Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Meredith Hunter documentary
Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: March 31, 2011 14:22

Was reading this fantastic review of 'Life': www.nybooks.com

(Almost as long as the book itself! but well worth reading) and this short documentary about Meridith Hunter was mentioned.

I searched to see if this has been posted before - couldn't find anything, but apologies if this is a repeat post.

Might be interesting to some....

Re: Meredith Hunter documentary
Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: March 31, 2011 14:59

Thank you

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: March 31, 2011 15:43

That was very well put together .

Was anybody from the board at Altamont ??

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 31, 2011 17:42

boston2006

The poster on this thread known as "soundcheck" claims to have been there: [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: PammyB ()
Date: March 31, 2011 18:22

Edith Grove
boston2006

The poster on this thread known as "soundcheck" claims to have been there: [www.iorr.org]

Is he/she any relation to MARSBAR?

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 31, 2011 18:30

i actually emailed him about this, before it was on youtube, asking if i could buy a dvd from him. he replied that with a price, I think $20 if i remember correctly -- which i was going to do ...but never got around to it. but yes, worth watching

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: March 31, 2011 18:41

such a sad memory !
shame on these mad hell's angels
I remember one of them was invited in a french program about 10 years ago.
He was very proud of himself and didn't have any regrets at all about his colleagues behavior during this sad Altamont event
I was disguted by this man...if you can call this a man !

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 31, 2011 19:26

Yes, the Angels were not Angels on that day. But Meredith Hunter pulled a gun in front of the stage. His actions opened a door and unfortunately he couldn't control what came through. Who knows what Meredith Hunter planned to do with that drawn weapon at the lip of the stage?

Date: March 31, 2011 20:39

24FPS
Yes, the Angels were not Angels on that day. But Meredith Hunter pulled a gun in front of the stage. His actions opened a door and unfortunately he couldn't control what came through. Who knows what Meredith Hunter planned to do with that drawn weapon at the lip of the stage?

i agree completely! sad he's dead, but if you're going to be pulling out loaded guns then you have to consider that someone might kill you 1st as a possible outcome.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: March 31, 2011 21:31

Hey LeonidP & 24FPS,

He pulled his gun thinking it would stop the Angels from beating him up as they started to do because he was with a Blonde white woman..

#1 - the gun was loaded, which put's the Angel's claim that he was shooting at the stage = BS

#2 - the Rolling Stone Mag writer who was there and wrote about it saw the whole thing, the Angel's started hassling him, then a few of them started hitting him, he pulled the gun thinking it would scare the Angels into stopping their assalt,
wrong move on his part but he surely didn't desearve to die for it.. MLC

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: March 31, 2011 21:48

PammyB
Edith Grove
boston2006

[www.iorr.org]

Uh ~ Oh , you're bringing up some bad memories .

MARSBAR did everything and anything Stones related .winking smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 31, 2011 21:55

The subject of Meredith Hunter hasn't come up in so long. I'm not judging his mentality, or whether he was right of wrong to pull a weapon. The sad truth is that he did pull a weapon, which antagonized his tormentors and they felt their lives were in danger. If Meredith had started firing, he could have hit innocents, among them the Stones themselves. It would make an interesting article to interview those who knew Meredith, but maybe that was done back in the early 70s.

Posted by: dancingmisterd ()
Date: March 31, 2011 22:07

MCDDTLC
#1 - the gun was loaded, which put's the Angel's claim that he was shooting at the stage = BS

He drew a loaded gun but because he hadn't fired it yet it's okay?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 31, 2011 22:12

boston2006
PammyB
Edith Grove
boston2006

[www.iorr.org]

Uh ~ Oh , you're bringing up some bad memories .

MARSBAR did everything and anything Stones related .winking smiley
Including getting banned from here evidently.eye popping smiley

Date: March 31, 2011 22:15

MCDDTLC

Did you mean to say the gun was not loaded?

Other than in Stanley Booth's book, where he says Hunter claims that his gun wasn't loaded as he lay dying on the ground, has this ever been established as fact?

Regardless, when someone pulls a gun in a crowd of people, action needs to be taken immediately and there is no time to determine whether the gun is loaded or not.
If Hunter was being taunted by the Angels he could have walked away, but he changed the situation drastically by pulling that gun.

I'm no fan of the Angels, but considering all the lives that were in immediate danger, I think that deadly force was justified in this case.

Date: March 31, 2011 22:18

MCDDTLC
Hey LeonidP & 24FPS,

He pulled his gun thinking it would stop the Angels from beating him up as they started to do because he was with a Blonde white woman..

wow, should we all just make up things and claim them as fact? we know he pulled a gun - we don't know they were beating him or the reason if they were - nice way to assume the worst from the angels but give meredith the benefit of the doubt.

evidence - he pulled a gun, then we see the stabbing... no evidence - he was being beaten for being with a white woman

theory - he doesn't pull a gun and he would still be alive.

Posted by: DartfordRenegade ()
Date: March 31, 2011 22:18

Sad that he has no headstone to mark his grave.

