Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Would they have had Brian Back in the band?
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: February 14, 2014 20:24

Just reading about the rehearsals and having Mick Taylor back after all these years, I just wonder if Brian had not died and done his own thing they may have brought him back for this tour. How good would that have been??

Its nice to dream 'what if'?

Re: Would they have had Brian Back in the band?
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: February 14, 2014 22:07

Doubtful. Keith said in a guitar magazine about Brian (for which Bill reprimanded him in one of his books), "Nobody should go that young, but if anybody deserved it, he did."

I recently read in The Mammoth Book of the Rolling Stones a reprint of an extensive MOJO article on Brian, and, in that article, anyway, he displayed the traits of a sociopath—an incurable condition—which is likely why Keith said what he said.

When Mick Taylor originally left, Mick J. openly said he'd miss him. I don't think any such sentiments were expressed after Brian was booted out.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: February 14, 2014 22:32

Brian just wasn't a very accomplished guitarist and though he may have brought a lot to sound of some great songs, his role was to be a guitarist first and he had all but abandoned that by the time he was fired. With the "guitar hero" 70s, I can't see how he would fit in with the sound.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 14, 2014 22:39

lettingitbleed
Brian just wasn't a very accomplished guitarist and though he may have brought a lot to sound of some great songs, his role was to be a guitarist first and he had all but abandoned that by the time he was fired. With the "guitar hero" 70s, I can't see how he would fit in with the sound.
\

Well said

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 14, 2014 22:46

How in the hell would anybody know what Brian would have done with his life? He was an immature 27 when he died. He was very bright. He seemed to love music and may have gotten it together in a different way. No, he never would have been a guitar gunslinger ala Page or Beck, but that was never his appeal anyway. He was on top of world music and was delving into electronica years before others went there. It's sad that he died at a low ebb and never got a second act to redeem himself. Sometimes people grow up and stop hurting themselves and in turn stop hurting the ones who love them.

Posted by: watts fan ()
Date: February 14, 2014 23:05

Impossible to know what would have become of Brian. He could have straightened himself out, gotten some help, and had a great life. He may also have become a casualty and ended up a legendary recluse like Syd Barrett.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 14, 2014 23:09

watts fan
Impossible to know what would have become of Brian.

thumbs up

Posted by: brownsugar86 ()
Date: February 14, 2014 23:30

I remember seeing a Keith interview on youtube from 81/82 a while back where he's asked about Brian to which he replied 'Oh he was a real Shit!'
If anyone can find it I'd be very grateful.

Date: February 14, 2014 23:46

brownsugar86
I remember seeing a Keith interview on youtube from 81/82 a while back where he's asked about Brian to which he replied 'Oh he was a real Shit!'

He also added "He was a funny guy!"

Mixed emotions.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 14, 2014 23:56

His Majesty
brownsugar86

Mixed emotions.

Keith wasn't alone in that assessment of Brian.

The what ifs are the tragedy any time a life is cut short. Must still ache for his family and close friends to think on.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: February 14, 2014 23:59

brownsugar86

Not sure about that quote but I do remember Anita (81 tour time frame) saying "Brian is dead, next question" to the interviewer's question. Maybe the question was - "Do you miss Brian?"

Anyway, look at all the not so nice statements Keith has made about Bill (e.g. There's a strange one) and even about Mick. Comes with the territory...

Date: February 15, 2014 00:13

Go to 1:20 for the part you are talking about. Note that there's much in the way of mixed emotions in both his words, his voice and his facial expressions.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 15, 2014 00:14

watts fan
Impossible to know what would have become of Brian. He could have straightened himself out, gotten some help, and had a great life. He may also have become a casualty and ended up a legendary recluse like Syd Barrett.

Because of songwriting royalties, and the continuous reissues of the songs he wrote, he could afford to be a recluse. His estate upon his death was valued in the millions.

