Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Live album with the fewest or none overdubs/edits
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: June 3, 2014 14:00

The Stones have always used overdubs or editings on their live albums. Some of them were clumsy (Got Live If You Want It) some were pretty decent (Get Yer Ya-Yas) some were outrageous (Brown Sugar and Rocks Off on Live Licks). But which live album has the fewest overdubs/edits? Are there overdubs on official bootlegs?

Re: Live album with the fewest or none overdubs/edits
Date: June 3, 2014 14:36

SAL, undoubtly. With zero overdubs.

There are overdubs on the official Hampton bootleg on LSTNT, according to Doxa's good ears.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: June 3, 2014 15:03

It shows on Shine A Light that there were no overdubs. Some of it sounds really bad.

Date: June 3, 2014 15:05

Some of it was really good as well.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: June 3, 2014 15:07

Blueranger
It shows on Shine A Light that there were no overdubs. Some of it sounds really bad.

The first part is fab, the warehorses part is shit.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 3, 2014 15:16

LA Friday, the mess at the beginning of Star, Star (Keith slipped on the fret in the wrong chord) is charming or the completely messed up Happy, the band is out of rhythm for ten or more seconds, but it is my most favorite album by the Stones, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-03 15:17 by RobertJohnson.

Date: June 3, 2014 15:27

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: June 3, 2014 15:29

I wonder if the Stones would ever follow the lead of many other bands like Allman Brothers, Pearl Jam, even the Fixx, that will sell physical CDs/USB Drives at the end of the show with the show on it, or sell a download of the show, immediately after the show ends?

Beats the bootleggers, and the Stones never seem shy about searching for more revenue.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: June 3, 2014 15:43

Live In Texas 1978!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 3, 2014 17:03

"There are no overdubs [on SAL], except for about four seconds of a solo that Ronnie wanted to fix. I also did a few minor edits, for example fixing a chord Keith missed just by cutting and pasting, things like that. But it’s very minimal. I don’t know whether people realise that most artists today spend weeks in the studio redoing things on ‘live’ albums. By contrast, virtually everything on Shine A Light really is live"

Bob Clearmountain

[www.soundonsound.com]

C

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: June 3, 2014 18:44

Ya yas

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: June 4, 2014 00:05

Still life?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 4, 2014 01:21

Wasn't NS pretty dub-free?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 4, 2014 02:13

A very big no to all of the three above.

Keith was doing a lot of overdubbing for the album that became No Security in Paris in the three or four days leading up to the Stade de France show that weekend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-04 02:13 by Gazza.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 4, 2014 02:41

buffalo7478
I wonder if the Stones would ever follow the lead of many other bands like Allman Brothers, Pearl Jam, even the Fixx, that will sell physical CDs/USB Drives at the end of the show with the show on it, or sell a download of the show, immediately after the show ends?

Beats the bootleggers, and the Stones never seem shy about searching for more revenue.

I really wish this would happen. I would buy every show.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 4, 2014 03:30

liddas
"There are no overdubs [on SAL], except for about four seconds of a solo that Ronnie wanted to fix. I also did a few minor edits, for example fixing a chord Keith missed just by cutting and pasting, things like that. But it’s very minimal. I don’t know whether people realise that most artists today spend weeks in the studio redoing things on ‘live’ albums. By contrast, virtually everything on Shine A Light really is live"

Bob Clearmountain

[www.soundonsound.com]

C

Bob Clearmountain is not being entirely Clear with his mountain of a contradiction. First he says there are "no overdubs" then goes on to say that there are "a few seconds" here and "a few minor edits" there. If you have to fix a few things, then you are erasing those things by putting something else in its place--hence, the term overdubbing. Either there are overdubs or there aren't, and obviously Bob Not-Entirely-Clear_mountain has revealed that indeed there are overdubs--several, in fact, no matter how minor he makes them out to be--on Shine A Light.

