Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk: I'm Free
Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: April 5, 2011 22:55

scottkeef
As far as a set list goes,I quite enjoyed Hyde Park. Down Home Girl is just some of that gut-bucket funk that the Stones pull off so easily. I wished they would have kept it on the US 69 tour instead of I'm Free(although "Free' grows on me) I always thought how strange it was that "Under My Thumb" was in the 69 live set and also part of the HOT ROCKS line-up. Not because I dont love the song but since it was never a single in it's original form.

The thing I've always found very strange (& possibly unique) about Hyde Park is the complete lack of backing vocals / harmonies. I wonder why Keith didn't sing? I've always loved the rawness of the show though, & Jagger was especially good.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: April 5, 2011 23:04

never heard such an awful and wrong playing drums as in the studio version!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: April 5, 2011 23:06

deardoctor
never heard such an awful and wrong playing drums as in the studio version!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've heard other people say similar things but I can never see it (or hear it) myself.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: April 5, 2011 23:25

Sleepy City
The thing I've always found very strange (& possibly unique) about Hyde Park is the complete lack of backing vocals / harmonies. I wonder why Keith didn't sing? I've always loved the rawness of the show though, & Jagger was especially good.

He didn't sing that much backing vocals live on those years.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: April 6, 2011 05:37

Amsterdamned
The best & most soulful version ever imo... Like flying back in a time machine. smiling smiley

That version works for me too.

Date: February 11, 2023 21:53

Kleermaker's most recent upload:

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 11, 2023 22:03

At one point in my life as a Stones fan, this was my absolute #1 favorite track by them - maybe way back when I was in high school.
Might have only held that position for a day or two until I found another classic/favorite, but it has always provided special memories for me - such a great tune!

Date: February 11, 2023 22:08

Hairball
At one point in my life as a Stones fan, this was my absolute #1 favorite track by them - maybe way back when I was in high school.
Might have only held that position for a day or two until I found another classic/favorite, but it has always provided special memories for me - such a great tune!

This one posted by Amsterdamned is my favourite. Where the heck's he anyway??

Amsterdamned
The best & most soulful version ever imo... Like flying back in a time machine. smiling smiley

Date: February 11, 2023 22:13

To be clear if it wasn't already, I was referring to the studio version, though just about any version of I'm Free is a good version...unless it's a mediocre cover version ala the Soup Dragons version...

Date: February 11, 2023 22:17

Hairball
To be clear if it wasn't already, I was referring to the studio version, though just about any version of I'm Free is a good version...unless it's a mediocre cover version ala the Soup Dragons version...

They @#$%& up several times (Stones) if I remember it well.I like the Oakland version best because of Taylor's guitar solo and the fantastic interplay of the band as a whole.

Date: February 11, 2023 22:22

I prefer the pre-Taylor studio version - the simplicity is it's ultimate strength.

Date: February 11, 2023 22:42

Hairball
I prefer the pre-Taylor studio version - the simplicity is it's ultimate strength.

I don't think that the studio version resembles simplicity. There happens more on it than the Oakland version, where the band is left to play that "Stoned" slow version on the spot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-11 22:42 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: February 11, 2023 22:45

There's an innocence and simplicity to the original studio version that doesn't translate to other/later Taylor-era live versions.

Date: February 11, 2023 22:55

Hairball
There's an innocence and simplicity to the original studio version that doesn't translate to other/later Taylor-era live versions.

Impossible to compare both. The slow version adds the "Yin Yang" factor to me:Taylor /Richards. The studio version is more danceable though.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 11, 2023 22:57

deardoctor

Yes, had to go back to see if I had mentioned this earlier since this is a 12 year old post!

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 11, 2023 23:23

You could make a great single album of the songs they wrote in 1964-1965which were spread over several albums.Tell Me,Blue Turns to Grey, Play with Fire, Heart of Stone, Last Time, Satisfaction , Get Off of My Cloud,Heart of Stone, I’m Free, As Tears Go By,Good Times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-11 23:28 by Taylor1.

Date: February 11, 2023 23:37

TheflyingDutchman
Hairball

Impossible to compare both. The slow version adds the "Yin Yang" factor to me:Taylor /Richards. The studio version is more danceable though.

