Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Great version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 7, 2011 01:26

Wasn't EC played the original solo on WMGGW?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 7, 2011 01:46

NICOS

Yes. Recorded as an overdub on September 6, 1968, and officially uncredited on the White Album.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 7, 2011 01:56

tatters
NICOS

Yes. Recorded as an overdub on September 6, 1968, and officially uncredited on the White Album.

and officially uncredited on the White Album

The strange thing about this is that I saw back in the 70's the white album with credits on it with EC was on guitar (on the big inner sleeve).

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 7, 2011 04:11

Roll73
Don't mean to be negative (well, actually I do) - but Prince is a cock and a total egomaniac. Everyone else on the stage is paying a respectful tribute to George and that short-ass twat is pulling out Hendrix moves and trying to upstage everyone. I don't even think it was a particularly good solo - all flash and no real emotion, at odds with the song completely. Hard to see clearly the look on Tom Petty's face when Prince starts going dow on his knees and what have you, but I'm sure he's thinking 'What the f@*k is this?!'

No doubt Prince is a hugely talented artist but he's too much of a big-headed meglomaniac to be a team player.

Clapton's solo at the Albert Hall concert for Gerorge is way way superior in my opinion....

You know at first I agreed with you somewhat, but what Prince did is so totally rock 'n roll! These old geezers were being so reverent, and Prince said "fvck it, I'm going to do something else". And he pulled it off. I could not disagree more about no emotion. His playing was pure emotion. Who cares what Petty was thinking? And why is Jeff Lynne up there at all? Ok, I know he was a friend of George's and a big Beatles fan, but seriously, the guy is just ...dead. Prince pulled a stunt, but he had the goods to back it up. I give him his due.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 7, 2011 09:14

Very Emotional! Beck & Clapton is like cones compared to Prince...I wish someone would realese Prince record he did with Miles Davis...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: March 7, 2011 11:51

71Tele
Thinking about George tonight for some reason and went casting for gems on YouTube. Now, I must say I am not particularly a Prince fan, nor am I a big fan of guitar wanking generally. But the Purple One was truly seized by the Holy Spirit here.

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="

?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value=

it's one of those musical moments that dont happen to often. what prince does here is pure magic. it's not the technical skills, it's just that like every single note is at the right place, played with so much energy and attitude. you cant really explain those moments. he really takes the song to another sphere. its so intense, damned. that is really amazing!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 7, 2011 12:33

NICOS
tatters
NICOS

and officially uncredited on the White Album

The strange thing about this is that I saw back in the 70's the white album with credits on it with EC was on guitar (on the big inner sleeve).

I doubt that Nicos. For contract reasons and there were no credits on the album. Only some credits on the back of the poster, and EC isn't listed. And still isn't to this day.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 7, 2011 12:51

Well I might sound grumpy, but in my opinion Prince really butchers the mood of the song. ANd I gotta say - I'm not impressed with the solo, guitarwise, at all. It's a somehow standard pick-on-off way of making it all sound very quick and 'fiery'. He's playing a real simliar solo on that Brit Awards clip Gazza posted on page 1
He doesn't mkae the guitar weep, he makes it feel abused

But it's all subjective, which kind of soloing one prefer. I find Clapton's solo in that Royal Albert Hall clip way superior and suitable to the song. It's strange with CLapton.....it's not the notes he play, it's the way he play them....extraordinary feel over his way of doing it. But...others prefer Prince....so...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-07 13:43 by Erik_Snow.

Date: March 7, 2011 14:59

Erik_Snow
Well I might sound grumpy, but in my opinion Prince really butchers the mood of the song. ANd I gotta say - I'm not impressed with the solo, guitarwise, at all. It's a somehow standard pick-on-off way of making it all sound very quick and 'fiery'. He's playing a real simliar solo on that Brit Awards clip Gazza posted on page 1
He doesn't mkae the guitar weep, he makes it feel abused

But it's all subjective, which kind of soloing one prefer. I find Clapton's solo in that Royal Albert Hall clip way superior and suitable to the song. It's strange with CLapton.....it's not the notes he play, it's the way he play them....extraordinary feel over his way of doing it. But...others prefer Prince....so...

of course it's a matter of taste. and your right that he doesnt play very original. but there's just a very special energy in it. it's a shame that the others dont follow him on the climax. maybe its that what makes you feel as he would butcher the mood.

Date: March 7, 2011 15:09

guitarbastard
it's a shame that the others dont follow him on the climax.

well most of the posts in this thread, shows that they do

Date: March 7, 2011 15:15

Erik_Snow
guitarbastard

petty starts to sing twice while prince is still on fire. it even looks as he wants prince to cool down. only georgs son really enjoys imo!

Date: March 7, 2011 15:20

guitarbastard
Erik_Snow
guitarbastard

petty starts to sing twice while prince is still on fire. it even looks as he wants prince to cool down. only georgs son really enjoys imo!

oh sorry, I thought you were speaking about "how us listeners follows Prince's solo"
Yes I noticed that the band wasn't too happy about it - save from George's son. But in a way.....I can see why, when doing a show like that, everybody has to know their place - and not being carried off by showing off/jerking off.
And Prince ain't no Jimi Hendrix - despite him being "more talented than a lot people believe him to be"
I bet it's the last time Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne.....as well as a lot of other famous artist, will invite Prince with them on stage

Date: March 7, 2011 15:33

If you just listen to the audio, and don't watch the video, it's great. Maybe the people who don't think Prince's performance is any good are just having a negative reaction to visual aspect of his showmanship.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-07 15:53 by tatters.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: March 7, 2011 16:07

Roll73
Don't mean to be negative (well, actually I do) - but Prince is a cock and a total egomaniac. Everyone else on the stage is paying a respectful tribute to George and that short-ass twat is pulling out Hendrix moves and trying to upstage everyone. I don't even think it was a particularly good solo - all flash and no real emotion, at odds with the song completely. Hard to see clearly the look on Tom Petty's face when Prince starts going dow on his knees and what have you, but I'm sure he's thinking 'What the f@*k is this?!'