Posted by: stateofshock ()
Date: March 31, 2011 22:45

Edith Grove
MCDDTLC

I'm no fan of the Angels, but considering all the lives that were in immediate danger, I think that deadly force was justified in this case.

EXCUSE YOU??? You think deadly force was JUSTIFIED? get the @#$%& outta here...

"What I'm doing is a sexual thing. I dance and all dancing is a replacement for sex". - Mick Jagger

Date: March 31, 2011 22:46

I just love all the racist excuses for a black man being killed...yeah I said it, you don't like it? fcku you, bigots.

"What I'm doing is a sexual thing. I dance and all dancing is a replacement for sex". - Mick Jagger

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 31, 2011 23:11

wrong. they certainly would have done the same as they did to Hunter if he had been white. He pulled a gun! plus the Angels were mad as hell anyway about hippies, etc.
they beat the hell out of some white people, apparently..the one who had a gun happened to be black...

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 31, 2011 23:22

Edith Grove
MCDDTLC

Did you mean to say the gun was not loaded?

28 times?

Date: March 31, 2011 23:26

in fact, I still don't understand why he was killed
did the "angels" need to kill him ? they were many of them around Meredith, I really think they could've mastered him
actually, they didn't leave him no chance

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 31, 2011 23:27

duke richardson
wrong. they certainly would have done the same as they did to Hunter if he had been white. He pulled a gun! plus the Angels were mad as hell anyway about hippies, etc.
they beat the hell out of some white people, apparently..the one who had a gun happened to be black...

to be fair now, did they beat a proportionate number of asians and hispanics? we can't fully determine if these were racially-based attacks unless we examine all the dimensions.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 31, 2011 23:31

StonesTod
duke richardson

to be fair now, did they beat a proportionate number of asians and hispanics? we can't fully determine if these were racially-based attacks unless we examine all the dimensions.

I doubt they could tell the difference.

just sayin..

Date: March 31, 2011 23:39

jpasc95
did the "angels" need to kill him ?

certainly not -- but as pointed out, if you pull out a gun, then you will increase the chances that you get killed. (also i notice you aren't asking the question on whether he needed to pull out a gun)

* edit ... and as to the racist comments, well i am white and i never pulled a gun out in a crowd. i am still alive. i am not sure if that is more due to me being white or the fact that i tend to not pull guns out in crowds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-31 23:40 by LeonidP.

Date: March 31, 2011 23:42

stateofshock
Edith Grove
MCDDTLC

EXCUSE YOU??? You think deadly force was JUSTIFIED? get the @#$%& outta here...

Perhaps you didn't read thoroughly my post that you quoted from.
From what I've seen, I agree with the court that found the killing justified.
I suppose if new evidence came to light that justified Hunter's actions, then I would reconsider, but all we've heard since then is hearsay and conjecture.

edit: Edith Grove just wrote this, I don't know why stateofshock's name shows in the box

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-31 23:46 by Edith Grove.

Date: April 1, 2011 00:02

LeonidP
jpasc95
did the "angels" need to kill him ?

certainly not -- but as pointed out, if you pull out a gun, then you will increase the chances that you get killed. (also i notice you aren't asking the question on whether he needed to pull out a gun)

* edit ... and as to the racist comments, well i am white and i never pulled a gun out in a crowd. i am still alive. i am not sure if that is more due to me being white or the fact that i tend to not pull guns out in crowds.

yes right, the question is : why did he pull out a gun ?
MLC gave an answer : "the Rolling Stone Mag writer who was there and wrote about it saw the whole thing, the Angel's started hassling him, then a few of them started hitting him, he pulled the gun thinking it would scare the Angels into stopping their assalt, wrong move on his part but he surely didn't desearve to die for it.. MLC"

If this is true, then, the "angels" are responsible because they created a climat of terror which forced people to defend themselves with unusual means.
But you know what, I have the feeling that Meredith Hunter was in danger that day and even if he hadn't pulled out a gun, something bad would've happened to him because the bad angels

If it's not true, then, I really don't understand why he pulled out a gun..
Was he a psychopath ?

Date: April 1, 2011 00:10

jpasc95
Was he a psychopath ?

I don't think this was ever determined, but for someone to feel like he needs to bring a gun to a concert, IMO, that person could only have mental problems or was looking for trouble, or both.

Date: April 1, 2011 00:12

duke richardson

no YOU'RE WRONG. they were picking on him because he was with a white girl. Back in those days, that was one of the MAIN reasons to hurt a black man.

Date: April 1, 2011 00:14

Edith Grove
jpasc95
Was he a psychopath ?

I don't think this was ever determined, but for someone to feel like he needs to bring a gun to a concert, IMO, that person could only have mental problems or was looking for trouble, or both.

Or he knew that he was going to be around a bunch of crackers who were going to look at him sideways because he was with a white woman and needed the protection.

Yeah, I think that's what it was. *eyeroll*

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1916
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home