Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8
Re: Track Talk: I'm Going Down
Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: April 13, 2011 12:25

Since this track talk is already spoiled, I'll take the liberty to join in the chorus
by adding that I've alway read with great interest what Mathijs posted about the guitar
playing. His trained ears and knowledge about guitars add a lot that I would not have
noticed in a million years. I thank him for that, and his posts are one of the main reasons
to check out on this board once in a while.

That can not be said about posters who add nothing of interest to this board than picking
on other's mail and contradict everything the other wrote, just to be able to contradict
something. I don't know what is wrong with posters like these, but I agree that sometimes
it seems that they don't have a meaningful life of their own. "I post, so therefor
I exist" seems to be their motto.

Mathijs don't go. Don't take my fun.

Date: April 13, 2011 12:40

Mathijs
jpasc95
Highwire too ?
well...who played on that one ? M Jagger ?

Jagger does the main open G rhythm guitar, Richards the lead guitar, Wood was absent due to a traffic accident.

Mathijs

Wood is playing the the lead guitar theme that comes in a couple of times. Richards plays the fills throughout.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: April 13, 2011 13:15

well..Wood or Richards for the lead guitar ?
it's getting confuse
I would say R Wood

Date: April 13, 2011 13:23

Richards plays the lead guitar throughout. Wood plays the B-bender-theme.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 13, 2011 13:25

Yes Ronnie Wood does the solo, definitely

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 13, 2011 13:29

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
jpasc95
Highwire too ?
well...who played on that one ? M Jagger ?

Jagger does the main open G rhythm guitar, Richards the lead guitar, Wood was absent due to a traffic accident.

Mathijs

Wood is playing the the lead guitar theme that comes in a couple of times. Richards plays the fills throughout.

I remembered Wood's statement wrong. He stated he broke both his legs in the traffic accident and that he played the session for Highwire and Sexdrive while in a wheelchair. I think he wrote that in one of his books.

Mathijs

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: April 13, 2011 13:57

To get back on the main topic.....the guitar parts sound grungy and unpolished like Jagger's playing in Highway Child. The lyrics make no sense and I agree it would not add to the works of any of the albums in the 69-72 period. Soul Survivor if very similar but with better guitars, lyrics and you can almost understand what Jagger is singing (lot of slurring or bad production on a few of the Exile songs). Not being an expert, but I would say Keith is not on this track (I'm Going Down).

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 13, 2011 14:06

bigmac7895
To get back on the main topic.....the guitar parts sound grungy and unpolished like Jagger's playing in Highway Child. The lyrics make no sense and I agree it would not add to the works of any of the albums in the 69-72 period. Soul Survivor if very similar but with better guitars, lyrics and you can almost understand what Jagger is singing (lot of slurring or bad production on a few of the Exile songs). Not being an expert, but I would say Keith is not on this track (I'm Going Down).

It's Richards on guitar on Highway Child.

Mathijs

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 13, 2011 16:03

bigmac7895
Not being an expert, but I would say Keith is not on this track (I'm Going Down).

You don' need to be an expert to doubt things.
Experts doubt things unless they are 100 % sure and convinced.
Noboby here has convinced me on the guitar part yet,so yes,you might be right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-13 16:28 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: April 13, 2011 16:14

Mathijs
Erik_Snow
To me - the guitar on "I'm Going Down" is extremely Keith-ish, in every way
It's only the "fake intro" (available on bootleg) that sounds different than Keith.....Keith doesn't stumble like that, usually
Apart from that, the guitar has the Keith style every step of the way, IMO

I always thought that the false-start intro is not how it was played, but a studio play-back. It sounds like the tape is rolled back or so. The false start and the actual start sound very much like identical copies.

Mathijs

the bass drum comes in on the c chord .there are no drums on the false start so if it is a studio play-back they left a few faders down or it is a genuine false start. . .

