Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Good Decisions The Stones had made for their Band
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: March 10, 2011 23:05

What are some of the good decisions The Stones had made for their band that you were pleased with.My would have to be one of the reasons they decided on picking Ronnie as their new guitarist over the others..was because he's english.All The Stones felt they should retain the nationality of the band at the time.For The Stones wanting to keep their band all english was certainly a good decision.

Re: Good Decisions The Stones had made for their Band
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 10, 2011 23:12

One is to keep it rolling for 48 years now...smileys with beer

2 1 2 0

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: March 10, 2011 23:14

colonial, you spelled "you" wrong.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: March 10, 2011 23:33

To part ways with Brian Jones and bring in Taylor as a fulltime member. The new sound that began with Beggars Banquet demanded a second guitar player more than before and since Brian couldn't do it because of his issues and the band couldn't afford to wait for him to get his life together I believe they made the right choice.

It just sad that Brian never got the chance to find another band and live longer with his new found energy at Cotchford. Even though he got his act somewhat together after he had left the Stones I don't think that he would have liked to join them again if he was asked to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-10 23:36 by tonterapi.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: March 10, 2011 23:38

Getting together with Andrew has probably been the wisest decision of their career.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 11, 2011 07:39

Staying off the road since 2007.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 11, 2011 08:30

JimmyMiller...Snakeskinboots....Satisfaction...RedRooster....CockySuckerBlues....Nellcote....JackNitzsche....Blues

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 11, 2011 08:37

Not being afraid of doing effete things like LADY JANE or Mick singing falsetto. Some rock bands would be too image conscious regarding being a rock band.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 11, 2011 08:56

playing what they love
and the band name (with the G!)

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: March 11, 2011 09:23

Not being afraid to co-opt other styles of music which they perhaps did best with Some Girls. Some songs are of course better than others but they are all powerful. There is a wide range of emerging trends in music being utilized by The Stones on that one and older ones too. Whichever genre they were playing with during the various Some Girls tracks, well, they nailed them!

Another great question from Colonial!
Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: March 11, 2011 09:24

Mick and Keith burying their differences in the late 80s and reviving the band.

Choosing Mick Taylor to replace Brian.

Keith separating from Anita, though it should have been done. before the Toronto bust.

Mick separating from Marianne.

Mick doing 'Performance' (a unique film, whether or not you like it).

Not releasing the film 'CS Blues' when it came out.

Getting rid of Allen Klein and hiring Prince Rupert.

Hiring excellent session musicians: Ry Cooder, Bobby Keys, Jim Price, Jim Dickinson, Billy Preston, Wayne Perkins, etc.

Using excellent producers, notably Jimmy Miller and Jack Nietsche.

Allowing Brian to use varied and unusual instruments like the sitar and mellotron.

Mick allowing himself to be influenced by Bob Dylan in his late 60s lyrics.

Going against the current trend in 1968 and using blues material in Beggars Banquet.

Making Exile a double album.

Not their own decision, but using the wonderful white cover on Beggars Banquet, with the fantastic inner photograph.

The 3-D cover on Satanic Majesties.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-11 09:36 by Bliss.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 11, 2011 09:53

Not allowing Ron to ever design an album cover....

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: March 11, 2011 09:59

a good decision was to be "avant-gardist" (do you have this word in english ?)
They often innovated stages, influenced lots of other musicians, inspired punk music ("Please go home"), have succeeded in mixing different musical styles to make a unique one

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 11, 2011 14:42

Erm, the trend in 68 was to get rootsy and they didn't allow Brian to experiment with various instruments he chose to and did it because he wanted too.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 12, 2011 08:02

To dump their message board on their own site. To post on it you had to be a paid fan club member. And I've never seen such concentrated, vicious, hate-filled anti-Stones commentary in my life. Of all places. Probably posted by a bunch of losers who've never accomplished much worth bragging about in their own lives. (You see hypercritical losers on this site, too, but such commentary is diluted by enough upbeat, positive fans.) Maybe why Mickjagger.com no longer has a message board, either.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: March 12, 2011 10:49

Getting out of Altamont - quick - in a helecopter.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 12, 2011 10:51

colonial
What are some of the good decisions The Stones had made for their band that you were pleased with.My would have to be one of the reasons they decided on picking Ronnie as their new guitarist over the others..was because he's english.All The Stones felt they should retain the nationality of the band at the time.For The Stones wanting to keep their band all english was certainly a good decision.

Good point, but I always thought that only an English bassplayer should
have replaced Bill.

Posted by: SpanishStone ()
Date: March 12, 2011 10:53

Touring!!

[www.stonescovers.com]
@Stones_Covers
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 12, 2011 11:29

colonial

confused smiley

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: March 12, 2011 12:42

TooTough
colonial

have replaced Bill.

Daryll is a sideman and always will be. Bill was and always will be - a Stone.

scuk

Date: March 12, 2011 12:48

Daryll is a sideman and always will be. Bill was and always will be - a Stone. scuk

That´s not contrary to what I have said, sc. I never accepted Darryl as a "Stone".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-12 12:49 by TooTough.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 12, 2011 14:06

TooTough
colonial

have replaced Bill.

But that's just it. Bill wasn't "replaced" in the group at all.

Date: March 12, 2011 14:17

71Tele
TooTough
colonial

have replaced Bill.

So there´s no bassplayer in The Stones???

I know what you mean grinning smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 12, 2011 14:18

71Tele
TooTough
colonial

have replaced Bill.

Neither was Mick Taylor.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 12, 2011 15:17

Title5Take1
Not being afraid of doing effete things like LADY JANE or Mick singing falsetto. Some rock bands would be too image conscious regarding being a rock band.

This was certainly not a concious "decision", but I agree. The Stones have always been masters at incorporating non-rock/blues styles into their bluesrock -- at the same time always staying very "rock 'n' roll" and cool, even when singing stuff like As Tears Go By and Fool To Cry.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 12, 2011 16:16

i always thought it'd a good move to bring in a pakistani into the fold. very few bands go in that direction and it would have separated them from the pa(c)k, so to speak....

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 12, 2011 16:38

Rockman

JimmyMiller...Snakeskinboots....Satisfaction...RedRooster....CockySuckerBlues....Nellcote....JackNitzsche....Blues

Rockman, you mean choosing that as their logo? number 1 good decision? agree 100% if thats your meaning..

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 12, 2011 18:41

.....Prince Rupert Loewenstein.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 12, 2011 19:05

Rockman, that was not the logo they chose! It was this one!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 13, 2011 01:26

I was gonna mention their logo too. Excellent marketing/branding tool. It's got attitude, and most importantly, "Mick" written all over it.

[thepowergoats.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1865
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home