Regarding the question put by the OP, I'm sure Brian would have been the first one they would have called on. Why would they go to all the trouble of auditioning people they didn't know and hadn't worked with before, when once upon a time they had a winning formula of a musical chemistry? Brian would have been given a second chance for sure. Bobby Keys got bounced out for his excesses, but eventually he returned. Because their circle is so limited, you're never really out of the Rolling Stones family until you're dead.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 15, 2014 01:03

I disagree; his style was so ill-suited to what was being recorded from 1968 onwards. With the exception of No Expectations, which Mick Taylor could have appeared on anyway, Brian was a spent force.

By 1969 The Stones had evolved into a different band. If Brian had remained, he wouldn't have been able, in my opinion, to cut the tracks on Sticky Fingers, Exile, etc. The 1969 USA tour also shows a band with a different energy; now compare that to December 1968's Rock'n'roll Circus, and therein lies two different bands. The Rock'n'roll circus is exhausted, dead on its feet, whereas the USA tour band is alive, vibrant, and wonderful.

Date: February 15, 2014 01:13

tomcasagranda
I disagree; his style was so ill-suited to what was being recorded from 1968 onwards. With the exception of No Expectations, which Mick Taylor could have appeared on anyway, Brian was a spent force.

By 1969 The Stones had evolved into a different band. If Brian had remained, he wouldn't have been able, in my opinion, to cut the tracks on Sticky Fingers, Exile, etc. The 1969 USA tour also shows a band with a different energy; now compare that to December 1968's Rock'n'roll Circus, and therein lies two different bands. The Rock'n'roll circus is exhausted, dead on its feet, whereas the USA tour band is alive, vibrant, and wonderful.

Did you read the thread before posting?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 15, 2014 01:51

They might have given him a guest spot for one song on the current tour...
maybe dabble on the sitar for Paint It Black.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 15, 2014 12:32

His Majesty
brownsugar86

Mixed emotions.

Yes indeed but funny guy probably means he was one crazy son of a b. (according to Keith). I dont think Brian has been described by anyone. All we got is bits and pieces about a guy who was very young when he died, who was very involved emotionally with the band and whoose behaviour is either very charming/groundbreaking/creative or narcissistic/sadistic/pathetic.

He was being ripped off personally and in the band. That's what happened from his point of view. And he deserved it probably. In some ways and from Mick and Keiths point of view.
Sadistic? Maybe but the stories Ive read are always some kind of show offs infront of Keith and Mick. Like he knew he had a fan club within the band (until he was dethroned in 1967) and had to have reactions from them. He beat women up but when it comes to Anita I dont feel sorry for her given her own track record. And she still kept him in a frame by the bed (her side I hope) when she was with Keith.

Hard to tell what was wrong with Brian Jones but I guess he was some kind of Lennon. Jim Morrison comes off like the American version. And of course theyd never ever take him back and of course he would never have asked.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: February 15, 2014 15:28

Don't think he would ever have come back into the band but maybe as someone said as a guest spot on paint it black. It would have been so cool to see them all on the same stage again, and with Mick Taylor. Makes you wonder where they would have gone if Mick Taylor handn't have been in the band.

Date: February 15, 2014 15:47

Funny guy could simply mean funny guy, there are loads of photos of them cracking up. smiling smiley

They had good times too yah know.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 15, 2014 16:06

How fast he went downhill. Playing all kinds of instruments in 1966. Then useless in 1968.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 15, 2014 16:19

In a word: NO!

Date: February 15, 2014 17:23

More Hot Rocks
How fast he went downhill. Playing all kinds of instruments in 1966. Then useless in 1968.

No, still effectively playing all kinds of instruments in 1968, atleast up to and including Beggars Banquet sessions.

Guitar, harmonica, sitar, tamboura, mellotron.

Of course, this is not to deny he was going down a dark path and his playing had took a bit of a battering.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-15 17:28 by His Majesty.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 15, 2014 21:44

they barely got bill back, I don't know if Brian would have gone for it or not. I could see it going either way.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 16, 2014 00:02

The guy died in 1969--seems almost impossible to speculate on what his mindset would have been in 2014. As for the others, I'm sure they'd have at least felt obliged to ask him, at least for the 2012 shows, as they were asking all the principal former band members. But who knows what turns his life might have taken if he was still alive. He could have been a retired accountant or Trappist monk who hadn't touched a guitar for 40 years.