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: April 13, 2011 16:49

Amsterdamned
Bärs
There is actually no riff in Brown Sugar since there is no repeating melodic figure, only chords. If we listen to Jagger playing for the Turners he plays all the chord progressions there are in the song. Listen 0:37 forward:

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Count in Mick's comment,(see link above) Keith changing the rythm (great job) Mick's great singing, B Keys great sax solo, great bass,drums and a sneaky but very effective second and 3th guitar that work like a perfect glue, countless hours in the studio, and it takes >6 to Tango.
Besides from 2.56,Micks ryhtm guitar has more or less the same groove like Keith.

Keith was lucky to have those people around him.
But his intro riff is the greatest moment,it made the song famous.

Amsterdamned, you edit almost all your previous / old posts on IORR, why?

Think I know who you are, are you an approx. 50 year old jazz musician?

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 13, 2011 16:58

Well, our 'friend' Mathijs got what he wanted: much flattery and hugs and pleadings not to leave, confirmations of how 'huge' his knowledge is. Good for him. How pathetic can one be?

But I prefer Amsterdamned's good taste, knowledge and humour and Doxa's and Edward Twining's interesting and profound posts. Besides (and very important): they are nice and kind guys, not bullies like this Mathijs person who is so blunt and impolite to say things about someone's private life, even the wrong things! How much of an ashole can one be?!

PS: I'm glad I left this site. I only miss people like Doxa and Edward Twining. But I always can read them! So you Mathijs flatterers, you can report me. I don't care. I don't like to post here anyway. I don't miss posting here at all.

Mathijs en die zgn Vocalion, wat een sukkels zijn jullie. Onbeschofte vlegels.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 13, 2011 17:04

kleermaker
PS: I'm glad I left this site. I don't like to post here anyway. I don't miss posting here at all.

I don't want to spread this around, but I'm pretty sure you're posting here at this very moment.

Date: April 13, 2011 17:11

It's insane to accuse Mathijs for wanting flattery and hugs.....if that's what he wanted, he surely would have a different tone than what he has had in his posts. WTF is the matter with some of you Dutch IORR people anyway, is it such a burden to have somebody from your own country brilliate in knowledge over a certain subject? Pathetic is not even the middle name of these stupid fights

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-13 17:27 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 13, 2011 17:25

kleermaker
Well, our 'friend' Mathijs got what he wanted: much flattery and hugs and pleadings not to leave, confirmations of how 'huge' his knowledge is. Good for him. How pathetic can one be?

But I prefer Amsterdamned's good taste, knowledge and humour and Doxa's and Edward Twining's interesting and profound posts. Besides (and very important): they are nice and kind guys, not bullies like this Mathijs person who is so blunt and impolite to say things about someone's private life, even the wrong things! How much of an ashole can one be?!

PS: I'm glad I left this site. I only miss people like Doxa and Edward Twining. But I always can read them! So you Mathijs flatterers, you can report me. I don't care. I don't like to post here anyway. I don't miss posting here at all.

Mathijs en die zgn Vocalion, wat een sukkels zijn jullie. Onbeschofte vlegels.

Nice to hear from you, kleermaker.

Your comments are interesting. For me, I don't think it's good when anyone with knowledge and intelligence feels compelled to leave this site. That means you, and Mathjis as well.

Date: April 13, 2011 17:36

Erik_Snow
It's insane to accuse Mathijs for wanting flattery and hugs.....if that's what he wanted, he surely would have a different tone than what he he has - in his posts. WTF is the matter with some of you Dutch IORR people anyway, is it such a burden to have somebody from your own country brilliate in knowledge over a certain subject?

He knows a lot,he's not brilliate.
He didn't convince me and several others about the guitar part and the 10000 ways brown sugar got put together.
If I disagree,I don't have clue? That's a rather stupid remark. I never would say that.
Besides putting me down like an unemployed person living in north without even knowing me at all.. Below zero.

But sure hobby guitarist believe every word he says.
Unfortunately for him I'am not,start to argue and than suddenly he becomes a crybaby.

Give the guy a teat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-13 19:48 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 13, 2011 17:57

Amsterdamned
Erik_Snow
It's insane to accuse Mathijs for wanting flattery and hugs.....if that's what he wanted, he surely would have a different tone than what he he has - in his posts. WTF is the matter with some of you Dutch IORR people anyway, is it such a burden to have somebody from your own country brilliate in knowledge over a certain subject?

