Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT : Ray Davies Wants the Kinks to Reform
Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: April 12, 2011 00:07

This could be very good !!

[www.rollingstone.com]

Re: OT : Ray Davies Wants the Kinks to Reform
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 12, 2011 00:14

Kinks' Dave Davies Calls His Brother Ray 'Egocentric' And 'Vain' 4/2/2011 2:47 PM ET

(RTTNews) - Dave Davies has once again spoken out about his opposition to a Kinks reunion. During a recent interview with the U.K.'s Independent, Dave said that though he loves his brother Ray Davies dearly, the two have had more than a few personal problems.

"I don't know when it happened but at some point Ray kind of lost the ability to share," Davies explained. "Emotionally - not just with money. Even though that [money] would help. A lot."

He added: "But having said that Ray is a vain, egocentric, narcissistic arsehole, I won't have anybody call him that except me. Because I love him to death. He is my brother."

Ray Davies has remained active since the Kink's split in 1996 while Dave has been sidelined due largely to physical ailments. And though Ray has made several comments about the possibility of an upcoming reunion, Dave says that they recently talked business "but nothing got resolved."

by RTT Staff Writer

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 12, 2011 00:29

such love. melts the heart, doesn't it?

Date: April 12, 2011 00:56

StonesTod
The world's goin crazy and nobody gives a damn anymore.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: April 12, 2011 01:06

I was lucky to see the Kinks during the Word of Mouth tour in 1984. I had a side balcony seat, and had a great view of the interaction between brothers during the show.

Three or four times I was convinced they were going to just drop their guitars and duke it out right on stage!

That being said, though, it would be great to see them again.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 12, 2011 01:37

"had a great view of the interaction between brothers during the show"

Wouldn't the word chemistry be more appropriate? Seems like Ray's/was a huge cokehead...

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: April 12, 2011 01:40

C'mon Dave? Oh yea, please bury the hatchet boys and go out and play Kinks music. A Kinks reunion tour should be done if not only for the memory of Pete who passed away last year, but the fact that Mick and Dave could really use the money. The Kinks were always a very good live band, never mind their killer studio material available that I never tire of hearing again and again. Dave and Ray need to go out and have a few pints and just clear the air. Hire a back room in a London pub and let it fly. God Save the Kinks!

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: April 12, 2011 04:06

This Captain America Calling!

Help me now I'm calling you!

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: April 12, 2011 04:25

What became of the recordings Ray Davies made with Yo La Tengo a few years back? He just decided not to release them or what?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 12, 2011 05:01

I thought the bulk of them were on Working Man's Cafe???

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 12, 2011 05:02

Ray's been saying they're getting back together ever since they broke up. Dave has made it abundantly clear that it's never going to happen.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 12, 2011 05:32

What is it with these guys anyway? There was a documentary made recently by a guy who made it his mission to reunite the Kinks. He interviewed Dave and Dave said he would tell him the reason why there was a feud, but he had to turn the cameras off. The guy agreed and kept Dave's secret.

Posted by: JMoisica ()
Date: April 12, 2011 05:38

Hatred, it's the only thing that lasts forever.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: April 12, 2011 05:43

StonesTod

Sounds like me and my two year older brother. Identical sh*t.

I'd get the album though. Big time.

Date: April 12, 2011 05:45

It's like Keith says in his book. You can't help but end up hating the person you HAVE to work with to do the thing you do best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-12 05:46 by tatters.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 12, 2011 05:51

Have any of you seen the documentary, Do it Again, that came out last year about a Boston Journalist who went to England in effort to put the Kinks back together?

It put's a different perspective on the Kinks. Dave would do the reunion with a couple small concessions from Ray.

While Ray has publically talked about a reunion for years, apparently he has never discussed it directly with his brother or the other members of the band. In a Q & A after I saw the film, the director felt it was more of Ray, not Dave, standing in the way of the reunion.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 12, 2011 06:41

BluzDude
Have any of you seen the documentary, Do it Again, that came out last year about a Boston Journalist who went to England in effort to put the Kinks back together?

It put's a different perspective on the Kinks. Dave would do the reunion with a couple small concessions from Ray.

While Ray has publically talked about a reunion for years, apparently he has never discussed it directly with his brother or the other members of the band. In a Q & A after I saw the film, the director felt it was more of Ray, not Dave, standing in the way of the reunion.

I heard the filmmaker interviewed on the radio. Great story. I wonder what these "small concessions" from Ray would be?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-12 09:09 by 71Tele.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 12, 2011 06:52

71Tele

I heard the filmmaker interviewed on the rdaio. Great story. I wonder what these "small concessions" from Ray would be?

Probably an apology for not visiting or calling him after his stroke and have a Kinks reunion not being all about Ray.

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: April 12, 2011 07:06

This is an interesting side note to it all, and may lie at the root of all that has happened between the two of them. Basically, they're both the babies of their family.

Ray was born first, the baby son after six (much older) sisters. He was doted on, spoiled, and like so many babies of the family, he became the ham, the performer, and came to crave that attention.

Then, when Ray was almost six years old, DAVE came along. Another baby of the family! Another spoiled ham! This was an outrage! An affront to Ray's whole identity in the family. Their rivalry started with Dave's birth, And it only got worse from then on. To this day.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 12, 2011 07:17

I'm in...saw them in '83 during the 'Come Dancing' tour, if that was what it was called.

First time I ever saw them play was on SNL, they played Destroyer...blew my mind! (I know, that seems ridiculous now, but I was impressionable!)

Date: April 12, 2011 07:34

Date: April 12, 2011 07:38

I have seen The Kinks numerous times. Starting with the One for the Road tour and then every tour after that, and often multiple times during a tour. I would love it if they got back together! It is what the world needs now!
I did not know about Do it Again and I hope it is released on DVD. How was it? They need a film ala Kids are Alright giving a self narrated history of Kinkdom.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 12, 2011 10:13

He must have a new album coming out.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 12, 2011 10:21

Well they are one man short too nowadays...R.I.P. Pete Quife...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: April 12, 2011 11:19

Silver Dagger
He must have a new album coming out.

Just released as a matter of fact .
[www.crawdaddy.com]

Date: April 12, 2011 13:10

Yeah, that new release leaves me cold for some reason. A retread. Why not release another solo disc of new material as opposed to getting other people to do old Kink's songs? I prefer the originals. At least the choral solo disc was trying to do something different. Who needs to hear another version of You Really Got Me duet? Come on Ray don't be lazy, work it!

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 12, 2011 14:10

I think it will happen as long as Ray and Dave keep healthy.They have both had problems and Ray had to cancel some gigs in the states not too long ago.Realy looking forward to a Kinks tour of U.K. first ...............Europe and North America will have to wait.Gotta get a new bass player as well.R.I.P Pete. smoking smiley

Date: April 12, 2011 15:19

Pete would not have been the bass player in any case. He left the band in 1969.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 12, 2011 15:32

Don't think there would be a problem finding a bass player. Jim Rodford played bass for the Kinks and now for the excellent Kast-Off Kinks (with Mick Avory).

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: April 12, 2011 15:41

last time i saw Ray in concert (a couple of years back at the Beacon) he repeatedly spoke in glowing terms of Dave and his contributions to the Kinks. I was surprised and thought maybe it was his way if reaching out for a reunion. However, since then Dave always seems to take digs at RAy, which, if true, make me think Ray was granstranding that night to seemingly put thr blame onhis brother for thier rift.

who knows. it is hard to say where the truth lies and is likely in between somewhere with bot being at fault somewhat.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1026
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home