Well, perhaps we can come away by saying that Shine A Light is the least overdubbed of the live albums.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: June 4, 2014 05:46

stonehearted
liddas

Bob Clearmountain

[www.soundonsound.com]

C

Bob Clearmountain is not being entirely Clear with his mountain of a contradiction. First he says there are "no overdubs" then goes on to say that there are "a few seconds" here and "a few minor edits" there. If you have to fix a few things, then you are erasing those things by putting something else in its place--hence, the term overdubbing. Either there are overdubs or there aren't, and obviously Bob Not-Entirely-Clear_mountain has revealed that indeed there are overdubs--several, in fact, no matter how minor he makes them out to be--on Shine A Light.

Well, perhaps we can come away by saying that Shine A Light is the least overdubbed of the live albums.

Sigh.

Date: June 4, 2014 05:52

Mel Belli
stonehearted
liddas

Bob Clearmountain

[www.soundonsound.com]

C

Sigh.

Belch.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 4, 2014 05:57

Mel Belli
stonehearted
liddas

Bob Clearmountain

[www.soundonsound.com]

C

Sigh.
They have to fix the real mistakes,,,, I'm sure Clearmountain solved much of this by muting stuff that was bad but you can't and shouldn't just leave a clam in there. A recording is for listening, if they admit to one there are more, Bob works quickly.

Date: June 4, 2014 06:20

Seriously... Live In Texas 1978 (aka Handsome Girls) has to be the most non-overdubbed perfect live recording ever released. I still prefer the sound on Handsome Girls, but thats it.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 4, 2014 06:45

The boot Saitama DVD is the unheralded gem in the Stones catalogue. No edits, but a very well-played Bigger Bang show. The boot of the televised Prudential show is a nice no-edits show from the this "tour".

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 4, 2014 06:56

The boot Saitama DVD is the unheralded gem in the Stones catalogue

YEAH that's good un ... no flashy camera work etc .. just a great band on stage

ROCKMAN

Posted by: erad ()
Date: June 4, 2014 08:13

Midnight Rambler from that show is phenonemal.

Date: June 4, 2014 10:17

stonehearted
liddas

Bob Clearmountain

[www.soundonsound.com]

C

Except for the official bootleg live albums

Date: June 4, 2014 10:21

^ But being an old-fashioned record buyer--that is, through record shops or mail order--they're officially unavailable to me. smiling smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 4, 2014 13:48

i have said this before , i wish the glimmers would not EDIT there live albums . i wish the stones would sell live downloads from each and every live show . the glimmers could make a boat load of money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 4, 2014 15:07

TheGreek
i have said this before , i wish the glimmers would not EDIT there live albums . i wish the stones would sell live downloads from each and every live show . the glimmers could make a boat load of money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes!

Date: June 4, 2014 15:20

stonehearted
^ But being an old-fashioned record buyer--that is, through record shops or mail order--they're officially unavailable to me. smiling smiley

Live In Texas on vinyl, then, ok? winking smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 4, 2014 15:20

DandelionPowderman
SAL, undoubtly. With zero overdubs.

There are overdubs on the official Hampton bootleg on LSTNT, according to Doxa's good ears.

And what would that be then? On Still Life yes, but not on the Hampton release I have heard it.

Yesterday I was listening to the Apple Acetate, and something was so clear I don't understand we never heard if before: Keith's rythm guitar on Stray Cat has overdubbed. It starts with a picked guitar line which is a bit out of tune, and then when the heavy guitars comes in at the 'oh yeah you're a strange stray cat' that guitar is overdubbed. You can still hear the original out of tune guitar in the background.

So, at least three guitar overdubs on Ya Ya's.

Mathijs

Date: June 4, 2014 15:23

RobertJohnson
TheGreek

Yes!

I agree completely but I would also mention that we are a minority. The Stones could have done that back in 95 but now they are much less relevant to the pop culture scene. That's the difficulty. Yes they are the greatest, but they are not topping the charts. Their record sales are not what they used to be and I am willing to bet that the bootleg series did not make them much cash. It paid for itself, and may be more profitable over time, but common people did not buy those releases. Fans like us, who already had the bootlegs, bought the live releases. Again, small audience.. small money.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2027
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home