Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Great version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 6, 2011 06:18

Thinking about George tonight for some reason and went casting for gems on YouTube. Now, I must say I am not particularly a Prince fan, nor am I a big fan of guitar wanking generally. But the Purple One was truly seized by the Holy Spirit here.

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="

?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value=

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-06 06:20 by 71Tele.

Re: OT: Great version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 6, 2011 06:41

Hey I remember seeing it on TV and being blown away by Prince's performance.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 6, 2011 08:41

Fantastic. So inspiring to see George's son playing on this! He looks like his dad circa Hamburg. Beautiful. Crazy solo! I also am not much of a Prince fan. I respect the guy, he has the chops and this is a great solo.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 6, 2011 08:56

whitem8
So inspiring to see George's son playing on this! He looks like his dad circa Hamburg.

Keith said a couple years ago that he had hung out with Dhani one day, and that Dhani looked so much like his dad Keith kept absently calling him "George."

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: March 6, 2011 10:35

Brilliant.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: March 6, 2011 11:00

That was truly an inspired solo by Prince. He took the song to a whole other level. I saw him play at Madison Square Garden a few weeks ago and it was one of the best concerts I've seen in a long time. He is underrated as a guitarist. Does anybody know who the other guitarist was...the guy playing the sunburst Strat? He was pretty good too.

Date: March 6, 2011 11:12

That's an infamous clip, especially in my circles. What bugs me about the clip is, that as great as Prince is, it underscores how lame Petty and Lynne come off. Prince is clearly taking this song to higher level, and they stay lifeless.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: March 6, 2011 11:22

Well, Jeff Lynne is kind of lame in general, so where can he take the song to? And Petty was probably too stoned to react to the energy Prince was pouring out. The drummer was trying to follow Prince a little more...and the keyboards. And Dhani Harrison seemed to be really getting into it too. i wonder how it would have been if Clapton was there? Maybe Prince would have pushed him into taking a chance and trying to soar a little more than usual. Jeff Beck would have been up to the challenge. He and Prince would have had a great guitar dual. By the way, Prince has such a great guitar tone. He's played that same Hohner Tele-copy most of his life. I wonder what amp and effects he was using?

Date: March 6, 2011 11:24

TornAndFried
That was truly an inspired solo by Prince. He took the song to a whole other level. I saw him play at Madison Square Garden a few weeks ago and it was one of the best concerts I've seen in a long time. He is underrated as a guitarist. Does anybody know who the other guitarist was...the guy playing the sunburst Strat? He was pretty good too.

His name is Marc Mann.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 6, 2011 11:30

Yeah, that definately turned into the prince show at the end. Looks like Dhani enjoyed it though.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 6, 2011 11:46

Thanks for this. So amazing to see Dhani here. It's as if his father's spirit has truly entered him. Everything about him is so George like. Let's hope he makes music as great as his dad did.

Date: March 6, 2011 13:55

thats why prince is one of the greatest musicians of all time

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: March 6, 2011 14:13

i dont really like prince music. but i've been to a prince show some years ago, and he came on stage, just with his guitar and for 10 minutes he played the coolest hendrix-vibe blues stuff with so much attitude und feel i was just blown away!
he is an amazing guitarplayer!!!!
the rest of the gig was fantatstic aswell!

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: March 6, 2011 14:51

this is truly a classic - really magical. does anyone know where his guitar ended up at the end?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 6, 2011 15:05

keefriffhard4life

thumbs up

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: March 6, 2011 15:53

Gazza
keefriffhard4life

thumbs up

i remember an evening a few years ago at the brits awards when there were a number of british guitar bands , and prince showed all of them how to play the guitar and blew them away , ALL of them.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: March 6, 2011 16:00

Brilliant from start to finish. I love Prince just walking off like the Heavyweight Champion of The @#$%& World!

I think Petty and Lynne totally capture the song, with the guitar work building and layering and soaring around them.

Thanks for posting this again. It made my Sunday morning!

