Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Pussy Riot gig in Sotji interfered by cossacks
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 20, 2014 11:04

Members of the punk group Pussy Riot were whipped by cossacks yesterday
when they tried to perform a concert in Sotji. What do we think of this?

Pussy Riot Sotji gig

Re: OT: Pussy Riot gig in Sotji interfered by cossacks
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 20, 2014 11:17

Par for the course for uppity women, sadly. Yeah, they're being provocative on purpose, but that shouldn't be an appropriate response, IMO.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 20, 2014 14:47

Pussy whipped.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: February 20, 2014 15:04

Well, the reaction is not appropriate of course, but well,how much of their "art" is about purposely provoking this kind of reaction in order to attract attention? If they were not in Russa, they would not get this kind of reaction and nobody would ever hear about them. But I don't really know anything about them, since I don't care, so I don't want to judge neither side. I don't want to get political (which is pretty much impossible in this case), it is just that I am not very fond of this kind of "bravery," where the main motive might be just the media attention itself. I don't know.
On a more technical note - is it appropriate to call it a concert? The audience were those ten or so policemen and a number of people I could count on my fingers who were taking pictures and video with their cell phones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-20 15:05 by Happy24.

Date: February 20, 2014 15:07

Politics...

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: February 20, 2014 15:47

I actually feel someone should do that to Kid Rock or Smashing Pumpkins. Not for political reasons just to make them not play.

Actually were was Pussy Riot supposed to play without a PA and amps?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-20 15:51 by RockinJive.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 20, 2014 15:55

RockinJive
I actually feel someone should do that to Kid Rock or Smashing Pumpkins. Not for political reasons just to make them not play.

Please let me know if you run for office...Call upon me as a lobbyist

Posted by: jjo ()
Date: February 20, 2014 16:08

Do they have any talent ?

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: February 20, 2014 16:21

They have a great knack for getting under Putin's skin, which is not a bad thing.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 20, 2014 16:40

It makes you want to get in there and help them. Especially to give that abusive midget guy a good whack. But really, whipping girls, and in public view? A bunch of cowards. Lots of ways to handle the situation but that was not one of them.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: February 20, 2014 17:41

Munichhilton
RockinJive

Please let me know if you run for office...Call upon me as a lobbyist

You're hired!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 20, 2014 17:54

Happy24
Well, the reaction is not appropriate of course, but well,how much of their "art" is about purposely provoking this kind of reaction in order to attract attention? If they were not in Russa, they would not get this kind of reaction and nobody would ever hear about them. But I don't really know anything about them, since I don't care, so I don't want to judge neither side. I don't want to get political (which is pretty much impossible in this case), it is just that I am not very fond of this kind of "bravery," where the main motive might be just the media attention itself. I don't know.
On a more technical note - is it appropriate to call it a concert? The audience were those ten or so policemen and a number of people I could count on my fingers who were taking pictures and video with their cell phones.

If they want attention? Writing "bravery" in quotation marks? Are you serious?
"The main motive might be media attention itself" ?
I take it that you don't know much about what takes place over there or what this "band" does and have only seen that youtube clip? And that you don't know much about the the world in general? You don't have to confirm.

They are brave to do what they do and let the world see what kind of censorship and discrimination people have to put up with. It's about human rights, which is something way more than "politics" that DP wrote above.
Having to spend years in prison for saying bad things about Putin, and people being officially discriminated and beaten up in the streets for being lesbian/gay seems like something from the 1800s, yet this is what happens in Russia 2014.

edit: yes I know I edited it 5 times, I don't want to get banned for being "political" here so I have to weigh my words

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-20 18:25 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: February 20, 2014 18:05

Erik_Snow
Happy24

Good grief...

They are brave to do what they do and let the world see what kind of censorship and discrimination that takes place there. It's about human rights, which is something more than "politics" that DP wrote above.
Yes Pussy Riot is provoking the situation but they are showing the world the oppression that exists in today's Russia. Not unlike the "Occupy Wall Street" movement peaceful protest is met with batons and bloodshed of our youth. Whatever happened to the police rule of equal force, these kids were no physical threat yet blows were landed and faces cracked...I refuse to dismiss this as deserved or politics and side with those who are angered when younger generations are beat into submission while posing no threat to anyone. Thanks for posting, pass this on..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-20 18:06 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: February 20, 2014 18:20

it takes guts to stand up for your rights and sometimes you have to provoke to get the media attention so we get informed nowadays.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: February 20, 2014 18:33

Tyrants need to go. Putin is a vile human being. God bless Pussy Riot.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 20, 2014 18:35

tatters
Pussy whipped.

Indeed. eye popping smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 20, 2014 18:41

stupid if you ask me . dont they know that is gonna get what they got ?all about attention .well the girls got it !

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: February 20, 2014 19:03

Erik_Snow
Happy24

I take it that you don't know much about what takes place over there or what this "band" does and have only seen that youtube clip? And that you don't know much about the the world in general? You don't have to confirm.

They are brave to do what they do and let the world see what kind of censorship and discrimination people have to put up with. It's about human rights, which is something way more than "politics" that DP wrote above.
Having to spend years in prison for saying bad things about Putin, and people being officially discriminated and beaten up in the streets for being lesbian/gay seems like something from the 1800s, yet this is what happens in Russia 2014.

edit: yes I know I edited it 5 times, I don't want to get banned for being "political" here so I have to weigh my words

I agree with you 100%. Disgraceful behaviour. I just wish some countries had the balls to withdraw from the Winter Olympics in protest.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: February 20, 2014 19:06

TheGreek
stupid if you ask me . dont they know that is gonna get what they got ?all about attention .well the girls got it !
That was the purpose I think. To get attention and to show the world that this is what life in Russia can be like. This clip will almost certainly end up in of their videos, hence no ampflication.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 20, 2014 19:06

Send It To me
Tyrants need to go. Putin is a vile human being. God bless Pussy Riot.

I think the last thing they want is being blessed by anyone.

Date: February 20, 2014 19:12

Erik_Snow
Happy24

You know I agree, Erik.

But Bjørnulf will close this thread in a flash anyway.

People better study the situation over there for themselves before making light-hearted comments, something that certainly wasn't my intention here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-20 19:15 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 20, 2014 20:57

All I can do is admire this group of girls. Heroes of our time in a way performers/artists ever can do. Like Dylan sang about Lenny Bruce, "fought a war on a battlefield where every victory hurts".

- Doxa

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: February 20, 2014 21:05

The only Pussies there are the Men with weapons, whipping Women and pushing them to the floor.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 20, 2014 21:28

ChrisM
TheGreek
That was the purpose I think. To get attention and to show the world that this is what life in Russia can be like. This clip will almost certainly end up in of their videos, hence no ampflication.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 20, 2014 21:58

runaway
it takes guts to stand up for your rights and sometimes you have to provoke to get the media attention so we get informed nowadays.

thumbs up

These girls spent all that time in jail--I think they're a bit more serious about this than just being a bunch of girls wanting attention.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 20, 2014 22:15

Aquamarine
runaway

thumbs up

These girls spent all that time in jail--I think they're a bit more serious about this than just being a bunch of girls wanting attention.

thumbs up

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 20, 2014 22:37

Deltics
Aquamarine
runaway

thumbs up

thumbs up

thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 20, 2014 22:54

THE AUSTRALIAN -- 21 Feb 2014

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-20 23:01 by Rockman.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: February 20, 2014 22:57

No human being should treat another human being like that. Regardless of the situation.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 20, 2014 23:10

THE AGE -- 21 Feb 2014

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1887
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10