Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT - Pinetop Perkins has passed away
Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: March 22, 2011 21:41

R.I.P. Pinetop, and say "Hello!" to Muddy for us...

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 22, 2011 22:32

sad news - RIP

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: March 23, 2011 00:05

Yeah, Munich. We will miss him at Antones -- like Muddy and all the other ones that have gone before...

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: March 23, 2011 00:44

Amused

if I'm not mistaken, there's only one motherfvcker from the delta left...

-who is left?

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: March 23, 2011 01:00

RaahenTiikeri
Amused

if I'm not mistaken, there's only one motherfvcker from the delta left...

-who is left?

Honeyboy Edwards. He's 95.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 23, 2011 04:13

Saw Pinetop with the Legendary Blues Band in '84. No more than 30 people in the club. They would have sold more tickets if they'd called themselves The Muddy Waters Band, but I guess there were some very good reasons why they couldn't or wouldn't do that. Like I said, only 30 people in the place and NO ONE sitting down front near the stage. I went down front and sat right near Pinetop and mainly just watched HIM all night. "Hey, let Pinetop sing one" I called out at one point. And then Pinetop did sing one, and goddammit it, THAT was the moment I had to get up and go to the bathroom. When I got back to my seat, Pinetop gave me a VERY hard look, a look that said "Don't you EVER get up and walk away when I'm singing, boy!" He shook my hand after the show, though. Anyway, that's my Pinetop Perkins story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-23 04:17 by tatters.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: March 24, 2011 03:41

I met the man in 1978/1979 when he was playing with Muddy in a little out of the way club in Lynn MA. The club had a motel attached to it so naturally we assumed the band was staying there. After the show, we got in the motel and started banging on doors until we found them.

There we were.....5 white high school kids, 5-6 of the best black bluesmen in history, and 1 white groupie with a big bag of weed. We sat around drinking, and Muddy wanted a joint but no one could find her weed. The chick starts screaming "where is my weed?" and everyone is looking at us like we took it. Muddy kept saying "who got the bag o dope?" "Who got tha dope?"

After a few very uncomfortable moments.............Pinetop slowly removes his hat and sure enough.....there was the bag o dope sitting on top of his head.

Funny enough, I was sober that night because I had a cold or something and I remember that night like it was yesterday. We left the room at 8 in the morning and went to school the next day or the day after...

CindyC...............if you are reading this, what was the name of the club on the Lynnway next to Building 19.....right off the bridge to Revere?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 24, 2011 09:28

Amazing that a musician may be active until his death which takes place at the achieved 97 years ... I think he has probably been sitting in one and another smoky room too ...R.I.P. Pinetop !

2 1 2 0

OT, Pinetop Perkins passed away...
Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: March 24, 2011 02:18

Yesterday Bettye Lavette in her concert Madrid, dedicated a song hos friend Pinetop Perkins...

Carlitos
Tenerife

Re: OT, Pinetop Perkins passed away...
Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: March 24, 2011 02:28

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: March 24, 2011 17:12

71Tele
I saw Pinetop with Muddy in 1981. Amazing.

So did I. RIP Pinetop

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 25, 2011 02:24

Brue
71Tele
I saw Pinetop with Muddy in 1981. Amazing.

So did I. RIP Pinetop

I thought Muddy had fired Pinetop and all those guys by then. I saw Muddy in '80 and '81 and he was playing with all the replacement guys.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: March 27, 2011 01:29

Just got back from a ski vacation and had not heard, very sad.

I have a pair of tickets pinned to my bulletin board to see him and Willie Smith on April 28. So close! God bless Mr. Perkins

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-28 17:55 by cbtaco19.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: March 27, 2011 01:49

Word from someone close to the scene back then was that the band that included Pinetop pressured Muddy for money, pretty much giving an ultimatum to him. Muddy wasn't someone prone to caving to untimatums so he said, fine, you're out and I'll get a new band...just what he did.

Some of the members of the new band were terrific - Ray Allison, Luther's son, on drums, John Primer on lead guitar who went on to play with Magic Slim and then on his own, and Rick Kreher who plays with the underrated and little-known Studebaker John and the Hawks. In my view, the weak link of the new band was pianist Lovie Lee who put on a good show but was no Pinetop.

BTW - not knowing specifics it would be unfair to name who instigated the old band into pressuring Muddy. That said, I'm 99.9 percent sure it was not Pinetop.

Posted by: magenta ()
Date: March 27, 2011 08:18

Just this time last week I was sitting next to Pinetop Perkins in Austin.
He was digging Bobby Rush and asking for a cigarette and wishing for a piano. All he got were hugs.

Posted by: Keefy ()
Date: March 27, 2011 19:01

Memorial at Antones in Austin Mon.3/29/11....Lots of guests to be there..

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: March 28, 2011 17:19

Keefy
Memorial at Antones in Austin Mon.3/29/11....Lots of guests to be there..

Quick question for clarification... Is the Memorial On Monday which is the 28th or on Tuesday which is the 29th? Your post implies two different days, Monday and the 29th.

Peace,
MR DJA

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 28, 2011 22:35

inopeng
Word from someone close to the scene back then was that the band that included Pinetop pressured Muddy for money, pretty much giving an ultimatum to him. Muddy wasn't someone prone to caving to untimatums so he said, fine, you're out and I'll get a new band...just what he did.

Some of the members of the new band were terrific - Ray Allison, Luther's son, on drums, John Primer on lead guitar who went on to play with Magic Slim and then on his own, and Rick Kreher who plays with the underrated and little-known Studebaker John and the Hawks. In my view, the weak link of the new band was pianist Lovie Lee who put on a good show but was no Pinetop.

BTW - not knowing specifics it would be unfair to name who instigated the old band into pressuring Muddy. That said, I'm 99.9 percent sure it was not Pinetop.

the guys in the replacement band after muddy fired the lot were relative HACKS, imo. it was one of the lowest moments in my life as a blues fan watching Muddy play with them after having seen him with the greats a few months before.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1843
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home