Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - Jackson Browne - Stones mention
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: March 12, 2011 18:11

My recent interview with him - [blog.beliefnet.com]

After I interviewed him, we talked for awhile and I told him how I'd read in Keith's book that he'd listened to Running n Empty during the Some Girls sessions- interested in the live, spontaneous mood of the album.

Jackson, a huge Stones fan, had not heard that, and was totally knocked out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-12 18:12 by hbwriter.

Re: OT - Jackson Browne - Stones mention
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 12, 2011 20:42

hbwriter
My recent interview with him - [blog.beliefnet.com]

After I interviewed him, we talked for awhile and I told him how I'd read in Keith's book that he'd listened to Running n Empty during the Some Girls sessions- interested in the live, spontaneous mood of the album.

Jackson, a huge Stones fan, had not heard that, and was totally knocked out

That was one of the really unpredictable things in "Life". I was never a huge Browne fan, and I always considered the Stones and him miles apart, but I love "Running On Empty" and at the time I was reading "Life" I had that song going through my head for days. Then I get to the part where Keith says he listened to it and it blew me away (almost as much as Bobby Goldsboro showing him open tuning). "Running On Empty" is such a great track - and also in open G for Browne's guitar. And of course it has that great David Lindley lap steel part.

Date: March 12, 2011 22:11

he told me that for him, growing up, it was the stones and dylan

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: March 13, 2011 12:07

I used to really love his work; he is a fantastic lyricist. Then he got too political and there was the scandal about him bashing up his gf Darryl Hannah.

I don't think Brian's violence toward women was generally known til after his death, and the Stones books started to be written. There was no internet back then. If it had been widely publicised, I wonder if the Stones' popularity would have suffered, just as Mel Gibson's, Michael Jackson's and John Galliano's have since unpleasant scandals have occurred. Not to mention Gary Glitter, of course.

Date: March 13, 2011 16:19

Bliss--for what it's worth - that "scandal" was debunked by the cops - the true sandal appeared to be the fact that she made a habit of accusing people of things they did not do

Date: March 13, 2011 20:00

>>Bliss--for what it's worth - that "scandal" was debunked by the cops

Yes I know. But her uncle, cinematographer Haskell Wexler, claims that he took photos of her in hospital all bruised and bashed up following that incident.

Joni Mitchell claims he hit her also, and he inspired her suicide attempt, along with the suicide of his wife. He had met his wife through getting into a fight with her boyfriend at the time.

Might be a good idea for women to steer clear of this homme fatale.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 13, 2011 20:04

Bliss

Yes I know. But her uncle, cinematographer Haskell Wexler, claims that he took photos of her in hospital all bruised and bashed up following that incident.

Joni Mitchell claims he hit her also, and he inspired her suicide attempt, along with the suicide of his wife. He had met his wife through getting into a fight with her boyfriend at the time.

But I thought he was supposed to be all "mellow" and stuff.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 13, 2011 22:09

Shame on me I only know this song from Jackson..........

Just listen to "Running on Empty" great song

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 13, 2011 23:29

Date: March 13, 2011 23:53

Bliss

"Claims" he took pictures - Joni Mitchell "claims" he hit her also -

can you please post the pictures and the Joni Mitchell quotes?

Russ Paris, who maintains the Unofficial Jackson Browne Homepage:

"Nothing ever happened. No charges were filed since there was nothing to file charges over.

Tell people not to believe everything they read in the tabloids.

Based on what I've read and the people I've spoken with, it is my understanding that Jackson called the police that night (she was moving out and he accused her of taking things that didn't belong to her) and if there had been ANY chance that anyone struck anyone else, the police are required by law to have looked into it. All the officers on the scene denied any such thing. Jackson and Daryl have both denied the incident at different times... Jackson at the time and Daryl a number of years later.

Most of the people involved at the time seem to believe that Daryl was upset at their breakup and made up the story as a way to get back at Jackson... and then it got out of her control when the tabloids picked it up. Daryl's ex-boyfriends -- including JFK Jr. -- all say she was capable of that and more... But Jackson has said that he didn't want to drag her reputation through the mud in spite of what she did to his reputation.

Now, it's something that he's got to live with for the rest of his life, 'cause this stuff never goes away. It's really too bad.

