Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Track Talk: How Can I Stop
Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: November 6, 2017 00:10

I think Mick just didn't want to record that way anymore -- sitting in the studio all day and night working around a riff. Not really fun for the singer, anyway. Although I believe he enjoyed working with MT like that, in that MT followed his direction.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 6, 2017 00:50

Mick and Keith promoted the album in some magazine, separately. The interviewer asked Mick, "Aren't three Keith vocals too much of a good thing?"

Mick said, "You should ask Keith that."

I thought, Keith carries knives!

I like some Keith vocals, but, wrong or right, one thing I liked about BLUE & LONESOME was it was the first Stones album with no Keith vocal since BLACK & BLUE (aside from brief "She gotta mind..." bits in MM).

Posted by: johnypar ()
Date: November 6, 2017 01:39

Beautiful song. If not top 5, then in my top 10. Remember when Bridges came out, at first, I found the song boring and always skipped it when listening to the album. For more than a year. Then, one night, local radio station played it around 3am, and it was pure magic... Since then, one of my favorite slow Stones tunes. Perfection on so many levels. Masterpiece

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-06 01:43 by johnypar.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: November 6, 2017 13:41

Ok ...will give this a listen again tonight. This is one of the things I love about this site

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: November 6, 2017 17:47

5-10 best songs of the stones?Really?Biggest joke of the Century.
The last time,get off of my cloud,honky tonk woman,gimme shelter,paint it black,miss you,beast of burden,angie,all Down the line,tumbling dice,mothers little helper,under my thumb,start me up,midnight Rambler,happy,let it loose,shine a light,brown sugar,dead flowers,bitch,moonlight mile,jumping Jack flash,just to name a few,who,s gonna be out from this short list?

Date: November 6, 2017 17:55

harlem shuffle
5-10 best songs of the stones?Really?Biggest joke of the Century.
The last time,get off of my cloud,honky tonk woman,gimme shelter,paint it black,miss you,beast of burden,angie,all Down the line,tumbling dice,mothers little helper,under my thumb,start me up,midnight Rambler,happy,let it loose,shine a light,brown sugar,dead flowers,bitch,moonlight mile,jumping Jack flash,just to name a few,who,s gonna be out from this short list?

Many songs on your list are just great rockers or awesome simple pop tunes.

How Can I Stop is a big number, like the other ones: Moonlight Mile, CYHMK, Midnight Rambler. It's okay if you don't like it, but how it's built up, written and performed makes it a better comparison with the (very few) big ones (aka long, extended and more complex numbers) the Stones made.

I reckon that's why so many put it high up there on their lists.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 6, 2017 18:52

"How Can I Stop" ranks far higher than the silly (and a bit laughable) "You Don't Have To Mean It", right? Right?

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: November 7, 2017 00:31

Why does How Can I Stop get so much praise and Losing My Touch does not? I'm not a fan of either track but they just seem so similar to me.

Drew

Date: November 7, 2017 10:48

drewmaster
Why does How Can I Stop get so much praise and Losing My Touch does not? I'm not a fan of either track but they just seem so similar to me.

Drew

Might be because Losing My Touch is rather one-dimensional, while How Can I Stop has different parts, great dynamics, is crossing different styles (soul and jazz), is a great mood-piece and finish off with a coda to die for, where the playing is absolutely fabulous.

Oh! And Wayne Shorter is playing on it! smiling smiley

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 7, 2017 11:01

drewmaster

Drew

I have a similar question, but with Thief In The Night, which I find so much better than How Can I Stop (and certainly much better than Losing My Touch). I still haven't really figured out how Thief In The Night is structured, and for some weird reason, with Keith, that is a good thing. It sounds like they just came up with it, like a jam, but in fact it all fits together like clock-work.

Date: November 7, 2017 11:43

Song is too long. Would be better if it was 3 minutes.

Thief in the Night (drums and lyrics) and Thru and Thru (live MSG) are better imo

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1794
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home