Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Wild Horses and Can't You Hear Me Knockin WAS performed LIVE in Newcastle 1971 !
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 16, 2011 12:44

Everytime somebody mentions these 2 songs being performed live at the early 1971 UK Tour dates, some wise guy will say - "oh but there's plenty of mistakes in Bill Wymans book".....like if that was the only source for the claim

Thanks to Jean Marie's 1971/1973 books, I've finally found it black on white (once again) that both Wild Horses and Can't You Hear Me Knockin was performed.....at least in Newcastle 1971
(it's also mentioned in David Dalton's book which was published in 1971.....allthough not with the same words as these press reports compiled by Jean Marie)

The 2 great books by Jean Marie is available here, btw: [www.iorr.org]

Here a news-article from the performance in Newcastle:

" [....] The rest of the set is built on the emotional platform created by that number ["Midnight Rambler"] A new song follows, "Can't You Hear Me Knocking", fast and jumpy in the same vein as "Jumpin Jack Flash" marred only by some flat picking by Keith on his plexiglass model. His gutty tone makes way for Taylor's more refined approach. Jagger retires for a moment to the sidelines, puts on his cap, and then turns to Jim Price, as if to say "going all right ennit". Another very melodic, new cut called "Wild Horses"- "they couldn't drag me away" sweeps melodically in. [....]"
(from Melody Maker 03/71)

" [....] Somthing old something new. Something borrowed something blue. That was the music menu the Stones served up at the City Hall, Newcastle, last week. [....] Something "new" were things like "White Horses" and "Prodigal Son" [...] "
(from Disc and Music Echo 1971)

Also funny to read the Leeds 1971 article/review, which says this about the Leeds show, concerning the song following "Live With Me" :
" [....] An obscure track from the "Flowers" collection was next, prior to a change of pace and their ode to young groupies "Stray Cat Blues" [....]"

So Dead Flowers is an obscure track from the Flowers collection? Funny!

So, there's no doubt that Wild Horses as well as CYHMK was indeed performed in March 1971.
Just wanted to say that. No need to discuss this at IORR anymore, IOW ! He he
So.....please get them tapes out, you Newcastle folks !

Newcastle 1971....no credits....unpublished photo

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-16 13:33 by Erik_Snow.

Re: Wild Horses and Can't You Hear Me Knockin WAS performed LIVE in 1971
Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: March 16, 2011 12:49

Post of the day (at least), Erik!

Now it's time for the recording to appear ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-16 12:51 by Greenblues.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 16, 2011 12:54

Great job Erik!! Fantastic historical research, and I agree, it seems like a slam dunk that those two were performed. So yup, release them!

Date: March 16, 2011 12:55

Greenblues
Post of the day (at least), Erik!

For some of us, yes!
I bet other board members find this thread silly. But I'm interested in things like these

....btw - Newcastle 1971 photos are welcome !

Date: March 16, 2011 12:56

whitem8
Great job Erik!!

Thanks, whitemate, allthough Jean Marie from France is the person who has done a great job.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 16, 2011 13:00

Yes, but you were the researcher supreme!

Date: March 16, 2011 13:01

Jagger rehearsing with Keith's Armstrong sometime in March 1971

[no credits]

Date: March 16, 2011 13:08

Note:
behind Jagger....the guitar used for Wild Horses

Newcastle 1971 [sorry, no credits]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-16 13:17 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 16, 2011 13:14

Great Erik,...and of course Jean-Marie for digging...
I ´ve got those press-books as well,but to be honest,simply overread it...

Date: March 16, 2011 13:17

I guess I'll dig out my '71 live comp tonight.
And I must get that tour book soon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-16 13:20 by Greenblues.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 16, 2011 13:38

This is great news. Wonder if stuff like this exist in "the vault".

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: March 16, 2011 13:40

Good stuff Erik,on the ball as usuall and no I don't find these threads silly,far more interesting than many others.

Date: March 16, 2011 13:42

Keith and Taylor with some of the same guitars as used in Newcastle

by Chris Walters [courtisy of Rocks Off/Gypsy]

by Chris Walters [courtisy of Rocks Off/Gypsy]

Re: Wild Horses and Can't You Hear Me Knockin WAS performed LIVE in Newcastle 1971 !
Posted by: gwen ()
Date: March 16, 2011 13:45

[en.wikipedia.org]

In Newcastle the set was:

1. "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2. "Live With Me"
3. "Dead Flowers"
4. "Stray Cat Blues"
5. "Love In Vain"
6. "Prodigal Son"
7. "Midnight Rambler"
8. "Bitch"
9. "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'"
10. "Wild Horses"
11. "Honky Tonk Women"
12. "Satisfaction"
13. "Little Queenie"
14. "Brown Sugar"
15. "Street Fighting Man"

Encore:

1. "Sympathy For The Devil"
2. "Let It Rock"

For the rest of the tour some songs were dropped, at certain shows.

Re: Wild Horses and Can't You Hear Me Knockin WAS performed LIVE in Newcastle 1971 !
Date: March 16, 2011 13:47

gwen
[en.wikipedia.org]

In Newcastle the set was:

1. "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2. "Live With Me"
3. "Dead Flowers"
4. "Stray Cat Blues"
5. "Love In Vain"
6. "Prodigal Son"
7. "Midnight Rambler"
8. "Bitch"
9. "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'"
10. "Wild Horses"
11. "Honky Tonk Women"
12. "Satisfaction"
13. "Little Queenie"
14. "Brown Sugar"
15. "Street Fighting Man"

Encore:

2. "Let It Rock"

For the rest of the tour some songs were dropped, at certain shows.

Yes, but what's the source? Now we do have one which is easily available.....luckily

According to Bill Wyman, the 2nd show in Newcastle was quite poor, BTW

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: March 16, 2011 13:54

Interesting to see Keith and MT playing fender's not ampeg amps. Now we need a recording of this show. Very good research!

