Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Did your parents like the Rolling Stones?
Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: March 18, 2011 02:21

My father was always more of a Beatles fan, but he likes the Stones a lot too.

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: March 18, 2011 02:33

My parents know that the Stones are maybe the biggest thing ever in showbusiness and maybe they would like to see them live for one time.But musically Stones style is too rock.
Mum was born in 26 july and she knows,because of me,whose others was born in 26 july.

Posted by: hedegaard ()
Date: March 18, 2011 02:49

Both my late father and mother (87 years) liked the stones a LOT - next after Glen Miller (that old jazz-cat, which I also like a lot)

cheers
Bo smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: March 18, 2011 04:14

No - and they still dont!! Heard a lot of Slim Dusty, Jim Reeves,Charley Pride,Johnny Horton when I was a kid - the list goes on.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: March 18, 2011 11:35

My dad is/was more of a Beatles and Stax/Atlantic man but he did buy Big Hits:High Tide when it came out which as a result became the first Stones album i heard. He also saw them live right at the beginning in '63 and remembers them being great. My mum enjoys humming along to sixties hits on the radio but generally has no great interest in music,the Stones or otherwise. In fact i don't think she has ever bought a record.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: March 18, 2011 11:38

My parents were more into french singers although they had the Angie single advertising for the shows in Brussels and Anvers.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 18, 2011 11:39

My kids says Yes !

smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 18, 2011 12:55

My mum and dad were not realy that much into music post Stones, Beatles era and beyond.More into older popular music like Des O'Connor,Alma Cogan,Doris Day,Frank Sinatra etc. Saying that,my mum took us kids to a couple of gigs around '63-65 time at Kingston Granada where The Stones also played in '64. Remember them vividly 'cos one was a Motown show with The Supremes,Stevie Wonder,Martha and the Vandellas and more.The other show was Adam Faith,Sandie Shaw,The Rulettes and a few others.My dear old ma is nearly 85 now so she must have wanted to see these gigs 'cos we were not pestering her to go.So glad she did take me cos' that realy started my interest in live music. smoking smiley

Date: March 18, 2011 13:34

My mom is a huge fan. She played me Tattoo You when I was 10 and by then I was bitten by the bug smiling smiley

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: March 18, 2011 13:44

My mother loved Ray Charles and my father loved swing. He had an amazing collection of 78 rpm albums.

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: March 18, 2011 16:35

My mom likes Beast of Burden...

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: March 18, 2011 17:30

Not a chance. I'm 57 which means my parents were full-fledged members of the "older generation" in the 1960s. While they didn't like any of the music my brothers and I listened to, they would at least sit and watch when the Beatles were on TV. When the Stones were on, my parents would get up and leave the room.

Posted by: oldfan ()
Date: March 18, 2011 17:56

yes. Took Dad to Steel Wheels show when he was 65. loved it!

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: March 18, 2011 17:57

Hell no. My dad even called me during their halftime show at the Super Bowl to say, "I can't believe you pay money to see these clowns."

Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: March 18, 2011 19:40

71Tele
When I was growing up, no. But I took my Mom to the Glendale, AZ show in 2004 (or whenever it was) and she danced in the aisle (she was 70 at the time). She also was very moved by Keith's performance of "Slipping Away"...Still working on Dad.

First thing that came to mind after seen them for the first time (1997) it was "my mother (already 70) has to see this".

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: March 18, 2011 20:28

NO and my mother firmly believed that The Rolling Stones ruined my education and therefore my life.
Bless Her

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: March 18, 2011 20:46

Nope. The Harmonicats were more their speed.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 18, 2011 20:55

Not really my father was born in 1910 mother in '15 they were more into classic although they did liked the Beatles and some of the Stones ballads I'd play for them

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 18, 2011 21:04

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-18 21:05 by Rockman.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: March 19, 2011 01:44

NICOS
Not really my father was born in 1910 mother in '15 they were more into classic although they did liked the Beatles and some of the Stones ballads I'd play for them

My grandmother was born in 1904, & while not exactly a RS fan she loved "That cheeky Mick Jagger" throughout the 60s & 70s.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: March 19, 2011 03:39

Yes, both my parents like the Stones very much. They were born in the 40's so I grew up with the music of the 60's as a kid. In my early teens I hated it all and went for hardcore punk. But then I picked up the guitar myself at the age of 15 and got hooked on the 60's. I guess I had it in my blood all along. smiling smiley

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 19, 2011 17:05

NO!!!!

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: March 19, 2011 17:29

I'm 56, my dad passed when I was 25 and my mom is 79. They both "tolerated" the Stones when they appeared on Ed Sullivan Show and played Time Is On My Side". However, that changed when I played the real version of Let's Spend The Night Together after the Stones changed the lyric to Let's Spend Some Time Together for the Ed Sullivan Show's network censors.

The funny thing is when my mom hears rap music the first words out of her mouth are "you call that music"? I laugh and put on Wild Horses,Angie,As Tears Go By or Moonlight Mile and she'll say "Oh, now that's good music. See how times change.

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: March 19, 2011 18:13

NO. Not at all! They never had any musical culture and understood nothing. Since the 60's they have always been saying that the Stones were dirty long haired kids.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: March 19, 2011 19:18

I have been reading this thread with particular amusement. As I will be 55 next week (I just can't believe it! Where the hell did the time go?), both of my parents were from that "older", conservative generation that grew up during the depression. My father in particular, HATED Mick Jagger & the Rolling Stones and he made his opinion known. If you weren't Sinatra or Crosby, etc. you were a no talent bum (my dad could have been best friends with Archie Bunker, although he definitely was a lot more street wise & with it than Arch). Both my parents also despised John Lennon even more, especially the way he wore his hair in 1969... My mother was equally dumbfounded that "Yesterday" & "Something" were written by the Beatles! As you may have gathered from this post, my musical tastes were the catalyst for much friction in my household growing up....

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: March 19, 2011 22:00

Claire_M
Hell no. My dad even called me during their halftime show at the Super Bowl to say, "I can't believe you pay money to see these clowns."

That's a good one! :-)

My dad is not a fan, but I took him to a concert in 2007, I forced him to stand in the FOS with me and...he liked it. My mum knows they exist and that's it pretty much.

Posted by: crackedglauzer ()
Date: March 20, 2011 00:20

My parents hate them drinking smiley

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: March 20, 2011 16:04

Mutter likes the Stones' music since the 60s. Her first Stones album was "The Rolling Stones" and her 2nd was "No 2". They lost her during their psychedelic rock phase, but the only non-compilation Stones LP she still got is "Exile On Main St."

Her brother enjoys the Stones, too. He's even got some CDs. A singles collection on ABCKO and Love You Live.

Vater got to know the Stones through my mom. I'm not too sure whether he really likes their old music, but he likes Keith's fairly recent country and reggae stuff when I play it.

It's obvious that I got into the Stones music by listening to the albums that my relatives have got. Yet, as a "late borner", I prefer the albums of which I have experienced the release.

Yet, strangely, none of my relatives likes "A Bigger Bang". I believe it's because of the "brickwalled" mastering job it has got. They do like "Voodoo Lounge", "Bridges To Babylon", the new "40 Licks" songs and, to some extent, "Steel Wheels".

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1713
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home