Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Some Top Rhythm Sections
Posted by: djgab ()
Date: February 1, 2012 13:22

Willie Dixon and Freddy Bellow !

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: February 1, 2012 14:10

tim bogert&carmine appice
ron wood&tony newman&mickey waller

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: February 1, 2012 14:28

for the song :

Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts (Rolling Stones)
Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr (Beatles)
Pete Quaife and Mick Avory (Kinks)
Andrew Bodnar and Stephen Goulding (The Rumour)
Nick Lowe and Terry Williams (Rockpile)

for the power and the song :

Prakash John and Pentti Glan (Lou Reed Rock'n'Roll Animal; as we had one of the best guitar tandems (Steve Hunter, Dick Wagner) in this band it must have been (one of) the best rockband(s) ever ....)

for the sheer power :

Tim Bogert und Carmine Appice (Vanilla Fudge, Cactus)

and for the groove :

the soul guys from the sixties, Billy Cox and Buddy Miles, Double Trouble and many of the already mentionned....

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 1, 2012 15:13

Sly & Robbie
Tony Chapman & Ron Carter

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 1, 2012 15:44

stupidguy2
The Muscle SHoals Rhythm Section anchored by drummer Roger Hawkins and bassist Tommy Cogbill, the Jamerson of the south. Later on, Hawkins and bassts David Hood.
Aretha Franklin didn't become the Queen until Jerry Wexler took her to Alabama to work with the The Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section....Hawkins, Cogbill, Jimmy Johnson, Roger Hawkins, Spooner Oldham and later Barry Beckett and David Hood.
These two groups remain the most prolific and least known in rock and roll history, overshadowed by Stax and Motown.
Sample list:
After having their first hits with Percy Sledge and WIlson Pickett, the Muscle Shoals guys backed Aretha on all her albums from 67-70. Never Loved a Man, Respect, Save Me, Natural WOman, CHain of Fools, Baby I Love You, Since You Been Gone, Think, The House that Jack Built, Say a LIttle Prayer...all of them.
With WIlson Pickett: Funky Broadway, Mustang Sally and Land of a Thousand Dances, Hey Jude, Im In Love etc...
Cogbill wasn't really a member of the Muscle Shoals group, but played bass for the Aretha and Pickett sessions.
With drummer Gene Chrisman, he anchored the Memphis Sound group, playing on Elvis' 68, 69 Memphis sessions: Kentucky Rain, Suspicous Minds, In the Ghetto. They also played on the Boxtops hits and Dusty SPringfield's Dusty in Memphis, including Son of a Preacher Man. Cogbill really is an unsung great on bass, probably more verstatile than Duck Dunn. Both these groups of musicians did stuff with Bobby Womack.
And if the Muscle SHoals guys had never done all the above, they would be still be legendary for this alone, with Hood and Hawkins keeping the groove.

yes yes yes

Tommy Cogbill--bass on 'Memphis Soul Stew' by King Curtis

oh man great music from those days.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 1, 2012 17:52

Palace Revolution 2000
Paul Simonon and Topper came from reggae music; one great reason the Clash had their unique sound once you added Mick Jones' slashing rock guitar.

Paul Simonon could hardly play an instrument when he joined the Clash, Headon came from a jazz/prog rock band.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 1, 2012 19:00

duke richardson
stupidguy2
The Muscle SHoals Rhythm Section anchored by drummer Roger Hawkins and bassist Tommy Cogbill, the Jamerson of the south. Later on, Hawkins and bassts David Hood.
Aretha Franklin didn't become the Queen until Jerry Wexler took her to Alabama to work with the The Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section....Hawkins, Cogbill, Jimmy Johnson, Roger Hawkins, Spooner Oldham and later Barry Beckett and David Hood.
These two groups remain the most prolific and least known in rock and roll history, overshadowed by Stax and Motown.
Sample list:
After having their first hits with Percy Sledge and WIlson Pickett, the Muscle Shoals guys backed Aretha on all her albums from 67-70. Never Loved a Man, Respect, Save Me, Natural WOman, CHain of Fools, Baby I Love You, Since You Been Gone, Think, The House that Jack Built, Say a LIttle Prayer...all of them.
With WIlson Pickett: Funky Broadway, Mustang Sally and Land of a Thousand Dances, Hey Jude, Im In Love etc...
Cogbill wasn't really a member of the Muscle Shoals group, but played bass for the Aretha and Pickett sessions.
With drummer Gene Chrisman, he anchored the Memphis Sound group, playing on Elvis' 68, 69 Memphis sessions: Kentucky Rain, Suspicous Minds, In the Ghetto. They also played on the Boxtops hits and Dusty SPringfield's Dusty in Memphis, including Son of a Preacher Man. Cogbill really is an unsung great on bass, probably more verstatile than Duck Dunn. Both these groups of musicians did stuff with Bobby Womack.
And if the Muscle SHoals guys had never done all the above, they would be still be legendary for this alone, with Hood and Hawkins keeping the groove.

yes yes yes

Tommy Cogbill--bass on 'Memphis Soul Stew' by King Curtis

oh man great music from those days.

Is there another bass player who is less known, overlooked and yet so prolific and versatile: his work is like an encyclopedia of soul classics. He is on par with Jamerson IMO.

Date: February 1, 2012 19:13

true...one of the greats. I wonder if Bass Player magazine ever did a profile on him?

