re: Waits and Cohen brought a comment about Jeff buckley- yeah, I don't get him at ALL, and I think if he hadn't died he'd have about half the fans he does now.

I probably should give a re-listen to all of them though, you never know how your tastes will change. I know I went back to the Dead and found I had no use at all for Bob Weir tunes, whereas I used to love his stuff. But his over screaming on "one more saturday night" or "it's all over now" is a virtual kick to the groin.

Date: April 20, 2011 18:13

neylon79
and I think if he hadn't died he'd have about half the fans he does now.

dying has always been considered a brilliant career move for all entertainers.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 20, 2011 18:19

Thricenay
Gazza
Palace Revolution 2000

Odd in that case that Bob never attempted to hire him. You saw Gallagher in Belfast? Are you from there?

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1479
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home