Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What a cover band did; so tasteless!
Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 25, 2014 23:14

My girlfriend is a bartender at a tavern that has live music every Friday night. So this greyed-out weekend warrior type of band (you know the kind, they spend more time yapping about the past than actually playing anything or progressing at rehearsals) decide to cover Jumping Jack Flash.

They dedicated the song to Mick Jagger, who is "going through a very trying time right now." No much of a response from the crowd.

"His girlfriend just killed herself".

Well yeah, that got a reaction, but not the kind of reaction that a "professional" band wants to get out of a bar on a Friday night.

Asking why he said such a thing on the microphone, he told me that he's "too much of a fan of The Stones to not say anything". Pretending that I know next to nothing about the situation, and not mentioning that I'm a full time musician myself, I asked him if bumming out the crowd like that was a good idea or not".

"We musicians have to stick together, you wouldn't understand", was what he said to me.

I had no words for him after that.
That was hard-fail... on SO many levels.
What an complete and absolute fool.
Part of me wanted to tell them all to just stay the $%&@ home.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-25 23:15 by jamesfdouglas.

Re: What a cover band did; so tasteless!
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 25, 2014 23:34

yep ..that's a sorry example of cheap attention getting tactic..

bet their cover sucked too..

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: March 26, 2014 00:51

Sounds like he meant well. Many of the musicians I've met over the years aren't very bright. Don't over think it. Was just a dumb comment, with likely no malice intended.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 26, 2014 07:36

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-28 23:38 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: March 26, 2014 07:39

The brainlessness of some people can be truly asounding sometimes.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 26, 2014 09:21

Perhaps opening up a few boxes full of dead, half dead and some alive butterflies would have been better.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 26, 2014 09:48

His Majesty
Perhaps opening up a few boxes full of dead, half dead and some alive butterflies would have been better.

Have you seen those 'Brian Jones Swimming Club' T-shirts? Back in the 80's I saw a few of them. Tasteless or a bit harsh humour, I don't know...

- Doxa

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 26, 2014 12:39

does not sound like much of a fan to me ,with a remark like that !

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 26, 2014 12:42

It funny how times change, and how times and aging of course change the artists as well as their fans. We all grow older. Had this been in 1976 the crowd had gone wild because they'd interpret it as a "punky" thing to say. And the Stones image - back in 1977/1978 - had "gained" from the tragedy in the same way their image forever changed when Brian died. Not that they'd want or seek it but their image changed.

Please please PLEASE don't report this as offensive. It's not meant that way, Im not saying Mick or anybody is gaining anything from what's happened now. Not at all. Of course not. In no way. I'm just commenting on what this coverband did and how different a crowd could have reacted in 1976/1977 because of the punk movement, what the Rolling Stones represented back in 1976 and how they used the media in 1977/1978. It has nothing to do with now.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 26, 2014 13:14

jamesfdouglas
Bar band decides to cover Jumping Jack Flash.

They dedicated the song to Mick Jagger, who is "going through a very trying time right now." No much of a response from the crowd.

Well, she did...................confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-26 13:15 by EddieByword.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: March 26, 2014 14:08

what a heartbreaking little story.

this band should be banned immediately from here and there and everywhere else, too.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: March 26, 2014 14:34

Yep..bit like Keith's comment about Elton writing songs about dead women..
But hey..we laugh about that...

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 26, 2014 15:14

The band was playing in a local tavern on a Friday night right? Don't be offended. The guy doesn't sound to bright.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-26 15:24 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: March 26, 2014 15:18

silkcut1978_
what a heartbreaking little story.

this band should be banned immediately from here and there and everywhere else, too.

A post that truly embraces the spirit of the new IORR.org.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: March 26, 2014 16:19

Hmmmm...I don't see anything particularly offensive. Sounds like in his own perhaps clumsy way the guy was trying to make a simple gesture of support- no different than dozen (or hundreds) of posts on this site. At least he didn't indulge in an obsessive fan fantasy that he knows the people involved, their relationships with each other, their motivations or whats best for them. Lighten up Francis....