I can't verify that he played on Memphis Soul Stew..possibly Jerry Jemmott played that cool bassline...
I happened to meet Steve Cropper once, and I asked him about that song...he told me Tommy Cogbill played bass on it

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 1, 2012 19:17

sweetcharmedlife
The Atlanta Rhythym Sectionsmiling bouncing smiley

thumbs up

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: February 1, 2012 21:04

Willie big eyes Smith and Calvin fuzz Jones (and Pinetop Perkins) with Muddy Water

Art blakey and any one

Elvin Jones and Jim Garrison for Coltrane

and tons of Miles' bands

Date: February 2, 2012 00:07

Koen
Palace Revolution 2000
Paul Simonon and Topper came from reggae music; one great reason the Clash had their unique sound once you added Mick Jones' slashing rock guitar.

Paul Simonon could hardly play an instrument when he joined the Clash, Headon came from a jazz/prog rock band.

Mm yes, I know this. I read the book. I wasn't intending that they came from reggae bands but from a state of mind.

Date: February 2, 2012 01:30

duke richardson
true...one of the greats. I wonder if Bass Player magazine ever did a profile on him?

I can't verify that he played on Memphis Soul Stew..possibly Jerry Jemmott played that cool bassline...
I happened to meet Steve Cropper once, and I asked him about that song...he told me Tommy Cogbill played bass on it

Definitely Cogbill. They recorded that album right after recording Aretha in Muscle Shoals - Wexler used the King Curtis album as an excuse to get the Muscle Shoals guys up to New York's Atalantic studios because Rick Hall didn't want them recording with Wexler. They cut Memphis Soul Stew, the album, in something like one day, and then went on to record Respect, Dr. Feelgood etc....
Cogbill was the main man on those records. According to Jimmy Johnson, Aretha loved Cogbill - and you can hear that on the records: he was the anchor on most of those songs, giving them the main groove, feel. Jemmot didn't come along until 69, some theorize that Aretha was being pressured to incorporate more black musicians on her sessions. But while Jemmot took over bass duties on songs like Think, Cogbill just switched to guitar and you can hear him very distinctively on Think and others. He had also been a jazz player in his early days and switched to bass after Wexler needed a bassist for the Percy Sledge session.
He died in 80, and remains an obscure name, except on bass forums.

These are two of my favorite Cogbill grooves:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-02 01:36 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 2, 2012 01:31

Bruce Thomas & Pete Thomas when Elvis Costello recorded with the Attractions

Date: February 2, 2012 01:44

shedooby
John Blackwell and Rhonda Smith

Will Calhoun and Doug Wimbish

nice shout out to doug and will plus muzz skillings (sp?) was on bass too

billy sheehan and pat torpey

michael anthony and alex van halen

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 2, 2012 09:16

tomcasagranda
Bruce Thomas & Pete Thomas when Elvis Costello recorded with the Attractions

fantastic! then we are two who have discovered this ..

2 1 2 0

Date: February 2, 2012 18:58

stupidguy2
duke richardson

Definitely Cogbill. They recorded that album right after recording Aretha in Muscle Shoals - Wexler used the King Curtis album as an excuse to get the Muscle Shoals guys up to New York's Atalantic studios because Rick Hall didn't want them recording with Wexler. They cut Memphis Soul Stew, the album, in something like one day, and then went on to record Respect, Dr. Feelgood etc....
Cogbill was the main man on those records. According to Jimmy Johnson, Aretha loved Cogbill - and you can hear that on the records: he was the anchor on most of those songs, giving them the main groove, feel. Jemmot didn't come along until 69, some theorize that Aretha was being pressured to incorporate more black musicians on her sessions. But while Jemmot took over bass duties on songs like Think, Cogbill just switched to guitar and you can hear him very distinctively on Think and others. He had also been a jazz player in his early days and switched to bass after Wexler needed a bassist for the Percy Sledge session.

many thanks! glad to know, and to bring some light to Tommy Cogbill.

you a fellow bass player?

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: February 2, 2012 21:31

George Murray & Dennis Davis

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: February 2, 2012 21:31

Tommy Stinson and Chris Mars: The Replacements.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: February 2, 2012 21:52

Jet Harris and Tony Meehan (around 1960) with the Shadows...

Date: February 3, 2012 00:37

duke richardson
stupidguy2
duke richardson

many thanks! glad to know, and to bring some light to Tommy Cogbill.

you a fellow bass player?

No, guitar - but I've always loved soul music.I had always known Motown, and I new who Otis Redding, Aretha and Pickett were, but I had never made a distinction between southern soul and more mainstream soul.
I just remember hearing Funky Broadway on the oldies radio station when I was about 18 and wondering how it could sound so funky and twangy at the same time. I'm from Texas, grew up surrounded by country music and I recognized a very distinctive twang in these musicians' playing: the guitar licks in the chorus of Respect, Clarence Carter's Slip Away, Otis' Dock of the Bay and on and on. It sounded countrified.
I just thought the musicians on these songs were the twangiest black guys Id ever heard, as opposed to the funkiest white guys Id heard, which I didn't realize until years later was the reality.

I had also loved the groove on Aretha's Since You've Been Gone, but again, had never made the distinction that it was southern soul music.
Years later, I learned all that stuff was Stax, Muscle Shoals, but didn't really know the story, the racial component.
I only recently just realized who Cogbill was when I went through an Aretha rediscovery. I knew her hits, but never really appreciated her greatness. From there, I fell in love with the story of southern soul.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-03 00:49 by stupidguy2.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2356
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home