Date: February 16, 2014 00:27

In answer to a previous post: yes, I did read the thread, and feel that there is something I wish to add.

Brian had problems prior to taking drugs, and was showing signs of instability: the drugs only exacerbated his many neuroses. Now, if he had lived beyond 1969 he would have ended up in a worse state than another Brian, Brian Wilson that is. He was,at time of death, a barely capable of functioning individual.

However, come 2013, I don't think he would have been invited back to any reunion gig due to instability, and due to his personality sans drugs. Mick Taylor, during, and post Stones, was more than capable of being a technically gifted musician, i.e. Tubular Bells with Mike Oldfield, Spirit with Jack Bruce, and Live:1975 with Jack Bruce, the Mick Taylor solo album, Bob Dylan's Infidels and 1984 European Stadium tour, the Carla Olsen material, reunions with John Mayall etc. Ronnie, for all his silliness, has still managed to get it together to release some great solo, and great material with the Stones.

Personally, given his appearance at the Rock n Roll Circus, Brian was staring into a lengthy abyss from which I doubt he would have been able to come back from.

Date: February 16, 2014 00:29

More Hot Rocks

They were two different bands at the time in question: in 1966 they were embracing a baroque type of English pop, in 1968 it was all open tuning and the Taj Mahal / Ry Cooder nexus of influence.

Date: February 16, 2014 01:09

tomcasagranda
More Hot Rocks

They were two different bands at the time in question: in 1966 they were embracing a baroque type of English pop, in 1968 it was all open tuning and the Taj Mahal / Ry Cooder nexus of influence.

Same band. winking smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 16, 2014 01:43

tomcasagranda

Brian had problems prior to taking drugs, and was showing signs of instability: the drugs only exacerbated his many neuroses. Now, if he had lived beyond 1969 he would have ended up in a worse state than another Brian, Brian Wilson that is. He was,at time of death, a barely capable of functioning individual.

However, come 2013, I don't think he would have been invited back to any reunion gig due to instability,

Brian Wilson has long been back in the saddle, and it seems illogical to assume Brian Jones would or could have been "unstable" all the way from 1969 to 2014. He'd either have died, as he did, or cleaned up, like Brian Wilson, Keith, etc. etc. All the speculations here seem predicated on Brian not having changed in 50 years.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: February 16, 2014 06:36

Hey Title5Take1 don't know if you saw it but Sam Cutler the bands road manager for many years also said that if anybody had to go he was glad it was Brian. Claimed he was a real mean @#$%& of a humanbeing and that nobody should miss him. Pretty harsh words for a dead man but seemingly Brian left almost as many enimyes as fans. Only those that didn't know him seemed to have loved him except perhaps his family? And by many accounts he was a mean spirited self-centred evil little bugger that used his fame to humiliate others and loved to cause suffering to as many as he could. Bet he felt pretty damned sorry for himself though like most @#$%& of the world and I doubt he ever did take any resposibility for his own decline. A real shame for a man with so much promise.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: February 16, 2014 06:38

Hey Title5Take1 don't know if you saw it but Sam Cutler the bands road manager for many years also said that if anybody had to go he was glad it was Brian. Claimed he was a real mean @#$%& of a humanbeing and that nobody should miss him. Pretty harsh words for a dead man but seemingly Brian left almost as many enimyes as fans. Only those that didn't know him seemed to have loved him except perhaps his family? And by many accounts he was a mean spirited self-centred evil little bugger that used his fame to humiliate others and loved to cause suffering to as many as he could. Bet he felt pretty damned sorry for himself though like most @#$%& of the world and I doubt he ever did take any resposibility for his own decline. A real shame for a man with so much promise. So no I don't believe they ever would have had him back once they'd gotten rid of him, and found success gallor, without him.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1986
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home