Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Charlie Watts interview on YLE Radio Suomi
Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: March 28, 2011 16:38

Here's a reminder to Finnish Stones fans: Charlie Watts interview on YLE Radio Suomi's Bluesministeri -programme at 22.10.

[yle.fi]

I think it will be released here after the show. Possibly not available outside Finland but not sure about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-28 16:40 by Single Malt.

Re: Charlie Watts interview on YLE Radio Suomi
Posted by: Juha ()
Date: March 28, 2011 22:56

Kiitos vinkistä! This sunday Charlie & Co will play Tavastia Klubi in Helsinki.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 29, 2011 10:51

Thanks for the link! I would have missed it otherwise.

The programme has, among others, a nice little summary of the history of boogie-woogie (i.e. "barrelhouse").

As far as Charlie's interview go, it was via telephone, and a condition to have it was, as usual, not to talk anything about the Rolling Stones...

"Hello, I'm Charlie Watts.. I'm... a drummer.." grinning smiley

Charlie talked about the ACB+D of Boogie-Woogie, of its members, of its origin, of its "mission" or "agenda" - to spread the boogie-woogie into people's consciusness (and not by making redordings but playing it live). He talked briefly about the early days how he get to know boogie-woogie, with whom he played, "before he was dragged away to another direction". That boogie woogie is "bloody fast" and to play it it as a group is like being a train or locomotive. And that's about it.

What I missed was any mention - a question - about Ian Stewart. I am sure the interviewer (Esa Kuloniemi - "Blues Minister") knows Stu's significance - he has translated one Stones book into Finnish - but I guess that belongs under the category of Stones-related items.. But a mention of precoming Stu tribute album would have been nice. But seemingly Charlie - as we know - do not bring up topics by himself...

Oh yeah, Kuloniemi - who really is a blues expert and a guitar player as well - once described The Stones' version of "Little Red Rooster" as "lemonade version"... angry smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-29 10:52 by Doxa.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: April 2, 2011 18:01

"Hello, I'm Charlie Watts.. I'm... a drummer.."

Yeah, that was hilarious smiling smiley

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: April 2, 2011 18:07

oh wow, Esa Kuloniemi did the interview? very cool! i know him. he's a family friend. he was in a band called Honey B and The T-Bones. remember them, Doxa?

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: April 3, 2011 11:34

See you all at Tavastia in Helsinki tonight. There is this drummer having a go at some boogie music that I'm going to check out

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: April 3, 2011 12:36

It would be nice to have a download version.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 3, 2011 18:41

Talking about Charlie, here are a few of his comments:

We always work at least a month to six weeks before we go on the road, usually for something like eight to 12 hours a night. It took six weeks to do it this time. We just play virtually everything we know.
Charlie Watts

When I was a kid I never learned to play. I actually got in bands through watching people play and copying them.
Charlie Watts

When people talk about the '60s I never think that was me there. It was me and I was in it, but I was never enamoured with all that. It's supposed to be sex and drugs and rock and roll and I'm not really like that. I've never really seen the Rolling Stones as anything.
Charlie Watts

You need better technique than I have to play jazz, but what you have to do is the same thing, isn't it?
Charlie Watts

You'd imagine Mick would be the happiest person in the world, and yet a lot of the times he isn't.
Charlie Watts

A lot of our tracks have sounded a lot better than I thought they would because of recording, mixing, and because I probably didn't hear it that way. I'm not a songwriter.
Charlie Watts

For some reason at 12 or 13, I just heard Gerry Milligan and fell in love with that, whatever it was called.
Charlie Watts

I didn't know what the hell Charlie Parker was playing... I just liked the way he played.
Charlie Watts

I don't like drum solos, to be honest with you, but if anybody ever told me he didn't like Buddy Rich I'd right away say go and see him, at least the once.
Charlie Watts

I don't need to hear Bill to go through a song. I need to hear Keith to go through a song. I know Bill will be playing what I'm playing anyway. I need to hear Keith because it's all there: the time, the chord changes, and all the licks you have to follow.
Charlie Watts

I hate leaving home. I love what I do, but I'd love to go home every night.
Charlie Watts

I never had lessons. Used to try to play to records, which I hated doing. Still can't play to them.
Charlie Watts

I saw Al Foster with Miles Davis the other week. It was beautiful. But, the whole thing was, Al Foster played as well as everybody else, but all of them were quite brilliant under Miles Davis' direction.
Charlie Watts

I think it's an awful drink, to be honest with you.
Charlie Watts

I think you get to a point where you watch something just to enjoy it. I don't think it's really done so that you're supposed to feel, Oh, he's the most wonderful drummer. I think the whole lot is what's more enjoyable.
Charlie Watts

I wanted to play drums because I fell in love with the glitter and the lights, but it wasn't about adulation. It was being up there playing.
Charlie Watts

I'm very strict with my packing and have everything in its right place. I never change a rule. I hardly use anything in the hotel room. I wheel my own wardrobe in and that's it.
Charlie Watts

It doesn't really change, actually. I think The Rolling Stones have gotten a lot better. An awful lot better, I think. A lot of people don't, but I think they have, and to me that's gratifying. It's worth it.
Charlie Watts

It's been years and years and years I've been playing the drums, and they're still a challenge. I still enjoy using drumsticks and a snare drum.
Charlie Watts

Mick's not good on his own problems, but he's very good at other people's. He's been wonderful over the years. I don't mean I ring him up every week, but he's fantastic.
Charlie Watts

People say I play real loud. I don't, actually. I'm recorded loud and a lot of that is because we have good engineers. Mick knows what a good drum sound is as well, so that's part of the illusion really. I can't play loud.
Charlie Watts

Rock and roll has probably given more than it's taken.
Charlie Watts

The world of this is a load of crap. You get all these bloody people, so incredibly sycophantic.
Charlie Watts

To be able to play as slow as Al Jackson is almost impossible.
Charlie Watts

Usually I can hear the pianos, the saxophone, and usually I can hear Ronnie. But I really need to listen to Keith and Mick. The rest of the band is sort of an embellishment to that.
Charlie Watts

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 3, 2011 22:08

great quote list, thx...... ya gotta love Charlie.

I think The Rolling Stones have gotten a lot better, an awful lot better, I think. A lot of people don't, but I think they havesmiling smiley

Posted by: Juha ()
Date: April 4, 2011 00:14

I just got home from the show. What a great night!
Charlie was on a good mood and the audience loved the music.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: April 4, 2011 13:40

Really, really great show! To get sober finns to sing and clap their hands a late sunday is next to impossible, but these guys did it. What struck me was the heavy groove Charlie applied the whole evening. Small but powerful moves all the time. And Dave Green played bass solos in almost every song. A pleasure the hear. I have spent the morning and day listening to their record. Can't get enough...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2027
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home