Russ"

Date: March 14, 2011 01:46

His stuff all kinda sounds the same to me, but wasn't that a nice use of Late For The Sky in Taxi Driver? Do ya think LFTS was really ever played on American Bandstand, though, the way it's made to appear on Travis Bickle's TV set? Not exactly a great dance tune. Running On Empty always reminds me of the road trip to see the Stones at JFK in '78. It was all over the radio then.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 14, 2011 02:03

I LOVE tons of his stuff. Really think he's great.

Abuser? Not sure.

However, he got (I named this disease for him) Jackson Browne disease - symptoms are: (1) thinking one is a "artiste" instead of a rocker (2) thinking the world wants to hear one's political opinions (we all got 'em, I won't torture you with mine) and (3) becoming self-righteous.

Other victims of this tragic fate are Bono, Sting, Johnny Cougar (AKA John Mellencamp), Bruce (terminal case), Seger (occasional flare-ups), and Neil Young. It siphons off fun and is a career killer.

Even Mick Jagger has bouts with this dreaded virus. Rockers beware!

Did I mention that love lots of his stuff?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 14, 2011 04:38

Elmo Lewis

Abuser? Not sure.

However, he got (I named this disease for him) Jackson Browne disease - symptoms are: (1) thinking one is a "artiste" instead of a rocker (2) thinking the world wants to hear one's political opinions (we all got 'em, I won't torture you with mine) and (3) becoming self-righteous.

Other victims of this tragic fate are Bono, Sting, Johnny Cougar (AKA John Mellencamp), Bruce (terminal case), Seger (occasional flare-ups), and Neil Young. It siphons off fun and is a career killer.

Career killer? All the people you mentioned,have been and continue to be very successful. I think it just shows that in spite of an artist spewing out their political views. It still comes down to music. Play it well and people will listen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-14 05:34 by sweetcharmedlife.

Date: March 14, 2011 05:08

sweetcharmedlife
Elmo Lewis

Abuser? Not sure.

Career killer? All the people you mentioned,have been and continue to be very successful. I think it just shows that in spite of an artist spewing out their political views. It still ocmes down to music. Play it well and people will listen.

exactly - it might stem some of the commercial success for a while - but the artist stays true to his beliefs - why not celebrate that - even if you no longer care for the music?

I can tell you this - I've spent some decent time this year with this guy - when it comes to walking it like he talks it it - jackson browne is amazing - there is no plastic allowed backstage - none - i was backstage the other night in long beach - he is vigilant - now, the local union goons may snicker behind his back but you know what? he could care less

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: March 14, 2011 06:47

Jackson Browne! Yuck! I think these guys got it right:

[www.warr.org]

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 14, 2011 07:16

NICOS wrote:

"Shame on me I only know this song from Jackson.........."

I believe the first person to ever record and release a Jackson Browne song was .... Nico. "These Days" on her first solo album CHELSEA GIRL.

Date: March 14, 2011 09:05

Here is the account of JB hitting JM:

[www.girlslikeusthemusic.com]

>>One night they had a fight at the Sunset Strip club, the Roxy. Her friend recalls: "Joni said Jackson Browne Jackson had dissed her onstage and she was walking upstairs and he was walking down." A verbal argument, she claimed, led to Jackson hitting her, and she ran out into the street without her shoes. "This was the first time a man ever hit Joni." (People who know Jackson Browne say he is not a violent man.)

Nevertheless, Joni remained in love with Jackson. Newly lionized, handsomer now that time had slightly lined his baby face, well placed in the Troubadour-Canyon elite, six years younger than she: the power was shifting, and all her worshipful reviews wouldn't change that. When she first came to the Canyon, she'd been the awe-inspiring queen. Now, the gravity of sexism (or reality) had pulled her down a notch. He had the advantage.

in Joni Mitchell, Chapter 14 | Permalink | Comments (0)

The account goes on to detail how she made a suicide attempt and had a breakdown after they broke up which resulted in residential treatment in a mental facility. This is quite a well-researched book.

The suicide of JB's wife is well-documented (or do you want to dispute that?). It could equally be that JB has a fatal attraction to very unstable women.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 14, 2011 10:03

> It could equally be that JB has a fatal attraction to very unstable women.

You think that Joni is an unstable woman?

Date: March 14, 2011 10:16

Glam Descendant
> It could equally be that JB has a fatal attraction to very unstable women.

You think that Joni is an unstable woman?

