Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Tunings for 8-string steel, Torn & Frayed?
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 3, 2014 01:11

Just purchased a 3-neck Fender console steel and I am contemplating tunings for the different necks. Thinking A6 for one of them. Anyone have any suggestions? Also what was Al Perkins' tuning for Torn & Frayed? I believe he played an 8-string, though I know it had pedals. Any help is appreciated.

Re: Tunings for 8-string steel, Torn & Frayed?
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 3, 2014 01:23

Info on his site about what he used, no mention of the tuning though...

[www.alperkinsmusic.com]

If you can find a Contact in there you should ask him.

smileys with beer

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 3, 2014 02:39

Thanks HM. There was no contact info on his site though. I think he used some variation of E7 or E9.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: March 3, 2014 11:09

Hi, I've been playing pedal steel for 7 years now.

Al used a ZB pedal steel for that tuned to a variation of the E9 copedant. In an interview I read he said he'd only just got it so played very safe in that session.

To hear Al at his best, I recommend the album last of the red hot burritos.

Date: March 3, 2014 11:13

By the way, you will never get a pedal steel sound with a lap steel. That's how I started off. You can get a better approximation with a b bender. It's all about bending notes within groups of 2 or 3 notes to get the sound, and a lap steel simply can't do that.

Date: March 3, 2014 12:22

OK, I've just been double checking for ya. Al's 8 string copedant (as used with Burritos) is detailed here: Al Perkins 8 string copendent

I can't find his ZB copedent online but I know how he has it set up. The tuning is an E9 chromatic but he has a low E on the bottom end. It goes like this (low to high) E B D E F# G# B E G# Eb F#. He has a combination of the normal pedals and levers and also some more unusual ones. Pedals 1, 2 and 3 are standard. He has the standard E-Eb and E-F levers. Add in some more non-standard ones like low E-D, B-Bb, Eb-D/C# and high F#-G.

You can play most Al Perkins stuff on a standard E9 setup, but you'll miss those low slide ups he can do with his low E string.

Here's a tasty clip with his Fender:
video: [youtu.be]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1815
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home