Date: March 6, 2011 17:02

straycatblues73
Gazza
keefriffhard4life

thumbs up

i remember an evening a few years ago at the brits awards when there were a number of british guitar bands , and prince showed all of them how to play the guitar and blew them away , ALL of them.

Yep. The clip is on youtube and elsewhere. Great performance. Will dig it out later when I get home.

Always amazes me how oblivious so many people are to what an incredibly gifted musician he is, as if they can't (or havent tried to) see beyond the image.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 6, 2011 17:24

That was sublime!

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: March 6, 2011 17:45

Great, except the solo of Prince who has no feeling for the grandness of the Beatles tune.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: March 6, 2011 17:48

So much for "gently!"

Date: March 6, 2011 17:52

TornAndFried
Well, Jeff Lynne is kind of lame in general, so where can he take the song to? And Petty was probably too stoned to react to the energy Prince was pouring out. The drummer was trying to follow Prince a little more...and the keyboards. And Dhani Harrison seemed to be really getting into it too. i wonder how it would have been if Clapton was there? Maybe Prince would have pushed him into taking a chance and trying to soar a little more than usual. Jeff Beck would have been up to the challenge. He and Prince would have had a great guitar dual. By the way, Prince has such a great guitar tone. He's played that same Hohner Tele-copy most of his life. I wonder what amp and effects he was using?
T&F, that would have been great; to have Clapton or Beck there. IMO another reason this clip is so good is because Prince rarely interacts with rock heavy weights. Very rarely. It would be so interesting for viewers, and hopefully musicians alike, to see what could happen, and where it would lead to.

Date: March 6, 2011 18:35

straycatblues73
Gazza
keefriffhard4life

thumbs up

here ya go, as promised...

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: March 6, 2011 19:08

71Tele
Thinking about George tonight for some reason and went casting for gems on YouTube. Now, I must say I am not particularly a Prince fan, nor am I a big fan of guitar wanking generally. But the Purple One was truly seized by the Holy Spirit here.

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="

?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value=

Yeah, I think he knew he pulled one off there. At one point it seemed as if he looked over at Petty and Lynne and his face said "you guys see what I'm doing over here?"

Date: March 6, 2011 19:11

Palace Revolution 2000
That's an infamous clip, especially in my circles. What bugs me about the clip is, that as great as Prince is, it underscores how lame Petty and Lynne come off. Prince is clearly taking this song to higher level, and they stay lifeless.

I thought the same thing, Palace. It looked like Prince was trying to take everyone with him, and Lynne and Petty weren't gonna go along for the ride. Dhani, on the other hand, looks absolutely joyful.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: March 6, 2011 19:28

Gazza
straycatblues73
Gazza
keefriffhard4life

thumbs up

Just goes to show that Prince was/is more talented than Michael Jackson. He sings, plays guitar and writes great songs.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Date: March 6, 2011 19:51

RobertJohnson
Great, except the solo of Prince who has no feeling for the grandness of the Beatles tune.

Oh, I think he was feeling the grandness, all right....

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: March 6, 2011 20:10

NickB
Gazza
straycatblues73
Gazza
keefriffhard4life

thumbs up

Just goes to show that Prince was/is more talented than Michael Jackson. He sings, plays guitar and writes great songs.

... without any doubt!

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: March 6, 2011 20:39

A great clip, thanks for posting!

Yep no doubt Prince is a great guitar player, very cool.

Is that Steve Winwood on keyboards?

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: March 7, 2011 01:09

Don't mean to be negative (well, actually I do) - but Prince is a cock and a total egomaniac. Everyone else on the stage is paying a respectful tribute to George and that short-ass twat is pulling out Hendrix moves and trying to upstage everyone. I don't even think it was a particularly good solo - all flash and no real emotion, at odds with the song completely. Hard to see clearly the look on Tom Petty's face when Prince starts going dow on his knees and what have you, but I'm sure he's thinking 'What the f@*k is this?!'

No doubt Prince is a hugely talented artist but he's too much of a big-headed meglomaniac to be a team player.

Clapton's solo at the Albert Hall concert for Gerorge is way way superior in my opinion....

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1658
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home