The account of her behaviour following the break-up of her short r'ship with Jackson Browne - a violent suicide attempt followed by a breakdown - suggests that she was at the time.

I am a big fan of her work, just as I have a lot of regard for Jackson Browne's, especially his lyrics. I think neither of them has gotten the credit they really deserve as lyricists.

Date: March 14, 2011 10:48

Here is some info on JB's wife, with a startling Stones link:

>>Joni remained deeply angry at Jackson for years. The Jackson Browne story had a tragic dimension that kept it smoldering for Joni. Shortly before or after she married Jackson (in December 1975, two years after their song was born), Phyllis Major attempted suicide. (Though not many people knew it, this was not the Phyllis Major emotionally turbulent young woman's first suicide attempt; she had also attempted suicide over Keith Richards some years earlier.) People in Jackson's and Phyllis's immediate circle knew about the attempt this time - among other things, she'd discreetly stolen drugs from them for that purpose. She left notes for everybody saying "I'm sorry" and words to the effect of "I can't stand the pain." Phyllis was revived in time...

Date: March 14, 2011 15:13

Bliss
Here is the account of JB hitting JM:

>>One night they had a fight at the Sunset Strip club, the Roxy. Her friend recalls: "Joni said Jackson Browne Jackson had dissed her onstage and she was walking upstairs and he was walking down." A verbal argument, she claimed, led to Jackson hitting her, and she ran out into the street without her shoes. "This was the first time a man ever hit Joni." (People who know Jackson Browne say he is not a violent man.)

Nevertheless, Joni remained in love with Jackson. Newly lionized, handsomer now that time had slightly lined his baby face, well placed in the Troubadour-Canyon elite, six years younger than she: the power was shifting, and all her worshipful reviews wouldn't change that. When she first came to the Canyon, she'd been the awe-inspiring queen. Now, the gravity of sexism (or reality) had pulled her down a notch. He had the advantage.

in Joni Mitchell, Chapter 14 | Permalink | Comments (0)

The account goes on to detail how she made a suicide attempt and had a breakdown after they broke up which resulted in residential treatment in a mental facility. This is quite a well-researched book.

The suicide of JB's wife is well-documented (or do you want to dispute that?). It could equally be that JB has a fatal attraction to very unstable women.

Whenever I read - " a friend recalled" - I run the other way - sorry - these are not direct quotes

Date: March 14, 2011 15:54

He sounds like a real mean mistreater!

Date: March 14, 2011 21:53

>>Whenever I read - " a friend recalled" - I run the other way - sorry - these are not direct quote

The violent suicide attempt was documented well enough; David Geffen rescued her. Plus the subsequent breakdown and treatment in a metal facility.

As I said, it could be that JB was attracted to unstable women , or it could be he's a guy who drove two women he was involved with to try to kill themselves, one of whom succeeded.

Date: March 14, 2011 22:29

Bliss--there is so much heresay, rumor and speculation in all of this stuff you've posted that I think it's utterly irresponsible - very little basis for any of it- he's never once had a charge filed against him - not even close - so rehashing it all is just another mild form of slander

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 15, 2011 04:32

I loved the Running on Empty lp (along with The Pretender), it was one of my first albums, so it was nice to read of Keith's appreciation. I loved that mid-late period of songwriters like Browne. I remember reading interviews with Browne at the time of "Hold Out" and he spoke about what he had gone through after his wife's suicide and that many of his songs on Empty were a consequence of that. It was always something vague to me though, never knew the real circumstances. I do remember the single "Boulevard" was released right before the Stones Emotional Rescue...One of my favorite songs from the 80s was Browne's "For America", about US intervention, imperialism in Central America - its still one of the best songs about US foreign policy vs American ideals. The song, RUnning on Empty is still a great song.
Bliss, I also read those allegations about Browne, so Im not sure what to believe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-15 04:34 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: March 15, 2011 07:27

hbwriter
Whenever I read - " a friend recalled" - I run the other way - sorry - these are not direct quotes

hbwriter
Bliss--there is so much heresay, rumor and speculation in all of this stuff you've posted that I think it's utterly irresponsible - very little basis for any of it- he's never once had a charge filed against him - not even close - so rehashing it all is just another mild form of slander

Really, hb? I mean no disrespect to you, but do you care to revisit all the "heresay, rumor and speculation" you were willing to repeat as facts in your Scott Cantrell thread?