Yes hard to compare both, but that seems to be what both of us are doing.
Again, sometimes less is more (simplicity/innocence, etc.), and with a tune like this I can see where the Taylor detractors are coming from.
I like the Taylor era versions for what they are, but it might be a case of unwelcome "noodling" as the detractors might say.
There's something simplistic and innocent with the original Brian era studio version that can't be matched...IMO.

Date: February 12, 2023 01:57

The Soup Dragons did a good version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-12 01:58 by Taylor1.

Date: February 12, 2023 21:05

Taylor1
The Soup Dragons did a good version.

Do you have link?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 12, 2023 21:07

ROCKMAN

Date: February 12, 2023 21:10

Rockman

@ Rockman: Horrible but thanks for the link.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-12 21:20 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: February 12, 2023 22:22

After listening twice not bad at all.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: February 12, 2023 22:43

I love this version of I'm Free...
[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 12, 2023 23:04

Testify
[www.youtube.com]
Great version. Also like Slipping Away and Not Fade Away from that album

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 14, 2023 07:16

A cool song.

The original reminds me of the intro of Dylan's "Like A Rolling Stone", released just a couple months earlier. Like them thinking 'Hey, that sounds cool with that organ. Let' s pick up that sound and those two chords C and F and let us create a song around it'.

Dylan-like they picked up a theme to spell out something was in the air, and especially fitted to them in person and what they represented very well. "I'm Free To Do What I Want Any Old Time" - damn it - that hits right on the target. Could've been an anthem for the whole decade. It was no wonder that they picked this song - not an obvious choice, since pretty much a single b-side and an album filler - again in 1969, expressing the zeitgeist and the sentiments of hippie-era nicely (great, great blues rock versions at Hyde Park and throughout the Amerikan Tour).

In regard to lyrics it is also interesting that they typically had the habit of expressing their thoughts about freedom in negative terms: frustrated feelings for someone or something is preventing their freedom to do what they want - "Satisfaction" and the A-side of this song, "Get Off of My Cloud" - but here they do it in positive terms.

But this was not all. They picked up with just a mild modification a chorus from "Eight Days A Week", trying even not to hide the source by playing around with key rhymes "Hold Me, Love Me". An interesting choice - some kind of little nod to their biggest rival?

A fascinating early Jagger/Richard exercise in song-writing.

A cool song.

- Doxa

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-14 08:13 by Doxa.

Date: February 14, 2023 07:59

Testify
[www.youtube.com]

I have not listened this version for a long time. I recall it being not that distinctive, but I was wrong. A great, soulful reading of it. Discovers new potential and fine nuances from the song. I especially like Mick's soft vocals, mostly like playing with the colorful, expressive sounds his mouth is able to do. Sometimes that might go over the top, but I don't think it does here. It fits and I think is a special feature for the song to have a new life. Some of those STRIPPED 'live in the studio' versions - The Stones version of 'unplugged', fashionable at the time - do not work that well, but this one does (like "Wild Horses" and "Love In Vain").

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-14 08:11 by Doxa.

Posted by: Congratulations ()
Date: February 14, 2023 10:03

Love the studio version, but I also think this was the highlight of the 1969 Hyde Park documentary:

Date: February 14, 2023 10:24

Congratulations
Love the studio version, but I also think this was the highlight of the 1969 Hyde Park documentary:

Oh yeah, I have always loved that version! It is such compact piece, a bit hold-back, but full of threat and aggression. A showcase of their new, rough blues rock sound. And captured and edited - pl. fading out Taylor's solo - so well on film. Jagger looks and sounds such a bad-ass...

- Doxa

Date: February 14, 2023 10:58

The version from 2006 is pretty good, too.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 14, 2023 14:10

DandelionPowderman
The version from 2006 is pretty good, too.

[www.youtube.com]

Yeah. Keith takes role here and adds his charming elder statemen's presence there. Reminds me of its origin in the Beatles song - how far our wonderful Pavarottis carried the idea of 'perfect' Beatle harmonies... (but what Keith's rough back-up singing does is actually reminding me of the wild and free-going stuff he already did in "Tell Me")

But, interestingly, for not that well-known or talked (see this thread) piece, "I'm Free" has actually managed to find its way to many big profile releases along the years: STONES IN THE PARK, STRIPPED, SHINE A LIGHT.. And we should not forget its showing up in YA-YA'S deluxe edition.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-14 14:11 by Doxa.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1899
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home