No doubt Prince is a hugely talented artist but he's too much of a big-headed meglomaniac to be a team player.

Clapton's solo at the Albert Hall concert for Gerorge is way way superior in my opinion....

Clapton was on fire in this concert. His tone and solo in Isn't It A Pity, it's killer.
I can't believe that some people say that Eric "lost" it.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 7, 2011 16:18

"just having a negative reaction to visual aspect of his showmanship."

How is that possible? It's rock n roll! Thats like getting Towshend to not jump in the air or MJ not to dance.

The whole clip is perfection

Date: March 7, 2011 16:39

Erik_Snow
guitarbastard
Erik_Snow
guitarbastard

oh sorry, I thought you were speaking about "how us listeners follows Prince's solo"
Yes I noticed that the band wasn't too happy about it - save from George's son. But in a way.....I can see why, when doing a show like that, everybody has to know their place - and not being carried off by showing off/jerking off.
And Prince ain't no Jimi Hendrix - despite him being "more talented than a lot people believe him to be"
I bet it's the last time Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne.....as well as a lot of other famous artist, will invite Prince with them on stage

yeah i know what you mean, but the rest of the band could have followed him and take the song to the climax. why didnt the other guitarplayer challenge prince? that would have been interesting to see how he had reacted!! ;-)

Date: March 7, 2011 17:07

The Prince

I.

Last night I was watching TV.
I was watching Arsenio Hall.
And he had Prince on.
I wanna--
What a character he is!
Holy cow!

II.

Entertainer.
Singer.
And he can dance.
He's a little bitty guy.
He had a weird beard.
I tell ya it was--
I couldn't explain it.

III.

It was a real beard.
I mean,
You know how they do it now.
Some of them.
It doesn't come all the way
Up to the sideburns.
It starts,
Then it goes.
You gotta see it to believe it.

New York Yankees broadcaster, Phil Rizzuto
Sept. 10, 1991
New York at Baltimore
Eric Plunk pitching to Bill Ripken
Second inning, one out, one base runner
Yankees lead 2-1

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-07 17:22 by tatters.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: March 7, 2011 17:09

i don't think prince was over the top. it was a rock and roll hall of fame event. those are always parties instead of serious concerts. prince was having a good time as i'm sure everyone else was. if they weren't, then they were stuck up. let loose. party! if anything they should have had a second hot shot guitarist up there doing a call and response thing with prince. but they didn't, so they let him go wild. you can even see at the 5 minute mark when he stops playing and he's smiling and he gestures as if to say "ok, now what?" and then he continues playing, probably at the behest of someone. prince was awesome. i believe this video is from 2004, the year both george harrison and prince were inducted into the hall of fame. prince was in a good mood. let him shine. and they did.

Date: March 7, 2011 17:10

Erik_Snow
guitarbastard
Erik_Snow
guitarbastard

Oh boy, the last time Jeff Lynne invites Prince onstage! I'm sure Prince is up late at night regretting his performance if that is the price he has to pay. smiling smiley

Date: March 7, 2011 17:12

tatters
The Prince

I.

And he had Prince on.
I wanna--
What a character he is!
Holy cow!

II.

Entertainer.
Singer.
And he can dance.
He's a little bitty guy.
He had a weird beard.
I tell ya it was--
I couldn't explain it.

III.

It was a real beard.
I mean,
Some of them.
Up to the sideburns.
It starts,
Then it goes.

New York Yankess broadcater, Phil Rizzuto
Sept. 10, 1991
New York at Baltimore
Yankees lead 2-1

This is hilarious, Tatters. Too bad the humor will be missed by many here who don't know who Phil Rizzuto is. That must have been one surreal Yankee moment.

Date: March 7, 2011 17:15

71Tele
tatters
The Prince

I.

And he had Prince on.
I wanna--
What a character he is!
Holy cow!

II.

Entertainer.
Singer.
And he can dance.
He's a little bitty guy.
He had a weird beard.
I tell ya it was--
I couldn't explain it.

III.

It was a real beard.
I mean,
Some of them.
Up to the sideburns.
It starts,
Then it goes.

New York Yankess broadcater, Phil Rizzuto
Sept. 10, 1991
New York at Baltimore
Yankees lead 2-1

This is hilarious, Tatters. Too bad the humor will be missed by many here who don't know who Phil Rizzuto is. That must have been one surreal Yankee moment.

It's from a BOOK called "O Holy Cow! The Selected Verse Of Phil Rizzuto". Someone noticed that if you wrote down all the crazy shit Phil said, in verse form, it WORKS as poetry. FUNNY stuff!

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: March 7, 2011 17:16

I'm a big Prince fan since 1985 and this clip exactly shows why....

Date: March 7, 2011 17:18

71Tele
Erik_Snow
guitarbastard
Erik_Snow
guitarbastard

Oh boy, the last time Jeff Lynne invites Prince onstage! I'm sure Prince is up late at night regretting his performance if that is the price he has to pay. smiling smiley

No Prince won't cry over it. Some of you might, tho !

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 7, 2011 19:03

guitarbastard
Erik_Snow
guitarbastard

I think Dhani is just happy to be there and would smile at pretty much anything.

Date: March 7, 2011 19:09

sweetcharmedlife
guitarbastard
Erik_Snow
guitarbastard

I think Dhani is just happy to be there and would smile at pretty much anything.

that's probable ! I would have, too

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1770
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home