It's human nature to take one side of something. You believe Jackson's side, possibly because you've spent time with him, and feel you have enough sense of him as a person, to believe the abuse he was accused of isn't in his nature. But that doesn't mean it isn't, or that he did or didn't do it.

For what it's worth, I actually lean towards believing Jackson. But it's all spurious at best, and lack of charges being filed doesn't fully prove or disprove anything. It's as much he said/she said hearsay on Jackson's side, as it is on Joni and Daryl's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-15 07:34 by bustedtrousers.

Date: March 15, 2011 07:52

bustedtrousers
hbwriter

hbwriter

Really, hb? I mean no disrespect to you, but do you care to revisit all the "heresay, rumor and speculation" you were willing to repeat as facts in your Scott Cantrell thread?

It's human nature to take one side of something. You believe Jackson's side, possibly because you've spent time with him, and feel you have enough sense of him as a person, to believe the abuse he was accused of isn't in his nature. But that doesn't mean it isn't, or that he did or didn't do it.

For what it's worth, I actually lean towards believing Jackson. But it's all spurious at best, and lack of charges being filed doesn't fully prove or disprove anything. It's as much he said/she said hearsay on Jackson's side, as it is on Joni and Daryl's.

What "heresay, rumor and speculation" did I repeat as facts in that instance? If you're going to suggest that, you should be prepared to back it up - my opinion in that matter was that Keith Richards acted like a total a-hole in recounting what happened - and that the facts as they were related in the book did not exactly hold up against any sort of light - and I stand by all of that - and all of that was based on *their own words* - keith's, anita's and marlon's - this stuff being suggested here is all friend-of-a-friend speculation - it's a little different - if you had daryl hannah and jackson browne on the record talking about this, then your analogy would be right - but we don't.

And me spending time with Jackson Browne, I promise you (x1000) has nothing to do with my point of view. I always thought it was trumped up, and i don't get that impressed meeting people

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 15, 2011 08:11

For me it's all about the music.

I have a friend who stopped listening to all the music he loved because of the artists political views. That's his loss. Especially now he complains there is nothing to listen to. Again, his loss. If the music is good, I could care less about their politics (even if I have strong political beliefs.)

Sorry Jackson!

"

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: March 15, 2011 10:54

hbwriter
bustedtrousers
hbwriter

hbwriter

What "heresay, rumor and speculation" did I repeat as facts in that instance? If you're going to suggest that, you should be prepared to back it up - my opinion in that matter was that Keith Richards acted like a total a-hole in recounting what happened - and that the facts as they were related in the book did not exactly hold up against any sort of light - and I stand by all of that - and all of that was based on *their own words* - keith's, anita's and marlon's - this stuff being suggested here is all friend-of-a-friend speculation - it's a little different - if you had daryl hannah and jackson browne on the record talking about this, then your analogy would be right - but we don't.

And me spending time with Jackson Browne, I promise you (x1000) has nothing to do with my point of view. I always thought it was trumped up, and i don't get that impressed meeting people

I didn't mean you were starstruck. I understand your work has brought you contact with many people like Jackson, and you must be used to it by now. I meant that meeting him MAY have given you a more personal sense of his character, and possibly influenced your thoughts on him. You don't have to be easily impressed to have that happen, it tends to be a natural part of human interaction.

And to be honest, I actually don't feel like backing up my suggestion. That thread is way too long, and I don't care enough about this issue to dig through it. Suffice to say, I recall you getting quite a bit of flack in that thread, for coming to conclusions that many didn't feel were based in fact.

I'm not getting caught up in a five page pissing match. It's all there for whoever wants to look it up and decide for themselves.

Date: March 15, 2011 13:25

It's true that there are equally compelling claims on both sides as to whether JB bashed up Daryl Hannah. If Haskell Wexler did indeed have photos of her in hospital following the alleged attack, then why didn't he present them and why didn't she press charges? And if he didn't, why did he make this public statement?

For me, what is unsavoury about JB is his wife's suicide, and JM's suicide attempt and breakdown after he broke up with her. Even though he might be entirely innocent in both these cases, ie, they were both unhinged to begin with, or it was just a terrible coincidence, knowing this would make me want to stay far away from a man like this. I would always wonder, what did he do to push them over the edge?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2014
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home