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: March 16, 2011 14:00

Karnbach/Bernson says two shows at Newcastle
No set list for the 1st show
2nd show
1. "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2. "Live With Me"
3. "Dead Flowers"
4. "Stray Cat Blues"
5. "Love In Vain"
6. "Prodigal Son"
7. "Midnight Rambler"
8. "Bitch"
9. "Honky Tonk Women"
10. "Little Queenie"
11. "Brown Sugar"
12. "Street Fighting Man"
Encore:
2. "Let It Rock"

Sorry - I'm sure that doesn't help much!!

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: March 16, 2011 14:05

Zentgraf:

710304B 4th March: Newcastle, England, City Hall (1st show); unconfirmed set:
(Jumping Jack Flash/Live With Me/Dead Flowers/Stray Cat Blues/Love In Vain/
Wild Horses/Bitch/Honky Tonk Women/Satisfaction/Little Queenie/Brown
Sugar/Street Fighting Man)

710304C 4th March: Newcastle, England, City Hall (2nd show); unconfirmed set:
(Jumping Jack Flash/Live With Me/Dead Flowers/Stray Cat Blues/Love
In Vain/Wild Horses/Bitch/Honky Tonk Women/Satisfaction/Little
Queenie/Brown Sugar/Sympathy For The Devil/Let It Rock)

Date: March 16, 2011 14:11

Thanks

One can argue with Zentgraf - but one can't argue with the news-articles of March 1971.....how would they come up with the titles "Can't You Hear Me Knockin" and "Wild Horses" before the record was released, unless the reporter heard the words with his/her own ears....

IOW....Zentgraf forgot to list CYHMK in his setlist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-16 14:12 by Erik_Snow.

Date: March 16, 2011 14:12

Erik_Snow
Yes, but what's the source?

The wikipedia contributor that edited the set list is registered as Simon DK. The set list was added on June, 13th, 2007.

Date: March 16, 2011 14:14

gwen
Erik_Snow

The wikipedia contributor that edited the set list is registered as Simon DK. The set list was added on June, 13th, 2007.

Thanks, gwen, yes I know - it's still no "source"....it's just a guy named Simon, but nevermind - it confirms the news articles anyway - thanks

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: March 16, 2011 14:19

I wonder who played the electric solo on WH. Since Keith played the clean electric solo on the studio version he has choose not never to play in live in concert after MT left the band.

play the guitar boy

Date: March 16, 2011 14:19

Erik_Snow
Thanks, gwen, yes I know - it's still no "source"....it's just a guy named Simon, but nevermind - it confirms the news articles anyway - thanks

From memory, I remember a Simon DK on some Stones fan board some years ago. So it wouldn't be just any Simon ;-) - Setlist.fm however has a set list for the 1st show and it is similar to Zentgraf.

I'm surprised that Wikipedia seems to have the correct one though, and not the one that was supposed to be correct. Wonder where Simon DK got his info.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 16, 2011 14:28

There must be a couple of thousands of people who were at the show, I presume. How come
none of them is posting here on IORR?

I wonder what the 'flat picking' of Keith during Can't you hear me knocking is about?

Date: March 16, 2011 14:49

Erik_Snow
gwen
Erik_Snow

Isn't that just the setlist from Bill Wyman's book (which would make wikipedia a quite poor source here)?
I remember the term "certain songs were dropped..." being added to most of the setlists in his book (don't have it at hand now).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-16 15:51 by Greenblues.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 16, 2011 16:03

Greenblues
Erik_Snow
gwen
Erik_Snow

Isn't that just the setlist from Bill Wyman's book (which would make wikipedia a quite poor source here)?
I remember the term "certain songs were dropped..." being added to most of the setlists in his book (don't have it at hand now).

Indeed, the Wikipedia setlist is an exact quote from Wyman's book.

Wyman also writes that "The shows at Brighton, Liverpool, Leeds and London were recorded live on the eight-track Stones mobile studio. ... A one hour tape of the Leeds show was presented to Radio One's John Peel for broadcast on 30 May".
(Question: Why did they choose the Leeds tape?)

The four shows recorded were the last shows of the tour, so almost certainly none of them includes Wild Horses or CYHMK. We do have a bootleg of the Coventry gig, which was the third show of the tour, and it doesn't include any odd songs. So it's probable that the Newcastle show was the only occasion where WH and CYHMK were performed, though perhaps they were played in Manchester (the second stop) as well.

Trivia: According to Keith, "Bristol was a gas", as quoted in the book "Classic Rock Albums - Exile On Main St" by John Perry.

Posted by: matsumoto33 ()
Date: March 16, 2011 16:04

OpenG
I wonder who played the electric solo on WH. Since Keith played the clean electric solo on the studio version he has choose not never to play in live in concert after MT left the band.

play the guitar boy

Didn't they play it with Ronnie at Knebworth in 1976?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 16, 2011 16:04

marcovandereijk
There must be a couple of thousands of people who were at the show, I presume. How come
none of them is posting here on IORR?

Probably because it was 40 years ago and they're now around 60 and the vast majority wouldnt be interested in internet Stones sites let alone discussing the minutiae of set lists which, at the time, didnt seem to be of any consequence.

Its easy to forget sometimes that the % of us who give a toss about these things is very small indeed.

However, I include myself in that minority so thanks to jean-marie and Erik for the confirmation of something I've always suspected was correct.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: March 16, 2011 16:12

A shame there is no recording of the Newcastle shows. Always good to hear the odd performances of songs that soon get dropped as the set list firms up.

sc uk

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: March 16, 2011 16:15

This is great news! There has to be some tape of this show.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1770
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home