Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: Wild Horses and Can't You Hear Me Knockin WAS performed LIVE in Newcastle 1971 !
Date: October 24, 2019 18:27

The thread is relevant until we've solved this puzzle, imo smiling smiley

Re: Wild Horses and Can't You Hear Me Knockin WAS performed LIVE in Newcastle 1971 !
Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: October 24, 2019 19:15

Well they should release the d@mn concert!!hot smiley

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 24, 2019 21:06

I think it’s an awesome thread! Plus, I missed much of the early discussion for some reason.

It really is the one concert from that era that is mysterious and elusive because TWO songs were played that we have no live recordings of.

What did the horns do during “Wild Horses”?? How epic was Nicky Hopkins’ piano part!?!

I’d also love to hear the complete Dallas rehearsals and Burbank rehearsals from the ‘72 tour. Plus, I’m sure there are rehearsals for ‘70 and ‘71 that are great.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: October 26, 2019 01:09

Bobby Keys, Bill & Keith are much better sources than anyone on this list, period.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: April 2, 2020 16:25

I found another article from '71 that mentions Wild Horses in Newcastle. This is multiple sources I've read stating it was played there. No mention of Can't You Hear Me Knocking though.

"The Stones with Mick Jagger fresh from the glories of "Performance" bumped and ground their way through the familiar repertory. With four new songs to add spice (including a really beautiful one "Wildhorses"), it took them half an hour to warm up and might have taken a lot longer had they not been helped along by a couple of new recruits on trombones and saxophone (presumably temporary) and Nicky Hopkins their standby from early days on piano."

The other three songs must have been Brown Sugar, Bitch, and Dead Flowers.

[www.theguardian.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-02 16:26 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: ChrisM42 ()
Date: April 2, 2020 19:53

Hearing is believing.

Where is the tape?

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: April 2, 2020 20:02

That would be a great find if it does exist. Since Keith never played his clean electric solo live I would assume Taylor would of played the solo since his country style bends so suited for a solo as evident by his solo on Dead Flowers.

Date: April 2, 2020 20:09

OpenG
That would be a great find if it does exist. Since Keith never played his clean electric solo live I would assume Taylor would of played the solo since his country style bends so suited for a solo as evident by his solo on Dead Flowers.

I'm starting to think they played it more like Sweet Virginia with both Richards and Taylor on acoustic guitar. I'm basing this on the Marquee picture I posted the other day.

Although, they may have played it like Loving Cup in '72, with Richards on acoustic and Taylor on electric. I would love to hear it regardless!

Date: April 2, 2020 20:41

As far as CYHMK, there is a LOT of detail in this interview with Bobby Keys to suggest they did play it once.

NC: Has there ever been any really funny train wreck moments on stage with The Stones?

BK: Yeah, there have been. One time in particular I remember, and this goes back to the song "Can't You Hear Me Knocking". When I first started touring with The Stones, and this would have been the first tour with them; we played in England, Ireland, Scotland. Anyway, we'd just recorded "Can't You Hear Me Knocking". What album is that from, Sticky Fingers?

NC: Yeah, Sticky Fingers.

BK: Yeah, and we were going out to do the first promotional tour of the songs from that album, and this was back when The Stones didn't overly rehearse for a gig. The attitude was like, "Hell, we wrote 'em, we can play 'em." And they could.

NC: So you had to see a later show on the tour to see the band in top form?

BK: Yeah, so it was kind of like, "Well hell, we wrote 'em, we can play 'em. We'll just get up and play 'em." So we're gonna do "Can't You Hear Me Knocking", and I'm as nervous as a ruptured duck in a hailstorm because this is one of the first solos I've got to play with these guys on stage. Well we get into it, and it's going along okay. But on the record when it was done on the studio, that whole second part to the song, that instrumental part, wasn't really planned to go into the song when it was recorded. That just kind of continued on spontaneously; I wasn't even supposed to play on the record. I didn't play on the vocal part of the song, but when they started into that second part I was just sitting out there and had my horn sitting in the stand. I picked up and said, "Hey, this sounds good. I like the last little Latin kind of vibe." So I picked my horn up and looked around — nobody else was playing — so I started playing. I carried on for a while, then Mick Taylor took over and played for a little while, and I came back in and played for a little bit, then we ended the song. I thought, "Wow, that was really fun. That's cool." Then I believe Mick said, "Well that's cool, but it's not going to be on the record." "Oh God. Once again, I'm shot down."

NC: That's incredible. For someone like me, just as an observer, to think that song, or at least that section on that song, could have ended up not making that record — that's unbelievable to me.