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: March 26, 2014 16:40

roryfaninva
Hmmmm...I don't see anything particularly offensive. Sounds like in his own perhaps clumsy way the guy was trying to make a simple gesture of support- no different than dozen (or hundreds) of posts on this site. At least he didn't indulge in an obsessive fan fantasy that he knows the people involved, their relationships with each other, their motivations or whats best for them. Lighten up Francis....

i think the quote "His girlfriend just killed herself" was pretty crude. Why not just say passed away or lost her life.

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: March 26, 2014 16:51

Honestly, some people really do try too hard to be rock and roll. It's all getting a little tedious.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: March 26, 2014 17:06

Does this band play any Nirvana covers?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 26, 2014 17:17

Tasteless? Which song did they play then?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-26 17:37 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: March 26, 2014 17:24

roryfaninva
Hmmmm...I don't see anything particularly offensive. ..

Exactly. Sounds like the OP is trying really, really hard to be offended.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: March 26, 2014 17:44

stanlove
roryfaninva

Yeah, it doesn't seem to me any offense was intended....

Date: March 26, 2014 18:04

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-28 23:37 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: March 26, 2014 18:26

jamesfdouglas
My girlfriend is a bartender at a tavern that has live music every Friday night. So this greyed-out weekend warrior type of band (you know the kind, they spend more time yapping about the past than actually playing anything or progressing at rehearsals) decide to cover Jumping Jack Flash.

Well yeah, that got a reaction, but not the kind of reaction that a "professional" band wants to get out of a bar on a Friday night.

Asking why he said such a thing on the microphone, he told me that he's "too much of a fan of The Stones to not say anything". Pretending that I know next to nothing about the situation, and not mentioning that I'm a full time musician myself, I asked him if bumming out the crowd like that was a good idea or not".

"We musicians have to stick together, you wouldn't understand", was what he said to me.

I had no words for him after that.
That was hard-fail... on SO many levels.
What an complete and absolute fool.
Part of me wanted to tell them all to just stay the $%&@ home.

methinks you overreacting a bit

Date: March 26, 2014 18:30

Greyed out weekend warriors are the backbone of the whole thing, dammit. We are legion!

Date: March 26, 2014 18:37

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-28 23:37 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: March 26, 2014 18:59

There you go, yapping about the past again! winking smiley

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: March 26, 2014 19:01

Max'sKansasCity
roryfaninva
Greyed out weekend warriors are the backbone of the whole thing, dammit. We are legion!
I even thought that back when I was kid, I never thought of older dudes as being lessor.

I just dont understand the Pokémon generation.

Date: March 26, 2014 19:16

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-28 23:36 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: March 26, 2014 19:16

Max'sKansasCity
SweetThing
stanlove
roryfaninva

Yeah, it doesn't seem to me any offense was intended....

I dont know about that, this sounds like it was meant to offend-
" this greyed-out weekend warrior type of band (you know the kind, they spend more time yapping about the past than actually playing anything or progressing at rehearsals) "

Interesting. I took that statement from the OP as a bit of "Righteous Indignation" (that I most likely wouldn't agree with). It seemed in his post that he was offended by the band before they even meantioned Mick & L'wren. If I remember correctly, based on some of his posts here in the last year or so, I think even the Stones, as a band, offend him from time to time for some of the same reasons he used to put down the local band.

Much ado about nothing really. I've seen "full time musicians" be condescending to local, weekend warriors for the better part of three decades now. Nothing new there. I've also seen people struggle to communicate with an audience effectively when they don't get much practice doing it. Pretty common actually.

One thing I do know is that, when my band played "Honky Tonk Women" last Saturday night, I just started the song with no spoken introduction and watched the progression of people to the dance floor. (I just LOVE watching what that little two note riff can do!) Didn't even enter my mind to say something about Mick, L'Wren or the Stones.

James has his opinion, the local guy has his, and we all have ours. Hopefully no one is offended by any of mine above. At least not to the point of reporting me to bv. I don't think I'm out of line but still don't relish the thought of being banned over a misunderstanding.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: March 26, 2014 19:21

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-28 23:36 by Max'sKansasCity.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1795
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home