He didn't convince me and several others about the guitar part.
If I disagree,I don't have clue? That's a rather stupid remark. I never would say that.
Besides putting me down like an unemployed person living in north without even knowing me at all.. Below zero.

Unfortunately for him I don't,start to argue and than suddenly he becomes a crybaby.

Give the guy a teat.

Reasonable people should be able to disagree about who played a friggin' guitar part. I think it's Keith, but so what? I thought Stop Breaking Down was Keith for years.

Date: April 13, 2011 18:08

71Tele
Amsterdamned
Erik_Snow

He didn't convince me and several others about the guitar part.

Unfortunately for him I don't,start to argue and than suddenly he becomes a crybaby.

Give the guy a teat.

Reasonable people should be able to disagree about who played a friggin' guitar part. I think it's Keith, but so what? I thought Stop Breaking Down was Keith for years.

Indeed, so what...,but never claim to be the truth,unless you're Keith or have other proof by video or whatever.
Ive got my serious doubts ,right or wrong.

Date: April 13, 2011 18:27

I believe Keith is playing on "I'm Going Down." The thing is I usually find posts speculating on who plays what to make for interesting reading. It doesn't really matter whether or not I agree. As a general rule, we could all learn to be nicer to one another, but it's probably not about to happen any time soon. We all lose our tempers over slights and digs eventually.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 13, 2011 18:38

Rocky Dijon
I believe Keith is playing on "I'm Going Down." The thing is I usually find posts speculating on who plays what to make for interesting reading. It doesn't really matter whether or not I agree. As a general rule, we could all learn to be nicer to one another, but it's probably not about to happen any time soon. We all lose our tempers over slights and digs eventually.

i dig

Date: April 13, 2011 19:35

StonesTod
Rocky Dijon

i dig

amen

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 13, 2011 20:23

Oh dear!

Clashes of personalities are expected, no need to leave because of them though. Just take a short break if people or heavy vibes get on your nerves too much. Also intentionally or unintentionally creating negativity and/or reacting to it ruins the forum for everyone.

I got way to carried away with the whole wave of negative Keith - Life book stuff, noticing this I took some time out to cool off and wise up. grinning smiley

At the end of the day it's a forum about The Rolling Stones. It's a forum for fans to share experiences, information and so on. It is not about our egos!

smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-13 20:30 by His Majesty.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 13, 2011 20:46

Btw, I think it's Keith on the open G tuned guitar. thumbs up

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: April 13, 2011 21:20

Amsterdamned

You must change your id name to 'edit', it suits you.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 13, 2011 22:00

Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Rocky Dijon

i dig

amen

oh, erik agrees with me? then i fill the hole back in....

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: April 14, 2011 02:37

It was Richards on Highway Child? No way- like the song but always thought the playing was not the best playing. You positive it's not Jagger? At any rate, if the playing on Highway Child is Keith, then I can believe I'm Goin' Down has Keith playing also.

Date: April 14, 2011 02:53

I always wondered if it wasn't Mick since the song resembles "Bitch" musically and lyrically and Andy Johns tells the story of the band struggling through "Bitch" for a couple hours and then Keith showed up late, listened to the playback, turned the riff around and nailed it. I know that someone is bound to say it's not Mick on guitar or that the song was recorded before 1970 so it couldn't possibly be the song Andy Johns is referring to, but it fits the profile. By the way, ABKCO copyrighted this song when the Decca/London contracts expired under the title "Highway Bound." Not that we can stop bootleggers from using "Highway Child" or in a few cases, "Highway Chile," but I thought it was worth noting.

Posted by: Stones Blah ()
Date: April 14, 2011 05:35

I say Keith on guitar and Taylor on bass! Now who wants to F#@kin fight about it?Bring it on!!!!!!! Ya bunch of pussies!!!!!! ha ha!!

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: April 14, 2011 05:47

I'm sorry, but all this fighting just because someone doubts it's Keith or Taylor or Jagger or Wyman or Stu or whoever is playing the guitar is f*cking pathetic.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 14, 2011 06:01

'University politics are vicious precisely because the stakes are so small.- Henry Kissinger

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1872
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home