Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT--Top 'o the Morn St. Patty's Day Mar. 17
Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: March 11, 2014 07:49

Monday next already! So, what are our pet drink favs? I'm doing Mint Juleps with fresh mint from my garden (with some strong brew) & feasting on colcannon & corned beef w/all the trimmins'.
And do be careful out there all as the Full Moon hits the day before, Sunday so plenty of obnoxious drunks will be on the road....smileys with beer

Re: OT--Top 'o the Morn St. Patty's Day Mar. 17
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 11, 2014 10:48

HAPPY ST PATRICK'S DAY!

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: March 11, 2014 12:04

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out ...Thàt's what I call "Living up to the occasion"...
Go strong, Owlbynite! And Happy St. Patrick's Day to (all of) you!

Posted by: textmonkey ()
Date: March 11, 2014 13:15

just so y'all know, there's not one self respecting Irishman who'd EVER refer to March 17th as St Patty's Day...

St Patrick's Day? Fine
St Paddy's Day? If you must

St PATTY'S Day? Patty's a girls name. Like Marge Simpsons's sister. Or Keith's missus...

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: March 11, 2014 13:52

textmonkey
just so y'all know, there's not one self respecting Irishman who'd EVER refer to March 17th as St Patty's Day...

St Patrick's Day? Fine

St PATTY'S Day? Patty's a girls name. Like Marge Simpsons's sister. Or Keith's missus...

I'm not even Irish and I was offended by that (Patty - not your comment text monkey)

Posted by: DD ()
Date: March 11, 2014 15:39

I've always presumed that it's due to the American pronunciation of the letter T - more like a 'D' sound. It's only ever been in America that I've seen it termed 'St. Patty's Day', which actually will end up sounding like 'Paddy'.
In England and Ireland it's as textmonkey says.

Declan

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 11, 2014 15:43

I was never quite sure whether Patty was a boy or girls name...

Date: March 11, 2014 15:45

More clear evidence that the evidence is not so clear:

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: March 11, 2014 16:41

Where I grew up, St. Patrick's Day was seen as an Irish Catholic holiday. If you weren't Irish Catholic, you didn't celebrate out of respect for the the people who were celebrating for "the right reasons". To this day, I still have a hard time participating in a St. Patrick's party... Pretty much the only time I'm comfortable is at my buddy's party... He's Irish as the day is long, proud of his heritage and, knowing my respect/feelings for 'his' holiday, has given me a lifetime exemption from any self-loathing I might feel from participating.

Happy St. Patrick's Day to the Irish!
Happy 3/17/14 to everyone else! Party as you see fit! You'll see no judgement from me!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: March 11, 2014 23:41

mr_dja
Where I grew up, St. Patrick's Day was seen as an Irish Catholic holiday. If you weren't Irish Catholic, you didn't celebrate out of respect for the the people who were celebrating for "the right reasons". To this day, I still have a hard time participating in a St. Patrick's party... Pretty much the only time I'm comfortable is at my buddy's party... He's Irish as the day is long, proud of his heritage and, knowing my respect/feelings for 'his' holiday, has given me a lifetime exemption from any self-loathing I might feel from participating.

Happy 3/17/14 to everyone else! Party as you see fit! You'll see no judgement from me!

Peace,
Mr DJA

OK, so what's your position on Robbie Burns Day?

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 12, 2014 00:04

Most of the St Patrick's Day celebrations are Irish-American, as opposed to Irish, aren't they? I know many of my British and Irish friends had never heard of some of the traditions, like corned beef, etc., let alone green beer!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 12, 2014 01:07

Like George Carlin once said: "I used to be Irish Catholic. Now I'm American. You know--you grow...."

Well, it was funny when he said it, on one of his albums....

Audio of "I Used To Be Irish Catholic" at: [www.ebaumsworld.com]

From the album Class Clown....

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 12, 2014 01:46

Happy St. Patty's Day, owlbynite. You're starting a little early here, so pace yourself. smileys with beer

Posted by: textmonkey ()
Date: March 12, 2014 16:05

continuing on a theme...

[thedailyedge.thejournal.ie]

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: March 12, 2014 16:39

treaclefingers
mr_dja

Peace,
Mr DJA

In the dark, somewhere between ignorance & apathy. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: March 12, 2014 23:46

mr_dja
treaclefingers
mr_dja

Peace,
Mr DJA

In the dark, somewhere between ignorance & apathy. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Peace,
Mr DJA

well, at least it's not like you don't know or care.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 12, 2014 23:49

Or like your position is flat on your back under the table with a bottle of malt.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: March 12, 2014 23:49

I'll take something light...anyone know of a brand for a light irish ale?

Ah, maybe I'll go down to the german/irish pub down the road where I live and have anything irish there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-13 00:27 by nightskyman.

Date: March 12, 2014 23:51

There is a strike currently in Vancouver at the Ports. They're not loading any shipping containers.

The reason this is important, is on the news last night they reported the bars are running out of Guinness, and are now hoarding it for St. Paddy's weekend.

Date: March 13, 2014 06:55

nightskyman
I'll take something light...anyone know of a brand for a light irish ale?

Ah, maybe I'll go down to the german/irish pub down the road where I live and have anything irish there.

Magners is good...smileys with beer

Date: March 13, 2014 06:56

Max'sKansasCity
HAPPY ST PATRICK'S DAY!

thumbs up

Date: March 13, 2014 06:57

RoughJusticeOnYa
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out ...Thàt's what I call "Living up to the occasion"...
Go strong, Owlbynite! And Happy St. Patrick's Day to (all of) you!

thanks & go strong to you, too! smileys with beer

Date: March 13, 2014 07:01

Roll73
textmonkey

St Patrick's Day? Fine

I'm not even Irish and I was offended by that (Patty - not your comment text monkey)

I Am Irish...smileys with beer
heed DD's (Declan) comment below...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
sure is E-Z to offend folks around here! grinning smiley

Date: March 13, 2014 07:02

latebloomer
Happy St. Patty's Day, owlbynite. You're starting a little early here, so pace yourself. smileys with beer
smileys with beer

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: March 13, 2014 11:12

treaclefingers
mr_dja

Peace,
Mr DJA

Please....it's Robert or Rabbie. Never Robbie!

Date: March 13, 2014 15:34

teleblaster
treaclefingers
mr_dja

Peace,
Mr DJA

You say Rabbie, I say Robbie
You say Paddy, I say Patty....
Rabbie, Robbie
Paddy, Patty
Let's call the whole thing off!

Date: March 14, 2014 08:07

treaclefingers
teleblaster
treaclefingers
mr_dja

Peace,
Mr DJA

You say Rabbie, I say Robbie
You say Paddy, I say Patty....
Rabbie, Robbie
Paddy, Patty
Let's call the whole thing off!

winking smiley

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: March 14, 2014 15:54

What do you mean 'OT'? Didn't you know that Mick was Irish?

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 14, 2014 21:14

If we were allowed to talk about food, I bet someone would say something about reuben sandwiches.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: March 14, 2014 21:33

Well it is Mrs PATTY Richards' birthday on St Patricks day .....

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1722
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home