BK: Well, it wasn't left off. They put it on. So when we get ready to go out and play, to do the promotional tour for that album, Mick called that song out and we started, got through the first part OK, and then started into the instrumental section and the first part of that went OK, although I was trying to remember what the hell I'd played the first time, and I can't think and play at the same time. [Laughs] It just doesn't work well for me. And apparently other folks in the band were having the same sort of, like, "What the hell are we gonna do? What comes after this?" And so I struggled through my part until I finally got Mick Taylor's attention and said, "Take it over, man. I'm out of gas! Do somethin'." So he started playing and by this point people in the band were just kind of looking at each other realizing, "You know what, we never rehearsed an ending for this thing." [Laughs] You know? "How are we gonna end it?!" And so it just kind of petered out, man. It just fell apart. It was the only time I've been onstage with The Stones when the song just kind of, died.

[www.nashvillescene.com]

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: May 27, 2022 17:51

I think it's time!
If Mocambo can get up, then we need either a full show from 1971 or 1970.

As well as the petition for the MSG 1969 BOX SET !

Date: May 27, 2022 22:05

Eleanor Rigby
I think it's time!
If Mocambo can get up, then we need either a full show from 1971 or 1970.

As well as the petition for the MSG 1969 BOX SET !
'

Well said. Maybe Mick, or the corporation whch now runs the RS concept, has realized there is a good market for these vintage tours, and shows.
IMO I would love nothing more than the obscure Europe tour ';70 done up in full glory

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 28, 2022 13:39

marcovandereijk
There must be a couple of thousands of people who were at the show, I presume. How come
none of them is posting here on IORR?

I wonder what the 'flat picking' of Keith during Can't you hear me knocking is about?

Memory??

Rod

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 28, 2022 14:06

bitusa2012
marcovandereijk
There must be a couple of thousands of people who were at the show, I presume. How come

I wonder what the 'flat picking' of Keith during Can't you hear me knocking is about?

Memory??

if i'd heard cyhmk live in 71 then i would like to think i'd remember that even 51 years later

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 28, 2022 23:47

ProfessorWolf
bitusa2012
marcovandereijk

Memory??

if i'd heard cyhmk live in 71 then i would like to think i'd remember that even 51 years later

Yeah, but we have to remember that for those attended the show back then it was a totally unknown number. STICKY FINGERS was released over a month and a half later. If the latter part of the song was so screwed up, like Stu claims, I guess for many in the crowd it was just some odd jamming the band decided to do in the heat of the moment or something...

- Doxa

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 29, 2022 00:17

marcovandereijk
There must be a couple of thousands of people who were at the show, I presume. How come none of them is posting here on IORR?

Why absolutely nobody who was at the Mocambo gigs joined IORR to tell their story? Maggie Trudeau we await you! Memories from the shows only! grinning smiley

Newcastle 1971- Yahoo Article
Date: March 4, 2023 22:30

I think I have seen similar topics about this. It says they played Wild Horses and Can't You Hear Me Knocking the first night but they were dropped from later shows. It also says the band was "more exceptional form these nights".

So where are the tapes?

[www.yahoo.com]

Re: Newcastle 1971- Yahoo Article
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 5, 2023 02:00

I went to the Brighton show, and indeed the only way for normal people get tickets was to queue all night outside a record shop that was nearby in Brighton's famous Lanes. The down side of that was that I missed seeing The Kinks who were in town that night. The up-side (other, than tickets of course) was that I was handed two posters - which are now more than averagely valuable.

The Brighton show was in the 'Big Apple' - originally a 1930's dance hall. It had a real sprung floor which was definitely moving up and down that evening.

Those were the days my friends!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: kennywilson58 ()
Date: March 5, 2023 09:47

And also I've seen pics from Necastle and Mick taylor and Keith Richard's both have Fender Twin Reverb amps on top of cabinets next to drums infact keith is plugged directly into the amp with the curly guitar lead too any info on this too cheers IORR

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: March 5, 2023 11:16

This must be one of the most discussed topics here.
From what i remember it was played but it fell apart. From what i remember there are no tapes.
Search this forum and you'll find .
Think there is even testimony of people who were there.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: March 5, 2023 12:55

One more time THE link:

[iorr.org]

Date: March 5, 2023 19:13

I for one am glad there is a Yahoo article. Maybe somebody will read it and remember they taped the shows!

Posted by: steenhorst ()
Date: March 6, 2023 12:40

Rumors are CYHMK 4th in Newcastle (second gig) and WH and IGTBlues 5 th in Manchester

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1198
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home